Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge #8

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge #8

Old 06-01-22, 03:06 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 141 Posts
Needed an excuse to buy a new bike. Thanks. Ended up paying $40. I cannot believe how nice this thing is. Watching the Suntour Symetric Shifters do their thing is worth the price of admission alone!

Old 06-01-22, 03:14 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,848 Times in 1,435 Posts
I hit strike two on the front derailleur today, as I realized that the Cyclone front derailleur wasn't compatible with the cable stops on my frame. I'm sure there's something I could do to make it work, but it's made for a piece of cable housing between the frame's brazed on cable stop (original, not Gugificazione) and the front derailleur. So, back to plan C, with a SunTour 7 front derailleur from my parts drawer.

This looks pretty good on the bike, and in the 1979 SunTour catalog it appeared immediately below the NSL that was original equipment for this bike. But as I looked it up in the 1979 catalog, I discovered that the NSL front derailleur had a feature I'd never seen before, and now I'm really bummed that this one was busted when I got it.

How cool is that?!
Old 06-01-22, 08:58 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 629 Posts
This may not look like it's a big deal, but this baby is my salvation. There isn't much in the way of flat roads in these parts, with even the greenway trail having a couple boogers of climbs along it, so having three speeds is a necessity for me. The original cable on the twist shift was far too long for my build, and I have been contemplating how to bodge together an arrangement with two brake yoke nuts and four washers to attempt to splice two free cable ends into a single working unit, and yeah... I was dreading that. Just goes to show that it can pay to attempt to re-organize your messes. I got tired of keeping track of what was in eight or ten large tubs and sprung for a ten-pack of smaller ones. In the process of plucking brake parts, bottom bracket related items, shifters parts and headset items into the new, small containers I stumbled across this vaguely-remembered treasure. I'm not 100% sure whether it came from a generous soul who also gifted me a few surplus indicator chains, or whether I plucked it from a Box-o-crap, but free fits my tight remaining budget, whereas $9.00 to get one from e-Bay or Ben's does not.

I should be putting miles onto the bumblebee this weekend.

Old 06-01-22, 09:59 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,079 Posts
I popped a spoke today so I’ll be attempting the challenge on as-is wheels with one front spoke replaced. My 78 Motobecane also has galvanized spokes and every nipple turned so it was worth reaching the breaking point here. I have a fantasy of putting some Mavic tubular rims on these lowly Normandy hubs so it’s all good.
Old 06-01-22, 10:14 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
This may not look like it's a big deal, but this baby is my salvation.
I love how this story captures the essence of the challenge. I spent time this afternoon rooting through all the drawers in my toolbox hoping to find a leftover cables that I can recycle, so I definitely relate to your struggle. One of the cables I found is frayed over the last ten inches or so, but I might be able to make it work as a front shifter.
Old 06-02-22, 02:19 AM
Andy_K 

I finished my build tonight (or should I say "this morning") and couldn't wait for the sun to come up to take a picture and share it!

(I swear the camera distortion is making those brake cables look longer than they really are, though even without the distortion they're a bit too long.)

The budget as it sits now:

Original purchase: $60
Paint and primer: $18
Bottle bosses: $5
SunTour 7 front derailleur: $5
Handlebar tape: $8
Cables (scavenged from garage scraps): $5

Current total: $101

I bought some decals from lettering.com that I think look pretty close to the original, but unfortunately they'll have to sit until the challenge is over because I don't have room left in my budget for them. O, the sacrifice!
Old 06-02-22, 04:16 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked 2,895 Times in 1,843 Posts
Nice job Andy, Looks great for the second year in a row!. I like how you used extra handlebar tape to cushion the levers in lieu of the pricier hoods!

Love especially the extra long cables for sharp turns!

There's a reason there aren't many NSL derailleurs around and tons of AR, SL and Sevens.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 06-02-22, 07:31 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 250 Posts
The bike looks great! It's just the camera angle making those cables look longer Andy. Don
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 06-02-22, 07:43 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 6,528 Times in 2,568 Posts
Andy, maybe you should attach a series of flags to all of that cable housing? Celebrate Japan! Celebrate Centurion!

Old 06-02-22, 07:46 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 940 Posts
This where I came from, Cottonwood rd.Foster rd leading into Oregon
Foster rd leading east slight north of the border to Reser rd and the Five mile rd.
Cottonwood rd leading to gravel and the top of Pike's Peak rd

42 mile on the Paramount with a tally of 107 miles.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 06-02-22, 08:51 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by nlerner
Andy, maybe you should attach a series of flags to all of that cable housing? Celebrate Japan! Celebrate Centurion!

This is the real reason I need aero brake levers. Every time I build a bike with non-aero brakes (check my Flickr feed, literally every time) the cables look fine to me in the garage, then I take a picture and look at it and ask myself “what kind of fool made those cables so long?” I’m just pathologically unable to get this right.
Old 06-02-22, 08:56 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
This where I came from, Cottonwood rd....
I would love riding there.
Old 06-02-22, 04:50 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 141 Posts
Step 1

reflector!
Step 2, repurposed into bike computer mount.

bent up with Campagnolo reflector bracket plier set (Campagnolo tool 162 a)
Step 3: ready to measure stuff from satellite beams
Old 06-03-22, 09:22 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Clunker Challenge No. 8 Conclusion

I needed 9/10 of a mile to complete my 100 km for the challenge - but that was barely worth pumping up the tires. I wound up taking a relatively leisurely ramble over roads I traveled 40 years ago, figuring traffic would be light at mid-morning. I decided the night before that I could no longer stand the green bar tape, and I took the modern but slightly crumbly black tape from a bike I was gifted a week ago and combined it with scraps from the bin o’ recycled bar tape to make the bike look slightly more presentable. I also readjusted the rear hub cones, which had loosened up, as had the headset.

Mechanical stuff done, I rolled out Northside all the way to the local airport and explored. Even on a slow day I think I saw 3/4 of Greenwood’s Range Rovers parked out there. It’s a cute little airport for small planes, and they’re probably sprucing up for the air show in a couple of weeks.

That done, I rolled out past the Leith Women’s Correctional Facility (home to Sharon Smith, convicted of murdering her own children) and the local Humane Society before looping around through the hidden industrial park area. I wasn’t fast enough deploying my phone’s camera to catch the two white-tail deer at the roadside.

From there I rode down to see what was happening with the bridge on Airport Road that has been closed for most of a year now. Apparently nothing. I briefly considered bypassing the barriers and crossing to take Laurel Avenue back home, but I am older and wiser now. I will candidly admit that 20-odd years ago I crossed over a closed bridge in Abbeville County by walking across on a steel I-beam in Look-cleated shoes, carrying my bike on my shoulder, but I like to think I’m wiser now.

That done, I made my way to Deadfall Road and climbed the hill, realizing that it’s not as bad a hill as I once thought it was, then turning back to enjoy the descent. A quick victory lap around the apartment complex and I was done. Clunker Challenge No. 8 is now in the books for me with 16.7 km today for a total of 115.8 km!

Total expenditure -

$15.00 - acquisition of the bike
$10.70 - pair of used tires, plus tax
$4.00 - value of one used and one new shift cable from the stash
$5.00 - value of one used Vetta saddle scavenged from another clunker
$0.00 - value of used Look pedals given to me with a free bike
$0.00 - value of scavenged nasty green bar tape
$0.00 - value of replacement black bar tape from bike given to me

$34.70, my second-cheapest Clunker yet!
Old 06-03-22, 11:47 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Well, this is how Bumblebee looks with everything installed. I have noticed that the front wheel doesn't turn freely, but I'm hoping that's just a quick cone adjustment. After setting up the shift mechanism, it seems the grip shifter isn't completely compatible with the hub - which means that, due to my budget constraint, two speeds will have to do. I am rather looking forward to riding it this weekend, and to taking a series of photos of it in the wilds of the Roanoke River greenway. Also note that the fender lines are not cooperating in the way that they usually do for me. c'est la vie.

Old 06-04-22, 06:59 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Been a while. Looking forward to finishing. Rode with a water bottle for the first time today. It's been hot out.

Today 8 miles 550 ft
Total 88.5 miles , 4980 ft
Old 06-04-22, 07:01 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Soooo... I took care of some matters around the house and eagerly carted Bumblebee off to the trailhead at the Greenway. I affixed a pump peg for the black Zefal pump that works with Schraeder valves, attached the bag with the toolkit and spare under the saddle, and the one with my wallet and phone to the handlebars and set off. I gingerly negotiated the sweeping downhill with a sharp left under the bridge - being respectful of my less than stellar brakes and the jogger who was just a bit ahead. I tested out my shifting (yay! medium and high on the Sturmey Archer 3-speed were dialed in) and was just establishing a cadence when phone rang. It's my wife from far away, so I stop to take it. Chat for a bit, put phone back, put foot on pedal... phone again. Wife again. This one is shorter.

Start to pedal and there noise and resistance that I shouldn't be feeling from the rear. I look down in horror to see that the rear tire has unseated. Who knew 65 psi was too much for those old steel rims?!? I came to a stop and decided to lower the PSI some and get the tire re-seated. The front seemed to be doing fine at 60 psi, so piece of cake. The instant I lifted the bicycle up to invert it. BANG!

Yes. I did raise my voice. I don't think the people a couple hundred yards off time-trialing heard me though, and when they did pass by me I was too preoccupied to give them a disapproving look.

Now I generally have no problem with changing tubes, but this thing has a coaster brake and the head on the bolt is beyond strange AND the wrench that fits the rear axle is 0.17 miles back in the vehicle. I walked Bumblebee back to the car, took stock of what needs to be done differently for the remaining 99.83 miles, and called it a day. This evening, I changed everything out in preparation for tomorrow when I hope to try again.
Old 06-04-22, 10:14 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Finally got around to sharing my photos from the rides that got me past 100 miles. Some nice views of Miami University, Hueston Woods north of Oxford, Ohio as well as West College Corner, Indiana.

Millett Hall, Miami University

Miami University Art Museum

Sculpture at Miami University Art Museum

Hueston Woods State Park

Hueston Woods Covered Bridge

West College Corner, IN

Church in West College Corner, IN
Likes For molleraj:
Old 06-04-22, 10:25 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
I wonder if I should submit a second entry to the Clunker Challenge. I rode my $70 Panasonic Sport Deluxe 21 miles today (to Great Falls and back, on the Maryland side). It rode like a champ. The only upgrades are a $2 light, a $10 bike computer mount, and a few cents of oil on the chain. So I guess $82 total?

Circa 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe
Likes For molleraj:
Old 06-05-22, 12:02 AM
Classtime 

3 coats of wax on the PA10 and it looks good enough to start assembly. The headset was a struggle—I must of damaged something while I was banging out the remnants of the death stem and had to use the Channel locks on the knurled bearing race. After much fudging around with it last night and marine greasy bearings going here and there, I finally got things settled and then, I saw three ball bearings didn’t make it back into the lower race. They went in this morning with all the threaded pieces behaving as they should.

I had been trying to message some life back into the Mafac Racers and got I one pretty smooth. The other might work fine on the bike. We’ll see. Some Kool Stops arrived last night and an adjuster for one of the levers arrived today.

The wheels got tuned up between honey dos and I dialed back my fantasy of using this particular Normandy Sport hub set on a future tubular wheel set. I replaced the spoke I broke on the front wheel and also one on the rear that had snapped off at the hub. Fingers crossed that there won’t be more snapping while i do the 100 miles. I splurged on rubber rim strips and I think I got those weird Simplex quick releases working. The dry and crumbling tires that came with the bike should get me through the challenge if I don’t push it.

$20 Koolstops and $10 adjuster.

Rear wheel must be true.

Need a good LBS to true these.

Clunker Tire

Another clunker tire

This will be covered with equally nasty Atom FW.

These are weird but I think I get them both working.

Last edited by Classtime; 06-05-22 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Add pics
Old 06-05-22, 12:21 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

So yay? Today happens to be the day of the Roanoke Ironman 70.3. I heard about it on the local news this morning, and they said it was taking place in a park that's well away from where I normally venture, so I make a mental note to go out there next year and watch it. So fast forward about 90 minutes when I am in my car heading over to the greenway to see about putting in two passes of the 11.xx circuit that I am familiar with and about halfway there, traffic is absolutely crawling. Clearly something is up, and after getting maybe half a mile in 15 minutes, I see lights and a flashing sign off to the side of the road saying there is a bike race taking place and to expect delays. I get to a place where I can turn and take back roads to the greenway trailhead, and as I get there, I see it is roped off and there is a series of pavilions where people are cheering on and handing out drinks to runners.

Oh great! I was here less than 24 hours ago and there were no notices about any such thing. I'm plenty steamed, but since I'm here with the bike, I figure I might as well ride it a bit to give it a better shakedown. Well, long story short, I follow signs to another portion of the greenway where I haven't been before and follow it up a rather steep hill. I used the pause to say hello to the deer in someone's backyard and to raise the seat post about a half inch and to re-level the saddle and tighten down the saddle clamp. After walking up the hill, I gingerly go down the other side - negotiating switchbacks and bridges until I see this segment merges with a section I am familiar with. I have about a mile that I can ride before I need to turn around. I figure I'll do this a few times and then go back to the car.

At mile 3.0 or so, I'm at the turnaround, and I see people who are obviously Ironman competitors on the adjacent road who are not exactly blazing a trail to the finish. I realize I am definitely NOT going to be able to access the segment of the greenway that I had planned on today, and begin considering other options and also how to communicate to the organizers how deficient they were at both traffic control;and notifying the impacted community of trail users. I complete my first "circuit", and about a quarter of the way into my second, I attempt to nudge down the nose of my saddle which has shifted again despite really torquing down on the nuts. I hear a "pling" simultaneously with the dull sound of something else hitting the pavement. As I'm going no more than 6mph at that instant, I am able to stop immediately, and I see that the nose of the scavenged Brook B-17 is no more.

Another rider stops to ask if everything is all right, and I am feeling very surprisingly calm as I explain that it's an old saddle and that these things can happen. Since I'm already stopped, I take a couple pictures for posterity. This is Bumblebee at the scene of the second setback. The lighting is quite poor, and I can't say that I see that the saddle is essentially done.

Well, by this point, my inner warrior is trying to tell me that I can't let a small detail like that ruin my already-twice-ruined weekend. I remount and found that it really didn't present a significant problem - at least not under the sedate conditions I was operating under, On my next circuit, Bumblebee was able to overtake a Monarch, and then, when the gentleman who stopped to check on me was clearly surprised to see me riding still, I told him "it works fine if you sit on it the right way". He got a laugh... as did I, when making the turn-around the last two times, I saw Ironman stragglers on expensive bikes that Bumblebee and I could have put to the sword (figuratively).

Anyway, after four circuits of the hinterlands, I went back up and over the daunting hill (yes, I was walking for a bit), and returned to my car. After all was said and done, I managed 11.62 miles (11.79 overall), and topped out at a mind-numbing 15.2 mph. Now to figure out what to do about a replacement saddle, and get back out there again... when I'm not being impeded by a hoarde of tin men.

Last edited by USAZorro; 06-05-22 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 02:10 PM
Classtime 

Matcha Matchy.

13/21 O.G.

Neatsfoot oil will not make your leather saddle too soft or hasten the breaking period.
Old 06-05-22, 04:50 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Classtime
Matcha Matchy.

13/21 O.G.

Neatsfoot oil will not make your leather saddle too soft or hasten the breaking period.
See post 382 (directly above.
Old 06-05-22, 05:32 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
See post 382 (directly above.
he he
My Ideale 80 is like a piece of shale. If I manage to un-weight for every bump the saddle and my spokes might get me through 95 more miles. (At the co-op next week I will
check out the saddle deals. )
Old 06-05-22, 05:37 PM
Classtime 

$30 Entry
$20 Kool Stops
$10 brake adjuster
$20 is market rate for a 22.0 SR stem from my Grand Jubile.
$3 SS fasteners for top tube brake cable clips
$5 75%worn Sedis chain
$3 Misc. cable housing from long gone flips
$2 once used rear brake cable
$0 rusty shift cables
$0 too short for front brakes cables used for new straddle cables.
$93 Subtotal.

5 miles in chasing fasteners for the cable clips and I worried about the rear tire. I hope the Co-op has a cheap tire to complete the challenge and I hope this tire gets me the 14 miles to the coop.

Looking forward to riding this with a nice set of wheels.

Duct tape?

Last edited by Classtime; 06-06-22 at 09:15 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.