Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Buying a folding bike at a LBS

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 08:23 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts

I'm really interested on getting a folding bike (non-electric). Is there a price difference/discount compared to getting it online? If yes, what would a typical discount be? Looking to get a TERN Verge P10 or X11.
Old 09-04-21, 10:12 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Well I think Tern has a MSRP/MAP on dealers, so online searches with discounts will be grey market bikes, which may not have warranties. Buying from the LBS means if you have any teething issues, you can go them to fix for free, vs having to send for parts etc, sometimes even having to bring it to the LBS to install.
Likes For Sardines:
Old 09-04-21, 10:26 AM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Right now there's not a lot of deals online or at a local bike shop. It's always best to buy local so you can get service on the bike if needed. I owned a Verge X10 a few years ago. It was my first folding bike and for the most part was a nice bike. After I bought a Brompton I sold the X10 and don't regret selling it. I prefer steel bicycles over aluminum but that's just a personal thing. If I were to buy a Tern again I would look at the Byb models as they look very solid and folds down really nicely. If performance is what your looking for the Verge models are the way to go.
Old 09-04-21, 07:18 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Thanks all. Just checking bec both my road bikes I bought from 2 different LBS and was discounted 10-12% when I ordered. So would be great if that would be the case.

I’m not really after how compact the folding bike is but more on performance. Thinking of bringing it if I’m going out of state instead of my road bike.
Old 09-04-21, 09:49 PM
Sardines

If you want better performance(higher speed) , get the Eclipse X22, which has 26" wheels, which rides and handles better on roads and has higher top gearing @ 29- 113 " vs the 20-103" of the X11. Even the P20 Eclipse is better performing but about 20% heavier.
Old 09-05-21, 10:26 AM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
After Tern's long history of frame breaks, and the way they dealt with it, I'll never buy a bike from them.
Likes For wesgreen:
Old 09-05-21, 11:14 AM
Sardines

Many major brands have had safety recalls, if you boycott all of them, you'd have to boycott Shimano, SRAM, Canyon among others. I never had a problem with Tern's quality with have 3 of them in my stable, and 2 more before that! Also thinking about one of their E-bikes. They make quality products, but had issues and recalled them. If you had one of the 200 bikes, they would've replaced it. It's a little drastic to boycott an entire range for a problem that happens to every major brand at some point.
My Tern Joe Tour has done 12 touring trips in 3 continents without issue. The Eclipses have done a few and were part of my commute trips. Tens of thousands of miles and no problems from safety aspects. My kid is now commuting with the X22 to school.
Originally Posted by wesgreen
After Tern's long history of frame breaks, and the way they dealt with it, I'll never buy a bike from them.
Likes For Sardines:
Old 09-06-21, 12:16 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
Many major brands have had safety recalls, if you boycott all of them, you'd have to boycott Shimano, SRAM, Canyon among others. I never had a problem with Tern's quality with have 3 of them in my stable, and 2 more before that! Also thinking about one of their E-bikes. They make quality products, but had issues and recalled them. If you had one of the 200 bikes, they would've replaced it. It's a little drastic to boycott an entire range for a problem that happens to every major brand at some point.
My Tern Joe Tour has done 12 touring trips in 3 continents without issue. The Eclipses have done a few and were part of my commute trips. Tens of thousands of miles and no problems from safety aspects. My kid is now commuting with the X22 to school.
The issue people have w/Tern (I'm a Tern owner as well) is their response. They lied, attempted to cover up, even silence people who've had catastrophic frame failures. People would up being injured, and they'd denied it. They even locked down their forums just to stop the issue from being disclosed. Your experience, and saying "what about so-and-so" doesn't change the facts about what they've shown to be horrible customer service/support, coupled with a complete lack of concern for their customers safety. I'd never recommend a Tern,... And the Joe was never one of the models, so saying how many touring trips you've used it for is irrelevant. I own a Joe P24 myself.
Old 09-06-21, 01:48 PM
Sardines

Not to get into a forum argument about something that didn't actually affect either one of us, and happened at least 5 years ago (although I bought my Eclipses, after the Eclipse S11 was recalled.) I'm just saying they make great quality products and while they had issues with the welding and thus PR issues as well, which any law and PR firms worth their salt would make them do the same thing of "stay quiet and deny, till proven" which they finally finished their investigations and did 2 voluntary recall on a few models. I don't remember the events as you do so I'll let the reader do their own investigation. It's not like they did a Tobacco industry hiding the effects of smoking or Oil industry denial of environmental damage, and only fessed up when sued or prosecuted.
It is well within your rights as a consumer to not buy any brand for whatever reason. Boycott Amazon for stifling work conditions and pay. Boycott Apple for using Foxconn as manufacturers who don't care about work conditions for workers. All fair and valid.
I chose to buy the Eclipse models even after the recall, because it was then a redesigned and safety retested model. I have had no issues with Tern and a happy customer, and of course I'm sad that people were injured because of product failures. I also check for hairline cracks on the welds when I wash the bikes as part of the routine.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by tds101
The issue people have w/Tern (I'm a Tern owner as well) is their response. They lied, attempted to cover up, even silence people who've had catastrophic frame failures. People would up being injured, and they'd denied it. They even locked down their forums just to stop the issue from being disclosed. Your experience, and saying "what about so-and-so" doesn't change the facts about what they've shown to be horrible customer service/support, coupled with a complete lack of concern for their customers safety. I'd never recommend a Tern,... And the Joe was never one of the models, so saying how many touring trips you've used it for is irrelevant. I own a Joe P24 myself.
Likes For Sardines:
Old 09-07-21, 07:42 PM
Pahana

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
All I have to add here is that you might like the feel of smaller wheels. Mostly I ride mountain bikes but I just love the feel of riding small wheel bicycles. I take a Dahon Eezz d3 to work everyday and very much like the quick steering . There are some good videos on u tube from " I bike unfolded " about this guy who fell in love with riding small folding bikes and sold all his full size bikes.
Likes For Pahana:
Old 09-09-21, 06:09 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Not to get into a forum argument about something that didn't actually affect either one of us, and happened at least 5 years ago (although I bought my Eclipses, after the Eclipse S11 was recalled.) I'm just saying they make great quality products and while they had issues with the welding and thus PR issues as well, which any law and PR firms worth their salt would make them do the same thing of "stay quiet and deny, till proven" which they finally finished their investigations and did 2 voluntary recall on a few models. I don't remember the events as you do so I'll let the reader do their own investigation. It's not like they did a Tobacco industry hiding the effects of smoking or Oil industry denial of environmental damage, and only fessed up when sued or prosecuted.
It is well within your rights as a consumer to not buy any brand for whatever reason. Boycott Amazon for stifling work conditions and pay. Boycott Apple for using Foxconn as manufacturers who don't care about work conditions for workers. All fair and valid.
I chose to buy the Eclipse models even after the recall, because it was then a redesigned and safety retested model. I have had no issues with Tern and a happy customer, and of course I'm sad that people were injured because of product failures. I also check for hairline cracks on the welds when I wash the bikes as part of the routine.
I actually could care less what you remember, and if you bothered to browse this section you would see it's been an ongoing issue, of less than 5 years ago. There were forced recalls, which were brought on due to litigation. Nothing was voluntary. And saying they should be quiet and deny everything? That's the stupidest thing I've seen posted in regards to this in quite some time. Quite a few other folding bike companies have had breakage issues in the past, and their response was to assist the customer, and go out of their way to rectify the situation. Bringing up the oil industry as an example is hilarious.
As for Amazon, Apple, etc, they're completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. This is about Tern's irresponsibility and neglect, of which they've proven themselves to be guilty of.
Now, it DOES affect me, as it means I'll need to take excessive care to do those same safety checks, and then worry the same issues might arise EVEN AFTER all inspections and precautions have been taken, because that's what had happened to multiple Tern owners with their frame failures (which still sporadically occur, to this day) There's even a newer frame that was shared here in the forum that shows a weld failure. Tern has a substandard track record. There's more risks, still, with buying their products than with others. Don't try to downplay another person's perspective of the situation, when they're a Tern owner as well.
Old 09-10-21, 12:18 AM
Sardines

What did you end up getting?
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
Thanks all. Just checking bec both my road bikes I bought from 2 different LBS and was discounted 10-12% when I ordered. So would be great if that would be the case.

I’m not really after how compact the folding bike is but more on performance. Thinking of bringing it if I’m going out of state instead of my road bike.
Old 09-10-21, 08:35 AM
ARPRINCE

I have not decided yet. Been checking some other folding brands but they don't tickle my fancy. I read through some of the breaking issues as well (good to know).
My preference is 1x so still leaning on P10 or X11. Looking to visit a dealer near my area.
Old 09-10-21, 10:42 AM
Sardines

Yes, due diligence is always good. Every major brand of folding bicycle, Brompton to Tern have had at least one safety recall. This can happen to any one and any brand. Safety checks are always good to do on the bike at least once a week if you are a high mileage commuter and do stuff like jumping curbs or carry over 200lbs of load.
I just had coffee with a friend who converted his Eclipse X22 to a 1x11 with SRAM components, making under 22lbs and a real speed demon for city riding. The 26" wheels gives him the ability ride over many things while getting some real speed. Makes me want to convert my X22 as well.
I have not decided yet. Been checking some other folding brands but they don't tickle my fancy. I read through some of the breaking issues as well (good to know).
My preference is 1x so still leaning on P10 or X11. Looking to visit a dealer near my area.
Old 01-20-22, 05:19 PM
ARPRINCE

It took awhile and thought it might never happen but soon to be a TERN VERGE X11 owner. I ordered one today from a dealer and will get it next week!
Likes For ARPRINCE:
Old 01-21-22, 07:32 AM
Sardines

Curious to know if the prices are higher now? I would assume so?
It took awhile and thought it might never happen but soon to be a TERN VERGE X11 owner. I ordered one today from a dealer and will get it next week!
Old 01-21-22, 08:24 AM
ARPRINCE

Curious to know if the prices are higher now? I would assume so?
Same MSRP but was able to get a discount (not much).
Old 01-21-22, 11:04 AM
Sardines

That's great! Enjoy!
Old 02-07-22, 11:52 PM
ARPRINCE

So some missteps waiting for my bike. First, bike was given to another dealer instead of mine. Second, bike was suppose to be delivered last Friday but got an exception. It looks like my dealer's store moved and Tern shipped it to the old address. Third, it was delivered today, had a box damage and dealer said the bike got dinged as well. I'd probably stay away from this one and would ask for a replacement.

Old 02-08-22, 01:59 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Sounds like you had terrible luck!
How badly "dinged" was the bike?
Old 02-08-22, 01:16 PM
ARPRINCE

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Sounds like you had terrible luck!
How badly "dinged" was the bike?
It looks like it's minimal, only the bar ends as he took it out, inspected and assembled it. I'm asking to have Tern replace the bar ends.

Anyone knows why tern has 2 BLACK color scheme for the Verge X11 and which one is newer? Their website and store front is different. I was hoping to get the store front version but I got the web version.

WEBSITE

STORE FRONT

Old 02-16-22, 03:21 PM
ARPRINCE

Inspected and picked up my bike today! Bike actually looks better in person.
On the scuffed bar ends, LBS cannot get a replacement from Tern because they don't stock it (GS1 Grip) so I took a $50 discount. I see that they are selling the same grip in ebay but it is not really noticeable so a black marker would do .

Likes For ARPRINCE:
Old 05-06-22, 10:23 AM
ARPRINCE

First spin for spring! :

Upgrades:
  • Spurcycle Original Bell (Black)
  • Speedplay Zero Pedals
  • Specialized Power Comp Saddle
  • Specialized Stix Elite 2 Headlight/Taillight
  • Specialized Purist Fixy 26oz Water Bottle
  • Veloink Personalized Decals
  • Anjoy Ultra Light Full Carbon Fiber Water Bottle Cage
  • N+1 Bike Kickstand
  • Garmin Speed + Cadence Sensor 2

Last edited by ARPRINCE; 05-06-22 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For ARPRINCE: