Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber bike life span

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon fiber bike life span

Old 01-07-23, 06:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
By the way, the Porsche’s of which GM modeled the Corvair off had rear swing axle suspensions. A Porsche 356 Speedster in great condition has a rear swing axle and will set you back a quarter million dollars.

So build a rear engined flat six with a swing axle, it’s a German sports car, where most of the people who buy it know how to drive, and it’s a sought after icon. Have GM build it and give it to people who really do not know how to drive, and it’s “unsafe at any speed”
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 01-07-23, 06:56 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
https://www.corvair.org/index.php/ho...e-at-any-speed

or people, could learn to drive. Oversteer is a good thing if you know what you’re doing.

”Oversteer” isn’t’t somethng bad, like the car steersmore than you want. If just means at the limit, the rear tends to come out, more than the front, as opposed to under steer, where the front washes out before the rear.

Every car at the limit will either under steer or oversteer. production cars tend to be balanced to under steer because they are easier to control, particularly by drivers with no concept of chassis dynamics.

oversteer is actually a good thing if you know how to use it. The 930 turbo I posted earlier was prone to significant oversteer, Yet it’s an amazing car in the hands of someone who knew how to drive it.

So, yes the Corvair could have been designed to be more idiot proof, but was by no means unsafe in the hands of a competent driver.
The problem with this is that the Corvair was not marketed as a sports car. So most buyers were used to conventional front engine cars that are more likely to understeer.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-07-23, 07:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by Lombard
The problem with this is that the Corvair was not marketed as a sports car. So most buyers were used to conventional front engine cars that are more likely to understeer.
so the car wasn’t unsafe; it was the drivers. And by the way the link I posted shows a review of the data showed it wasn’t unsafe.
Old 01-07-23, 07:39 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

so the car wasn’t unsafe; it was the drivers. And by the way the link I posted shows a review of the data showed it wasn’t unsafe.
So do you expect the population as a whole to have the driving skills of Mario Andretti? This is a weak argument. When you intruduce something new to the public, you can't expect the masses to underatand something they haven't seen.

Granted that the pre-1968 Volkswagen Beetle and Renault Dauphine has the same swing axle rear suspension.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-07-23, 07:47 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

So do you expect the population as a whole to have the driving skills of Mario Andretti? This is a weak argument. When you intruduce something new to the public, you can't expect the masses to underatand something they haven't seen.

Granted that the pre-1968 Volkswagen Beetle and Renault Dauphine has the same swing axle rear suspension.

so millions of Germans and French people can drive such a car, but put it in the hands of Americans and a liability system where no one has to take any responsibility for their own behavior, and it’s always somebody else’s fault and it becomes unsafe?
Old 01-07-23, 07:53 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

so millions of Germans and French people can drive such a car, but put it in the hands of Americans and a liability system where no one has to take any responsibility for their own behavior, and it’s always somebody else’s fault and it becomes unsafe?
Strawman argument noted.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-07-23, 07:57 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Strawman argument noted.

No straw man. It’s dead on point. Your prior post was that while it might be safe to market as a Porsche sports car, it wasn’t safe for the masses. Yet millions of French and Germans driving similar economy cars would show it could be safely driven, even by non sports car drivers.
Old 01-07-23, 08:11 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

No straw man. It’s dead on point. Your prior post was that while it might be safe to market as a Porsche sports car, it wasn’t safe for the masses. Yet millions of French and Germans driving similar economy cars would show it could be safely driven, even by non sports car drivers.
it's telling that the GM engineers recommended a front stabilizer bar for the Corvair only to have management nix the idea, then add it on in subsequent model years after accidents and deaths due to oversteer.
Old 01-07-23, 08:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

it's telling that the GM engineers recommended a front stabilizer bar for the Corvair only to have management nix the idea, then add it on in subsequent model years after accidents and deaths due to oversteer.
shifting your argument. Lose the point you’re trying to make; try another.
Old 01-07-23, 08:24 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

shifting your argument. Lose the point you’re trying to make; try another.
Wrong. I mentioned that before. Try again.
Old 01-07-23, 08:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Wrong. I mentioned that before. Try again.
tell you what give me a 63 Corvair. You pick the track, and you can have any car of the era with the same engine displacement and we’ll race for titles.
Old 01-07-23, 09:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
So, yes the Corvair could have been designed to be more idiot proof, but was by no means unsafe in the hands of a competent driver.
GM attorneys would have had a heart attack if an executive had made a statement like that about a car marketed to the masses.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-07-23, 09:43 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
GM attorneys would have had a heart attack if an executive had made a statement like that about a car marketed to the masses.
hence one of the problems with this country. Applying that logic, no one is responsible for their own behavior, or learning to actually operate the machinery they use.

you couldn’t sell a Porsche 930 turbo in the US today because it had a nasty habit of killing poor drivers. Yet, if you know what you’re doing it was an amazing car for the day.

We lose something if everything has to be designed to the lowest common denominator.
Old 01-07-23, 09:46 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I can’t believe we’re comparing 930 Turbos and Corvairs, but it is BF…
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 01-07-23, 09:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
hence one of the problems with this country. Applying that logic, no one is responsible for their own behavior, or learning to actually operate the machinery they use.

you couldn’t sell a Porsche 930 turbo in the US today because it had a nasty habit of killing poor drivers. Yet, if you know what you’re doing it was an amazing car for the day.

We lose something if everything has to be designed to the lowest common denominator.
No, it just means that things that are marketed to the lowest common denominator have to be designed for the lowest common denominator.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-16-23, 08:26 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Came in to read about bikes.... but I guess I didn't know what I was thinking.
Old 01-16-23, 11:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10242 Post(s)
Liked 11,594 Times in 5,942 Posts
I found some videos of road tests from the 1960s and early 70s. They're hilarious, because what they're calling "good handling" is cars leaned WAY over, plowing through corners with squealing bias ply tires, losing so much rubber you can see it falling on the track, or sliding sideways through the frame during a "Panic Stop".

It's interesting that we've all internalized the idea that the Corvair was an awful, unstable car prone to suddenly flying off the road bass-ackwards into the weeds on corners, but I wonder how many actually did? And of course in 1965 Chevy gave them full IRS anyway, as well as some of the best looks of any car of that era.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 01-16-23 at 04:50 PM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-16-23, 11:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10242 Post(s)
Liked 11,594 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
I can’t believe we’re comparing 930 Turbos and Corvairs, but it is BF…
There was a turbo Corvair long before there was a turbo 911.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-16-23, 06:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by redtires
Came in to read about bikes.... but I guess I didn't know what I was thinking.
You must be new.
Old 01-16-23, 06:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,840 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I found some videos of road tests from the 1960s and early 70s. They're hilarious, because what they're calling "good handling" is cars leaned WAY over, plowing through corners with squealing bias ply tires, losing so much rubber you can see it falling on the track, or sliding sideways through the frame during a "Panic Stop".

It's interesting that we've all internalized the idea that the Corvair was an awful, unstable car prone to suddenly flying off the road bass-ackwards into the weeds on corners, but I wonder how many actually did? And of course in 1965 Chevy gave them full IRS anyway, as well as some of the best looks of any car of that era.
Sometimes I wish I still had my 66. Looked like this.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-16-23, 06:30 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by big john
Ahhh, the 2nd gen Corvair. This one had a fully independent rear suspension rather than the controversial swing-axle suspension. This one also looked nicer than the 1st gen Corvair.
Old 01-16-23, 06:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,840 Times in 4,390 Posts
Ahhh, the 2nd gen Corvair. This one had a fully independent rear suspension rather than the controversial swing-axle suspension. This one also looked nicer than the 1st gen Corvair.
I had a 64 convertible, too, but I never drove it. Someone gave it to me after it sat in his yard for years. I planned to fix it up to drive but after I started on it I just couldn't do another car after having spent all of my free time on a 67 Mustang. Gave up and sold it. Working as a mechanic then working on project cars is too much.
Old 01-16-23, 06:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I was young, we had a Corvair van...

Ours was brown, and never ran during the time it was parked in our backyard. My dad had dreams of putting a V8 in it, but it was never more than dreams. The last I saw of it was being towed out of our driveway by whomever my dad managed to sell it to.
Old 01-16-23, 06:58 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Eric F
When I was young, we had a Corvair van...

Ours was brown, and never ran during the time it was parked in our backyard. My dad had dreams of putting a V8 in it, but it was never more than dreams. The last I saw of it was being towed out of our driveway by whomever my dad managed to sell it to.
A.k.a. the Greenbrier. There was also a Corvair wagon called the Lakewood.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-16-23, 09:49 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
You must be new.
Cautiously optimistic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.