Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

convenient battery removal after every ride

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 11:58 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts

Are there any e-bikes with easy battery removal? I'm talking about after every ride, so convenience is paramount. What I don't want to do is store it in a garage where the temperature can get above 120F / 48.9C easily. From what I can see e-bikes would be too heavy for me to carry into the house like my road bike.

edit: I did find the Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0, which is 33lb - but they get heavier quickly.

_

Last edited by gios; 08-21-20 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 09:25 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Onemotor.co. Entire thing removes in seconds.
Likes For linberl:
Old 08-21-20, 02:28 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Most DIY systems can be designed for battery removal; and if you select appropriately as above, the bike is light enough to be brought inside. Many OEM's are incorporating the battery into the frame in such a manner that removal every ride is infeasible, but some are amenable (need to check on a case by case basis.
Old 08-21-20, 03:03 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Luna Cycle holds their batteries on with magnets. Works way better than I thought it would. Holds the battery very solidly, but twist on one end and it easily rotates off. I take it into grocery stores with me.

I do wrap a velcro strap around it when riding just because I am a little wary of a 9 pound battery being held on by the two water bottle rivnuts in my aluminum frame.

https://lunacycle.com/luna-wolf-v2-52v-battery-pack/

Heat is bad for batteries, but cold will flat kill them. Good to keep it temperature controlled if possible
Old 08-22-20, 07:49 PM
sslonkosky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know about their other bikes, but I had two Sondors folding bikes, a Fold X7 (2017) and a Fold Mini (2018). To remove the battery, you folded the bike and used the key to unlock the battery. Then you slid the battery out. The battery for the Fold X7 was quite heavy at 8 lb. (Both bikes were stolen at the same time).

Both bikes were somewhat heavier than I liked. Based mainly on what I have read from linberl and a few others over the past year, I have ordered the OneMotor witht he eztended battery pack. This way I can take the battery, motor and bike (which weighs 25 lb.) inside for safekeeping. I couldn't have taken the Fold X7 because it's just too big and heavy (66 lb.). I have to go up half a dozen steps and then make a right angle turn to get through the door. Sondors doesn't currently sell the Fold Mini (or Z). I think the Fold X that is listed on the web site is roughly equivalent to the Fold X7 that I had. Sondors only occasionally has bikes in stock. You usually have to put down a $299 payment and wait a few months for the bike to arrive from China. The Sondors Storm Owners Group on Facebook has over 10,000 members and is a good place to ask questions as it has a number of people who have access directly to Storm Sonders.

Another option I considered that allows you to have an easily removeable batter is Swytch. They take orders every three months and say you should get your order in 10 to 12 weeks. But it looks more like 6 months to me as some people who ordered in March are just now getting their orders. Those who ordered Brompton kits last August are apparently being told their orders will be on the next boat which is leaving any day now. It take s a month to get to London and probably anoter couple of weeks ot get to the US. I figured it I ordered a Swytch kit on the Augst order, the earliest I would get it was December. There is also the possibility that the PRC might decide this is a good time to take over Taiwan and who knows what that might do to delay shipping (I have friends who still have realtives in Taiwan so I sincerely hope this does not happe.)
Old 08-23-20, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Generally any quality motor system is easy to remove the battery from in general. Bosch, Shimano and a lot of Brose systems have very easy to remove batteries and many of those can be ABUS Plus keyed so I can key alike locks for the bike and other uses to my battery without much hassle. Also with those more quality systems they will typically have a walk assist meaning I can engage the motor while walking it to help me up stairs and ramps and other obstacles. Plus the batteries are generally in the 5-7lb range and should you have issues with those systems you have really excellent support.

The Vado and Creo SL bikes are awesome and really nice and lightweight but a little less power and a little less battery capacity (and non-removable) but still has that awesome walk assist to help get it in the house when you are not able by your own power. Plus with the Creo, you can have your road bike and E-bb it too and you have a lifetime warranty on frame and fork and 2 years on the e-bike components which ain't bad.
Old 08-25-20, 12:05 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
This would work: at around 5:05 - removable battery - folding Brompton electric

Old 08-25-20, 01:03 PM
sslonkosky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
It appears that the price differential between a regular Brompton and a Brompton Electric is roughly the same as a OneMotor with extended battery. Both batteries are 300 WH.
Old 08-26-20, 11:36 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by sslonkosky
It appears that the price differential between a regular Brompton and a Brompton Electric is roughly the same as a OneMotor with extended battery. Both batteries are 300 WH.
Yeah, but the cool thing about OM is that you can move it from bike to bike if you have more than one. I do. And I have a friend who got one and uses it on his folder and also on his road bike AND his mountain bike. All he did was buy extra mounting brackets. I like the fact that if my bike ever got stolen, I could just buy a new bike and put the OM on that one, too. Because...as we know...**** happens and bikes get stolen.
Old 08-31-20, 04:46 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
external batteries are easy the internal ones take a little more work. you unlock it then wack the side to make it come out. my Bosch is a external semi integrated. unlock it and grab it by the handle. the internal ones are a bit of a pain to carry there is no way to grip it securely one handed. I chose my bulls bike partly because of the external battery and they cost a bit less and weight a bit less.