Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Time Bicycles to make CF frames in USA

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-27-23, 06:41 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 129 Posts

According to Bicycle Retailer And Industry News, Time will make carbon fiber frames in South Carolina.

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (BRAIN) — Time Bicycles will establish the nation's largest carbon fiber bicycle factory after acquiring a 140,000-square-foot building in Landrum. "This is a huge moment for the cycling industry," Time CEO Tony Karklins told BRAIN on Thursday morning. "This is what everybody needs to be doing right now. This is what people have been doing for the last three years in Europe. It makes complete sense to do it. And the moment's now. It's not getting easier to do business far away."

Carbon fiber bike detractors, please ignore. Thanks.
Old 03-27-23, 09:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...h#.ZCGp9XbMKUk

Itll be interesting to see a few things...

- will bikes with these frames say 'Made in USA' or will it show elsewhere?
- where will finishing take place between end of '23 and end of '24 since it wont be in the US? The article says painting will be added, but thats a plan vs reality as of now.
- why will frames made in Slovakia be finished in the US facility instead of finished locally?
- will frames made in Slovakia and finished in the US facility say 'Made in USA'?
- how exactly will the partnership with Clemson play out? Will it be with new materials not already used?
- where is Time production moving from? The European facility will stay open per the article, so what closes?...I thought Time has always been manufactured in Europe, so no Asia.
- will this help get Time back onto the Pro Tour?
- will Time still be located in Little Rock AR, or is this factory a sign that Time will move east and HQ will be in SC?
Old 03-27-23, 09:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I'm sure the bikes will be labeled in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission rules. (Understand there are ways to do this and still deceive/fool the customer.)

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidanc...ng/made-in-usa
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-28-23, 01:59 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 898 Times in 586 Posts
Backin the old days,Time made everything in France kinda Look did.
Old 03-28-23, 02:15 PM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
Nice video on frame building from that article:

NorthEast Bikepath Rides

Likes For FrozenBiker:
Old 03-28-23, 02:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 3,707 Posts
I don't care where they're made. Time has a long history of making outstanding bikes, and I fully expect that to continue, regardless of factory location. I wish I could afford one of their new ones.
Old 03-28-23, 02:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...h#.ZCGp9XbMKUk

Itll be interesting to see a few things...

- will bikes with these frames say 'Made in USA' or will it show elsewhere?
- where will finishing take place between end of '23 and end of '24 since it wont be in the US? The article says painting will be added, but thats a plan vs reality as of now.
- why will frames made in Slovakia be finished in the US facility instead of finished locally?
- will frames made in Slovakia and finished in the US facility say 'Made in USA'?
- how exactly will the partnership with Clemson play out? Will it be with new materials not already used?
- where is Time production moving from? The European facility will stay open per the article, so what closes?...I thought Time has always been manufactured in Europe, so no Asia.
- will this help get Time back onto the Pro Tour?
- will Time still be located in Little Rock AR, or is this factory a sign that Time will move east and HQ will be in SC?
Only Time will tell.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-30-23, 04:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Good on S Carolina and Time for doing it in USA.

also being done (not sure of the size) in Arkansas.
and in 'small' quantities elsewhere.
Mine a N. Santa Cruz Calfee.
Heard Parlee is folded.
Old 03-31-23, 04:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenBiker
Nice video on frame building from that article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bQQqJ3r20E
Their "braided" carbon manufacture is certainly fascinating, but I'm not sure how relevant/cost-effective it still is today. It will be interesting to see if they continue with this method or switch to say pre-preg sheets.
Old 03-31-23, 05:20 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Pretty sure the quality won't be any better than if made in Taiwan or anywhere else.
Old 03-31-23, 05:43 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Pretty sure the quality won't be any better than if made in Taiwan or anywhere else.
What is interesting is that Clemson and South Carolina have been investing a lot in composite engineering and are doing some really neat things in the automotive space. If they are open to new ideas this could really pay off for Time.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 03-31-23, 03:03 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 334 Posts
Why?
Old 03-31-23, 04:06 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 898 Times in 586 Posts
Disagreed when Cannondale was made in the USA it showed a much better craftsmanship regarding the welds and qualitywise like on the CAAD OPTIMO 7-8 unlike the CAAD 10 which didn't have the made in the USA label. Also a Cannondale made in China isn't better than one which was made in the USA cheaper labor means cheaper quality of crafstmanship.Taiwan is known for its savoir faire regarding bike manufacturing with Giant, Merida and Specialized. I have two Taiwainese bikes one Merida and one Giant which are both30 years old approximately and who are reliable and bulletproof.
Old 03-31-23, 04:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,826 Times in 3,707 Posts
My experience with Time bicycles showed me that there's more to their bikes than just the materials. My 20yo Time is still the best-handling bike I've ever ridden. Maybe it's a geometry thing. Maybe there's something in the way they use the CF material. Talking with other Time riders with bikes newer than mine - and with enough experience to recognize subtle differences between high-end bikes - it's a pretty common feeling. My newer Storck is lighter, and is my #1 road bike right now, but its handling is a bit twitchy and nervous compared to my Time, which is quick, but very predictable and sure-footed when leaned over at speed.
Old 03-31-23, 08:11 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Why?
It's kind of romantic that Time has their own loom and produces their own carbon fiber cloth. But keep in mind that they are going up against Toray, an industrial giant that has been pushing carbon fiber technology for decades. It looks like Time is still using wet resin. I believe the rest of the industry has moved onto dry prepreg sheets. It's one thing to cheer for the underdog, but the overdog is overdog for a reason.
Old 04-01-23, 09:17 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
- Top quality frames made using the (supposedly) superior RTM process and (apparently) tight tolerances.
- No-nonsense engineering: well-made BB386 (my favorite press-fit standard), simple seatpost clamps, reliable Quickset headset, good seatpost clamping mechanism etc.
- Great aesthetics. For example, to me the green ADHX is one of the best looking frames on the market.
- Relatively uncommon Euro brand that few in your group will have
- Surprisingly reasonable prices. Their top of the line road frameset (Alpe D'Huez Disc) costs about what a mid-tier Tarmac costs.

Now being made in the US? I think I found my next bike.
Likes For Hiro11: