Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PX-10(?) crank question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-25-22, 02:18 PM
gdgross

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Hi all - my commuter bike is a Peugeot PX something, maybe a 10, that's older than I am, and I love the thing to death. No need for a new bike if I can keep this baby alive!

The latest problem was the crank seizing up, which I mostly fixed by removing the left side crank and cleaning and re installing, and re-lubing, the ball bearings. That made it mostly functional, but it was still a little stiff and since I was in the zone I tried taking the sprockt side crank off as well, which I did.

The problem is how to remove the shaft cover thing on the sprocket side. It's an octagon, and looks to be 1.5" diameter. I tried with my big crescent wrench, but I can't get a good enough grip on it without it slipping off, and I'm afraid of rounding the edges, so I don't want to push it.

Question is, is there a tool for removing/tightening/loosening this thing? (and what's it even called? sprocket side ball bearing cover? lol)

pics attached

Thanks!

Geoff

Unfortunately, the forum won't let me post a picture I guess because I'm too new I suppose? (I can DM to anyone who want to see, or maybe I'll figure out a workaround after I post this.)
Old 11-25-22, 02:33 PM
gdgross

Dummy post to get to ten so i can post pics
Old 11-25-22, 02:34 PM
gdgross

Old 11-25-22, 02:35 PM
gdgross

And one more

Old 11-25-22, 02:37 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
That is the "fixed cup," which is left hand threaded. Edit: incorrect as stated in subsequent posts.

Last edited by Insidious C.; 11-25-22 at 03:23 PM.
Likes For Insidious C.:
Old 11-25-22, 02:45 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 148 Posts
Here is Sheldon Brown's bottom bracket cribsheet (link).

That is almost certainly a French-threaded bottom bracket, and therefore the "fixed" cup has a tendency to loosen up over time if not secured very well.

It is not unusual that this cup is very well-fixed indeed, if it has not loosened up on you. It may be wise to service the rest of the bottom bracket but leave that cup in place.
Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 11-25-22, 02:48 PM
gdgross

Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
Here is Sheldon Brown's bottom bracket cribsheet (link).

That is almost certainly a French-threaded bottom bracket, and therefore the "fixed" cup has a tendency to loosen up over time if not secured very well.

It is not unusual that this cup is very well-fixed indeed, if it has not loosened up on you. It may be wise to service the rest of the bottom bracket but leave that cup in place.
Ah, ok -

Can I get to everything from the other side then? Happy to leave it on if it's better to do so!
Old 11-25-22, 02:49 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
That is the "fixed cup," which is left hand threaded.
Probably French threading, so counter clockwise to loosen.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-25-22, 03:00 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by gdgross
Ah, ok -

Can I get to everything from the other side then? Happy to leave it on if it's better to do so!
While not ideal, you should be able to manage cleaning and lubing with that cup left in place.
Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 11-25-22, 03:03 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Late to the party - never mind.
Likes For kunsunoke:
Old 11-25-22, 03:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Ah, ok -

...yes, this is what you want to do. Some of those fixed cups in old French frames are stuck in there pretty solidly. If the bearing surfaces are still smooth inside, (look inside with a light, after you wipe out the old grease), leave it in place and run a bead of grease around the perimeter, to hold the new bearings. (In a case like yours, I usually buy and install new ball bearings. They are pretty cheap. Buy the proper size.) Then you slide in the spindle, and install the adjustable cup, which also has bearings stuck in there with a bead of fresh grease.

If you can find one, this would also be the time to install a plastic shield in there, but it's not required for the thing to work.
The spindle may be asymmetric, in which case the longest taper side is the drive side, and goes in first.
Old 11-25-22, 04:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Ah, ok -

Its not better, just easier, often times way easier.

They should always be taken out for proper service of cup AND threads, many here disagree, so be it.

There is a simple if not a bit convoluted process that I always use to get them out, every single time, period.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-25-22, 04:39 PM
gdgross

Welp it was pretty easy getting to the bearings and removing the shaft from the other side. Got everything out, cleaned and reinstalled with new grease in under half an hour.

Thanks for the help! It feels much much smoother than before. I did have to grind down the inside of the crank arm a bit as it was binding when I tightened everything up, but once that was done this thing spins better than it ever has.

Now I just have to figure out how to get a seized pedal unscrewed from the sprocket side crank arm. It's in there reeeeeeal good. I've put the crank arm in my bench vise and still cant get the pedal to budge. Soak in WD40 or something?

Last edited by gdgross; 11-25-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 05:03 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 214 Posts
Soaking with penetrant might help although with galvanic corrosion it won't penetrate. You might try an acid like vinegar.
Aluminium will expand more than steel when heated so hitting the spindle with a creme brule torch for a bit can help, though some say this is sketchy.
I usually get it with just a long pipe over a wrench. The amount of force the 15mm flats can take before a wrench would cam out is a lot. If you haven't stripped/snapped a wrench it's not really stuck.
Likes For Soody:
Old 11-25-22, 05:06 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

What I did the other day when a wrench actually did strip out was take the body off the pedal and stick the axle in a vice and have a couple people wail on the crank to turn it, that worked.
Old 11-25-22, 05:26 PM
Soody

Hold up sorry I think it's possible the crank is threaded for french pedals and someone has just jammed a regular set in there?
Others will have better advice on that then. I think you might possibly be destroying the crank if you remove them
Likes For Soody:
Old 11-25-22, 05:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...for really stuck pedals, I heat the area around the pedal shaft where it goes into the crank arm with a MAPP gas plumber's brazing torch, but you can melt aluminum with one of those, if you get it too hot. Don't melt the aluminum, and if you have some Freeze-Off, do a couple of heating and cooling cycles. Unfortunately, when a pedal is really seized in an aluminum crank arm, sometimes some of the threads come out welded by corrosion to the pedal. But don't worry about it unless it actually happens.
Old 11-25-22, 05:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Welp it was pretty easy getting to the bearings and removing the shaft from the other side. Got everything out, cleaned and reinstalled with new grease in under half an hour.

Thanks for the help! It feels much much smoother than before. I did have to grind down the inside of the crank arm a bit as it was binding when I tightened everything up, but once that was done this thing spins better than it ever has.

Now I just have to figure out how to get a seized pedal unscrewed from the sprocket side crank arm. It's in there reeeeeeal good. I've put the crank arm in my bench vise and still cant get the pedal to budge. Soak in WD40 or something?
If you had to grind on the crank arm, the spindle is in backwards or something else is wrong.

You should NEVER grind on a crank arm, it is weakened at that point now, you need to sand and smooth that area now, at the very least.

That pedal is the wrong thread for the crank and without mad skills and and a standard pedal tap, you will be hard pressed to get it out and corrected.

We can see from here it is not seated for being cross threaded, you might be able to overhaul it and keep it usable by 'leaving it in place" too.
Old 11-25-22, 06:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Soody
Hold up sorry I think it's possible the crank is threaded for french pedals and someone has just jammed a regular set in there?
Others will have better advice on that then. I think you might possibly be destroying the crank if you remove them
...there is a relatively simple repair for this, but I think he'll have trouble finding someone to do it.

Old 11-25-22, 06:58 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...there is a relatively simple repair for this, but I think he'll have trouble finding someone to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQuZ4i2Bxc
Between you and I, he now knows where at least two of us are, although even I might be hesitant to work on this with it not being my own.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-25-22, 09:57 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
If you did not remove too much, smooth as suggested and then I would leave things as they are, pedal and all.......
Good Luck, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 11-25-22, 10:20 PM
gdgross

Thanks for the heating/cooling advice, guys, great idea! I might just let it soak in the oven at 200 for half an hour and see if that loosens things.

FYI I did put that pedal in myself, almost 20 years ago. I don't remember exactly, but I'd guess I didn't cross-thread it or anything. The mate on the other crank arm came out just fine, although it's a newer arm and possibly was replaced by a bike shop.

Re: the grinding on the crank arm. I should have said "sanding" but the point is well-taken. I'll keep my eyes on it. The inside of the arm was rubbing against the adjustable cup somewhat. I didn't have to sand much at all to get it to turn without binding when I tightened it down. FYI it's definitely not the original crank. (Although the sprocket side is, AFAIK.)

Thanks again all.
Old 11-26-22, 01:52 AM
merziac

Thanks for the heating/cooling advice, guys, great idea! I might just let it soak in the oven at 200 for half an hour and see if that loosens things.

FYI I did put that pedal in myself, almost 20 years ago. I don't remember exactly, but I'd guess I didn't cross-thread it or anything. The mate on the other crank arm came out just fine, although it's a newer arm and possibly was replaced by a bike shop.

Re: the grinding on the crank arm. I should have said "sanding" but the point is well-taken. I'll keep my eyes on it. The inside of the arm was rubbing against the adjustable cup somewhat. I didn't have to sand much at all to get it to turn without binding when I tightened it down. FYI it's definitely not the original crank. (Although the sprocket side is, AFAIK.)

Thanks again all.
Ok, well it sounds like none of this should be surprising and maybe the problems we usually see with these were encountered years ago, some by you and may have been at least partially if not mostly mitigated at the time.

That being said it also sounds like some of the fallout is revisiting now and you are managing to wrangle it yet again.

We really like to dig into this exact thing as you can tell but we usually need more blow by blow to keep up.

it would have been nice to have these gory details going in as we could have dispensed with our standard tack that usually applies 90% of the time.

Glad you seem to have gotten the best of it again and hope it gets you down the road.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-26-22, 07:30 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
The problem is how to remove the shaft cover thing on the sprocket side. It's an octagon, and looks to be 1.5" diameter. I tried with my big crescent wrench, but I can't get a good enough grip on it without it slipping off, and I'm afraid of rounding the edges, so I don't want to push it.
If you really want to get it out you pretty much have to bolt whatever tool you use to the cup so it doesn't slip.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-cup-tool.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-26-22, 07:35 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
The pedal came off the non drive side (left) crank arm because it is modern and compatible with your pedals. The drive side original crank arm is likely French and the pedal you forced on did not have matching threads. Also that replaced crank arm does not match the spindle axle thing and goes on too far. Stick with it. We learn as we go. A PX-10 is a nice place to start. You will have a very nice rider eventually.
link to other thread with a picture: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-pueugot.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.