Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anybody tried this Chinese 2x11 gear?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anybody tried this Chinese 2x11 gear?

Old 11-17-18, 06:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
For shifters and derailleurs only, it's not even a great deal. You can buy 105 7000 series for the same price, plus you get cassette, chain, crankset, bb at the same price.
all this for $150? Where?
Old 11-17-18, 06:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Can you name a brand that makes a rear derailer that's compatible with the shifters of another brand? And if so, do you think it's the norm? Come on.
Microshift. Their shifters and derailleur work perfectly with shimano.
Old 11-17-18, 07:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Microshift. Their shifters and derailleur work perfectly with shimano.
tested and proven over many, many years' time too.
Old 11-17-18, 08:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I actually tried Campy on one bike I built up but never liked the thumb button. Microshift also uses a thumb button for what it's worth.
Never had an issue with the thumb button. Flawless shifts.
Old 11-18-18, 02:30 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm, maybe this one is a little better match.
Hey wow, that looks pretty damn close. But the cost is eye-watering! Another $45 for shipping, holy crap. Interested to see about the Giant ones, though...

I've spoken to a Specialized dealer, waiting to hear back. Not holding my breath, though...

I was thinking of taking it in to work to see if one of the guys can weld it up for me... I don't need the bottom half of the slot, so it can be stronger in that respect, but I was wondering about how necessary it'd be to have it heat-treated...

Anyway, I finished editing a couple of vids about the Sensah gear: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post20667881
Old 11-18-18, 07:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I was thinking of taking it in to work to see if one of the guys can weld it up for me... I don't need the bottom half of the slot, so it can be stronger in that respect, but I was wondering about how necessary it'd be to have it heat-treated...
If you have access to a decent metal shop, it would probably only take a few minutes to cut one out of a solid block of aluminum. An hour?

Just put a block of aluminum into a mill. Cut out the notch, then cut out the slot, drill the holes. And you're done. I like to use a hand file a bit, which should cut aluminum quite easily.

Take a GOOD derailleur with you to use as a pattern, plus, maybe the bad derailleur too, so they can tune it up a bit.

There seem to be two types of hangers. One type holds the derailleur in a single orientation, another is adjustable, depending on the curvature of the hanger/derailleur interface.
Old 11-18-18, 07:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Hey wow, that looks pretty damn close. But the cost is eye-watering! Another $45 for shipping, holy crap. Interested to see about the Giant ones, though...
Oof!!!!

I didn't see the $45 shipping!!!

It was showing up as $2 to $6 for shipping for those ads I sent. It does give some ideas though.

Land of Australia??? !!!!!

The Post Office here can be a bit funny. I took a cable stop about 5mm in diameter taped inside of an envelope to the post office a while ago. It should have shipped for 50 cents as a letter... They charged me about $5 to ship it as a package, but then treated it as an envelope and lost the tracking info (fortunately it still arrived).

The next similar item I'll probably just package it up, cover it with stamps, and hope it arrives.

Often the Chinese direct shippers do better with international shipping. UK shippers?

Anyway, let me know if you strike out with local sources.
Old 02-24-19, 09:41 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Anyway, let me know
So there was an Argon 18 hanger on eBay that looked like it might work, but the supplier couldn't be bothered giving me any info on it.

After a while I caved in and gambled on it, and it fit perfectly. Countersunk lower bolt, upper one a button head through a curved slot for angle adjustment, very neat. And the main thing is, it's beefy billet, so I was able to use the Sensah fd without fear of breaking the hanger again.

So yeah, for posterity: Specialized Tarmac from about 2008, 15mm bolt centres on the front derailleur hanger (the type with the mounting bolts behind the fd mount), Specialized dealers couldn't help, but Argon18 hanger worked.
Old 12-24-19, 01:48 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by friday1970
I also ordered this Sensah Empire groupset and it arrived in the mail earlier this week. I've only unboxed it, played around with the shifters while holding them in my hand, and weighed the components.
Shifters with cables are 496g, RD was 196. FD was 98g.
Shifting is a bit odd. As you shift the RD lever, you can feel the cable loosening for a bit, then a pull as you turn the lever all the way. All 10 clicks were there, and as you short shift while pulling the cable at the same time, you can feel it being pulled out at equal increments.
The real test will be when my 11speed cassette and chain arrives. I will be replacing a Microshift Arsis 10 speed groupset on my main road bike with the Sensah, and my rando bike gets the Arsis. I only have one set of wheels that support 11 speed cassettes, so a little musical chairs with the components.
How'd you go?
Old 12-24-19, 09:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Good to see this thread is still going. Going to watch those reviews----thanks for taking the time and making the effort.
Old 12-24-19, 03:27 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
How'd you go?
Now that I've had it on for a whole season, I guess I can give a small review of it.

First is the shifters. The right shifter for the rear cogs has worked great. The single lever action works great. Big push of the lever to push up to the larger rear cogs, short one to the smaller cogs. And having medium sized hands, I really have no trouble shifting. However, the left shifter has given me some problems. First and foremost, if I push the left shifter in too far, the outside lever disengages with an smaller internal one. Then I have to loosen the cable on my FD to fix the shifter. Second issue with the left shifter is that after switching to the larger chainring, sometimes it does not want to shift back to the smaller chainring. I have to give the lever a little nudge to the left, then it will switch to the small chainring.

Braking with these shifters has been better than my Shimano and Microshift equipped bikes. The brake cable starts higher above the axis in the shifter, meaning it moves the brake cable more. So, less pull and more force to the brakes.

The FD works fine on my Shimano 105 crankset. Once I adjusted it better, the issue with having to nudge the left shifter has been a bit better.

The RD works great. No problems. Precise and never misses a gear. However, I am seeing a little rust on some of the steel parts. I'm at the office and I'll have to see where it is rusting and post it here.

So really, other than downshifting on the left shifter and some rust, this groupset has been actually pretty good. I've taken it up some hills in New Hampshire, brevets here in Michigan, and plenty of rides locally. Never once has this groupset given me a bad ride yet.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 12-26-19, 04:57 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

So, you seem not to mind the large throw to pull the shift cable? Something you can get used to, you reckon? (I've hardly used mine.)

Originally Posted by friday1970
The brake cable starts higher above the axis in the shifter, meaning it moves the brake cable more. So, less pull and more force to the brakes.
Um, something's up here - only one of those sentences can be true; they're mutually exclusive.
Old 12-27-19, 06:09 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
So, you seem not to mind the large throw to pull the shift cable? Something you can get used to, you reckon? (I've hardly used mine.) Um, something's up here - only one of those sentences can be true; they're mutually exclusive.
I really don't notice the pull when shifting the FD cable. Maybe I am just used to it. Having three bikes, one with the Sensah Empire, one with a Microshift, and one with a Claris, I really don't notice too much differences in pull length. I guess in terms of mechanical properties of a lever, the higher the brake cable starts above the axis, the less force you have on the pull. But the braking on my Sensah feels better than my Claris groupset.
Old 01-08-23, 01:40 PM
FlamingTux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Folks, reviving old thread

Any new first-hand experience with Retrospec groupsets ? Anyone actually try the groupset and compare it to its more well-known rivals for example, Taiwanese Advent micro shift , SRAM and SHIMANO?
Old 01-08-23, 01:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamingTux
Folks, reviving old thread

Any new first-hand experience with Retrospec groupsets ? Anyone actually try the groupset and compare it to its more well-known rivals for example, Taiwanese Advent micro shift , SRAM and SHIMANO?
I would have put this in a new thread rather than one from 2018 as it is not really directly related. I know Retrospec for making really low end fixed gears and some crusier type bikes with cheap parts. I would imagine any groupset they have made or commissioned is probably also of the lowest quality. Microshift, Shimano and SRAM also make some low end stuff but they also make some high end stuff (at least in the case of SRAM and Shimano) and mid tier but decent stuff in the case of Microshift. I see no reason to go with anything else (aside from Campagnolo or maybe Rotor Uno) I get there is a race to the bottom for some reason or another, there usually is, but I value reliability and good support above saving a buck or two.