Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"On the Road Again" Challenges

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"On the Road Again" Challenges

Old 05-14-23, 10:38 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
trade bait?
If there's a local person who is tall enough for this and is willing to fix it for personal use, I wouldn't mind letting them have it for the same price I got it.

Hostellers are a relatively rare bird on my local craigstlist. I think I've seen 4 in the past 5 years. One of them came up on facebook recently, at a starting price of $1000CAD. After several reductions it's now asking $200. If he drops it to $100 I might have a problem, even if it's a small one (maybe 19").

This one is obviously rusty, crusty, and the paint is in bad condition. For all that it is almost complete with front and rear rack, fenders, and Soubitez bottle dynamo. The only things missing appear to be the front and rear lights, which have cracked. Plus, it is one of those bikes that although it is fitted with a kickstand, it happens to have a kickstand plate, so there is zero damage to the chainstays. Cottered cranks, but it is a triple cottered crank. Given the rust on the washers on the fenders, but not so much on the fenders themselves, I am thinking the fenders are stainless steel.

This must have been a beautiful light touring bike in its day. It could be again, but there is no way I am able to grow another foot taller. I'm not keeping this bike, that's for sure.
- oh the left side front mafac canti seems to be stuck. It could be buggered, I'm not sure.
Old 05-19-23, 06:18 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
I'm leaning strongly towards building and riding a frame, fork, and rear derailleur I found trolling Craigslist last July. It's green like my rides from 2021 (Super Course) and 2022 (Mirage), and it's not French except for the huret derailleur and it's oddball hanger (with stop at wrong clock position). Listed for $70, picked it up for $60 but to get the $10 off I had to take away a silver Schwinn something, 50 pound cast iron bike made in Wisconsin. Being able to ignore cost of wheels and tires will make it a challenge, but maybe possible, to keep under $108 budget.

Likes For darnet:
Old 05-19-23, 06:48 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,358 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Claiming first place. 93.2 miles. Picture at about 90 miles. The bike will melt back into the spare parts inventory.

This has been a problem child. Got 4 flats and destroyed 3 tubes in a ride around the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. On this ride, I didn’t see a limb and destroyed a helmet.

Whew glad that and not your head.

You coming down for the Eddy Rando in a couple weeks?

Old 05-19-23, 08:01 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

All right. Hopefully you have a before picture to go with the after. (or an after to go with the before) Then would need an encapsulation of the spending and mileage. Then it's a matter of waiting until September for results.

Plenty of time to prepare more submissions.

I was thinking about this thread today. My dumb Huffy project is sucking all my time, money, sanity, etc, but once the ride is done in June, I'll need to switch gears for some sanity before jump back into the lava pool, and I might have just the project.

One day when I was volunteering at a local co-op, I notice a Fuji Cambridge in the scrap pile. The frame looked so interesting to me that I saved it. The bike is likely from the early 80s, but has that early 60s vibe, with the rolling top tube, which was reminiscent of the early 20s. Oh my

Here is what a much cleaner example than mine looks like:

I actually do have the parts to just about finish it...and in fact, a few months back, I was able to put together a 105 (I think) headset for it and re-attach the fork. Bout the only thing I need for it is a good set of cranks, and maybe some brake levers. Oh and a seat.

I also saved what was called a 'Rekord' from '72, which was your quintessential W. German 'desperate capitalization on the bike boom' offering. It was also in a scrap pile, and missing wheels, stem, bars, levers, brakes, seatpost, and seat. But it has all the running gear (full delrin Simplex) and cottered cranks already on there. The decals are cool - that's about the only thing going for it.

Give me some time in maybe June or July and I'll try to post up some of these ridiculous projects. The more ludicrous they are, the better I like 'em, but we already knew that

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 05-19-23, 08:13 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by darnet
I'm leaning strongly towards building and riding a frame, fork, and rear derailleur I found trolling Craigslist last July. It's green like my rides from 2021 (Super Course) and 2022 (Mirage), and it's not French except for the huret derailleur and it's oddball hanger (with stop at wrong clock position). Listed for $70, picked it up for $60 but to get the $10 off I had to take away a silver Schwinn something, 50 pound cast iron bike made in Wisconsin. Being able to ignore cost of wheels and tires will make it a challenge, but maybe possible, to keep under $108 budget.

That's an awesome find.

Note that tubes and tires do not count toward the $108 budget. I don't want to have someone crash when a front tire blows out at speed because they were trying to get miles in on questionable, old tubes and tires. This said, rims, wheels, etc would count if you purchased them this year, or if you traded for them using something you purchased this year.
Old 05-19-23, 08:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Whew glad that and not your head.
Neck still hurts but it’s hurt since Phillip Sweitzer tackled me in a stupid football drill in 1968.

You coming down for the Eddy Rando in a couple weeks?
Nah. I don’t do too many events. I’m off to do something even dumber on the Cowboy Trail in Nebraska.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-19-23, 08:16 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

I was thinking about this thread today. My dumb Huffy project is sucking all my time, money, sanity, etc, but once the ride is done in June, I'll need to switch gears for some sanity before jump back into the lava pool, and I might have just the project.

One day when I was volunteering at a local co-op, I notice a Fuji Cambridge in the scrap pile. The frame looked so interesting to me that I saved it. The bike is likely from the early 80s, but has that early 60s vibe, with the rolling top tube, which was reminiscent of the early 20s. Oh my

I actually do have the parts to just about finish it...and in fact, a few months back, I was able to put together a 105 (I think) headset for it and re-attach the fork. Bout the only thing I need for it is a good set of cranks, and maybe some brake levers. Oh and a seat.

Give me some time in maybe June or July and I'll try to post up some of these ridiculous projects. The more ludicrous they are, the better I like 'em, but we already knew that
That Fuji is wild. That's a super-short wheel base to go with that funky humped top tube (or at least it appears that way). Would love to see you get that going, and then hear how it handles.
Old 05-19-23, 08:36 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts

I also saved what was called a 'Rekord' from '72, which was your quintessential W. German 'desperate capitalization on the bike boom' offering. It was also in a scrap pile, and missing wheels, stem, bars, levers, brakes, seatpost, and seat. But it has all the running gear (full delrin Simplex) and cottered cranks already on there. The decals are cool - that's about the only thing going for it.

You could build that one up, the record, with high end Mavic parts to offset the Campuffy...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-19-23, 09:25 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Last years flails, this years success.

I finally got back to the Gitane TdF. Last year I bought this as a bare frame with headset and bb. Supposedly the bb and hs were rebuilt before my purchase from Bikeworks yellow house. That was bs, the bb was borked, and the hs had some new grease put on top of old, lol. That through me for loop, stuff from the yellow house is of better grade and just about always correct to the word, lol. Not a big deal I've got French stuffing.

My build was not successful. Parts hung for visuals. Front wheel is not centered, no biggie, I center it up. I look again. This was not inline with the steertube, in sighting the steertube to the rim valve to the hub and spoke holes on the other side.

A closer check was performed.The steertube was checked for straightness, that was good. The offset were identical but the fork lengths were different one side was about 1/8" longer than the other. With my furniture clamp I was able to lengthen the shorter. This now needed a push forward, that was expected and was attended to.

Again I have parts hung and still that front end is not right. A closer inspection I discovered the headtube was swayed from top to bottom a solid 1/8" in correlation to the seatube. Here I checked the seatube to the bb face, not bad. I set some jigs addressed the sway. Here at this point is where I had trouble finding a freewheel that would clear the claw derailleur and the bike sat, until last week.

I cobbled my brakes together, I set the limits on the derailleurs. My first test is a success and a fail at the same time. My fail, the freewheel skips to the chain installed. The success, it felt right on the handling.

So I go through the stash and pull the rear wheel from the recent built Raleigh and off I go! To the LBS I do for the use of two 9mm for the brake straddles. Brakes now set. My second test I'm just stomping on the pedals testing the chain and freewheel combo, like a champ!

My test ride, 32 miles largely flat in the rolling hills of the Blue Mountains.

My alignment efforts, omg! Absolutely perfect. It rides correct strait hands/no-hands. The turns in-out nice. Speed wobble,none what so ever.

It rode so well I forgot it was French.

viva la France 🇫🇷
Old 05-19-23, 10:08 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Last years flails, this years success.

I finally got back to the Gitane TdF. Last year I bought this as a bare frame with headset and bb. Supposedly the bb and hs were rebuilt before my purchase from Bikeworks yellow house. That was bs, the bb was borked, and the hs had some new grease put on top of old, lol. That through me for loop, stuff from the yellow house is of better grade and just about always correct to the word, lol. Not a big deal I've got French stuffing.

My build was not successful. Parts hung for visuals. Front wheel is not centered, no biggie, I center it up. I look again. This was not inline with the steertube, in sighting the steertube to the rim valve to the hub and spoke holes on the other side.

A closer check was performed.The steertube was checked for straightness, that was good. The offset were identical but the fork lengths were different one side was about 1/8" longer than the other. With my furniture clamp I was able to lengthen the shorter. This now needed a push forward, that was expected and was attended to.

Again I have parts hung and still that front end is not right. A closer inspection I discovered the headtube was swayed from top to bottom a solid 1/8" in correlation to the seatube. Here I checked the seatube to the bb face, not bad. I set some jigs addressed the sway. Here at this point is where I had trouble finding a freewheel that would clear the claw derailleur and the bike sat, until last week.

I cobbled my brakes together, I set the limits on the derailleurs. My first test is a success and a fail at the same time. My fail, the freewheel skips to the chain installed. The success, it felt right on the handling.

So I go through the stash and pull the rear wheel from the recent built Raleigh and off I go! To the LBS I do for the use of two 9mm for the brake straddles. Brakes now set. My second test I'm just stomping on the pedals testing the chain and freewheel combo, like a champ!

My test ride, 32 miles largely flat in the rolling hills of the Blue Mountains.

My alignment efforts, omg! Absolutely perfect. It rides correct strait hands/no-hands. The turns in-out nice. Speed wobble,none what so ever.

It rode so well I forgot it was French.
viva la France 🇫🇷
Get some more miles on it and let me know which category/categories you want it in. Great work on aligning the frame. That would likely have stymied me.
Old 05-19-23, 10:44 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
You could build that one up, the record, with high end Mavic parts to offset the Campuffy...
At this rate that normal size bottom bracket will mean years added to my life.

Old 05-19-23, 10:48 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts
At this rate that normal size bottom bracket will mean years added to my life.
Of course, pricing those Mavic parts will remove many of those years...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-20-23, 12:35 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I got this Ted Williams Free Spirit in Bowling Green Ohio on the day of the Memory Lane bike swap. Ironically, I didn't find it at the swap, but at the Goodwill store about a mile away. It cost all of $27 with my veteran's discount. I lifted the handlebars and brake levers, brakes, and wheels off my Kabuki. I found a $5 seat post at the Monroe swap to replace the cheap steel post. The Titlist derailleur looked pretty ugly, so I swapped in a Spirt from the Marukin. I didn'tlike the stem shift levers, so I took the Campy ones from the FW Evans. I was facing a self imposed deadline, because I was trying to finish it in time for a friendly group ride on Thursday, so I was borrowing previously overhauled parts to save time. I may switch some things around later. At this point, even if I add the total cost of the bikes I borrowed parts from, I am still under the $108 budget.

I was running close on time, so there was no proper test ride. I went once in front of the house, then tossed the bike in the truck to go to the group ride meeting place. Luck was with me this time and the ride went without a hitch, no adjustments were needed. Next time, I'd like to try some fatter tires, the ride over chip seal and broken pavement was rough. 20 miles in the books.

1974 Sears Ted Williams Free Spirit with Reynolds 531 frame

1974 Sears Free Spirit as found
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 05-21-23, 03:56 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

That looks so well preserved that it might have been stored all these years in a cryogenically frozen state!

Last edited by darnet; 05-21-23 at 03:56 AM. Reason: posted without context
Old 05-21-23, 03:57 AM
darnet

Originally Posted by Pompiere
I got this Ted Williams Free Spirit in Bowling Green Ohio on the day of the Memory Lane bike swap. Ironically, I didn't find it at the swap, but at the Goodwill store about a mile away. It cost all of $27 with my veteran's discount. I lifted the handlebars and brake levers, brakes, and wheels off my Kabuki. I found a $5 seat post at the Monroe swap to replace the cheap steel post. The Titlist derailleur looked pretty ugly, so I swapped in a Spirt from the Marukin. I didn'tlike the stem shift levers, so I took the Campy ones from the FW Evans. I was facing a self imposed deadline, because I was trying to finish it in time for a friendly group ride on Thursday, so I was borrowing previously overhauled parts to save time. I may switch some things around later. At this point, even if I add the total cost of the bikes I borrowed parts from, I am still under the $108 budget.

I was running close on time, so there was no proper test ride. I went once in front of the house, then tossed the bike in the truck to go to the group ride meeting place. Luck was with me this time and the ride went without a hitch, no adjustments were needed. Next time, I'd like to try some fatter tires, the ride over chip seal and broken pavement was rough. 20 miles in the books.

1974 Sears Ted Williams Free Spirit with Reynolds 531 frame

1974 Sears Free Spirit as found
That looks very well preserved, it might have been stored all these years in a cryogenically frozen state!
Old 05-21-23, 06:16 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
That looks very well preserved, it might have been stored all these years in a cryogenically frozen state!
The frame has its share of nicks and scrapes, but it does look pretty good for a nearly 50 year old bike. It must have been stored inside, as it was surprisingly free from any rust or corrosion. Most of the chrome bits had an oily residue, like they had been sprayed with WD-40 and left to dry. I suspect it got serviced at some point during its life, maybe when the Grab-on pads and Avocet saddle were installed.
Old 05-24-23, 08:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Made progress on the '79 Viking "European." I was hoping to make this a parts bin build, but I'll need to track down a 26.6 seatpost and a downtube cable guide. I may have to pay a visit to the local bike co-op to finish up the bike. I picked out a set of 27 inch alloy wheels that I overhauled. They're in good shape. I overhauled the headset and installed a bottom bracket and crank. I suspect I'll swap out the handlebars as they don't look right on this bike.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-24-23 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-25-23, 05:53 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
This one needs to be on the road again for someone a lot taller than me. This is a freebee for anyone who can ride it and will be a nice 100 mile ride for that person. Not sure what category it will fit in "Found for Free" maybe. Smiles, MH

Tall Raleigh racing USA in need of a new owner

The size, and it is mostly complete to start
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-26-23, 05:36 AM
darnet

Found Tuesday (5/24/23), this Peugeot in the give-and-take area of the town transfer station. Bike itself had no markings for the model name. Plenty of rust, no chain. I took it home, and identified it as a 1983 UO-14. On inspection, fitted with wrong brake calipers, wrong rims. Original crank, derailleurs, and shifters, maybe other stuff. Intrigued, I wanted to test ride, so found a chain in my supply. Needed a pretty long chain. That's when I saw that both sprockets of the rear derailleur were in pieces. Thought that would be a quick fix, but no, furns out to be a problem. Seems that the Peugeot (aka Simplex) derailleur used a larger size sprocket bolt than normal, and thicker sleeves, and all of my Simplex derailleirs' sprockets are similarly broken. Took time to find some Suntour sprockets that had what seems to be the same bolt diameter. Switched them out, trued the rims, replaced tires, and was ready for a test ride. I liked it, steering was nice, a little harsh on bumps. Hills were good, this has a 38 tooth small chainwheel. I have to decide what to do now, to build the Super Tourer, or clean up and ride this.

Last edited by darnet; 05-26-23 at 08:21 AM. Reason: wrong picture uploaded
Likes For darnet:
Old 05-26-23, 05:51 PM
Mad Honk 

USAZorro
I'm not sure about this one, but I have a friend who just brought his bike to me to find a new home for it. I cleaned and tuned this less than six months ago and he is ready to let it go. Do you have anyone in this thread that might want to start with a nice bike and give it a loving new home? If not Ok I understand as it might not be within the parameters of the game. If it is OK I can post pictures here. Thanks, MH
Old 05-27-23, 01:44 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
USAZorro
I'm not sure about this one, but I have a friend who just brought his bike to me to find a new home for it. I cleaned and tuned this less than six months ago and he is ready to let it go. Do you have anyone in this thread that might want to start with a nice bike and give it a loving new home? If not Ok I understand as it might not be within the parameters of the game. If it is OK I can post pictures here. Thanks, MH
I wouldn't object, and seeing the fruits of someone's labors may prove inspiring. This said, I think a separate thread in either in C&V proper, or the C&V sales forum would likely be more effective in facilitating an adoption.
Old 05-27-23, 02:19 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Found Tuesday (5/24/23), this Peugeot in the give-and-take area of the town transfer station. Bike itself had no markings for the model name. Plenty of rust, no chain. I took it home, and identified it as a 1983 UO-14. On inspection, fitted with wrong brake calipers, wrong rims. Original crank, derailleurs, and shifters, maybe other stuff. Intrigued, I wanted to test ride, so found a chain in my supply. Needed a pretty long chain. That's when I saw that both sprockets of the rear derailleur were in pieces. Thought that would be a quick fix, but no, furns out to be a problem. Seems that the Peugeot (aka Simplex) derailleur used a larger size sprocket bolt than normal, and thicker sleeves, and all of my Simplex derailleirs' sprockets are similarly broken. Took time to find some Suntour sprockets that had what seems to be the same bolt diameter. Switched them out, trued the rims, replaced tires, and was ready for a test ride. I liked it, steering was nice, a little harsh on bumps. Hills were good, this has a 38 tooth small chainwheel. I have to decide what to do now, to build the Super Tourer, or clean up and ride this.
About a dozen years back I arrived at a similar conclusion about Simplex plastic parts and jockey wheels in particular. The irony I see is that the Sun Tour derailleurs have a superior design, so cannibalizing them to keep a Simplex in service is less of a win/win proposition than one would like. This said, I find your efforts squarely in-line with the spirit of Mucho-Cheapo.
Old 05-27-23, 02:21 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts

snip . . .
I wouldn't mind finding a UO 14 in my size. The UO series are classic Peugeots and the UO14 may be the best of the lot (and the last) as it came with mangalloy tubing (not hi tensile steel like the UO 10, 9 and 8) and very decent components (except perhaps the helicomatic rear hub).
Old 05-27-23, 03:07 PM
Mad Honk 

I wouldn't object, and seeing the fruits of someone's labors may prove inspiring. This said, I think a separate thread in either in C&V proper, or the C&V sales forum would likely be more effective in facilitating an adoption.
Will do. I just thought I would check with the folks here. I have already put up a not in the frame doesn't fit thread Thanks, MH
Old 06-03-23, 06:23 AM
darnet

Peugeot UO-14 chosen

Boring but true, I’ve decided to complete the challenge on the Peugeot UO-14, Midnight Blue, built with Mangaloy double butted tubing. I’ve already ridden it twice, once after installing a chain and replacing the busted rear derailleur jockey wheels, and once again after that, each 7 mile rides. Everything else still works, including the little adjusting screws in the rear dropouts.

My final inspection finds that the UO-14 has original Stronglight 99 crank, Simplex front and rear derailleurs and shifters, brake levers & hoods, and hubs, and I presume the seatpost.

Not original (or at least not matching the brochure) are the
- Rims -- 700c Mavic versus the brochure’s 27-1/4” Weinmann rims, laced to original looking hubs (rear helicomatic)
- Freewheel -- brochure specs 13-30 cluster, but this bike has narrower gearing, 13-23
- Brake calipers -- brochure specs center-pull brakes, and front fork still has fitting for centerpull cable, but installed brakes are sidepull (but do look period).
- Seat -- not a Peugeot, in fact it’s a Motebecane! Looks generic but it’s been comfortable so far.
- Handlebars not “taped”, instead they’re covered with those foamy grips, which I actually like.

I’m not sure I want to do any further repairs or changes unless something else breaks along the way. The surface rust is fine; I think it really makes the paint color pop! I might have been tempted to install center-pull brakes, if I hadn't lost the center cable from one of the Mafac’s pulled from last years Motobecane Mirage. I might still be tempted to somehow fit a bigger big gear; the original brochure called for 30 teeth, and 23 teeth are not going to work well on my roads (maybe swap out the wheels with those I used in 2021 or 2022 challenges).

Picture the day it was found; some rusty areas; Mangaloy decal and shifters

Hubs and rim

Drivetrain nice and original, and derailleurs shift flawlessly

other details
Likes For darnet:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.