Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Escape Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant Escape Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 06:43 AM
Leamdav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I definitely am not a fan of the flat bars. I plan to upgrade to an actual road bike with drops eventually, but for now, I used my escape 2 disc the same way you do. Mostly for fitness rides. These touring bars look interesting though.
Old 07-20-23, 04:01 PM
avidrider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Leamdav, consider, the touring bars have many advantages, and they are not expensive (check out your options on Amazon). Take a look the attached photos with butterfly bars on my Escape Disc 1. I have also included some of the hand position advantages of using this type of bar. This bar allows you to choose between an upright position, a drop down position (like drop bars), and an "arrow" position by gripping the middle part of the front bar (see photos). Give them a try . . . you can always return them if they do not work for you (one of the advantages to purchasing via Amazon).

2022 Giant Escape Disc 1, with butterfly handlebars.

These bars are actually 4 inches LESS wide than the straight handlebars that came with the bike. I thought the Giant straight handlebars were too wide (for me, maybe not for you). I like my elbows and hands to line up when I grip the handlebars. This butterfly set up does just that.

The front handlebar grip, for a comfortable and more "upright" ride. I decided to attach the brakes and speed mechanisms to this part of the bars. But it is possible to attach these items to the top part. Your choice.

The top handlebar allows me to lean forward if I need to pick up speed (but speed on this type of bike is not really the goal, but there are times you do need to speed up)!

The "drop" part of this type of handle bar is slightly wider than my elbows, and I only use this position rarely.

The center part of the handlebar allows me to lean forward and ride "arrow", or as arrow as possible on this type of set up.

Last edited by avidrider; 07-20-23 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For avidrider:
Old 11-15-23, 10:25 AM
CadenceBoy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Hey guys, new (old) Escape 1 owner here.
Anyway, I've often had bad luck with house-brand wheels and spokes, and in cases like this.
typically hunt down something not too expensive that at least has Shimano hubs,and DT spokes, but now that I've battled my way down to under 180 lbs, I'm thinking (and have been advised) that the stock wheels should be fine for at least a few years. ( so any commentary on the Giant-branded stock wheels from other Escape owners is welcome).
Also, I messaged recently with another member here, who used to work in a bike shop, and said that the Escapes came back with various problems,more than any other budget bike. Again,any experienced-based commentary on that is welcome,and appreciated. I've got a set of bike tools and have done most of my own wrenching for years, and have some spare parts, so I can handle many of the typical issues, but I'd like to hear from fellow Escape owners.
thanks........
I KNOW I'm REALLY late but:
Got a 2010 Escape, bought second hand about 10yrs ago, no issues with the wheels at 165 lb never had them trued, ride it ~5x /week (city)
Great bike overall, except really heavy bits added to it, changed seatpost, tires, handlebar and stem, crankset (to 1x) .... and offcourse all contact points.

Last edited by CadenceBoy; 11-15-23 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For CadenceBoy:
Old 02-01-24, 04:59 AM
squachie

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
2016 Giant escape 3

Was time to refresh and upgrade this baby. I never liked the way the cable routing was done on this year, I removed 14ft of housing, added stops to the loops and now its much sleeker with only about 7ft of housing, upgraded the derailluers and swapped out the brakes with Avid single digit 5 and went with pod shifters. bike feels and performs better than when it was new.

Likes For squachie:
Old 02-02-24, 11:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by squachie
...I never liked the way the cable routing was done on this year, I removed 14ft of housing, added stops to the loops...
Those look pretty sharp. Would you please post a link to the stops you used?
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 02-02-24, 02:38 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Those look pretty sharp. Would you please post a link to the stops you used?
You beat me to the post!
Old 02-02-24, 04:37 PM
squachie

I do not have a link but here is the info on the stop package. Do not know the original use for them but it worked great because it was a single hole mount with a double stop. i did have to modify a bit as the hole needed to be enlarged so I drilled that and on the underside it had some type of locating pin I had to grind down. I also use 5mm housing for the brakes and derailluers. The package came with for barrel stops, 2 for the f/r derailluers and two for the rear brake stops. I needed on more for the rear derailluer so for that i used a barrel adjuster from a broken shimano shifter combo and a stainless nut to lock that on. Also had to add a standard Shimano BB double cable guide on the shell.

Likes For squachie:
Old 02-02-24, 05:51 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Thanks...it looks like these are somewhat common on the market. Nice solution! Google link
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 02-04-24, 10:56 AM
Vermilion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 31 Posts

Performance Bike sells these Specialized cable stop inserts for $1.99. You might find something similar at an LBS in the "problem solver" category. I used similar stops on a bike I built and 18 years later, they're still doing exactly what they're supposed to.
Likes For Vermilion:
Old 02-04-24, 10:03 PM
squachie

Originally Posted by Vermilion

Performance Bike sells these Specialized cable stop inserts for $1.99. You might find something similar at an LBS in the "problem solver" category. I used similar stops on a bike I built and 18 years later, they're still doing exactly what they're supposed to.
Those were my first hope, would have been clean, simple and light, I could have gone with 4mm housing on the derailluers but could only have found split plastic stops and wanted something stronger. i was using 5mm brake housing. The brazed loops on the frame were 6mm i.d., the metal stops were 7.2 mm o.d. so no go for those on this bike and had to roll with plan B in my post. Hence the reason for using 5mm derailluer housing too.
Likes For squachie: