Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help! I don't know how to fix this? Or what to do?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 01:40 AM
Ayeeebroitsmatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I just bought a new wheel. It's a 6 spoke teny rear. And it came without a gear? I don't know how to put a gear on it. I want to ride fixed. Can someone help me out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (96.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-14-15, 03:14 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Take a closer look at the metal "stubs" that the axle runs through.
That investigation can come up with the following:
1)only one of them is threaded, and have the same clockwise thread all the way
2)only one of them is threaded, but it has a bigger clockwise thread at the base, and a smaller counter-clockwise thread further out
3)both are threaded, one has the same thread all the way, the other has a bigger clockwise thread at the base, and a smaller counter-clockwise thread further out

If it's 1) you really shouldn't run it fixed. Definitely not if you intend to run brakeless. Single-speed will be fine. Simply buy the freewheel of your choice and screw it on. Be careful not to cross thread, and don't worry when pedalling torque pulls it further on at the first ride. It'll feel like slipping but is entirely OK.
If it's 2) then it's intended to run fixed. Buy the FG sprocket of your choice and a FG lockring, thread sprocket on. Find a steep hill, ride bike up. Pedal hard. Do NOT apply back pressure. Remove wheel, thread lockring on. Tighten well with appropriate tool. Done.
If it's 3) then it can use both FG and SS. If you insist on FG, follow instructions as on 2)

If it is 1) and you insist on FG, come back here and we can discuss "suicide fixies".
Old 01-14-15, 06:03 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Find a book on basic bicycle assembly and repair, read and study it.
Old 01-14-15, 09:26 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Or look at www.sheldonbrown.com, and read his articles on working on bikes.
Old 01-14-15, 10:01 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayeeebroitsmatt
So I just bought a new wheel. It's a 6 spoke teny rear. And it came without a gear? I don't know how to put a gear on it. I want to ride fixed. Can someone help me out?
From what I can see of the photo, it looks like at least the upward facing side of the hub is threaded for a lock ring. Buy yourself a screw on track cog of whatever size you need for the ratio you desire, and make sure it comes with a lock ring which will thread on counter clockwise on the reduced diameter part of the hub.
If the other side also has the reduced diameter left hand thread outboard of the cog mounting thread, you can mount another cog of a different size on it to make it a fixed/fixed flip flop wheel. If it does not have lock ring threads, you can mount a freewheel on it and make it a fixed/ free flip flop.
Old 01-14-15, 11:01 AM
Ayeeebroitsmatt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks man!
Old 01-14-15, 11:54 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'll offer a word of caution, OP. If you want to learn to fix bikes, asking people how to do each individual task you want to do by rote is not the way to go about it. You need to understand *why* you're doing stuff - why you need that lockring, and why it's left-hand threaded, for instance. If you don't, and the instructions you get online are not perfect, or don't apply perfectly to your bike, you'll run into trouble.