Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Seat post slides down

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Seat post slides down

Old 12-01-22, 07:56 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Seat post slides down

I have a seatpost that keeps sliding down and I got someone to have a look at it last week. A free bike mechanic. They put degreaser on it and the solution seem to work for a bit but then started sliding again. No matter how tight I try and clampit it makes really no difference. It's just seems to have gotten worse in the last 6 months. I have it held up at the moment with some items that were in my bike related box if you will and it seems to be working for now. I don't know if it's good solution but someone reading this might have a better solution than this
Old 12-01-22, 01:13 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Have you check if you have the correct diameter seatpost for your frame?
Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-01-22, 02:20 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Check to see that the seat tube itself and the clamp is not damaged or cracked. If nothing seems wrong, you can make a secondary clamp from a quick release clamp. I had to do this for my Brompton. This one is made from a seatpost quick release post. I had to file away the lip on the clamp to make it work.

Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 12-02-22, 07:39 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by cat0020
Have you check if you have the correct diameter seatpost for your frame?
thanks its the same seatpost thats been on for years so kind of no need. fits fine . issue is new
Old 12-02-22, 07:41 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Check to see that the seat tube itself and the clamp is not damaged or cracked. If nothing seems wrong, you can make a secondary clamp from a quick release clamp. I had to do this for my Brompton. This one is made from a seatpost quick release post. I had to file away the lip on the clamp to make it work.

Hi there is only one clamp on mine and no way to put another as far as i can tell. mine doesnt look like that. not a brompton. no cracks etc. not sure what you mean by the lip
Old 12-02-22, 08:31 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by rapattack
Hi there is only one clamp on mine and no way to put another as far as i can tell. mine doesnt look like that. not a brompton. no cracks etc. not sure what you mean by the lip
It will work. Your seatpost is round, right? Look at this one, as a example. See the lip. Look carefully at it.
Old 12-02-22, 08:36 AM
rapattack

It will work. Your seatpost is round, right? Look at this one, as a example. See the lip. Look carefully at it.
yes thats whats on the bike already. What lip? sorry i dont understand
Old 12-02-22, 08:52 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

yes thats whats on the bike already. What lip? sorry i dont understand
Yes there is seatpost clamp on yours already. You would add one like the one I linked too but you would have to modify a bit. If you look carefully at it there is a lip on the inner edge. That lip needs to be filed down.
Old 12-02-22, 08:55 AM
rapattack

Yes there is seatpost clamp on yours already. You would add one like the one I linked too but you would have to modify a bit. If you look carefully at it there is a lip on the inner edge. That lip needs to be filed down.
sorry i dont get it. So i would have 2 exactly the same? i dont see where or how. i honestly have no idea what a lip is on this
Old 12-02-22, 09:00 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

sorry i dont get it. So i would have 2 exactly the same? i dont see where or how. i honestly have no idea what a lip is on this
No, the original one clamps around the seat tube and forces the seat tube to pinch the seatpost. The additional one goes around the seatpost only, and prevents it from slipping down. There is a video of this made by a forum member and posted on the forum somewhere.
Old 12-02-22, 09:08 AM
rapattack

No, the original one clamps around the seat tube and forces the seat tube to pinch the seatpost. The additional one goes around the seatpost only, and prevents it from slipping down. There is a video of this made by a forum member and posted on the forum somewhere.
not with mine. i only have one clamp or quick release
Old 12-02-22, 09:14 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

You have to buy the second one. Sorry, I can not explain it better. You buy the second one like the one I linked too for your diameter seatpost. Then you modify it by filing off the lip. Then you install it. Then your seatpost won't slip anymore.
Old 12-02-22, 09:17 AM
rapattack

You have to buy the second one. Sorry, I can not explain it better. You buy the second one like the one I linked too for your diameter seatpost. Then you modify it by filing off the lip. Then you install it. Then your seatpost won't slip anymore.
oh ok i cant see where to place it. the first one is the right size. hmmmm i dont know what to do. i guess it will have to be a mystery. sorry i just dont get it. maybe my photo is misleading because of all the things i have on the seatpost. maybe thats the reason
Old 12-02-22, 10:15 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
maybe my photo is misleading because of all the things i have on the seatpost. maybe thats the reason
Bingo! It's hard to figure out what's what in that photo. Could you strip off the stuff that is irrelevant and take additional pictures?

Oh, I took another look. It appears that you added all of that junk to serve as spacers between the top of the seat tube and the bottom of that trailer hitch you have clamped onto the post. My bet is that you have a crack in your post clamp. It's small enough so it is not apparent when released, yet opens up slightly when clamped so that it's less than functional. A new clamp will probably do the trick. Also, we routinely grease seatposts before installation so that they don't corrode and stick in the tube. This grease does not affect positive clamping if the clamp is good.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 12-03-22, 05:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I had a seatpost (painted black) that was slightly undersize, kept sliding down. Got tired of that, so I cleaned off the grease and masked off the part of the post above where the post went into the frame. Then sprayed a few thick layers of black spray paint onto the post. Let the paint dry and harden sitting outside for about a week where it was in the sun during the day. Then put it in the bike. The extra thickness of about three layers of spray paint was enough to make it slightly bigger and quite slipping.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 12-03-22, 07:46 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

oh ok i cant see where to place it. the first one is the right size. hmmmm i dont know what to do. i guess it will have to be a mystery. sorry i just dont get it. maybe my photo is misleading because of all the things i have on the seatpost. maybe thats the reason
By way of explanation, here is the
, I was referring to.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 12-03-22, 11:38 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
All anyone is saying is add another quick release to the seatpost stem, so the seatpost can't slide further down onto the frame. You'll have 2 quick release clamps (1 on the bike, and ANOTHER on the seatpost stem itself), and it should solve the problem.
Old 12-04-22, 08:36 AM
rapattack

this is it without all the stuff

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Bingo! It's hard to figure out what's what in that photo. Could you strip off the stuff that is irrelevant and take additional pictures?

Oh, I took another look. It appears that you added all of that junk to serve as spacers between the top of the seat tube and the bottom of that trailer hitch you have clamped onto the post. My bet is that you have a crack in your post clamp. It's small enough so it is not apparent when released, yet opens up slightly when clamped so that it's less than functional. A new clamp will probably do the trick. Also, we routinely grease seatposts before installation so that they don't corrode and stick in the tube. This grease does not affect positive clamping if the clamp is good.
Old 12-04-22, 08:38 AM
rapattack

yes it does open up slightly when clamped. will have to take a closer look with my glasses on. ok good to know about the grease. ok will measure so i can get a new clamp
Old 12-04-22, 09:09 AM
rapattack

By way of explanation, here is the video, I was referring to.
oh thanks that explained it well. ok will measure and order
Old 12-04-22, 09:11 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I had a seatpost (painted black) that was slightly undersize, kept sliding down. Got tired of that, so I cleaned off the grease and masked off the part of the post above where the post went into the frame. Then sprayed a few thick layers of black spray paint onto the post. Let the paint dry and harden sitting outside for about a week where it was in the sun during the day. Then put it in the bike. The extra thickness of about three layers of spray paint was enough to make it slightly bigger and quite slipping.
oh thanks i cycle everyday so wont be able to plus cant leave anything out due to high theft area. the other person gave a good solution i understand now
Old 12-04-22, 09:25 AM
rapattack

So seems if i get the 31.8mm one it will do the job? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...apt=4itemAdapt
Old 12-04-22, 09:32 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

So seems if i get the 31.8mm one it will do the job? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...apt=4itemAdapt
Measure it. Only you or a bike shop can do that. I would not source from Aliexpress as it will take a month to get it. Amazon or your bike shop would be faster.
Old 12-04-22, 09:35 AM
rapattack

Measure it. Only you or a bike shop can do that. I would not source from Aliexpress as it will take a month to get it. Amazon or your bike shop would be faster.
oh sorry forgot to mention the measurement. 27.4mm. so seems right. yeah i have had things take anything up to 6 months from them but mostly under 3 months . lately tho(i think they now have a warehouse in australia or some of the sellers are here) i have been getting things within 2 weeks. local bike stores are so over priced and often dont have anything to sell except a very limited amount of seats, bells....well just super limited. i have never been able to source anything from them that i have asked for in over 10 years
Old 12-04-22, 09:40 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

oh sorry forgot to mention the measurement. 27.4mm. so seems right. yeah i have had things take anything up to 6 months from them but mostly under 3 months . lately tho(i think they now have a warehouse in australia or some of the sellers are here) i have been getting things within 2 weeks. local bike stores are so over priced and often dont have anything to sell except a very limited amount of seats, bells....well just super limited. i have never been able to source anything from them that i have asked for in over 10 years
27.2 mm is a standard one. So it's probably that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.