Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Old 08-20-20, 03:50 AM
  #2876  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
OK, Smartass, here's the book, the paper spread sheet and the computer printout from whatever program I was using at the time, probably Excel95:




BTW, this was a very light year, mileage-wise for me, only 3,945 miles. First my father was sick and in the hospital til he passed, then I was resident engineer for a fairly large bridge project that required long days, and my son was at Fort Benning and I made several trips there to see him. I'm amazed that I managed near 4,000 miles that year

I am actually impressed. If I didnít have strava, I am not sure how or if I would have logged my miles. I barely log my flight time, itís extremely painful.


I wonder if thatís the next thing strava will make you pay for. Hold your mileage history at ransom or threaten to delete it all together like they are some kind of cycling mafia.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 03:54 AM
  #2877  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Something about turbo props

Safe, Fuel efficient if you care about the earth, and you never have to worry about running off the end of the runway. They stop on a dime without using the reverses. Passengers had more leg room, I could go on and on and on.

There is a reason why all the other countries still use them for short hops.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 08-20-20, 03:54 AM
  #2878  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,917

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
I put the bike on the stand tonight (properly this time Rj)
Time for my weekly clean and lube. While doing that I also wanted to narrow down the squeaking I have been hearing.

Well, It seems to be coming from everything drive chain related. I donít think itís the pedals, But I couldnít figure it out for the life of me. I sprayed some tri flow on the pulleys, and relubed the chain. It seemed to help but I donít really know what else to do. Cassette was tight, and if the wheel spins freely there isnít any squeak.
Do what I do, take it to the shop
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 03:56 AM
  #2879  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
I could not get up this morning. My legs are at that point where they were keeping me up last night. I should take the day off, but at the same time, I know I will be angry with myself later today if I donít go, and I leave for work tomorrow.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:00 AM
  #2880  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Do what I do, take it to the shop
If it was riding wrong I would. Itís currently at an annoyance level, hasnít reached the ďI canít ride it level.Ē Plus we close on Wed, and as soon as we close we have to go to loweís to buy a bunch of stuff. New lawn mower, new bush trimmer, chain saw, gallons and gallons of paint, a couple of doors, wheel barrow, concrete, a shed, a hose, bike hangers, Dirt, tv mounts, etc.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:04 AM
  #2881  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,917

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
If it was riding wrong I would. Itís currently at an annoyance level, hasnít reached the ďI canít ride it level.Ē Plus we close on Wed, and as soon as we close we have to go to loweís to buy a bunch of stuff. New lawn mower, new bush trimmer, chain saw, gallons and gallons of paint, a couple of doors, wheel barrow, concrete, a shed, a hose, bike hangers, Dirt, tv mounts, etc.
we are supposed to close Wednesday too but havenít got clear to close yet. Something got messed up with my homeowners policy and lucky for me, my file got randomly selected for quality audit!!

I expect it today hopefully.

I get what you mean though. I have a click at low cadence climbing in the small ring that isnít quite to I canít stand it yet (but getting close)
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:09 AM
  #2882  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
we are supposed to close Wednesday too but havenít got clear to close yet. Something got messed up with my homeowners policy and lucky for me, my file got randomly selected for quality audit!!

I expect it today hopefully.

I get what you mean though. I have a click at low cadence climbing in the small ring that isnít quite to I canít stand it yet (but getting close)
Sorry to hear that. I hope you can still close wed. We were told like two weeks ago our loan was approved, and then all of a sudden last week they started asking for more information. Crazy how they wait til the last minute. Everything is good now, hopefully no more curve balls. This is our first time buying, I had no idea how long the process was.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:22 AM
  #2883  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,917

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I hope you can still close wed. We were told like two weeks ago our loan was approved, and then all of a sudden last week they started asking for more information. Crazy how they wait til the last minute. Everything is good now, hopefully no more curve balls. This is our first time buying, I had no idea how long the process was.
Same thing here, Iím not worried, itís just paperwork. If itís not Wednesday itíll be Thursday or Friday and we have no plans of moving in until 9/10. I have some contractors lined up to do some work (fence, new electric service/panel, new water heater) that are sort of dependent on the closing date, but we can make it all work.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:30 AM
  #2884  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,136

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I've heard stories from car mechanics who have moved from salt states and have worked on corroded cars a bit myself. They say you can't have a shop without a cutting torch and you have to make a lot of brake and fuel lines.
The stories are true, vehicles rot from the bottom up. My brother lost the rearend in his truck when the cover rotted through on a trip to Lake George.
Pirkaus is offline  
Likes For Pirkaus:
Old 08-20-20, 04:39 AM
  #2885  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 35,525

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17405 Post(s)
Liked 6,131 Times in 3,160 Posts
wut
WhyFi is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:42 AM
  #2886  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 17,468

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6902 Post(s)
Liked 2,160 Times in 1,155 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
I wonder if thatís the next thing strava will make you pay for. Hold your mileage history at ransom or threaten to delete it all together like they are some kind of cycling mafia.
That'd really whack the casual riders, but anyone with a Wahoo or Garmin should have it on those platforms, and from there it can be pushed to TrainingPeaks and other third-party platforms as yet further backups.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:43 AM
  #2887  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 17,468

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6902 Post(s)
Liked 2,160 Times in 1,155 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Safe, Fuel efficient if you care about the earth, and you never have to worry about running off the end of the runway. They stop on a dime without using the reverses. Passengers had more leg room, I could go on and on and on.

There is a reason why all the other countries still use them for short hops.
Pretty sure they'd have modern amounts of legroom if used today. With the added benefit of longer misery.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:44 AM
  #2888  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 17,468

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6902 Post(s)
Liked 2,160 Times in 1,155 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
I could not get up this morning. My legs are at that point where they were keeping me up last night. I should take the day off, but at the same time, I know I will be angry with myself later today if I donít go, and I leave for work tomorrow.
Compression boots are great for that, and they're not that expensive anymore.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 04:58 AM
  #2889  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,799

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15573 Post(s)
Liked 3,528 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus View Post
The stories are true, vehicles rot from the bottom up. My brother lost the rearend in his truck when the cover rotted through on a trip to Lake George.
Yes. For Saturns the problem is the sub-frame. The Saturnforums is full of concerns about this as the fleet ages. The body panels, being plastic, are immune from rust however.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 05:17 AM
  #2890  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,133

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8517 Post(s)
Liked 1,978 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Classic. 52 MPH on 4/28/95? wut

This is what my spreadsheet looked like once upon a time. Back when I had energy to ride most days. I see there's three years missing from the folder with the rest of them.
That 52+ mph was probably on our tandem on one of the several steep drops in my area. I've gone 50+ recently on one 3 miles from my house. BTW, I finally remembered the program that I was using. It was a cycling log database program from a local custom programming shop that were popping up everywhere at the time. It was called ProLog. I wish I had generated better reports as the program was pretty detailed.

Hope you find those three years. I'd be freaking out.

Just kidding... maybe.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 05:19 AM
  #2891  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,133

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8517 Post(s)
Liked 1,978 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
we are supposed to close Wednesday too but havenít got clear to close yet. Something got messed up with my homeowners policy and lucky for me, my file got randomly selected for quality audit!!

I expect it today hopefully.
Good luck!
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-20-20, 05:30 AM
  #2892  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,133

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8517 Post(s)
Liked 1,978 Times in 965 Posts
My wife, in a rare move, told me this week that she's ready to buy a new car. Pretty weird since she tends to drive a car for 9-10 years and her current car, an Acura RDX, is only 4. She's on the net researching and been to a few dealers but not found "The One," yet.

I'm in the middle of a landscaping project and need to get it done and also have to see my broker this afternoon so she's headed back out this AM without me. I don't know if she'll come home with something or not. It will be interesting. She's done a tough negotiator and she has to drive whatever she buys so I'm not worried about she picks out. Kind of exciting.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 05:35 AM
  #2893  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,133

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8517 Post(s)
Liked 1,978 Times in 965 Posts
I must be caffeine saturated. The last few mornings, I drink one double espresso and start feeling like being over caffeinated. Normally, it takes three over a couple hour period.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-20-20, 05:36 AM
  #2894  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,133

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8517 Post(s)
Liked 1,978 Times in 965 Posts
I'll just talk to myself here for awhile. Maybe go check the Stravidiot leader board.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-20-20, 05:39 AM
  #2895  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Same thing here, Iím not worried, itís just paperwork. If itís not Wednesday itíll be Thursday or Friday and we have no plans of moving in until 9/10. I have some contractors lined up to do some work (fence, new electric service/panel, new water heater) that are sort of dependent on the closing date, but we can make it all work.

We donít have to be out of our rental until sept 30. So in one way this will be the least stressful move, we will just pack one room at a time. But we are literally painting the whole inside, and I want to get started yesterday.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 05:40 AM
  #2896  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
My wife, in a rare move, told me this week that she's ready to buy a new car. Pretty weird since she tends to drive a car for 9-10 years and her current car, an Acura RDX, is only 4. She's on the net researching and been to a few dealers but not found "The One," yet.

I'm in the middle of a landscaping project and need to get it done and also have to see my broker this afternoon so she's headed back out this AM without me. I don't know if she'll come home with something or not. It will be interesting. She's done a tough negotiator and she has to drive whatever she buys so I'm not worried about she picks out. Kind of exciting.
I want my wife to get an acura rdx next.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 05:41 AM
  #2897  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Pretty sure they'd have modern amounts of legroom if used today. With the added benefit of longer misery.

We parked them 2 years ago, Every row had the same leg room as first class on a Crj 700/900. Also I could stand full erect walking to my seat. My current airframe was designs for hobbits.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 05:42 AM
  #2898  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 3,956

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Compression boots are great for that, and they're not that expensive anymore.

I wear a compression stockings when I fly. What are the compression boots used for? do you wear them when sleeping?
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 06:06 AM
  #2899  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 20,133

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8517 Post(s)
Liked 1,978 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
I want my wife to get an acura rdx next.
My wife looked at the new ones but she wants to get something smaller. The new RDX is a few inches longer and wider than hers.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 08-20-20, 06:22 AM
  #2900  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 42,870

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20062 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 658 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Hope you find those three years. I'd be freaking out.
I regret to inform that my brain is not working just fine. I tried to find, but could not locate, my cycling logs March 2008 - 2011. It seems either they're:

(1) Saved on an older computer, sitting in storage (seems unlikely because I exported the other ones), or

(2) I may have been saving them at the now shuttered website BikeWire. Sad!

I have the monthly mileage totals saved separately, but not the individual rides.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.