Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I crashed my fixie. What do I do with it?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 02:21 PM
oship

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Title tells the story! I crashed my IRO fixie (steel frame, flip hop hub, I think the model is Mark V) a couple months ago. I’ve since bought a new bike and am looking to sell the fixie to make space, but I don’t know whether to sell it for parts, sell it as a project bike, take it to a bike shop, or make some repairs and sell it used. I’ll attach photos to my profile (I’m a newbie and can’t post URLs/pics, but try this: bikeforums dot net/g/picture/28743786). To my untrained eye, the bike currently has the following characteristics:

Cons:
  • Dented rear rim
  • Snapped rear brake lever
  • Scuffed seat, bar grips, front fork
  • Seized seat post (from previous owner, shame on me for not checking before buying used)
Pros:
  • Frame and forks are structurally sound
  • Front wheel in good condition and spins true
  • Tires hold air
  • Brake pads new
  • Generally a cool bike B-)

Is it totaled? Is it valuable? I understand the IRO frame has a following, but the seized seat post and stickers might make it unmarketable. Any thoughts are welcome!
Old 04-19-23, 03:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Pic assist:

The wheel looks to be rideable, although the dent will cause an annoying bump with every wheel rotation and a "grab" every time the dent passes the brake pads when using the brake. It's unlikely that this could be "trued" out; a replacement rim or wheel is the best fix. The brake lever can be replaced. They aren't expensive or difficult to replace.
Old 04-19-23, 09:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
You shouldn't buy a fixie too many problems. I like to buy a bike that doesn't need any fixies because in that case it would be a brokie.

Without the joking, if the frame and fork are good then just replace broken parts and ride the bike.
Old 04-19-23, 09:41 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Doubt its got much value as is, especially with stuck post and stickers,there'll be someone who will buy it but expect to let it go for peanuts. Unless there's some big name after market parts it won't get much there either, easiest to save the good parts and toss the rest or fix and ride.
Old 04-19-23, 10:25 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
The frame is steel. There are options for the stuck seat post.

A brake lever is only a few dollars.

The wheel is going to be the expensive part of this ordeal. But whose to say you can't re-rim the existing hub? $40 in spokes & $20 for a cheap rim. Lace it in an evening & pay a shop $35 for a tune & true. $100 & done.

I say keep it & pay the cost of admission. Perhaps learn a thing or two along the way?

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-20-23, 05:14 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Agreed with the previous posters. This is a couple hours worth of relaxed wrenching (including the wheel relacing) and it's a learning opportunity. It's also another reason to not simply dispose of a durable good, but fix it and maintain it. Maybe give yourself a riding break and stick a freewheel on it. Or simply have two bicycles, no harm in that, unless you live in a shoebox. I just got yet another "beater" bike and this will make for a total of nine regularly used bikes in my basement.
Old 04-23-23, 10:25 AM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Nah it's trash - send it to me and I will dispose of it for you free of charge.

for real - as the Tom waits song goes "there's nothing wrong with her a hundred dollars won't fix"
Likes For Bianchi pc:
Old 04-23-23, 10:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
The big question - the stuck seatpost. If your seat height isn't right and you cannot pull it out, can that frame and get another. (And I'd say this even if you didn't crash.)

If you can get the seatpost and seat right, replace the rear rim/wheel and brake lever and keep riding. (No rush on the wheel but it will drive you nuts, especially as a fix gear, And don't even think about running a gear that is an even number of wheel revolutions per pedal stroke. (48/16 for example.)
Old 04-24-23, 06:55 AM
oship

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The big question - the stuck seatpost. If your seat height isn't right and you cannot pull it out, can that frame and get another. (And I'd say this even if you didn't crash.)

If you can get the seatpost and seat right, replace the rear rim/wheel and brake lever and keep riding. (No rush on the wheel but it will drive you nuts, especially as a fix gear, And don't even think about running a gear that is an even number of wheel revolutions per pedal stroke. (48/16 for example.)
The seat height is just a tad too high — I was able to ride it fine but wish I could move it a half inch or inch down. I’ve tried to remove it but I’m pretty sure the aluminum post has fused with the steel frame, and I’m generally lacking in tools to remove it.

What do you mean by your last sentence? The bike right now is running 48/16. Is it a matter of consistent wear on the tire?
Old 04-24-23, 08:14 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
If the seat height is incorrect and cannot be changed, then the frame is useless IMO. Get rid of it and get something that fits you properly.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 04-24-23, 08:34 AM
oship

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
If the seat height is incorrect and cannot be changed, then the frame is useless IMO. Get rid of it and get something that fits you properly.
I understand. At this point, I’m leaning towards selling the bike for cheap since I don’t have room for two bikes. I wouldn’t sell it with the defective rim, so I like the idea from the folks’ previous replies to replace and relace the rear wheel. At that point it would still have a fixed seat post, so I’d probably let it go for $150 or less
Old 04-24-23, 08:59 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by oship
At that point it would still have a fixed seat post, so I’d probably let it go for $150 or less
You'll need to find a buyer with exactly the correct leg length to work with the seized seat post length. Why don't you just strip it down, rebuild the rear wheel, buy a new brake lever, keep the fork, find another frame and seat post, and then rebuild it ? You can then either throw the old frame with the seized seat post in a dumpster or use it as wall art.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-24-23, 10:27 AM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Lots of bike restoration videos online and on YouTube where mechanics are successful removing a seized seatpost from old rusty bikes - spraying,soaking, hammering in the right combination may do the trick. I'd ask a mechanic or two to try and get it out before I gave up on the whole thing...
Likes For Bianchi pc:
Old 04-24-23, 03:21 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
regarding the seat post - I will mention I had success involving the use of Corrosion Block spray as a means of breaking down the galvanic corrosion that had built up in one of my bikes. In this case, the seatpost AND the frame were both aluminum, especially challenging. In the end it involved lots of Corrosion Block and considerable force exerted by the LBS manager after we locked the top of the seat post into a massive bench vise.

Please note that this was an EXTREME case. I have had multiple aluminum alloy seat posts stuck in steel frames through the years and have been able to free ALL of them - so long as they involved in integral seat post. I would recommend fitting a cheap steel-railed saddle that you don't mind destroying, do repeated soaks of whatever anti-seize/frozen post relieving liquid you prefer - I kinda like PB Blaster myself, but all sorts of penetrating lubes work. Some swear by ATF (automatic transmission fluid) as a solvent. I have sometimes resorted to using a 3-foot length of galvanized plumbing pipe as a cheater to help force the saddle around to break the post free.

The late, great Sheldon Brown's opus on stuck seatposts may help. Regardless, this bike is NOT junk nor should it be junked. It just needs some repairs. As a heretic, I will note that if I could find a rim with the same effective rim diameter as the damaged one, I would simply tape the new rim onto the old one with the spoke holes properly aligned and move the spokes over one at a time until you're free of the damaged one. True and tighten and you're done. Done it many times with no issues.

The IRO had quite a following a few years back - oh, crap, 15 years now? At any rate, they were highly regarded, and I think this variant was the basis for the bike a guy on this forum used to ride up Mont Ventoux FOUR TIMES IN ONE DAY. Just for that, I would say fix it and ride it!

As far as scuffed, scratched, etc.? Aesthetics. I'll include a gratuitous pic of maybe my personal favorite fixed-gear ever, a battered '71 Gitane Tour de France converted to road fixed operation. It looks like utter hell and it is THE smoothest gliding bike I own.

Likes For rustystrings61: