Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is painting a frame worth it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 08:11 AM
scrandalla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts

I’v just acquired a 1986 Bianchi Squadra that was originally the Electric Rose color. It is badly faded…to the point where only the underside of the tubing retains the original color. Is it worth it to disassemble and paint the frame? I paid only $25 for the bike and it rides great. Thanks for any responses. No pics yet…you know, newbie rules.

Last edited by scrandalla; 06-12-23 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-25-23, 08:28 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by scrandalla
I’v just acquired a 1986 Bianchi Squadra that was originally the Electric Rose color. It is badly faded…to the point where only the underside of the tubing retains the original color. Is it worth it to disassemble and paint the frame? I paid only $25 for the bike an it rides great. Thanks for any responses. No pics yet…you know, newbie rules.
If it fits you and you say it rides great then most certainly it is worth it. Not sure if the Squadra is Taiwanese manufacture or tig welded or lugged or italian made - but depending on the construction if it is more utilitarian construction then this would be a good candidate for powder coating. Powder coating is the more affordable option and if done properly is a very durable finish. If the Squadra is some kind of collectible lugged Italian made Bianchi (maybe with chromed lugs or chromed fork or rear triangle) and you are interested in a full restoration then a proper repaint with multiple sprayed coats wet sanded in between, replacement decals sourced and applied, then clear coated over the top all for $$$.
Old 05-25-23, 08:47 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
That is definitely a question each individual will need to answer on their own.
Old 05-25-23, 08:48 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 218 Posts
The Strada (at least of that generation) was an entry level bike.

If there is no rust present, and simply faded paint, I would have a hard time putting the money and effort into a paint or even powder coat.

There are too many better bicycles to be found with great paint and likely with higher end construction/parts...for the cost of the refinishing of your entry level bike.

Just ride it!
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 05-25-23, 08:57 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
No pics yet…you know, newbie rules.
While you can't include pics in your posts yet, you can create a personal album under your BF user profile and upload photos there. If you do that, post the fact you've done it here and another member can (and almost certainly will) provide a "pic assist".
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 05-25-23, 08:59 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Even though that was a "mid level" bike in its day, it has the same lugged Columbus frame as some of its more expensive siblings, and as you found out, are a great riding bike. Since it's not really collectible, go ahead and do a powder coat. It's definitely worth it. I'd call that frame a keeper.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 05-25-23, 09:00 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Here's another thread on that model of Bianchi.
Brent

Old 05-25-23, 09:02 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
It may be possible that if you use an automotive rubbing compound on it, followed by polishing compound that some of the color may come back. It may be worth a try. If you don't have rubbing compound and just want to see if it is possible to get some color back try using toothpaste in an inconspicuous location. I try to reserve painting as the last thing to do after trying other things like touching up and polishing first.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 05-25-23, 09:03 AM
Hondo6

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
No pics yet…you know, newbie rules.
While you can't include pics in your posts yet, you can create a personal album under your BF user profile and upload photos there. If you do that, post the fact you've done it here and another member can (and almost certainly will) provide a "pic assist".
Old 05-25-23, 10:06 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 149 Posts
Pic assist (more in OP's gallery):

With a good cleaning, polish and wax, I'd imagine that frame would look just fine without a repaint.
Old 05-25-23, 10:18 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Agree with CO_Hoya. Clean, rub, polish, ride with pride.
Old 05-25-23, 10:21 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
I would leave it as it is. Yes the color is faded, very common for reds and pinks, it's not coming back with a rub down.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-25-23, 10:40 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Is it 'worth it' in the sense that you would recuperate the cost when you sell it? No.
Is it 'worth it' in the sense of you taking pride in restoring the frame, and this is a beautiful color by the way? Yes, of course.
That goes for a lot of things we do here in C&V-land. It's not going to make financial or any other kind of sense.

BTW, there are some nasty low grade components on this bike. This is a mid range Bianchi. It must have left with factory with better components than these.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-25-23, 10:46 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have splurged on exactly one professional repaint job, the 1959 Capo in 2003. Doing so probably made no economic sense whatsoever, but it does look stunning, and my wife regarded the expenditure as her 30th anniversary present to me.

I have rattle-canned a couple of lesser transportation beater bikes, but I wouldn't do that to anything halfway decent with original paint.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 05-25-23, 10:53 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I have splurged on exactly one professional repaint job, the 1959 Capo in 2003. Doing so probably made no economic sense whatsoever, but it does look stunning, and my wife regarded the expenditure as her 30th anniversary present to me.

I have rattle-canned a couple of lesser transportation beater bikes, but I wouldn't do that to anything halfway decent with original paint.
You beat me to the rattle-can suggestion. His Bianchi looks fine, as it stands, and not worth the effort for a home spray.
Now, let's see your '59 Capo!
Old 05-25-23, 11:03 AM
LeftCoastJon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I understand your point, but what about a rattle can clear coat as lesser sacrilege? I had what I thought was a successful outcome a few years ago with an old mountain bike with scratches and chips - strip down, clean, polish and then a simple rattle can clear coat just to make the most of whatever shine there still was, offer some protection.
Old 05-25-23, 11:04 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
You beat me to the rattle-can suggestion. His Bianchi looks fine, as it stands, and not worth the effort for a home spray.
Now, let's see your '59 Capo!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 05-25-23, 11:17 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya

With a good cleaning, polish and wax, I'd imagine that frame would look just fine without a repaint.
100% agree do not paint, you will lose a lot of just plain cool Clean, polish and wax or ceramic coat

beyont that doing a good paint job is labor, chemical and cost intensive if you want it to last

paint from hardware stores can look great but is not durable

to get a good paint job
  1. all components off
  2. strip all paint from frame
  3. clean with paint prep, gloves only fron now on
  4. acid etch primer
  5. Sanding primer
  6. sand
  7. dust
  8. clean
  9. multiple coats of color closely following repaint time (don't forget respirator)
  10. multople coats of clear
  11. Decals if you can get them
  12. more clear

or powder coat

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-25-23, 11:30 AM
Andy_K 

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Is it 'worth it' in the sense that you would recuperate the cost when you sell it? No.
Is it 'worth it' in the sense of you taking pride in restoring the frame, and this is a beautiful color by the way? Yes, of course.
That goes for a lot of things we do here in C&V-land. It's not going to make financial or any other kind of sense.
That's exactly the way I'd view it. There are essentially five cost levels here:

1. Wash, polish, and lube everything
2. Wash, polish, and lube everything, plus replace worn out cables, tires, and chain
3. Strip it down and spray paint it yourself
4. Strip it down and send it out for powder coating
5. Strip it down and send it out for professional re-painting

If you intend to resell the bike, level 1 on this list is the only one that's going to add more value than it costs, and even that would be debatable on a more collectible bike. If the bike is the right size for you, I'd recommend going with number 2 and then ride it at least a few hundred miles to decide if you want to throw more money into it. Cost level 3 (spray paint) might sound like it's cheaper than number 4 (powder coat), but by the time you've bought paint, primer, drop cloths, sandpaper, cleaning supplies, etc.., it's really not much more to go with a simple, one- color powder coat. There is a lot more satisfaction in painting it yourself if it comes out looking good, but spray paint will never be anywhere near as durable and the first few times you do it won't look as good as powder coating. Professional paint is really expensive, and should be reserved for bikes that you really love.

Because we like pics here, I'm going to share one each from my collection to compare and contrast, spray paint, powder, and pro paint. I think this really highlights the value of powder coating.

Rust-Oleum spray paint with cheap (diylettering.com) decals:

Very good powder coating (Groody Bros) with replacement decals

Top-notch professional paint (Jeff Bock) with replacement decals

Up close and in person, there's no question about the relative quality of these. The pro paint is simply fantastic. It also cost three times as much as the powder coating. I paid $350 for the powder coating, including decal application and hand-paint fill of the fork crown. You can get a simple powder coat for less than half of that. The spray paint looks pretty good from 10 feet away, but it has some texture, and within 100 miles it was starting to chip.

My recommendations:

Beater bike -- wash (optional) and ride
Beater bike with paint and/or rust so nasty that it makes you not want to ride it -- spray paint if you want the experience of painting a bike, otherwise recycle and find something else
Daily rider that you really like with paint that can't be touched up -- powder coat
Show piece or the pride of your bike collection -- professional paint

Last edited by Andy_K; 05-25-23 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-25-23, 12:52 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I would leave it as it is. Yes the color is faded, very common for reds and pinks, it's not coming back with a rub down.
It won't add luster/lustre, but it sure will look nicer without the competition from the accumulated crud that would come off easily with even a mild cleaning.
Old 05-26-23, 07:16 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya

This bike oozes mojo as is!
Likes For eljayski:
Old 05-26-23, 07:42 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
+1 for cleaning i/o painting here. And even before that if you could set that saddle on a trajectory, it would do wonders to the overall look, but its just my opinion.
Now I scrolled back to see if that is really that bad, and my opinion didn't change. But I have one question. Is it your riding height? In case yes, this frame might be too big for you.
Tiny EGOist, my Rossin triathlon went from a dark blue to roughly as light as yours (but in a mix of silver/blue/violet), I still hesitate to repaing as it would lose the special factor.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-26-23, 10:45 AM
scrandalla

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Haha, a new saddle is on the way. This one has got to go. The frame is 53cm so there was only one size smaller…a 50cm I think. When the new saddle arrives I’ll play with the height. It’s a close call on the size but hey, $25. The quill stem is odd…not OEM. If it were replaced with the right one then it would help correct the geometry.

Last edited by scrandalla; 05-26-23 at 10:50 AM.
Likes For scrandalla:
Old 05-26-23, 11:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
I've repainted two frames in my long life of cycling and wrenching.

The first one, the frame painter let me do the stripping and sanding to save money. That ended up being a bad idea because it took so long and was so annoying. I was happy with the result of his painting however.

The second one was a frame my friend had stripped and primed before selling it to me. I hand painted it with a brush. Considering my low skill level and the fact that this is my commuter bike, I'm happy with the result, but this was also a much bigger project than I had anticipated.

So whether you do it or get help, it's a big deal. If you have it done entirely by someone else, it's expensive. So whichever way you do it, it's worth it only if it's a frame you love very much.

I'm facing the decision with a third frame, and I've been putting it off for years. It's an eyesore, and it might rust if I don't get to it soon enough. I'll probably do whatever is cheap and quick.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-23, 12:00 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've repainted two frames in my long life of cycling and wrenching.

The first one, the frame painter let me do the stripping and sanding to save money. That ended up being a bad idea because it took so long and was so annoying. I was happy with the result of his painting however.

The second one was a frame my friend had stripped and primed before selling it to me. I hand painted it with a brush. Considering my low skill level and the fact that this is my commuter bike, I'm happy with the result, but this was also a much bigger project than I had anticipated.

So whether you do it or get help, it's a big deal. If you have it done entirely by someone else, it's expensive. So whichever way you do it, it's worth it only if it's a frame you love very much.

I'm facing the decision with a third frame, and I've been putting it off for years. It's an eyesore, and it might rust if I don't get to it soon enough. I'll probably do whatever is cheap and quick.
Tom, depending on your needs, really good results can be achieved today with a dremel, or etching jelly when it comes to stripping. Also today's rattlecans are way better than what was available 10 or more years ago.
I don't say, the whole act became as easy pouring a glass of water, but also not an everlasting torture with necessary crappy results anymore. Just stay away from the 2K "real" car laquers, which are the real stuff what car painters use in a can, but that does not mean they do not require the same professional safety equipment they (should) use when they spray with a compressor.
Likes For Lattz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.