Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Bike Computers?

Old 08-31-20, 11:42 AM
FrankDtank

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate with Campy Super Record. Cannondale R2000 with Dura Ace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Computers?

Hey folks,

I'm an old masters racer that's getting back into cycling. Do people still use computers, or are you using phone apps? What are people using?
Old 09-01-20, 07:59 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
All my bikes are running a mix of wired or wireless SRM's so tied into their head units.

Wouldn't be keen to have something as big as my mobile out front!
Old 08-12-21, 02:41 PM
ganthercage

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome
Old 08-12-21, 02:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
I use a Wahoo Bolt. I like it a lot.

IMO, a phone is just too big, but I know people who do that.
Old 08-12-21, 03:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Garmin Edge 130.

I don't need color, touchscreen, or big maps. I just need something to talk to my powermeter. This works.
Old 08-12-21, 04:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
There's a lot of folks using dedicated GPS cycling computers. Expensive little suckers (but worth it) that use GPS to track your time, track and speed (Garmin, Wahoo, hammerhead, Lezyne as typical). Most upload a saved and completed ride to a website so you can log your workouts. Most allow a route to be created online and downloaded to the device that gives you an on-screen map as well as turn-by-turn directions. The Bolt and the Garmin 130 are typical. There are pricier versions as well. I'm a map and data junky so love my Hammerhead Karoo 2.
Old 11-19-21, 08:17 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
I use both a Garmin 530 and a phone app called Ride with GPS which was free. The Garmin adds a lot of detailed info to my rides like heart rate, respiration rate, vertical distance climbed, it’ll also take power meter inputs but I haven’t bothered getting power meter pedals yet. It sends all that data to my phone’s Garmin app so I can go back and look it over later.

The free Ride w/GPS phone app has great mapping so when I go way out of town I can quickly see “where does that road go?” or find my way back to my car! It’ll also tell you average speed and max speed. It also has a lot of the trails in the woods where I ride my mountain bike which is nice.
Old 12-11-21, 11:03 AM
BoydOBenjamin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i really donno
Old 01-13-22, 10:33 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I have a Garmin Edge 530 which ticks all the boxes and I've used it for the last 3 years. I got a Hammerhead Karoo 2 for Christmas from family and I have started using it - seems great so far.
I don't like using my mobile but I do have it with me so I guess anyone looking to avoid getting a dedicated computer could simply use their phone with Strava.

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 02-07-22 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-30-22, 08:27 PM
DoggettDude

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
If you have a power meter, you should absolutely be using it. And the corollary to "If a tree falls and no one hears it, did it make a sound?" is "If you rode without Strava, did you really turn the pedals?"
Old 06-24-22, 04:53 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
$50 Cyclplus M1. GPS ride tracking and manages all my sensors including power.

It's a mainland Chinese computer, so they get my cycling data before pushing it to Strava. I don't think a retired guy's ride data is altering the balance of National Security, but it deserves a mention.
Old 06-24-22, 05:10 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
I have a Garmin Edge 530 which ticks all the boxes and I've used it for the last 3 years. I got a Hammerhead Karoo 2 for Christmas from family and I have started using it - seems great so far.
I don't like using my mobile but I do have it with me so I guess anyone looking to avoid getting a dedicated computer could simply use their phone with Strava.

So, my question to you is is there a way, or is it relatively easy to extract data from your 530 to up load to RWGPS?

I also use the free RWGPS for data. Haven’t really had a large need for GPS navigation, but when I do I extract the file from RWGPS and load it in my garmin handheld, but that is a cumbersome process. Perhaps the Garmin has similar data collection, but I guess simple data is more of a importance to me at my level. It would be nice in those rare occasions not to run two devices.
Old 06-24-22, 05:13 AM
theydonboy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry to butt in on this, but I have just registered and do not see a button enabling me to post a new thread. Can anyone help? The FAQs state that you need the right permissions to do this, but do not explain how you get these. Also, I cannot see there there is any contact facility. Anyway, how does one acquire the ability to post on Bike Forums please?
Old 06-24-22, 05:22 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
So, my question to you is is there a way, or is it relatively easy to extract data from your 530 to up load to RWGPS?

I also use the free RWGPS for data. Haven’t really had a large need for GPS navigation, but when I do I extract the file from RWGPS and load it in my garmin handheld, but that is a cumbersome process. Perhaps the Garmin has similar data collection, but I guess simple data is more of a importance to me at my level. It would be nice in those rare occasions not to run two devices.
In terms of extracting the .fit files from any device, that is easy. You simply plug the device (Garmin, Wahoo, Hammerhead, whatever) into your computer and find the relevant .fit file for the ride you want.

As for RWGPS, not sure in that particular case, I never use GPS nav on my rides; I have never needed to.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 06-25-22, 03:58 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
Yes, it's certainly "relatively easy" (or easier) to import the activities to RWGPS. (It's the same for any of the Garmin devices.)

You can get it to do it automatically:

https://ridewithgps.com/help/automat...garmin-connect

RWGPS has lots of Garmin users (so, they definitely put effort into supporting them).

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-25-22 at 04:17 PM.
Likes For njkayaker: