Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Athena 11-speed after 4 years: junk

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo Athena 11-speed after 4 years: junk

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 06:09 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Well seeing how this is the CV forum I’ll say it, the original Campagnolo SR/NR components on my 77 TX900 still work great, after all these years.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 06-10-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 11:55 AM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
I think I can still purchase 11-speed Potenza shifters that are compatible. I think I recall that UltraShift parts (Record, Chorus, etc) are not compatible in terms of cable pull?
Potenza and Athena levers are not inter-compatibe.
Different cable pull to derailleur movement ratio.
Likes For gfk_velo:
Old 06-10-20, 12:09 PM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by Choke
That shifter is Powershift and yes, it's a poor design internally. The powershift design was changed at some point because the early design had problems. You could rebuild it if you find the part.

The smart thing to do is to buy used Ultrashift Ergos and transfer your silver brake and shift blades over to it. It will work fine with your Athena derailleurs, I have a bike with Athena that I shift with Chorus Ergos.
It's not necessarily quite that simple.

Chorus Ergos work fine with older version (2009-2011) Athena RDs.

More recent Athena RDs don't work as well with CH, RE and SR Ergos, especially in cases with more complicated cable runs.
The earlier Athena levers were UltraShift and the RD return springs were designed to correctly drive the internal, which need >1kg of "return pull" on the cable.

Later RDs used a reduced strength spring, to work correctly with the PowerShift levers - around 850-900g.
Mixing the RDs with stronger springs with PowerShift levers can lead to early failure of the lever.

You can "get away with" the Powershift-compatible RDs with CH, RE and SR Ergos if you have simple cable runs and are careful with set-up.
In a fully compatible Campag assembly, with new parts, from the "perfect" sweet spot for cable tension, there is an approximate 1/2 turn of tolerance in either direction which will still give an acceptable shift. In a mimatched situation, that tolerance falls to more like 1/4 turn each way, so the initial set up is more fussy and the accuracy of the setting drifts with wear and tear much more quickly.

Early PowerShift levers were fine so long as mechanics didn't spray volatile mineral-oil based lubricants into them. The levers do not require lubrication of the internals but a lot of mechanics, professional and amateur, seem to do this as a default action ... We ran a fleet of PowerShift-equipped bikes from 2012 until 2017 without any vestige of a problem. The mineral oil gets absorbed by the plastics and softens.Later levers (Feb 2014 onwards), white cable bushings) used a different plastic (Delrin) which is more oil resistant but mineral oils are still a bad idea.
Likes For gfk_velo:
Old 06-10-20, 12:35 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by gfk_velo
...Early PowerShift levers were fine so long as mechanics didn't spray volatile mineral-oil based lubricants into them. The levers do not require lubrication of the internals but a lot of mechanics, professional and amateur, seem to do this as a default action ... We ran a fleet of PowerShift-equipped bikes from 2012 until 2017 without any vestige of a problem. The mineral oil gets absorbed by the plastics and softens.Later levers (Feb 2014 onwards), white cable bushings) used a different plastic (Delrin) which is more oil resistant but mineral oils are still a bad idea.
Thanks for explaining the spring-tension differences.

Can we assume then that the factory lubricant inside of the shifters is silicone-based?
Silicone, often enhanced with Teflon, seems to be the preferred lubricant around plastics and cable paths these days.
Old 06-10-20, 01:07 PM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by dddd
Thanks for explaining the spring-tension differences.

Can we assume then that the factory lubricant inside of the shifters is silicone-based?
Silicone, often enhanced with Teflon, seems to be the preferred lubricant around plastics and cable paths these days.
The factory lubricant is Kluber Isoflex NB52 Topas grease.
So long as users don't wash it out with degreasers or other volatiles, the lubricationis good for 3 or 4 years. If the levers need lubrication beyond that time, we can strip, clean and reassemble at the Service Centres or Kluber make a spray version of the grease that coagulates post spraying. The rotation of the lever doesn't require lubrication so much as it requires corrosion to be controlled - having said which, it's a steel spindle running inside a phosphor bronze bushing so corrosion, other than in really extreme circumstances, is not a problem. The grease in the front and rear sections of the lever is generally sufficient to keep the pivot dry, and in any case, galvanic corrosion steel : phosphor bronze is very slow indeed.

AFAIK and checking on the COSHH information for the Kluber product, the oil component of the grease is a synthetic non-volatile, not mineral-base.
Likes For gfk_velo:
Old 06-10-20, 08:17 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Update: so I drove out to Yellow Jersey. He says they replace the whole bodies on those. He said even for rebuildable Records, unless you do it yourself it is almost as cost effective to buy a replacement body.

He had a lot of spare bodies. Not for Athena. He then called a Campagnolo contact. No part available in the U.S. and would have to order from Italy.

Fiddled with it for a solid 90+ minutes (I could not find an Athena schematic). It was more than just screw backing out-- the entire assembly had to be bent back so that the screw could even reach the threads. Then I had to futz with getting the gear in the right position. Then I futzed with trying to get the spring in there while having the gear in the right position. After 90+ minutes... I THINK I MAY HAVE IT TEMPORARILY FIXED. Once I got it back together in a way that I think works, I backed out the screw one more time (while levering the assembly in position to the threads reach) and then applied Blue Loctite.

We'll see. What a junky design/product. I guess I should have paid more for Record! (I went for the silver look). Or should have just gone Shimano.

Last edited by ppg677; 06-10-20 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 08:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Good job! I know how such repairs can take up a lotta time, and I've read up on getting the parts assembled around that spring.

Hoping it works.
Old 06-10-20, 08:32 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Update: so I drove out to Yellow Jersey. He says they replace the whole bodies on those. He said even for rebuildable Records, it is often just easier/better to replace the whole body.

He had a lot of spare bodies. Not for Athena. Called a Campagnolo contact. Out in United States. Would have to order from Italy.

Now there is no schematic for Athena.

Fiddled with it for a solid 90 minutes. It was more than just screw backing out-- the entire assembly had to be bent back so that the screw could even reach the threads. Then I had to futz with getting the gear in the right position. Then I futzed with trying to get the spring in there while having the gear in the right position. After 90+ minutes... I THINK I MAY HAVE IT TEMPORARILY FIXED. Once I got it back together in a way that I think works, I backed out the screw one more time (while levering the assembly in position to the threads reach) and then applied Blue Loctite.

We'll see. What a junky design/product. I guess I should have paid more for Record! (I went for the silver look).
What a let down! I would have thought campy stuff these days was pretty robust. From what Choke said it sounds like they fixed it in newer models at least. That's sadly no consolation for you though.
Old 06-10-20, 10:42 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Potenza and Athena levers are not inter-compatibe.
Different cable pull to derailleur movement ratio.
Is there anything else compatible with 2016 Athena derailleurs?

Athena seems hard to come by, and I'm fully expecting to have to replace shifters in the near future. Would be nice to keep the derailleurs.
Old 06-10-20, 11:47 PM
gfk_velo

Is there anything else compatible with 2016 Athena derailleurs?

Athena seems hard to come by, and I'm fully expecting to have to replace shifters in the near future. Would be nice to keep the derailleurs.
Unfortunately, not - Athena was, like Potenza and Centaur are now, basically stand-alone.

Lever bodies are freely available, so the best thing might be to pick up a couple of bodies only - any UltraShift brake lever blade will fit the bodies.

Depending on the material of the inner lever, the part numbers are:

EC-AT200 (RH, 2012-2014 version with thumb lever at 90 degrees to lever body), EC-AT201 (LH 2012-2014 version with thumb lever at 90 degrees to lever body) Silver inner lever
EC-AT200B (RH, 2012-2014 version with thumb lever at 90 degrees to lever body), EC-AT201B (LH 2012-2014 version with thumb lever at 90 degrees to lever body) Black alloy inner lever
EC-AT100 (RH, 2012-2014 version with thumb lever at 90 degrees to lever body), EC-AT101 (LH 2012-2014 version with thumb lever at 90 degrees to lever body) Composite inner lever

EC-AT400A (RH, 2012-2014 version with "dropped" thumb lever), EC-AT301 (LH 2012-2014 version with"dropped" thumb leve) Silver inner lever
EC-AT400C (RH, 2012-2014 version with "dropped" thumb lever), EC-AT301 (LH 2012-2014 version with"dropped" thumb lever) Composite inner lever

Last edited by gfk_velo; 06-10-20 at 11:55 PM.
Likes For gfk_velo:
Old 06-11-20, 06:38 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Another great expert in Ergopower and all else Campy is Peter Chisolm, known as "oldpotatoe" on The Paceline and at times on BF. You can probably find him listed in the Members section here.
Indeed Peter Chisholm is very Campagnolo. On rec.bicycles.tech Usenet group he used to post with the signature qui si Campagnolo. He no longer posts there.

Cheers
Old 06-11-20, 12:29 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Indeed Peter Chisholm is very Campagnolo. On rec.bicycles.tech Usenet group he used to post with the signature qui si Campagnolo. He no longer posts there.

Cheers
Yes, I remember that, and that he posted it at his shop; qui si parle Campagnolo, which I don't know what it means. In French "qui se parle en Campagnolo" would be "here we speak in Campagnolo" but I don't think I can do any better using Google Translate. I always thought it meant "here we speak Campagnolo," but I dunno.
Old 06-11-20, 01:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yes, I remember that, and that he posted it at his shop; qui si parle Campagnolo, which I don't know what it means. In French "qui se parle en Campagnolo" would be "here we speak in Campagnolo" but I don't think I can do any better using Google Translate. I always thought it meant "here we speak Campagnolo," but I dunno.
I get the same translation with Google Translate under Italian. SInce he works at Vecchio's Bicletteria, it makes sens that it'd be the plural 'we'.

He was a great help on many things Campagnolo related.

Cheers
Old 06-11-20, 05:03 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I get the same translation with Google Translate under Italian. SInce he works at Vecchio's Bicletteria, it makes sens that it'd be the plural 'we'.

He was a great help on many things Campagnolo related.

Cheers
He didn't just work at Vecchio's, he was the owner. A couple of years ago he sold it and retired, though he still builds wheels and does Ergo overhauls. He's active over on the Paceline.
Likes For Choke:
Old 06-11-20, 05:09 PM
Miele Man

He didn't just work at Vecchio's, he was the owner. A couple of years ago he sold it and retired, though he still builds wheels and does Ergo overhauls. He's active over on the Paceline.
That's good to know. Thanks.

Cheers
Old 06-11-20, 05:19 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

I forgot to add...his tag line was a play on a sign that some shops used to have in the window.

Old 06-11-20, 06:51 PM
ppg677

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Well at least I learned out to take this piece off and reassemble. Because I swung over to my local local bike shop and asked for a shift cable for my Campagnolo shifter. Well they gave me a shift cable that I tried, and it got completely stuck. Wouldn't shift, couldn't get the cable out.

So I dissembled that piece. Brought out my caliper and measured the cable end fitting at 4.39mm. And apparently Campagnolo end barrel diamer is 4.04mm (yeah, .35mm difference) and the bike shop gave me a Shimano cable.

Bad bike shop? Maybe. But I blame Campagnolo for being asinine enough to use an end barrel diameter is 0.35mm smaller and then a Shimano end barrel and can get stuck in the cheap-ass plastic fitting. Never again.

Old 06-11-20, 08:57 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Well at least I learned out to take this piece off and reassemble. Because I swung over to my local local bike shop and asked for a shift cable for my Campagnolo shifter. Well they gave me a shift cable that I tried, and it got completely stuck. Wouldn't shift, couldn't get the cable out.

So I dissembled that piece. Brought out my caliper and measured the cable end fitting at 4.39mm. And apparently Campagnolo end barrel diamer is 4.04mm (yeah, .35mm difference) and the bike shop gave me a Shimano cable.

Bad bike shop? Maybe. But I blame Campagnolo for being asinine enough to use an end barrel diameter is 0.35mm smaller and then a Shimano end barrel and can get stuck in the cheap-ass plastic fitting. Never again.
I get your frustration but you should blame Shimano. Campy has been using the same size head on their derailleur cables for over 60 years, long before Shimano parts were stocked in the average bike shop.

Some sandpaper or a Dremel and a couple of minutes will allow the Shimano cable to work.
Likes For Choke:
Old 06-12-20, 09:31 AM
ppg677

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I get your frustration but you should blame Shimano. Campy has been using the same size head on their derailleur cables for over 60 years, long before Shimano parts were stocked in the average bike shop.

Some sandpaper or a Dremel and a couple of minutes will allow the Shimano cable to work.
Fair enough. In this case Shimano was assinine for not adopting a pre-existing standard that is only 0.35mm different!

That said, I now understand better why most of my local bike shops don't bother with Campagnolo. (I was always curious why an entire high-end shop could be filled with bikes from several different brands without anything having Campagnolo components).
Old 06-12-20, 09:53 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I also blame the bike shop guys at least partly, who like many on BF (no names) blithely assume that Campy and Shimano use the same standards, and that Campy follows Shimano. In this neither company is perfect. Bike shop guy should have said "Campy or Shimano?" before sending you on your way. The bike shops are not perfect, either. Maybe we need autonomous-driven bike shops!

Home some of us, like me, are getting the lessons we've learned reminded, and that some of us whom are newer in this are discovering the sorts of things they should watch out for. Benefitting from seeing other people's problems and how they solve them is one of the advantages of a big forum like BF, limited to C&V or more broadly!

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-12-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-12-20, 10:09 AM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Hmmm, that is very disappointing indeed. I've run 10 speed Chorus for years, and it's bomb proof. But I've only ever rebuilt Shimano STI's, so hopefully my Campy doesn't crap out like this.
Old 06-12-20, 10:09 AM
Miele Man

Fair enough. In this case Shimano was assinine for not adopting a pre-existing standard that is only 0.35mm different!

That said, I now understand better why most of my local bike shops don't bother with Campagnolo. (I was always curious why an entire high-end shop could be filled with bikes from several different brands without anything having Campagnolo components).
Years ago before I learned to grind down the shifter head to fir, I rode all over the area and visited many bicycle shops whilst trying to find shifter cables with Campagnolo ends. Even the shop that sold Campagnolo components didn't have the Campagnolo end shifter cables. INCONCEIVABLE! LOL

Cheers
Old 06-12-20, 10:11 AM
Miele Man

I forgot to add...his tag line was a play on a sign that some shops used to have in the window.

Neat!

Cheers
Old 06-12-20, 01:36 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I think the problem is that you referred to them as STI in your original post, and they clearly got insulted in a made-in-Italy kind of way.
What are you trying to say? Aren't lame generalizations like this frowned upon these days? But good on you for happily participating in the race to the bottom.

It's not necessarily quite that simple.
Chorus Ergos work fine with older version (2009-2011) Athena RDs.
More recent Athena RDs don't work as well with CH, RE and SR Ergos, especially in cases with more complicated cable runs.
The earlier Athena levers were UltraShift and the RD return springs were designed to correctly drive the internal, which need >1kg of "return pull" on the cable.
Later RDs used a reduced strength spring, to work correctly with the PowerShift levers - around 850-900g.
Mixing the RDs with stronger springs with PowerShift levers can lead to early failure of the lever.
Thanks for all of this useful info.

Are the 'Square and Circle' rear derailleurs the ones with the 850-900g spring rating? By 'Square and Circle,' I mean the Centaur and Veloce series that featured square and circle graphics behind the group names. I know that on the inside of the boxes for these parts, there is a sticker recommending to use them with other parts from the square/circle series (is there another name that people use for those parts?).

Woah, relax. You still haven't explained why your rear brake "stopped returning," which is something I've never heard of in a skeleton brake that hasn't been abused, and all of this is starting to make me think there was some user error involved. How do we know you installed and routed the cables properly?
Old 06-12-20, 02:40 PM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by robertorolfo

Thanks for all of this useful info.

Are the 'Square and Circle' rear derailleurs the ones with the 850-900g spring rating? By 'Square and Circle,' I mean the Centaur and Veloce series that featured square and circle graphics behind the group names. I know that on the inside of the boxes for these parts, there is a sticker recommending to use them with other parts from the square/circle series (is there another name that people use for those parts?).
Basically it breaks down like this ...
  • Athena - if the top pivot bolt is chromed steel, silver, it's the stronger spring. If it's black alloy, it's the PowerShift version with the 850-900g spring.
  • If the Veloce or Centaur RD you are looking at is the same shape as an 11s RD, it's designed for PowerShift (and will work equally well with the old rounded-top Escape shifters, although officially, this was never factory-tested). These are the "Square and Circle" types.
  • If the Veloce or Centaur RD is old "10s shape" it's trickier - but you can look at the shape of the return spring inside the parallelogram, where it is clearly visible. If the free end of the spring is semi-circular in shape, it's the stronger spring. If it is more like 3/4 of a circle, it's the spring designed for Escape / PowerShift.
I'm glad someone else mentioned the fact that the size of nipple on the end of a derailleur cable was modified by Shimano - Campag had indeed used the same spec since the beginning of cable-operated derailleurs and the standard was adopted by every other maker - Rino, Galli, Ofmega, Gipiemme, Zeus, Huret - the list goes on - until Shimano rocked up and chose to change it. Still a mystery to me, all these years later (but in fairness to Shimano, they must have had a good reason ...)

Campagnolo offer free of charge technical training to UK retailers - I know, because I run it. What is another mystery to me, is why so few choose to make use of it. Campagnolo, Shimano and SRAM all have technical differences. That doesn't make one better or worse than another, just different. It's worth knowing the differences, (or at the very least, knowing there *is* a difference) if you want to position yourself as a professional mechanic or shop ...

Last edited by gfk_velo; 06-12-20 at 03:00 PM.
Likes For gfk_velo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.