Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the fastest you've gone on your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the fastest you've gone on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-23, 03:19 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
my point is if you get used to going fast and I mean really fast on a motorcycle (I made a living riding for over 10 years) a bicycle will feel a lot more casual when you are going 40-50mph and 35 mph will feel pretty mundane. .
Originally Posted by john m flores
Motojournalist here. My most recent top speed run was at the Suzuki Hayabusa intro at the Utah Motorsports Complex. I only hit 150mph on the front straight because I then had to brake hard, downshift to third, and then turn left.

Yeah, 35mph is pretty mundane, but 40mph+ is context dependent. Out west without traffic and wide open sightlines? No problem. But back east bombing down a narrow, tree-lined two-laner with tar snakes and potholes and driveways and unseen creatures in the forest? I'm on high alert because my stopping distance is much longer than on a motorcycle thanks to the miniscule contact patches. And my wool jersey isn't abrasion resistant, my helmet doesn't protect my chin (the most common injury location on the head), and I'm not wearing my leather gauntlet gloves, ankle-protecting boots, or airbag vest.
Yeah, being in an Aerostitch with a full-face Arai feels a lot more secure than just bib shorts, a pair of shades and some sunscreen, even at 2-3x the speed. (Depends on the bike, too; my DL650 was bucking the wind at 95, but I accidentally hit 157 on a Buell 1125R, and it was scary how collected that bike was, going that fast)

Fastest I've recorded on the velo was 47mph, on a long, steep descent somewhere outside Mount Airy, NC.
I had another incident a day later on that ride, where I bunny-hopped a nasty looking bridge joint near the bottom of another similarly long, fast descent (IIRC speed was about 30-32 mph) That move seemed like it caught several seconds of hang time; enough for me to reconsider the wisdom of launching a 40-year-old road bike like that, and to figure out the best way of returning it to the pavement on 32mm tires, such that those tires would remain the only thing coming into contact with the pavement.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-15-23, 06:18 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
I don't attempt these speeds anymore but I used to routinely hit >50 mph speeds on steep river bluff drops. One hill greater than 20% always yields >50 mph.

A pic of the last time that I "worked" the drop on March 1, 2018:

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-15-23, 08:31 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That's where I hit 75.7 as described in my earlier post...Coming down off the last dam on the way toward LaPorte.
You must weigh a lot more than I do (132-138) or had a gale force tail wind. That slope is only 10-12%.
Old 03-15-23, 08:53 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,887 Times in 844 Posts
gets pretty close to the edges at times and the bunny hop at 40mph lol. how about the rider who was behind and filming...

Old 03-15-23, 11:27 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
The speed demons around here are impressive, but I'm not sure they're helpful to VegasJen (aka OP). Let me offer a few ways to approach the speed fear:

First, don't push yourself. Remember you're riding to have fun.

Second, make sure your bike is in good condition. Tires and brakes have enough rubber, derailers are adjusted, chain's lubed, there's nothing likely to go wrong that will interrupt the fun downhill you're going to ride.

Third, as you approach a hill, relax. Start worrying about what might happen and it'll kill the joy. Instead, go into a downhill with an attitude like, "I earned some fun by climbing that sucker to the top, now it's time to pin my ears back, grin real big, and fly down!"

Fourth, ride appropriately for the conditions. Smooth, straight road, light wind? Let 'er rip. Bumpy pavement and gusting crosswinds? Ease up. Remember #1.

Fifth, take your time (weeks or months). If you're comfortable at 30 mph, ride enough at that speed that you feel like you can try 33, or 35, or 39, and be comfortable at 30 if you need to back off. When you start feeling comfortable with a little more speed, make that your default "slow down to 35 and I'll feel safe" speed.

Finally, take some comfort that you won't automatically die if you exceed some arbitrary speed limit. Go back and read this thread as a series of testimonials -- like all us braggarts, you can learn to ride faster than your current comfort limit and then you get to brag, too. And remember, we're bragging because it was fun!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-15-23, 11:53 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Old 03-15-23, 12:30 PM
Bubbabiike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, you do get used to it. Once you gain confidence nothing will happen. I hit 35-36 mph regularly on downhill sections of a ride. Now, hitting 50, which I have, was scary!
Old 03-15-23, 01:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You must weigh a lot more than I do (132-138) or had a gale force tail wind. That slope is only 10-12%.
Some people are just fast. My old coach weighs 20 kg less than me, but is faster on downhills.
Old 03-15-23, 05:07 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
gets pretty close to the edges at times and the bunny hop at 40mph lol. how about the rider who was behind and filming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99wJn5QBvyg
You see him getting off into the dirt a little on those edges. You really don't want to do that at that speed. Gives you perspective of what 50 is like. Disc brakes makes it much more manageable. One way road is a plus. Not my video but a nice run.
Old 03-15-23, 06:51 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 287 Posts
I've never had a way to monitor my speeds on a bike.
I can say a friend and I got stopped by an LEO for speeding in a 35 mph zone, downhill on skateboards
He said he clocked over 35 on his speedo behind us. He didn't write us a ticket. Just a long lecture about road safety and the dangers of going so fast with no safety equipment.
Old 03-15-23, 07:07 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I can say a friend and I got stopped by an LEO for speeding in a 35 mph zone, downhill on skateboards
He said he clocked over 35 on his speedo behind us. He didn't write us a ticket. Just a long lecture about road safety and the dangers of going so fast with no safety equipment.
several years ago there was a kid locally on a longboard who killed himself apparently did not make the corner and hit a tree. Which reminds me there was some guy go over the edge on going to the sun road and kill himself during a full moon ride. He passed my buddy going no handed way too fast.
Old 03-15-23, 07:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
We’ve had Strava for nearly 15 years and Garmin GPS cyclometers for almost 16, but I guess proof has never been prerequisite to a good story so why start now?

But, because I live by the credo “put up or shut up,” I’ve got 60.4mph: https://strava.app.link/wO5TyfmBcyb
Old 03-15-23, 07:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
We’ve had Strava for nearly 15 years and Garmin GPS cyclometers for almost 16, but I guess proof has never been prerequisite to a good story so why start now?

But, because I live by the credo “put up or shut up,” I’ve got 60.4mph: https://strava.app.link/wO5TyfmBcyb
Hopefully you realize that some of us have been riding longer than 16 years...?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-15-23, 07:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts

That file shows you going from 32 mph to 56.6 mph in one second, while veering off the road at the same time. That's about 1 g acceleration, so probably a glitch ...
Old 03-15-23, 08:43 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Koyote
Hopefully you realize that some of us have been riding longer than 16 years...?
heck i have no idea what strava even is.
Old 03-15-23, 09:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That file shows you going from 32 mph to 56.6 mph in one second, while veering off the road at the same time. That's about 1 g acceleration, so probably a glitch ...
Yup. Shows him hitting 60 mph just as he crashes into the trees. That's either a glitch, or it explains why he's in a wheelchair.
Old 03-15-23, 09:21 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The speed demons around here are impressive, but I'm not sure they're helpful to VegasJen (aka OP). Let me offer a few ways to approach the speed fear:

First, don't push yourself. Remember you're riding to have fun.

Second, make sure your bike is in good condition. Tires and brakes have enough rubber, derailers are adjusted, chain's lubed, there's nothing likely to go wrong that will interrupt the fun downhill you're going to ride.

Third, as you approach a hill, relax. Start worrying about what might happen and it'll kill the joy. Instead, go into a downhill with an attitude like, "I earned some fun by climbing that sucker to the top, now it's time to pin my ears back, grin real big, and fly down!"

Fourth, ride appropriately for the conditions. Smooth, straight road, light wind? Let 'er rip. Bumpy pavement and gusting crosswinds? Ease up. Remember #1.

Fifth, take your time (weeks or months). If you're comfortable at 30 mph, ride enough at that speed that you feel like you can try 33, or 35, or 39, and be comfortable at 30 if you need to back off. When you start feeling comfortable with a little more speed, make that your default "slow down to 35 and I'll feel safe" speed.

Finally, take some comfort that you won't automatically die if you exceed some arbitrary speed limit. Go back and read this thread as a series of testimonials -- like all us braggarts, you can learn to ride faster than your current comfort limit and then you get to brag, too. And remember, we're bragging because it was fun!
I'll add grip the top tube with your knees. That extra point of stability makes AlLL the difference in the world, really locks you together with the bike.
Old 03-15-23, 10:13 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I've wondered about this. How would LEOs write a ticket anyway? At least for me, I carry a basic ID when I ride, but it's no official government issued ID. What are they going to write a ticket on?
Old 03-15-23, 10:25 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I've wondered about this. How would LEOs write a ticket anyway? At least for me, I carry a basic ID when I ride, but it's no official government issued ID. What are they going to write a ticket on?
i’ve gotten tickets on a bike, and don’t generally carry any ID at all on a ride. they asked for my name, license number, address etc and looked me up. i don’t believe you have the right to not share your identity when there’s reasonable suspicion of a crime (like a radar gun, visual observation of running a stop sign etc.)
Likes For mschwett:
Old 03-15-23, 10:35 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i’ve gotten tickets on a bike, and don’t generally carry any ID at all on a ride. they asked for my name, license number, address etc and looked me up. i don’t believe you have the right to not share your identity when there’s reasonable suspicion of a crime (like a radar gun, visual observation of running a stop sign etc.)
Interesting. Have you ever challenged one? What if you don't have a license? I do, but so far as I know, there's no place that requires you to have (or carry) a license to ride a bike. Not saying having a license is a requirement for a citation, just wondering about it. Do they actually write down your bike info? Seems kind of crazy to me, but whatever.
Old 03-15-23, 10:57 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Interesting. Have you ever challenged one? What if you don't have a license? I do, but so far as I know, there's no place that requires you to have (or carry) a license to ride a bike. Not saying having a license is a requirement for a citation, just wondering about it. Do they actually write down your bike info? Seems kind of crazy to me, but whatever.
no, no license required and no points or any impact to it. the officer just wanted it as a way of confirming identity and address. didn’t write down any bike info, just “on bicycle” where it should have had other info. it was a standard yellow moving violation, but he took pains to note that it had nothing to do with my driving record. the fine payment thing came in the mail and looked just like one for a citation issued to a driver, same payment instructions, opportunity to go to bike safety class instead, etc. didn’t challenge it because I had in fact rolled through the stop sign. ironic since the legislature had just passed an Idaho stop law… but the governor vetoed it. LOL.

i also once got a citation (an infraction I think) decades ago for urinating on a tree in a park in the middle of the night. it too looked just like a moving violation. I had my license with me that time.
Old 03-15-23, 11:39 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 824 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Acme makes bicycles now?

On yesterday's ride, I saw where a vehicle had made a hole in a wall at the end of a dead-end street. When I glanced at it, I thought that someone with some masonry tools and skills could reshape the that hole into the rough outline of a bipedal coyote.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 03-15-23 at 11:43 PM.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-15-23, 11:53 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 641 Posts
In 1998, reached 50mph with my Peugeot race bike on a long flat road during a road bike race and later in 2013 in a long descent with my Kona MTB reached 45mph. After a serious knee injury back in 1999 and a break of biking during some time on the road, I went as an alternative to road bike riding into MTB riding . Being not 20 years old and not 30 years old anymore,25-30mph seems my average speed. Also car drivers being not always carefully driving on the roads, have made me enjoy MTB riding much more, but the feel on riding fast a nice roadbike going is calling me back again to ride on my roadbike. Being alert and vigilant,being the most important things when I ride. One of my friends was badly injured many years ago because of a hit and run driver who overstepped on the bike lane,he was riding at 35mph. When using my townbike for running errands in town,18mph is my speed.
Old 03-15-23, 11:55 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
have had a few bikes that experienced speed wobbles on a bangin' downhill, a few that didn't and a few that i just don't wanna know.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-16-23, 04:16 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Or a lot more aerodynamic.

My terminal velocity on 12% grade tucked on my upright is around 62 mph but over 80 mph on my recumbent. He might have been in a velomobile, in which case that speed is not so unachievable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.