Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Correct chain length not possible?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 04:50 AM
bikethis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Hello there, hopefully someone can help me out. I recently converted my hardtail MTB into a singlespeed. I'm using a 42T chainring with a 14T rear sprocket. The frame has vertical dropouts so I am using a Surly Singleator chain tensioner to tension my chain, all though it's not really working.

Basically, if I am to take a link out of my chain right now, it's too short and won't reconnect so that's not an option.

I also can't tension the chain by pushing the tensioner upwards anymore as it's hitting the frame, meaning the chain is on and does work but it's incredibly loose and keeps falling off the rear sprocket after a while. (the cable ties are there because the Singleator is actually not so good of a product and kept losing tension after I would bunny hop).

Lastly, pulling the chain down instead of pushing it up results in an undesirbale chain skip if I crank the pedals too hard, so I'd definitely prefer to push up.

So I am a bit stuck now, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm even considering just buying a horizontal dropout hardtail frame but am struggling to find any that are cheap.

I have a DMR tensioner on the way which doesn't utilise a spring so hopefully the results may be a little bit better.
Old 08-01-22, 04:50 AM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Old 08-01-22, 08:27 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Looks like you should be able to remove a couple links. Just loosen the tensioner, reattach chain and re-tension
Old 08-01-22, 09:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
If you are running an 1//8" chain you can get a half link to dial in length to the nearest 1/2". (Easy to find. Any bike shop that does much with fix gears or Ace Hardware probably has one. (I bought an industrial one from Ace? True Value? 10 years ago. Completely compatible with 1/8" chain. A little bulkier so look to make sure the hardware doesn't contact anything. Haven't looked but online should be even easier.)

The half link is a hybrid, outer link at one and, then plates that bend in to the inner link and roller. Around $5. Neat things to have on hand. there are also chains made up entirely of half links. KMC makes one and I believe Izumi does also. Never used one. I think they cost appreciably more but you could buy one and have half links for this and your next few lifetimes.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-01-22, 03:08 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Go a tooth or 2 bigger on the rear gear. It looks like there is enough slack to remove a link though....
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 08-01-22, 07:53 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Looks like you have the chain routing wrong. It should go on the underside of the tensioner not over the top. Then adjust the tensioner so it takes up the slack.
Old 08-01-22, 08:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
Looks like you have the chain routing wrong. It should go on the underside of the tensioner not over the top. Then adjust the tensioner so it takes up the slack.
There are two ways to run tensioners. Like an old single pulley derailleur or like one's finger pushing into a too slack fix gear chain. The derailleur one is the better known and all I knew about until I saw this yesterday but if you google Surly tensioner you will see examples of what the OP is attempting,

The OP's approach gives far more wrap and so will be much more secure against the chain slipping and a knee hitting the HB hard. Also it becomes easy to supplement the spring with a stronger elastic. (At the expense of a slower wheel change.)
Old 08-02-22, 06:20 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
The Singulator work better in the push up mode. I added another spring to mine to keep it from skipping off road, the same issue the op cured with zip ties. I didn't use zip ties because mine is on a dingle speed and gets switched between gears regularly.
Old 08-02-22, 06:23 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Huh, I had no idea.
Old 08-02-22, 06:44 PM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Update:

Issue fixed by switching to the DMR tensioner. I believe the problem actually pertains to Surly, or more specifically, spring loaded tensioners in general. They simply lose their tension after hitting a bump or jumping something; in my experience at least.

I tried pulling the Surly down long before I cable tied it to the chainstay and it created an undesirable chain skip if I were to crank the pedals too hard.

Edit: and yes... I tensioned the spring with an 18mm cone wrench as instructed by the Singleators manual.

Regardless, problem solved.

Last edited by bikethis; 08-02-22 at 06:48 PM.
Likes For bikethis: