Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

convex mirrors: Mirrycle field of view is just right

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-30-22, 04:39 PM
Antifriction

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

I got a cheap plastic mirror, and found that the curvature was so extreme that cars bearing down on me looked so tiny I had to concentrate to spot them. Online comments then persuaded me to try the Mirrycle mirror. It's impressive from an engineering standpoint - glass, with screws that self-tap into brass to form hinges of adjustable stiffness that won't loosen. You can rotate it out of harm's way for parking. Here's a shot of the views in both mirrors - cars in the Mirrycle (which is also convex) are about 3 times larger, and the pointless fisheye view of the neighbourhood is greatly reduced.

Recommended.
Likes For Antifriction:
Old 08-30-22, 04:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Antifriction
I got a cheap plastic mirror, and found that the curvature was so extreme that cars bearing down on me looked so tiny I had to concentrate to spot them. Online comments then persuaded me to try the Mirrycle mirror. It's impressive from an engineering standpoint - glass, with screws that self-tap into brass to form hinges of adjustable stiffness that won't loosen. You can rotate it out of harm's way for parking. Here's a shot of the views in both mirrors - cars in the Mirrycle (which is also convex) are about 3 times larger, and the pointless fisheye view of the neighbourhood is greatly reduced.

Recommended.
Please take another picture but with the top mirror showing the same car as the bottom mirror.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-30-22, 04:56 PM
Antifriction

It is showing the same car - the black one, next to two white ones in the top mirror, is on the right in the bottom mirror.
Old 08-30-22, 07:36 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
It is showing the same car - the black one, next to two white ones in the top mirror, is on the right in the bottom mirror.
My mirror is like the one on top. Took me a while to get used to looking out for cars when they are so tiny.
Old 08-30-22, 09:58 PM
Antifriction

Another drawback of the wide field of view is that - as in the photo - it often includes the sun, as a blob of glare.
Old 08-31-22, 05:43 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3748 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
I don't use convex mirrors, I think they're only good for motor vehicle blind spots, so useless on bikes. I've seen large convex mirrors placed on blind corners and they are misleading.

I'm always looking for the perfect mirror, but right now I just use the Mirrycle, similar to your bottom mirror.
Old 08-31-22, 06:00 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
30 year commuter. I like the mirrycle mirror and have it on two of my bikes. But I like my glasses-mounted take-a-look mirror even more. I know not everyone likes glasses and helmet mounted mirrors but they are usually flat and through small head movements offer coverage unmatched by any handlebar mirrors including the mirrycle.

BTW, I also find the mirrycle mirror mount holds the mirror's position better than most other mirrors I've tried.
Old 08-31-22, 06:33 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I've been using the Mirrycle similar to the lower one in the picture. Love it. I initially was having problems with it moving when I hit a bump, but I put rubber faucet washers in the pivot points and it's helped a lot to stabilize it.
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 09-06-22, 12:45 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

Recommended.
I love my Mirrycle mirror... the only issue I have is that on rare occasion I try to slip through a gate opening and manage to clip the mirror itself... it snaps right off, broken. It is a hassle I have learned to live with, due to the otherwise good quality of the Mirrycle itself. When I approach narrow openings, I slow and ease through, to save the cost of a new mirror.
Likes For genec:
Old 09-06-22, 02:00 PM
Antifriction

@ work4bike: the Mirrcycle is mildly convex - images are about half the size of those in a flat mirror, meaning field of view is doubled. That seems like about the right compromise if you have to make one. So the cheap mirror is 6x. Too bad makers don't put the shrinkage factor on the package. Now that I'm tuned in to the variability, I'd take a flat mirror to the bike shop to measure convexity. In the end I'm keeping both on my bike - only way I'll feel definitely aware of what's behind me, without turning around.
@genec: is it the mirror that breaks, or the stalk? My LBS sells replacement mirrors, for 1/4 the price of the whole thing - maybe a lot of people have your experience.

Last edited by Antifriction; 09-06-22 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For Antifriction:
Old 09-06-22, 02:15 PM
Antifriction

@genec: you might consider twisting the Mirrcycle out of harm's way before riding through dodgy openings. It's actually in the instructions: "SUGGESTION: When riding off road, on trails, or in the woods, it's a good idea to pivot the mirror head out of the way... readjust the mirror when you get on the road again."
Likes For Antifriction:
Old 09-06-22, 02:28 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 907 Posts
I like the Mirrcycle, but it's unusable on my swept bars. Do you think the mount hackable?
Old 09-06-22, 02:56 PM
Antifriction

&Korina: you could attach the horizontal arm of the Mirrcycle to a clamp on the handlebar - leaving out the vertical post. You could also use the extension tube they sell as a vertical post: https://mirrycle.com/product-category/mirrors/
Old 09-06-22, 03:08 PM
genec
genec

@genec: you might consider twisting the Mirrcycle out of harm's way before riding through dodgy openings. It's actually in the instructions: "SUGGESTION: When riding off road, on trails, or in the woods, it's a good idea to pivot the mirror head out of the way... readjust the mirror when you get on the road again."
Yeah, but that takes forethought... rather than the "dare" of "will it fit."

Actually one reason I don't do that is when you get the mirror adjusted just right, ya don't wanna mess with it... I still love my Mirrcycle mirrors.
Old 09-06-22, 03:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinelander
I've been using the Mirrycle similar to the lower one in the picture. Love it. I initially was having problems with it moving when I hit a bump, but I put rubber faucet washers in the pivot points and it's helped a lot to stabilize it.
my last new one was much stiffer and does not come un adjusted like they have been.
Old 09-07-22, 08:00 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Yeah, but that takes forethought... rather than the "dare" of "will it fit."

Actually one reason I don't do that is when you get the mirror adjusted just right, ya don't wanna mess with it... I still love my Mirrcycle mirrors.
Consider mounting the mirror inward. Field of view isn't quite as good as outward mounting, but it can work well once adjusted properly.

Likes For gpburdell:
Old 09-07-22, 09:09 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by gpburdell
Consider mounting the mirror inward. Field of view isn't quite as good as outward mounting, but it can work well once adjusted properly.

OK, that IS an idea... my bars are a bit extra wide... so that might work well. BTW I have those grips and love them.

Now, I have a few questions... looking at your bars, below...
What is item 1 with the +/- signs?
What is item 2, with a horn? (electric horn... is this an ebike?)
And what are the barhorns, item 3. Interesting. Looks like they need a variant of what my grips look like right now.

That is quite a "control panel" there on that bike.
Old 09-07-22, 10:40 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
OK, that IS an idea... my bars are a bit extra wide... so that might work well. BTW I have those grips and love them.

Now, I have a few questions... looking at your bars, below...
What is item 1 with the +/- signs?
What is item 2, with a horn? (electric horn... is this an ebike?)
And what are the barhorns, item 3. Interesting. Looks like they need a variant of what my grips look like right now.

That is quite a "control panel" there on that bike.
My apologies for not being clear that the photo is not my bike, for convenience I grabbed it from a google image search. Source was an ebike forum though, so the + / - buttons control the motor assist, the horn is something aftermarket I believe. Grips appear to be Ergon GP3 which come with the extensions.
Old 09-07-22, 10:44 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by gpburdell
My apologies for not being clear that the photo is not my bike, for convenience I grabbed it from a google image search. Source was an ebike forum though, so the + / - buttons control the motor assist, the horn is something aftermarket I believe. Grips appear to be Ergon GP3 which come with the extensions.
OK, makes sense.

And thanks for the Ergon link... I have the GP1 grips now and love them... so comfortable. I had no idea those other models existed.