Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Sram direct mount chainring fixed gear

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-15-23, 07:48 AM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Has anyone used one of these?

I tried on a mountain bike years ago and the slop in the interface caused the chainring to pop when back pressure was applied to the pedals. That was with very low gearing. Wondering if the taller gearing on a road bike would be less likely to have the problem.

My current cranks is a Rival crank with the direct mount chainring.
Old 04-15-23, 05:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
I don't think the system is quite up to fixed gear standards. At least not a 3 bolt system. Those bolts are pretty small. I have seen some adaptors and such but I would rather just have a proper crank for what I am doing. Plenty of decent or really decent or deheeeeeeheeeeeeecent cranks out there and also loads of crap-o-la that will also work in a pinch.

I mean the idea of the DM style of chainrings makes sense you can go lower and eliminate some bulk but 3 little bolts to hold on a chainring that I might apply some back pressure on I am not convinced.