Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Desperate weekend demounting freewheel inner body

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 02:52 AM
ljr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Tried my ass off to demount this ESJOT 6 speed freewheel inner-body from a Gipiemme Azzurro hub. eventually, broke the freewheel body, yet IT STILL WON'T COME OFF!!!!!!!!

Firstly tried to demount the whole freewheel, it didn't work. Then managed to demount the cogs and the outer body. I SHOULD HAVE stopped there but I was so determined to demount everything and give them a thorough bath.......I believe anti-clockwise is the correct direction to demount the damn thing. What would you do??? I don't want to change the rear hub. It causes so many troubles.

Pic in the gallery. BTW, does anybody happen to have a spare inner body that suits my ESJOT 6 speed?
Old 08-22-22, 03:25 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
pic assist (there are four pics, only one of the fw, and none of the described state):

To help, we need to know more of what you did - what freewheel tool, how you mounted the tool and wheel, how you exerted force...
Old 08-22-22, 05:23 AM
ljr

The other pictures are the naked inner-body that is still attached to the rear hub, cogs have been removed from it.
I added the freewheel adapter which I used, it's the 2 notches adapter fit for this type of freewheel.
Old 08-22-22, 06:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/aluminu...ht-pipe-wrench
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-22-22, 06:51 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts

In all the freewheels that I've serviced, I've never had this brand in my hands or seen one posted on BF. So finding a replacement body might prove exceedingly difficult.

Assuming you only used the removal tool for your attempts at removal, let me now suggest:
1) Mount a tire and inflate to about 15 psi. This will protect the rim and help you secure the wheel.
2) Apply liberal amounts of penetrating oil, i.e. WD40, Liquid Wrench, etc., to the hub threads and let soak (at least 24 hours).
3) Using a propane blow torch, heat the freewheel body (keep direct heat away from the hub) until the oil is bubbling from the thread junction.
4) Use a large pipe wrench or very large vise grip pliers to grab the body at the pawl and spring cutouts (while body is hot).
5) With the freewheel body on your right, the pipe wrench handle pointing at 9:00 o'clock, place your weight on the top of the wheel and wedge between you and the floor.
6) Push down on the pipe wrench while keeping the wheel from spinning.
7) Repeat as needed.

Let us know about your outcome. Best of luck!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 08-22-22, 08:27 AM
ljr

Much appreciated, Bob.
I am thinking of heating the body as well, just wasn't sure if it's safe. Now I know it is worth a try.

Need to find a workshop that has big tools to help me do this
Likes For ljr:
Old 08-22-22, 08:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Any chance you can find a band clanp/oil filter wrench smaller enough to work? That's an option. A dremel to cut a crack in the body is also an option.
Old 08-22-22, 08:36 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by ljr
Much appreciated, Bob.
I am thinking of heating the body as well, just wasn't sure if it's safe. Now I know it is worth a try.

or a neighbor with a pipe wrench
Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-22-22, 08:44 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
or a neighbor with a pipe wrench
Or a Brother

Old 08-22-22, 08:58 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by seypat
Any chance you can find a band clanp/oil filter wrench smaller enough to work? That's an option.
These are generally not robust enough or long enough handle to get the required torque
Old 08-22-22, 08:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by ljr
Think plumber or pipe fitter. Or drag your wheel into Home Depot and use one off the shelf quick
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-22-22, 09:03 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Heckle and Jeckle, lol, hey how about those brothers that did cartalk. Dang I miss listening to that show.
Old 08-22-22, 09:38 AM
Peroni

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
I've had two or more make me nervous, and I don't have the strength of youth anymore. A two foot breaker bar helped, I haven't bought the $50 Park bar, yet.
A bathmat helped grip the tire to the floor, and something like cement bags help grip and keep from rolling.
And I let the wheel bake in the sun once, maybe it helped. I've not broken notches like this yet, but the freewheel probably wasn't that tight, and I managed to keep the remover steady on the notches.

Last edited by Peroni; 08-22-22 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-22-22, 09:50 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
In all the freewheels that I've serviced, I've never had this brand in my hands or seen one posted on BF. So finding a replacement body might prove exceedingly difficult.

Assuming you only used the removal tool for your attempts at removal, let me now suggest:
1) ...
Simpler, safer, and likely quicker to just cut the body with a dremel-type tool.
Cut twice, at something like 90 degrees; when the cutting disk gets close to the hub body you stop and break that chunk out with a wedge or lever or something.
If you're lucky the body will now be loose enough to spin; otherwise cut another chunk out to take you past 180 degrees.

Wear eye protection and get extra disks, you'll likely break several.
Old 08-22-22, 09:52 AM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Clamp the flat inner portion of the FW in a fixed bench vise and then apply counter-clockwise force at two opposite sides of the rim (like a big bus steering wheel). The coupled force (at the rim) that can be applied is stronger and easier to keep centered than using a wrench at the hub while holding the rim. Even with a properly fitting FW removal tool, I do most of my FW removal with a bench vice rather than a wrench, it just works better.
Likes For GrayJay:
Old 08-22-22, 10:13 AM
Peroni

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayJay
Clamp the flat inner portion of the FW in a fixed bench vise and then apply counter-clockwise force at two opposite sides of the rim (like a big bus steering wheel). The coupled force (at the rim) that can be applied is stronger and easier to keep centered than using a wrench at the hub while holding the rim. Even with a properly fitting FW removal tool, I do most of my FW removal with a bench vice rather than a wrench, it just works better.
I've got a freewheel to remove with the thin walled Atom type remover, I'll remember to use this method, if it's very tight at all.
Old 08-22-22, 10:36 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Any chance you can find a band clanp/oil filter wrench smaller enough to work? That's an option. A dremel to cut a crack in the body is also an option.
band clamp/filter wrench won't work as considering how badly seized on this FW body is to the hub, the OP will need full mechanical engagement on to the FW body to have any chance of breaking it loose. = break out the adjustable or pipe wrench or bench vise!
Old 08-22-22, 11:45 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by GrayJay
...that's how I do a destructive freewheel removal. Even then, it doesn't work 100% of the time. The other solution is an impact wrench, which sometimes works because all the repeat impacts loosen the freewheel body/ hub threading interface. But it's something you want to be careful with. start with a relatively loose clutch, and then increase the torque when you're sure the wheel is under your control.
Old 08-22-22, 01:09 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by oneclick
Simpler, safer, and likely quicker to just cut the body with a dremel-type tool.
Cut twice, at something like 90 degrees; when the cutting disk gets close to the hub body you stop and break that chunk out with a wedge or lever or something.
If you're lucky the body will now be loose enough to spin; otherwise cut another chunk out to take you past 180 degrees.

Wear eye protection and get extra disks, you'll likely break several.
"Simpler, safer, and likely quicker...." That's debatable (with the exception of the overnight penetrating oil soak).

I'd personally worry about cutting into the threads on the hub using your method. YMMV.

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 08-23-22 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 08-22-22, 02:44 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

I wonder if the hub and freewheel threads were incompatible? If that were the case, it may be a total loss.
Old 08-22-22, 09:52 PM
ljr

does a 18 inch pipe wrench long enough? am thinking about buy one of these
Likes For ljr:
Old 08-22-22, 10:06 PM
ljr

that will be my last chance if a pipe wrench didnot help...lol
now am soaking it with WD40, spray a few times a day till I get my hands on a pipe wrench
Likes For ljr:
Old 08-22-22, 10:13 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by ljr
does a 18 inch pipe wrench long enough? am thinking about buy one of these
The Park freewheel wrench is about 15" long so a 18" pipe wrench should do it
Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-23-22, 07:31 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by ljr
that will be my last chance if a pipe wrench didnot help...lol
now am soaking it with WD40, spray a few times a day till I get my hands on a pipe wrench
IIRC, my pipe wrench is a 12-inch model, and the soak in WD40 and heat with a blow torch has never failed.

I predict you will be successful. I can probably assist with an appropriate replacement freewheel. What was the gearing of the original and what derailleurs are you running?

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 08-25-22, 08:54 PM
ljr

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
IIRC, my pipe wrench is a 12-inch model, and the soak in WD40 and heat with a blow torch has never failed.

I predict you will be successful. I can probably assist with an appropriate replacement freewheel. What was the gearing of the original and what derailleurs are you running?
Great news! After soaking in WD40 for a week, a 18'' pipe wrench finally did the job! Thank you Bob and everyone in here giving me ideas! Appreciated for your help!
already bought a replacement 5speed nearby, thanks Bob... waiting for international shipping is gonna be as painful as demount my fw ...yeah am living in Asia

Cheers everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.