Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amazon trucks blocking bicycle lanes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-10-20, 08:58 AM
Illgot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I keep running into Amazon trucks blocking the bicycle lanes. Asked one driver to not block the lanes and he was dismissive, dropped off his package and drove off. What irritated me was he was parked in a parking spot moved 2 houses over and parked in the bicycle lane blocking it.

What happens if I just collide with the truck or have to move into the road and get hit by a car?

edit: lots of mobile spelling issues.

Last edited by Illgot; 07-10-20 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 09:02 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Do they have some other place to pull over and park?

i don’t want them in bike lanes either but this may be a road/ infrastructure issue to take up with your city or county.
Old 07-10-20, 09:15 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
The right side of the road is prime territory. Unfortunately, that's where the bike lanes are. Buses, delivery and garbage trucks are going to be there. It's part of bike riding.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 07-10-20, 09:25 AM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
It's not only amazon trucks in my area, it's ups, fedex, other delivery trucks/cars and etc. Online business is booming for some and brick and mortar stores are going bankrupt as a result of the ongoing events, thus more delivery trucks all over. Better get used to it.
Likes For slowpacer:
Old 07-10-20, 10:27 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
I work for a major utility, if our underground facilities are in the bike lane, or our equipment cabinets are right next to the bike lane, while I'll feel bad for being there, you're going to go around my truck.

I also used to drive trucks, so I wouldn't think twice about a delivery or utility vehicle being parked in the bike lane, I understand the problem. Cars parked for their convenience are a different story.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 07-10-20, 10:53 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I work for a major utility, if our underground facilities are in the bike lane, or our equipment cabinets are right next to the bike lane, while I'll feel bad for being there, you're going to go around my truck.

I also used to drive trucks, so I wouldn't think twice about a delivery or utility vehicle being parked in the bike lane, I understand the problem. Cars parked for their convenience are a different story.

When someone does something illegal/dangerous to you, ask not for whom the bell tolls.... Karma will find you.
Old 07-10-20, 11:09 AM
Wileyrat

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman

When someone does something illegal/dangerous to you, ask not for whom the bell tolls.... Karma will find you.
You do realize that it's nothing more than a phone call for someone like me to have that bike lane closed for a considerable "safe" working distance, don't you? I've been riding long before there were such a thing as bike lanes, and I've managed to stay alive. A little common sense goes a long ways.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 07-10-20, 11:12 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
First world problems.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 07-10-20, 11:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Generally, I don't take blocking bike lanes terribly serious as I can look behind me to see if it's safe to shift over. What really bugs me is when the driver insists on getting back into his truck by walking around the front of it. Basically, there is no way to do that without stepping out blindly into the lane, and I've almost hit them doing this on my bike and in my car. It's something small children are taught not to do, yet here's a guy whose job requires him to get back in the truck dozens if not hundreds times a day completely doing it wrong.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-20, 01:16 PM
Illgot

Originally Posted by Ross520
First world problems.
it is but it is also serious for people in America. There is usually zero bicycle infrastructure and cities expect you to ride in the car lanes. Which would be fine but the people in cars expect you to ride on the sidewalks (which can be illegal in parts of a city).

When there are bicycle lanes the city expects you to use that and if you get into an accident while not using the bicycle lanes it is the bicyclist who is as fault. Hell, half the time it is the bicyclists fault even if they are in the bicycle lane when a car hits them here.
Old 07-10-20, 01:27 PM
Illgot

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
You do realize that it's nothing more than a phone call for someone like me to have that bike lane closed for a considerable "safe" working distance, don't you? I've been riding long before there were such a thing as bike lanes, and I've managed to stay alive. A little common sense goes a long ways.
which is fine, if you officially shut it down we are no longer liable and forced to use the bicycle lane. By parking there and just blocking it without making it official you are forcing bicyclists to retain liability while taking up the bicycle lane. Make it official, don't be lazy and don't use the bicycle lanes. It's no different than if you just decide to park in the middle of the vehicle lanes because it is more convenient.

Last edited by Illgot; 07-10-20 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 02:07 PM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Illgot
which is fine, if you officially shut it down we are no longer liable and forced to use the bicycle lane. By parking there and just blocking it without making it official you are forcing bicyclists to retain liability while taking up the bicycle lane. Make it official, don't be lazy and don't use the bicycle lanes.
Making it "official" though requires a call to the city x-number of hours or days in advance. More if there is a weekend in-between. The broken water main, gas service or clogged storm sewer that he is there to fix doesn't always wait that long to make itself a problem.
Old 07-10-20, 02:08 PM
Wileyrat

h
which is fine, if you officially shut it down we are no longer liable and forced to use the bicycle lane. By parking there and just blocking it without making it official you are forcing bicyclists to retain liability while taking up the bicycle lane. Make it official, don't be lazy and don't use the bicycle lanes. It's no different than if you just decide to park in the middle of the vehicle lanes because it is more convenient.
I composed a long post explaining to you the way the MV laws are regarding utility work and traffic restrictions, but it timed out before I had a chance to post it. So, I'm just going to say you better know the laws and what you're talking about before you post your response, because I do. It's what I do for a living.

In a nutshell I can't block a sidewalk without closing it due to the ADA laws, but I can legally park in a bike lane, with my cones out, until our work function is complete. Remember, I'm a cyclist too, and I don't like it either, but that is the way it is.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 07-10-20 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 07-10-20, 02:48 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
I just yell “**** you” as I go around them. All of them. With a finger displayed as well. It’s my street and I am sick of being threatened by these untrained losers. They are easy to spot.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-11-20 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to bypass the forum censor.
Old 07-10-20, 02:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Rebuild the city streets,
Cars park towards the center, the lane for bikes bikes is on the other side, rear to the sidewalk..
then you only get 'doored' by the passenger, not the driver ...

Its already being done

So? do you go to your city council meetings and bring this issue up?
Old 07-10-20, 03:11 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
"Untrained losers"?

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
untrained losers.
Really, Joe? Did you know that virtually every one of the Founders was an "untrained loser," including George Washington? Untrained losers with jobs are called WORKERS. And they used to be respected as the engines that drive the economy back before we began praying at the altar of Wall Street and Private Equity.

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
They are easy to spot.
You mean, like, you just look for their BIG BROWN TRUCKS? There's some good fieldcraft, there, to find them.

I am willing to cut you some slack because I grew up in Walnut Creek. And I also find their corporate attitude about misuse of public infrastructure infuriating. But I wonder if you're not angry because they have some other characteristic that you think you are superior to. It's not a pretty look for you, my Walnut Creek homie.
Old 07-10-20, 03:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

What happens if I just collide with the truck or have to move into the road and get hit by a car?

If you were to collide with a truck parked in front of you, that would be 100% your fault for not paying attention and for not thinking ahead and for not planning an evasive move....If you got hit while passing the truck, it would also be your fault for not looking back to see if the road was clear... Looking back to see if the road is clear before passing should be a second nature when riding in traffic or use a mirror. A mirror is one of the most useful items you can ever put on your bike.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-10-20, 03:32 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
It just not Amazon trucks. It is any kind of delivery trucks. They all have the attitude that they can stop anywhere. They will stop in the driving lane blocking in cars that are parked at the curb. You have wait for the jerks to come out and move their trucks.
Old 07-10-20, 03:34 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Not the biggest issue in the realm of bike transportation. I just go around.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 07-10-20, 05:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
FedEx is always trying to make up for lost deliveries/delivery times, so I just give them that "good for you for trying" look... Since they are just trying to be a delivery service that they claim to be.

No issues with brown santa, usps, amazon, or DHL. They seem to use common sense when delivering goods, & those four businesses try to do it as quickly as possible.
Old 07-10-20, 05:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Generally, I don't take blocking bike lanes terribly serious as I can look behind me to see if it's safe to shift over. What really bugs me is when the driver insists on getting back into his truck by walking around the front of it. Basically, there is no way to do that without stepping out blindly into the lane, and I've almost hit them doing this on my bike and in my car. It's something small children are taught not to do, yet here's a guy whose job requires him to get back in the truck dozens if not hundreds times a day completely doing it wrong.
As someone who's been working in the roads for decades and buried a few co-workers, there is a reason you try not to walk behind the vehicle. You look before you step out.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...le/2811828002/
Old 07-10-20, 05:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
As someone who's been working in the roads for decades and buried a few co-workers, there is a reason you try not to walk behind the vehicle. You look before you step out.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...le/2811828002/

Wait, what? If you cross the vehicle in front, you can't look back in the lane where the traffic is coming from until you step into the lane. The truck blocks your view of the oncoming traffic. If you cross behind the truck, you can see what's coming. By front, I mean at the cab end.
Old 07-10-20, 06:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by BNSF
Making it "official" though requires a call to the city x-number of hours or days in advance. More if there is a weekend in-between. The broken water main, gas service or clogged storm sewer that he is there to fix doesn't always wait that long to make itself a problem.
Here I don't have to make anything "official" to block anything. All I'm required to do is have my proper lights functioning. Granted, I'm going to put out cones etc as needed as well.

Wisconsin Legislature: 347.26(7)
Old 07-10-20, 06:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Wait, what? If you cross the vehicle in front, you can't look back in the lane where the traffic is coming from until you step into the lane. The truck blocks your view of the oncoming traffic. If you cross behind the truck, you can see what's coming. By front, I mean at the cab end.
Right, you look before you step out. No, it doesn't block your view enough to know if your good to go. If you're coming from the curb, as in a delivery driver, you've already looked back before you got to the truck. I've been working in the street a long time and the back of the truck is not a good place to be.
Enough workers get killed that they created attenuator trailers or have 2 vehicles with the rear an unmanned blocker.
Old 07-10-20, 06:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,265 Times in 7,222 Posts
Wonder if the OP checked for signs. Here in Philadelphia, the sides of streets with bike lanes are usually marked with “No Parking” signs. That does not prohibit stopping. As one parking official explained to me, the difference between stopping and parking is about 15 min.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.