Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage carbon fiber

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 09:37 AM
Hubertus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Maybe this works now!

Repairs done on the rear Fork and stay.

Last edited by Hubertus; 01-27-19 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Another foto
Likes For Hubertus:
Old 01-27-19, 11:18 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Very cool, resembles Aegis.
Old 01-27-19, 11:42 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
^^nice!
Gulf Oil racing livery. Strap on your matching helmet and go, man!

Old 01-27-19, 12:51 PM
Hubertus

Perfect accessory

[QUOTE=crank_addict;20766540]^^nice!
Gulf Oil racing livery. Strap on your matching helmet and go, man!

This is exactly what I need. Where do I find one of these?
Old 02-25-19, 07:07 AM
arronk93

Bikes: Btwin Tilt 120, Vintage Aegis-made carbon roadbike, Olimpia alu frame 16" fold up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everybody,

I hope you all are well, this is my first post here since I just HAD to join after finally getting a lot closer to finding out what my bike is after a ton of searching! I have a bike very similar to one of the Aegis types posted previously although without shifters on the frame. I know very little about it and I would love to learn a bit more because I need a replacement rear derailleur hanger! I will post some pictures tonight after work in the hope that some of you might be able to shed some light on it and maybe tell me a bit more about it.

Oops...I see now I need 10 posts before I can post pictures and also cannot share URLs. Are there any ways around this? I would love to show you all the bike!

Last edited by arronk93; 02-25-19 at 07:09 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 02-25-19, 11:04 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by arronk93
Hello everybody,

I hope you all are well, this is my first post here since I just HAD to join after finally getting a lot closer to finding out what my bike is after a ton of searching! I have a bike very similar to one of the Aegis types posted previously although without shifters on the frame. I know very little about it and I would love to learn a bit more because I need a replacement rear derailleur hanger! I will post some pictures tonight after work in the hope that some of you might be able to shed some light on it and maybe tell me a bit more about it.

Oops...I see now I need 10 posts before I can post pictures and also cannot share URLs. Are there any ways around this? I would love to show you all the bike!
Welcome to the forum. PM sent re: pics.
Old 02-25-19, 11:15 AM
arronk93

Bikes: Btwin Tilt 120, Vintage Aegis-made carbon roadbike, Olimpia alu frame 16" fold up

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Welcome to the forum. PM sent re: pics.
Got them emailed to you, thank you very much!
Old 02-25-19, 12:33 PM
arronk93

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arronk93
Got them emailed to you, thank you very much!
Actually not certain they went through, could you let me know please?
Old 02-25-19, 02:17 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Definitely along the lines of the Aegis offerings.
I see what you mean about an RD hanger.
No doubt one can be fabricated, or perhaps one of the Cannondale RD hangers that clamp onto both sides of the dropout.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-25-19 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 02:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Old 02-25-19, 03:12 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
For a drop-out hanger on a carbon bike, a person should try Calfee. With the repair service, they may have seen this in the past. Certainly they can fabricate Al and Ti bits.

www.calfeedesign.com

Maybe I should post detailed pics of my TetraPro, But I don't think of it as vintage carbon; 130 rear, threadless fork, sporting Campy 10speed, I think of it as my modern carbon bike. Sub-20# in size 60 with bottle cage and pedals. Frame = 3.0lbs. 5 years left on warranty.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-25-19 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 04:50 PM
arronk93

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firstly, thank you very much Robbie for uploading my pictures! Also, thank you to everybody who chipped in for some info on the bike! I have it a few months now but I prefer to use it in dry weather only since I have a daily for commuting to work but it took me so long to get any information at all on it so it's been idle for a while. I haven't had much luck with it in terms of bottom bracket replacement in an incompetent local shop and added to that was a broken derailleur hanger.

I took the DH to another local shop for a potential replacement with no luck so my other choice was having it welded or another one made, costing more than what I paid for the bike itself I think I will check out those links you all suggested and see if I can find one or else I will have to fly back home and make one myself on my little table-top milling machine.

I also wondered if anybody knew anything about T-Gear? I saw in an earlier post that others also couldn't get any results on Google because I'd like to know exactly what my bike is.I did also come across the Aegis site but it seemed just like you said Chuckk that it's not really what you might expect, with no specifications anywhere or anything to do with their older models.

There certainly are some very beautiful steeds posted here, I'm certainly very glad I joined!
Old 03-04-19, 01:53 PM
solidtyres

Bikes: YES

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

My Aegis.
Aegis briefly made track ends for the Aro Svelte frame in the 2000's during Fixed Gear heyday. The track ends were "normale", creating a 120mm rear spacing.
My “abnormale” bike uses 135mm hubs. I machined the track ends to 135mm. I locked the freewheel to create fixed cog function. Cog spacers to create the chain line. 53x19.
This remains my favorite ride, took it out yesterday.

Aegis (the company) is gone. It seems like some factory new-old stock exists.
This ebay account (not mine) created last summer, has some parts now and then:
Account ID “rideaegisbikes”
Old 03-18-19, 07:41 AM
Hubertus

C4 Air One ready to ride.

The C4 is complete now: Campagnolo 8sp. , 3ttt handlebars, San Marco sadle.

Finished at last.

The final product: 8.8 kg!

Cut down to Size!
The only real problem I had were the front brake calipers. Dual action brakes touched the wheels, so I had to modify the single action rear brakes to fit at the front. Also I had to saw off a bit from the brake Pads to clear the fork.
Likes For Hubertus:
Old 04-07-19, 12:57 PM
f1russgp

Bikes: Eddy Merckx 7-eleven corsa extra SLX,Kestrel 4000,1985 Schwinn prologue TT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 13 Posts
Full restoration vintage 1986 Kestrel 4000

Old 05-14-19, 12:36 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
1992 Specialized Epic Carbon

I will try to get a non-indoor photo of this soon, but here is my first-ever vintage carbon fiber framed bike! For us tall guys that need 63cm+ frames, Specialized never made anything "for us", at least for a while initially, which has always baffled me. Why an American company would not offer a 63 or 64cm version of any of their bikes when everyone else did, is beyond me. Steel topped out at 62cm CTT, and carbon at 60cm CTC.

This frameset was a mostly-complete bike (sans wheels and chain, at least) that leaned against a wooden rack near the back of the warehouse section of a local non-profit bike ship that I and others volunteer at. The back of the warehouse is stuffed with bikes, but of course, any decently trained eye can spot the special ones quickly. I knew it was big by looking at it, but also knew through research that Specialized didn't make stuff that was truly my size. I measured this anyway, and it was near 62cm CTT.

A few more weeks go by and this thing is still there. Then one week it's on the peg as a frameset with shifters and a BB (7-speed Shimano 105). I see it on a Tuesday night when volunteering, measure it in some critical dims, and tell myself I'm going to come in the next day (I had it and the rest of the week off) and triple check my measurements, and if that's good, then pick it up. It "did not help" that it was in great shape with only minor clear coat fish-eyeing in a couple of spots (for the carbon) along with nary a dent or scrape. It measured what I would call a "62cm enough" frame (CTT), even if in the catalog it was spec'd as a 60cm CTC. We are laying on the floor of my "smallest frame size I can comfortably fit [while having it look good easily]" and I further tell myself if it's a "meh" ride or just plain too small, then I know the parts I will put on it and can sell it quickly, thus keeping with my fleet reduction plan.

Well, all of these components (on the Epic now) were on my now-sold '85 Peloton frameset, which were on a '91 Cannodale SR800 frameset before being removed due to the Cannondale's lack of cooperation with them (ride and out of saddle climbing) and me. The Peloton was muuuuuch better, but I removed the pieces to be able to sell the frameset. So on they went to the Epic.

And well, it's like Tange Prestige but even better. Except for my Land Shark (also Prestige), in that it's equally good but different in magic ride quality. I've had to look down a few times to see if I had a flat tire. Very very smooth and absorbing of minor bumps and vibrations in the road. Loves to rock back and forth and climb and accelerate out of the saddle. Moves well when in the saddle. It's really low when in the drops, and the exquisite 7400 Dura-Ace levers flare out and make brake actuation in the drops a stretch, buuuuuut it's just a wonderful ride. Smooth arcs in cornering, but you have to "pull it down" into it as it will take a high line as opposed to diving into a corner or "falling into" it naturally. It looks like I have another keeper (or at least super long-term-er).

18.7 lb fully ready, as pictured. Also, this bike just looks so hot--can't stop staring!

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 05-14-19 at 12:42 AM.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-14-19, 01:24 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Come on man...more pics needed.
Very nice ROS.
Old 05-14-19, 04:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
...For us tall guys that need 63cm+ frames, Specialized never made anything "for us", at least for a while initially, which has always baffled me. Why an American company would not offer a 63 or 64cm version of any of their bikes when everyone else did, is beyond me. Steel topped out at 62cm CTT, and carbon at 60cm CTC...
I wonder whether the early lugged carbon tube design had some limitations, or the manufacturers were being exceptionally cautious. Seems like the monocoque frames would be stiffer in the taller frames.
Old 05-14-19, 06:45 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Come on man...more pics needed.
Very nice ROS.
Thanks! I will be working on that! We're going to be rainy for a few days here, but then it'll be dry and I'll see what I can snap.

Originally Posted by canklecat
I wonder whether the early lugged carbon tube design had some limitations, or the manufacturers were being exceptionally cautious. Seems like the monocoque frames would be stiffer in the taller frames.
I remember a Paceline thread where some of the original frame designers/builders commented on the original carbon Allez models, saying they very much overbuilt them to, in essence, ensure durability [both under a stong rider, and over time as our FEA technology along with computing power is immensely more advanced than it was 30 years ago]. Calfee had the crazy gusseting. It'd be nice to try a SuperSix Evo as it's full monocoque carbon and a traditional diamond frame (well, super close).
Old 05-14-19, 06:51 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Much to the chagrin of a couple of people at @smontanaro's bike swap, I sold one of those (52cm) for $40. This drove the price down of the only other bike sold, a Schwinn Speedster.

I was sort of "paying it forward," but with lunch included.
Old 05-14-19, 06:58 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

I forgot to mention that the 18.7 lb weight it actually heavier than my all aluminum 1991 Cannondale SR800, which came in at 18.5 lb with these exact components. This Epic looks great, but man, that Cannondale looked like it was born to have those pieces on it.
Old 05-14-19, 08:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

New to me Trekenstein 5900, probably a 1993, according to the friendly neighborhood Trek dealer. It's a stew of original and replacement bits and bobs.

It's purple, not blue. I think Trek called the color "Abyss." Identification is tricky online because purple is notoriously difficult to reproduce accurately, both film and digital. Varies with the color temperature of the light, white balance, camera sensor and internal processing, and the viewer's display. My phone usually captures the purple color, depending on ambient light. My Nikon jpegs default to blue, so I make color corrections in Lightroom.

IOW, some of those blue Trek 5900's you see online might be purple.

It's been through a few changes since I got it from texaspandj in April. He set it up just fine, but of course I had to mess it up.

He told me the 5900 wouldn't feel much different from my Ironman, and it's true. Lighter, sure. But a reassuringly familiar ride, so handling is pretty much the same.

I swapped between Nitto B65LL and Cinelli Eubios drops, and back to the Nitto. The B65LL feels like a compact version of my Ironman's WinPista drops. The Cinelli felt awkward when I'd stand to pedal while in the drops. I'll use it on a future gravel bike project.

And I've swapped between black tape and, currently, hi-viz yellow Arundel Synth Gecko. The latter is well padded but heavy and tricky to wrap gracefully. It tends to look meaty, like deformed sausages. I'll switch back to black foam tape soon. The Synth Gecko might go on my hybrid's albatross bar.

And I've switched from the excellent Dura-Ace downtube shifters to MicroShift brifters. Easier to shift while standing to climb.

The barely padded black Selle Italia suits my narrow bony butt better, dunno why. At least with padded shorts or bibs. Too much padding chafes the down-under.

Anyway, fun bike. Especially on climbs, always my weakness.

But I still ride the Ironman more often. It's more comfortable on our bombed out pavement.
Current version of Trekenstein. Other pix wouldn't upload.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-14-19 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 02:08 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

@Chuckk they both look lovely, but I really think the red/black (second) is beautiful. I think it's the red (I'd like another 60cm in addition to my blue one, just because of that). Very cool note on the weights of both--thank you for that!

Marketing against the OCLV Treks could very likely have been difficult as the Treks looked futuristic and the Specialized models looked a lot more traditional, but I find the Specs to be proportioned very well, and the Treks to be a bit awkward. Not that I'd turn away a 62cm Trek frameset in good shape for a great price, but, you know...
Old 05-15-19, 02:35 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
New to me Trekenstein 5900, probably a 1993, according to the friendly neighborhood Trek dealer. It's a stew of original and replacement bits and bobs.

It's purple, not blue. I think Trek called the color "Abyss." Identification is tricky online because purple is notoriously difficult to reproduce accurately, both film and digital. Varies with the color temperature of the light, white balance, camera sensor and internal processing, and the viewer's display. My phone usually captures the purple color, depending on ambient light. My Nikon jpegs default to blue, so I make color corrections in Lightroom.

IOW, some of those blue Trek 5900's you see online might be purple.

It's been through a few changes since I got it from texaspandj in April. He set it up just fine, but of course I had to mess it up.

He told me the 5900 wouldn't feel much different from my Ironman, and it's true. Lighter, sure. But a reassuringly familiar ride, so handling is pretty much the same.

I swapped between Nitto B65LL and Cinelli Eubios drops, and back to the Nitto. The B65LL feels like a compact version of my Ironman's WinPista drops. The Cinelli felt awkward when I'd stand to pedal while in the drops. I'll use it on a future gravel bike project.

And I've swapped between black tape and, currently, hi-viz yellow Arundel Synth Gecko. The latter is well padded but heavy and tricky to wrap gracefully. It tends to look meaty, like deformed sausages. I'll switch back to black foam tape soon. The Synth Gecko might go on my hybrid's albatross bar.

And I've switched from the excellent Dura-Ace downtube shifters to MicroShift brifters. Easier to shift while standing to climb.

The barely padded black Selle Italia suits my narrow bony butt better, dunno why. At least with padded shorts or bibs. Too much padding chafes the down-under.

Anyway, fun bike. Especially on climbs, always my weakness.

But I still ride the Ironman more often. It's more comfortable on our bombed out pavement.
Current version of Trekenstein. Other pix wouldn't upload.
That's a pretty Blue that I know it ain't, it's a purty Purple.
Looking good C-Cat. Now about that 7 speed DT shifter....
Old 05-15-19, 04:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by texaspandj
That's a pretty Blue that I know it ain't, it's a purty Purple.
Looking good C-Cat.
I messed it up last night. Put on some plain black Eclypse brand bar wrap. Ugh. Bad bar wrap.

I'm going back to the festive yellow wrap. It sorta sets off the clash between the purple frame, blue cable housing and my plaid shorts.

Now about that 7 speed DT shifter....[/QUOTE]

You need it back? I'm kinda surprised you let a bit of Dura-Ace treasure sneak off on that bike.

The MicroShift 7-speed brifters were from a local friend. He bought 'em by mistake, thinking they were 8-speed years ago. By the time he noticed it was too late to return them. They work great so I'll keep 'em on the Trekenstein.

I still like my downtube shifters on the Ironman. Now that I have the Suntour GPX group dialed in I'm a happy camper. It snick-snicks quick and quiet now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.