Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can Garmin Edge explore reverse a "Course"?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Can Garmin Edge explore reverse a "Course"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 07:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by DCwom
I have yet to find an option for "Back to start", perhaps the unit has to be in an active tracking mode during a ride for that option, (I'm at my desk now...).
Yes. the option only shows up when recording a ride.

It's a feature to "get me back home" while on a ride.

Originally Posted by DCwom
Really what I learned from this is when I plan an out & back in the future, I'll make two routes on RWGPS.
This is the better approach anyway.

Reversing a course automatically doesn't always produce the result you might expect.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 08:49 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Yes. the option only shows up when recording a ride.

It's a feature to "get me back home" while on a ride.

This is the better approach anyway.

Reversing a course automatically doesn't always produce the result you might expect.
It should be noted that RWGPS and Garmin Connect will allow any pre-planned route/course to be an Out and Back and will create the ride to do that. Thus no real need for 2 different Routes/Courses.
Old 07-18-19, 10:13 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
It should be noted that RWGPS and Garmin Connect will allow any pre-planned route/course to be an Out and Back and will create the ride to do that. Thus no real need for 2 different Routes/Courses.
The Garmins can be confused by out-and-back routes.

The issue is that they can lose where they are on the track and can pick the wrong leg.

This was certainly an issue on the 800 (it didn't always happen, though).

It also makes it more reliable if you need to start the course in the middle.

If you are starting an out-and-back in the middle, move a bit in the right direction so the device can get the correct heading.

Another good idea is to place the end-point short of the start-point. That is, you want the start-point to be closer than the end-point to where you actually start the course.

Otherwise, the Garmin can pick the end-point and think you've ended the ride.
Old 07-18-19, 11:38 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
This changed for me with a recent Strava update, maybe 10 days ago. My Edge Explore activities uploaded to Strava are now elevation corrected by default.
Thank you. I did a ride today but used my new 830 rather than my Explore. I'll try the Explore this weekend.
Old 07-22-19, 12:15 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
This changed for me with a recent Strava update, maybe 10 days ago. My Edge Explore activities uploaded to Strava are now elevation corrected by default.
Thanks again, it worked perfectly!
Likes For tunavic:
Old 07-27-19, 09:34 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The Garmins can be confused by out-and-back routes.
Not so much as confused as totally useless.

I tried this feature on an out and back, a Course I was following as generated by Garmin Connect. At the turn-around I stopped the course I had been following and then started the “Back to Start - Along Same Route” option. The device almost immediately had me taking roads I had not ridden on the out portion and even as I stayed on the route I had ridden, the device was calling for a U turn. I was not able to get it to re-calculate to the return leg.

And as well, navigation on my 1000 is seemingly in sleepy mode. I haven’t navigated with this unit in a while, but tried a new route out on the eastern part of Long Island on Friday, a Course I created on Garmin Connect. The device seemed to be stuck after every turn it indicated, would take upwards of 45 seconds before realizing I had completed the turn onto the new road as planned before the device would catch up with my current location. This was an issue with a few turns that were within a 1/4 mile of each other and the device was unable to call the turns.

I then deleted all the saved courses I had on the device, figuring a bit of clean out of the memory might help. It didn’t, had the same issue today on the out-and-back. Complete lag of 40-50 seconds after a completed turn and a lot of missed turns as a result. So the Nav functions seems to be screwed.

I will try a factory reset, the unit is about 3 years old. Sucks.
Old 07-27-19, 10:41 AM
njkayaker

Not so much as confused as totally useless.
I tried this feature on an out and back, a Course I was following as generated by Garmin Connect. At the turn-around I stopped the course I had been following and then started the “Back to Start - Along Same Route” option. The device almost immediately had me taking roads I had not ridden on the out portion and even as I stayed on the route I had ridden, the device was calling for a U turn. I was not able to get it to re-calculate to the return leg.
This is talking about something else (not about out-and-back courses).

(It's possible that what it did is explainable but that's hard to do without seeing the track.)

I then deleted all the saved courses I had on the device, figuring a bit of clean out of the memory might help. It didn’t, had the same issue today on the out-and-back. Complete lag of 40-50 seconds after a completed turn and a lot of missed turns as a result. So the Nav functions seems to be screwed.
One should have expected this not to do anything. The course are just files on a disk. It's just using one course file at a time.

(While things might get slower if there is not much free space left on the device, it would be slower because it was course files taking up the space.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-27-19 at 10:48 AM.