Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bout nylon fasteners?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bout nylon fasteners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 09:18 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
bout nylon fasteners?

Anybody use them? Of course, theyre lighter & dont rust. Bicycle applications dont require much from a fastener? Ive always used them to plug 'brazeon' holes. Now, Im wondering if they could be used to secure a cage or mini pump. Or even on brake or shift lever clamps?
Old 01-31-22, 09:21 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
You will use all the way up the the first time they break and you have a crash avoidance with your bottle (equipment) and you have to ride back to get it and then carry it home.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 01-31-22, 09:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
For bottle cages not used with big bottles like 2L soda bottles they may be OK. Maybe. For any critical part like brake or shift levers, absolutely not. Many bicycle applications require a lot from a fastener and the trivial weight savings is foolish. If you have rust problems buy stainless steel fasteners.

I have used them to secure fender struts since they will break away if if something like mud or a stick gets jammed between the tire and the fender. Here their lack of strength is a benefit.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-31-22, 09:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Seems like just trying it out and getting some first hand experience would give you a better answer than a bunch of guesses from us.

However I think you'll find that after a few hundred miles your bottle cage or pump mounts will be pretty loose if they didn't shear off from times you bumped up against it.

What's the issue you want to solve? Bolts and nuts are pretty cheap and easy to find if you know where to look for them.
Old 01-31-22, 09:34 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Bottle cage or mini-pump - maybe... I'd guess they have a 50% chance of holding on for a few rides. The problem is that a rigid bike frame transmits a lot of road shock to everything attached to the frame, and 1 L of water is 1kg of mass that needs to be accelerated and decelerated along with the frame, and nylon bolts will not withstand this for long. I suspect a minipump fastened with nylon will hang on better under regular riding forces, but nylon bolts might fail after you pull the pump from it's mount multiple times.

Anything else, though? No. Brake levers clamp? Nope. That's a very stupid and dangerous idea. Fasteners are chosen based on the strength of the material that is originally planned for the application. Replacing steel bolts with lighter (and weaker by X-sectional area) is risking broken fasteners, and these replacement materials are usually titanium and aluminum - far far stronger than nylon - and they still pay a reliability penalty.
Old 01-31-22, 09:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Bottle cage or mini-pump - maybe... I'd guess they have a 50% chance of holding on for a few rides. The problem is that a rigid bike frame transmits a lot of road shock to everything attached to the frame, and 1 L of water is 1kg of mass that needs to be accelerated and decelerated along with the frame, and nylon bolts will not withstand this for long. I suspect a minipump fastened with nylon will hang on better under regular riding forces, but nylon bolts might fail after you pull the pump from it's mount multiple times.

Anything else, though? No. Brake levers clamp? Nope. That's a very stupid and dangerous idea. Fasteners are chosen based on the strength of the material that is originally planned for the application. Replacing steel bolts with lighter (and weaker by X-sectional area) is risking broken fasteners, and these replacement materials are usually titanium and aluminum - far far stronger than nylon - and they still pay a reliability penalty.
This. It can be surprising at how strong the vibration forces are. Our bodies are very good at damping our control center from these forces (our brain is at the end of a flexible and muscle damped spring called a spine) and thus we often don't give much credit to what the rigid bike parts are seeing.

When I had a shop in Cleveland I was lucky to befriend a really smart guy. As in dual PhDs in mechanical engineering and medicine. He was also a daily bike commuter and wasn't happy with the lighting options at the time (late 1980s) so did his research and came up with a LED tail light in a plastic housing. During his prototyping he had a few issues with the small wires he would solder (threaded contacts failed the exposure factors). These wires would flex and vibrate with the shocks and in time break. (He mentioned his next move was to design and get made a tiny circuit board housing the battery contacts too). The process stopped after a couple of years due to two reasons.. One was that he learned that getting a patent was too costly and offered no real protection from copies, and second was the Vista Light came out. I brought one back from the Fall bike show the first year Vista was producing them. The look on his face said it all. he saw the product he had been working on for those years as a refined and slick package. Andy
Old 01-31-22, 11:17 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Blocking holes or mini pump perhaps, and maybe the breakaway idea.

But I wouldn't do even a bottle cage - what are you going to do when it breaks?

Last month I was very glad though that my unused seat tube bottle cage mounts had real socket head cap screws in them - discovered one of the screws for a (since replaced) rack that I'd carelessly installed had vibrated out and fallen off, but was able to take one of the unused bottle cage mount screws to fix it, and temporarily cover that hole with some electrical tape.
Old 01-31-22, 11:59 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I would think the cost to make plastic bolts/fasteners “might” be cheaper than steel.

If that is true, you have to think about it. When an industry obsessed with cost and weight doesn’t use them in those applications, it isn’t because they haven’t considered it.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 01-31-22, 12:02 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This. It can be surprising at how strong the vibration forces are. Our bodies are very good at damping our control center from these forces (our brain is at the end of a flexible and muscle damped spring called a spine) and thus we often don't give much credit to what the rigid bike parts are seeing.

When I had a shop in Cleveland I was lucky to befriend a really smart guy. As in dual PhDs in mechanical engineering and medicine. He was also a daily bike commuter and wasn't happy with the lighting options at the time (late 1980s) so did his research and came up with a LED tail light in a plastic housing. During his prototyping he had a few issues with the small wires he would solder (threaded contacts failed the exposure factors). These wires would flex and vibrate with the shocks and in time break. (He mentioned his next move was to design and get made a tiny circuit board housing the battery contacts too). The process stopped after a couple of years due to two reasons.. One was that he learned that getting a patent was too costly and offered no real protection from copies, and second was the Vista Light came out. I brought one back from the Fall bike show the first year Vista was producing them. The look on his face said it all. he saw the product he had been working on for those years as a refined and slick package. Andy
I design wiring harness for heavy-duty off-road vehicles. ANY soldered wire will break in a vibration environment. I've seen literally hundreds of tests and field reports, and soldered wires are one of the most common failures. There's a reason that high reliability applications use crimp on contacts. Military and space are an exception, but they use assemblers that have several hundred hours of soldering training and have daily soldering checks.

As far as nylon fasteners, one machine I worked on handled chemicals that would corrode metals very rapidly. Everything was fastened with nylon fasteners. The trick was that if we would use an M5 steel or stainless screw we had an M8 or M10 nylon fastener there instead. Made for some ridiculously large fasteners, but everything held together, even after bouncing all over a field for a few months.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 01-31-22, 01:43 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Military and space are an exception, but they use assemblers that have several hundred hours of soldering training and have daily soldering checks.
I have worked in both military and space and the use of crimped terminations was common and is getting more so. Even with trained assemblers using thermal strippers and anti-wicking tweezers and all of the other controls the soldered connections are still troublesome. Plus, few want to do the very exacting work and many lack the hand-eye coordination.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 01-31-22, 02:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If you are desperate for weight savings aluminum or titanium is a fine way to go but plastic not so much. For plugging a frame sure but beyond that I wouldn't use them for anything else. The very minimal weight savings to hold a fairly heavy water bottle for something that won't last is beyond not worth it.
Old 01-31-22, 04:06 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
If you look you'll see there are nylon compounds that are primarily nylon and there are nylon compounds with fillers added . For fasteners, you may have glass-filled nylon making it stiffer and easier to machine but it's still not very strong. Nylon stretches quite a bit on it's own making it difficult to put any real torque on a fastener so unsuitable for just about anything on a bike in my opinion.

There are some special plastics that might work although will be harder to find and maybe expensive . Acetal is one that has good strength and not expensive although you may not easily find what you need. PEEK is another but that it very pricey.

For the gram or two per fastener you may save, I really don't see it being worth the effort and risk of having something come apart mid-ride.
Old 01-31-22, 05:02 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Bicycle fasteners have been refined and standardized for over 100 years. They are dimensioned around the strength required of the given material. If they could've used a smaller nut or bolt, they would have. Nylon is much less strong than steel. Therefore, you would have to use a much larger bolt to get the same strength. So you probably wouldn't save any weight...

A notable exception is water bottle bolts. In this case, M5 is used because it's a common size on bicycles, not because you need two steel M5 bolts to hold a water bottle. Replacing them with titanium or even aluminum can be ok. I would be very surprised if nylon worked for more than a couple rides.

In case it hasn't been made perfectly clear, DO NOT replace any bolts with nylon if they have to do with safety or structural integrity (brakes, stem bolts, etc.)
Old 01-31-22, 05:31 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I have used them to secure fender struts since they will break away if if something like mud or a stick gets jammed between the tire and the fender. Here their lack of strength is a benefit.
I have those black plastic breakaway tabs on my front fenders. They tend to allow the metal stays to rattle loudly. Replacing the tab with a 5mm nylon screw seems like a good fix. Do you have experience or have talk to others that know the nylon screw will break away in the event of fender jamming?
Old 01-31-22, 06:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Other than plugging braze-on holes or maybe fenders forget it. You'd be absolutely nuts to use them for brake levers/shifters. That's just plain stupid.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-31-22, 08:16 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I have worked in both military and space and the use of crimped terminations was common and is getting more so. Even with trained assemblers using thermal strippers and anti-wicking tweezers and all of the other controls the soldered connections are still troublesome. Plus, few want to do the very exacting work and many lack the hand-eye coordination.
dsbrantjr, we just had dinner with my neighbor. He owns a welding machine supply and repair company. He was telling me about tig welding inconel jet engine test probes - he had to hold his breath for about 60 seconds to ensure that there were no discontinuities in the weld. I think that you're right: very few have the patience and skill to do that.

Oh, and to the OP: NO FLIPPING WAY! Brake bolts? I submit that bike manufacturers have worked to whittle down costs ruthlessly. And even on Walmart BSOs, they use metal (mostly steel) bolts. There's a reason why they dont use plastic. Stainless has about 8 or more times the shear and tensile strength of a strong plastic (e.g. PEEK). If you're concerned about corrosion, use stainless or Ti (with anti-sieze). Plastics just can't be relied upon in critical fastener service.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 01-31-22 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 08:57 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Replacing the tab with a 5mm nylon screw seems like a good fix. Do you have experience or have talk to others that know the nylon screw will break away in the event of fender jamming?
Fortunately, I've never jammed anything between my tire and fender that gave the bolts a test. I used them based on a recommendation in an article I saw in a bike touring magazine and it seemed like a good idea.
Old 02-01-22, 11:41 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
This is trying to solve a non-problem. But the engineering color is interesting.
Old 02-01-22, 12:38 PM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Bicycle applications dont require much from a fastener?
This statement seems to indicate that you are not too familiar with bicycle repair and function. With the exception of waterbottle bolts, just about every fastener on a bike is appropriately sized, and any changes that weaken the fastener (smaller size, less-strong material) will result in a broken fastener sooner than later.