Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frames and Framebuilding (1987) The American Handbuilt Frame -- Albert Eisentraut

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Frames and Framebuilding (1987) The American Handbuilt Frame -- Albert Eisentraut

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 04:22 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

Includes a review of the Eisentraut Rainbow.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 05-23-23, 12:06 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
What would the price be if the full labor content were included on the sticker - customer support, design, purchasing materials, materials, overhead, oh, and cost of labor?

That was a rhetorical question, at least to some degree, or not.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-23-23 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-23-23, 12:50 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
His story reminds me a little of Dave Van Ronk, who welcomed folk singers to New York during the folk revival of the 60s and showed them the ropes. Watched as some of his friends became huge stars (Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell) but never found lasting national success himself.

Interesting to hear how many frames he was churning out in California at one point and yet I've never seen one on any of the classifieds. Are they all being held by old racers from days back, or did they just get ridden into the ground?
Old 05-23-23, 01:44 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Interesting to hear how many frames he was churning out in California at one point and yet I've never seen one on any of the classifieds. Are they all being held by old racers from days back, or did they just get ridden into the ground?
Not all. Here's a beauty: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195048727271
Auction ends in 34 hours.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 05-23-23, 02:01 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
They appear from time to time, I got one from the local Craigslist. There's been a few others since then listed locally, the Limited frames are the ones you'll see most often in my experience. I love my Rainbow Traut.
Old 05-23-23, 03:30 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 645 Posts
Very interesting article about a talented framebuilder, thanks for sharing
Old 05-24-23, 03:59 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
His story reminds me a little of Dave Van Ronk, who welcomed folk singers to New York during the folk revival of the 60s and showed them the ropes. Watched as some of his friends became huge stars (Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell) but never found lasting national success himself.
…but still revered by wack ole men in obscure backwoods Pennsylvania towns. Big money? No. Lasting and National? Yeah. But, then, I grew up on Gene Shay and Michael Tearson radio.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 05-24-23, 05:35 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
…but still revered by wack ole men in obscure backwoods Pennsylvania towns. Big money? No. Lasting and National? Yeah. But, then, I grew up on Gene Shay and Michael Tearson radio.
Shades of WMMR & WIOQ! Remember David Dye? I grew up listening to new albums being played in their entirety on WMMR..ah,good times!
Old 05-24-23, 08:18 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Anyone note the crashed frame in one of the article images?
Old 05-25-23, 08:34 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
What would the price be if the full labor content were included on the sticker - customer support, design, purchasing materials, materials, overhead, oh, and cost of labor?

That was a rhetorical question, at least to some degree, or not.
It's interesting (to me) that so many framebuilders want to just build, but then end up in a business where they have to deal with customers and the concerns of running a business.
As an engineer, I loved to just focus on the problem solving and creation aspects of the job. Working for a large corporation largely kept me from having to worry about customers, selling stuff, etc. Would Albert have been better off at Schwinn, or eventually Waterford??

I do have respect for those that figure out how to produce just a few designs, with minor tweaks, and have those become highly desirable. It seemed like that was part of the genius of Richard Sachs.. he produced relatively simple racing frames with few options, but people were happy to write a check and wait quite a while to get their frame. I thought that Albert was in a similar situation?? His frames certainly had a great reputation.

OTOH, I also respect those builders who can manage to do original and creative work and somehow make a living. Not sure how many have other forms of income or support that make things work out. I love looking at pics of Brian Chapman's bikes, complete with the custom touches like hand-made brake calipers! Beautiful! Is he actually able to charge a proper labor rate for all of that work, though?? Can he charge what a plumber charges? I always assume that the privilege of doing creative work means that the pay is lower. That's why "starving artist" is a phrase, and "starving plumber" isn't.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-25-23, 11:24 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Perhaps I should re-read the article. Right or wrong, my impression was he had regrets and felt under valued (under paid) for his work, maybe even some bitterness. This is one of many quotes to which I refer.

" You see mediocre people making $100,000 per year and I am busting my ass for $15,000 maybe."

Is he still around, still in business making frames?

ETA - I found this on the web site, "The business is now closed, with reports of a rare frame being made for insiders, but no public offering...".

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-25-23 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 01:21 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,073 Posts
I remember an Albert quote from an interview. Maybe this article (I haven't read it closely, not recently anyway) or maybe it was another magazine. He was trying to discourage anyone from entering into the trade, saying something like "it's not going to get you laid." To which my reply was "then you're not doing it right!" I'll spare you the (many) details, but for just one example, I wouldn't have met my wife if I hadn't been working in the shop that day, and she probably wouldn't have given me a second look if I was "only" a bike mechanic. (Apologies to all bike mechanics, my wife is just a snob... ) I fixed her road frame, that she'd already got silver on at state road championships, and later raced at Nationals, then made her a pretty track frame that she got two state medals on. She would have won the same medals anyway, but wouldn't have looked quite as stylish doing so. The rest is sweet history.

Mark B
Old 05-26-23, 11:08 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
Seems appropriately inappropriate to repost this one here. 1978 "A" that I had repainted by Ed Litton (who worked with Eisentraut in making the Rainbow 'Trauts). I'm at least the third owner. It now sports fenders and is my wet road bike. The attention to detail on these frames is beyond belief. The ride is top drawer. The fact that it was made ten or so miles away from where I live is icing on the cake.
Old 05-26-23, 03:45 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Seems appropriately inappropriate to repost this one here. 1978 "A" that I had repainted by Ed Litton
Is that the era with the Eisentraut BB shell with the derailer cables cast-in, like wings to the left and right of the tube sockets? I'd kill for one of those...
The story I heard was Schwinn bought the tooling to cast those, and then ditched them, never made any. There'd be jail time for that, if I were king of the world!

Call me Draco
Old 05-26-23, 04:05 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Is that the era with the Eisentraut BB shell with the derailer cables cast-in, like wings to the left and right of the tube sockets? I'd kill for one of those...
The story I heard was Schwinn bought the tooling to cast those, and then ditched them, never made any. There'd be jail time for that, if I were king of the world!

Call me Draco
You mean like these? Yeah, they're pretty cool. (But please don't kill me; it might annoy my wife.)

BTW, notice the baby's-butt-smooth mitering between the stays and BB shell. An amazing amount of artistry in a place that no one, aside from the owner and/or the mechanic, will ever see. I have a frame from another of the very best builders in which the same joints are very workmanlike in appearance - strong, functional but strictly utilitarian. That doesn't make the other one a worse frame, but it does speak to the artist/perfectionist in Eisentraut.

Old 05-27-23, 04:17 PM
FlatKitten

Bikes: 1981 Shogun 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
You mean like these? Yeah, they're pretty cool. (But please don't kill me; it might annoy my wife.)

BTW, notice the baby's-butt-smooth mitering between the stays and BB shell. An amazing amount of artistry in a place that no one, aside from the owner and/or the mechanic, will ever see. I have a frame from another of the very best builders in which the same joints are very workmanlike in appearance - strong, functional but strictly utilitarian. That doesn't make the other one a worse frame, but it does speak to the artist/perfectionist in Eisentraut.
That's gorgeous!