Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clipping in [Flame suit on]

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-22, 06:53 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Hope the op doesn’t try these. Many of us started out with these, notice the release lever on the buckle which you had to use to get your foot out of the clip heaven forbid. To those of us who did clipless are a godsend.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 10-06-22, 11:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Calling BS on this
And from a technical/traditional language perspective, you are wrong. Data is the plural of the Latin "datum."
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-06-22, 12:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
The OP has left the building, apparently.
Old 10-06-22, 01:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The OP has left the building, apparently.
She may have been Mansplained to death.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-06-22, 02:38 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
https://vimeo.com/743805669
Old 10-06-22, 02:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
She may have been Mansplained to death.
I don't recall any mansplaining...I do recall her telling us that we've been duped into using clipless pedals -- a conclusion reached after she fell a couple times while trying to learn to use them,
Old 10-06-22, 02:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't recall any mansplaining...I do recall her telling us that we've been duped into using clipless pedals -- a conclusion reached after she fell a couple times while trying to learn to use them,
There was a lot of "Well, actually...", though to be fair, she really didn't approach clipless pedals the best way...

Old 10-06-22, 03:00 PM
Koyote

There was a lot of "Well, actually...", though to be fair, she really didn't approach clipless pedals the best way...
I didn't approach them the best way, either -- fell more than a few times while learning to use clipless. But like most of us, I never blamed it on the pedals and told other cyclists they were fools for using them.
Old 10-06-22, 03:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Koyote
I didn't approach them the best way, either -- fell more than a few times while learning to use clipless. But like most of us, I never blamed it on the pedals and told other cyclists they were fools for using them.
If I'd started out with Look Keos instead of Deltas, I'd probably have crashed a lot just trying to get my damn foot clipped in.

Old 10-06-22, 03:12 PM
Koyote

If I'd started out with Look Keos instead of Deltas, I'd probably have crashed a lot just trying to get my damn foot clipped in.
Yep, I was on the Keo. Rode 'em for over a decade before trying anything else. Haven't been on them since.
Old 10-06-22, 03:18 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
What's the problem with Look Keos? 🤔
Old 10-06-22, 03:59 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Branko D
Takes more practice to clip in compared to other options. Once you learn the technique, they are fine.
Old 10-06-22, 04:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Branko D
IME they spin too easily. I unclip my right foot at stops and when I push off and push down with my left foot, with Deltas the right pedal always comes up rear-end down, so that the front of the cleat catches the loop at the front easily. Never have to look down, just *CLICK* and I'm in. Keos often spin when they come up, so that sometimes instead of the loop catching the cleat, I end up with my foot on the bottom of the pedal because it hit when the pedal was upside down.

Old 10-07-22, 08:05 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
IME they spin too easily. I unclip my right foot at stops and when I push off and push down with my left foot, with Deltas the right pedal always comes up rear-end down, so that the front of the cleat catches the loop at the front easily. Never have to look down, just *CLICK* and I'm in. Keos often spin when they come up, so that sometimes instead of the loop catching the cleat, I end up with my foot on the bottom of the pedal because it hit when the pedal was upside down.
A lot depends on which model of Keo you have. I have 2 bikes with first generation Keo carbon pedals. They are very easy to clip into. I also have a bike with Keo 2Max pedals and they hang at a slightly different angle making them trickier. A friend of mine who has owned a few more different models told me that the first generation Keo Triathlon pedals were the best he has tried, so I don't think that you can generalize about Keo pedals. The older Delta pedals might have had a few models that were also not easy to clip into
Old 10-10-22, 10:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
I had Look Deltas for a couple of decades and loved them, but bought a couple of new bikes and decided to upgrade to Keos. Not only did I find them a PITA to clip into, but out of the saddle they creak. I took them apart and re-lubed everything and still no luck. When I spend money on carbon pedals I expect them to out perform the Deltas, but it was not the case except in lightness.

I went on the web and found that creaking Keos is a big problem. I fixed the clip the problem by shimming the front of the cleat but could never get rid of the creaking when putting the power down. Am shocked that Look could put out those pedals in good conscience. I then bought two pairs of Shimano pedals, easy to clip into, no creaking and they are light weight.

Last edited by rsbob; 10-10-22 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-11-22, 06:40 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
To VegasJen, should she ever bother revisiting this thread (or BikeForums as a whole):

There's a hidden women-only subforum in BikeForums to which you can gain access by moderator approval. Some of the responses you've read here suggest why that subforum was requested and approved years ago.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-11-22, 07:44 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If a person is really looking to find the OP, they should contact Dan Tanna. He would have been the person to call if you want to find someone in Vegas. I don't think he's alive anymore, though.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-11-22, 09:02 AM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Hope the op doesn’t try these. Many of us started out with these, notice the release lever on the buckle which you had to use to get your foot out of the clip heaven forbid. To those of us who did clipless are a godsend.

Don't be hating on the rat traps. I still ride with them on my road and gravel bikes. It's just what I'm used to. They let me ride in my comfy old man running shoes and are a great conversation starter when riding with others, e.g. "God damn, how old ARE you?"

Last edited by wayold; 10-11-22 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-11-22, 11:41 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Trakhak
To VegasJen, should she ever bother revisiting this thread (or BikeForums as a whole):

There's a hidden women-only subforum in BikeForums to which you can gain access by moderator approval. Some of the responses you've read here suggest why that subforum was requested and approved years ago.
You seem to be suggesting that there was some mansplaining or perhaps outright misogyny in this thread, which I must've missed. Please cite examples.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-11-22, 12:36 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
Don't be hating on the rat traps. I still ride with them on my road and gravel bikes. It's just what I'm used to. They let me ride in my comfy old man running shoes and are a great conversation starter when riding with others, e.g. "God damn, how old ARE you?"
i used them from 1974 until 2004 when my Raleigh international gave up the ghost.
Then I switched to spd-sl.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 10-11-22, 01:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Hi! What's this thread about?
Old 10-11-22, 03:55 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hi! What's this thread about?
The important question is whether "data" is a counting or non-counting noun. If counting, like... "dog", then "data" is linguistically plural. If non-counting, like "sand", then it's linguistically singular. This is the underlying disagreement - usually we deal with enough data these days (like, terabytes in some cases) that it's treated as an undifferentiated mass even though there are individual bits if you look closely enough (like... sand). The kicker is that the word's Latin origin is plural, but is that sufficient reason to treat it as such in English? I can go along with that, but it usually sounds awkward and will push back on being "corrected" when I treat it as non-counting.

This is also a super-English argument. Chinese has specific non-translatable words that are placed before countable nouns when counting. There is no in-between.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 10-11-22, 06:08 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
The important question is whether "data" is a counting or non-counting noun. If counting, like... "dog", then "data" is linguistically plural. If non-counting, like "sand", then it's linguistically singular. This is the underlying disagreement - usually we deal with enough data these days (like, terabytes in some cases) that it's treated as an undifferentiated mass even though there are individual bits if you look closely enough (like... sand). The kicker is that the word's Latin origin is plural, but is that sufficient reason to treat it as such in English? I can go along with that, but it usually sounds awkward and will push back on being "corrected" when I treat it as non-counting.

This is also a super-English argument. Chinese has specific non-translatable words that are placed before countable nouns when counting. There is no in-between.
Its linguistically singular
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-11-22, 08:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
I hate them. I hated them in the 80s and I will hate them forever.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-11-22, 08:59 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Its linguistically singular
Cite sources.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.