Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Post Your Bikepacking/Touring Experiences Here (PICS)

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Post Your Bikepacking/Touring Experiences Here (PICS)

Old 12-02-20, 12:49 PM
  #1  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
Thread Starter
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 105 Posts
Post Your Bikepacking/Touring Experiences Here (PICS)

What do you guys think of bombtracks line of touring bikes? I'm looking to start doing some mild touring this spring.
Moisture is offline  
Old 12-02-20, 12:55 PM
  #2  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,071

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
Way too pricey
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is online now  
Old 12-02-20, 01:02 PM
  #3  
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 911

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
What do you guys think of bombtracks line of touring bikes? I'm looking to start doing some mild touring this spring.
It's in "Commuting"?

Anyway, I took a look, and to be honest, the one that speaks to me the most is one from their "urban" line:

https://bombtrack.com/2021-munroe-cargo/


But (and this is big to me): None of their bikes seems to have a split backstay for a belt - not even one in their "Urban" line - which makes all of them less of an option for me.

Edit: And they're steel. Not something I want at all.

Last edited by CargoDane; 12-02-20 at 01:13 PM.
CargoDane is offline  
Old 12-02-20, 01:19 PM
  #4  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,071

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
One can Tour on any bike.
Fred here did ,2000 miles on a $60 bike camping the entire ride.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is online now  
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-02-20, 03:31 PM
  #5  
mev
bicycle tourist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,896

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 66 Posts
Your subject line is rather misleading.

Anyways, here is Stu with his bike cycling through northern Australia.

Last edited by mev; 12-02-20 at 05:33 PM.
mev is offline  
Likes For mev:
Old 12-02-20, 06:53 PM
  #6  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,023
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13736 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,356 Posts
They’re on to him in General.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 12-02-20, 06:53 PM
  #7  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,023
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13736 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,356 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
One can Tour on any bike.
Fred here did ,2000 miles on a $60 bike camping the entire ride.
Glad to see he fixed his flat.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 12-02-20, 11:53 PM
  #8  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 13,128

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6069 Post(s)
Liked 3,226 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
What do you guys think of bombtracks line of touring bikes? I'm looking to start doing some mild touring this spring.
What does this have to do with the thread title?
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-03-20, 03:36 AM
  #9  
saddlesores
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangkok...and....Hainan
Posts: 3,305

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
What do you guys think of bombtracks line of touring bikes? I'm looking to start doing some mild touring this spring.
nonononono!!!!!!!!!! that's now how forums are s'posed to work.

the person that opens a photo thread normally starts it off by
posting a few pictures to get the conversation going.

i would'a thunk you were flogging bombtrack bikes, but you didn't
bother to include a link. and the new milleminal way is to add a
link to your youtube channel review where you can monetize the
clicks, tricking other forum members into visiting your space.

i'm afraid your method is just plain lazy and rather pointless.

https://tse2-mm.cn.bing.net/th/id/OI...j?pid=Api&rs=1
saddlesores is offline  
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 12-03-20, 08:59 AM
  #10  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 980

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 60 Posts
Why does there need to be "bomb" in the name?

Its like "Surly". Who wants a bike named after behaving like a spoiled jerk? (Well, I do... but thats despite the name, not because of it).
dgodave is offline  
Old 12-03-20, 09:13 AM
  #11  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 13,128

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6069 Post(s)
Liked 3,226 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave View Post
Why does there need to be "bomb" in the name?

Its like "Surly". Who wants a bike named after behaving like a spoiled jerk? (Well, I do... but thats despite the name, not because of it).
Wow, can't say either of those names bother me in the least. I have never given a second thought to either, really.

When I hear 'bombtrack', i think of 'bombing down the track', meaning going fast on a route/run.

Interesting how a name can disappoint/offend someone and not another person.
Naming products has to be exhausting for companies- weighing the positives and negatives, seeing how the name translates, etc.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-03-20, 09:17 AM
  #12  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 980

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Wow, can't say either of those names bother me in the least. I have never given a second thought to either, really.

When I hear 'bombtrack', i think of 'bombing down the track', meaning going fast on a route/run.

Interesting how a name can disappoint/offend someone and not another person.
Naming products has to be exhausting for companies- weighing the positives and negatives, seeing how the name translates, etc.
"Surly" sounds like an appeal to 90's pre-teen wanna be skaters.

(Disclosure: I love my Surly Krampus, which Surly named after a very mean northern European anti-Santa beast.)
dgodave is offline  
Old 12-03-20, 09:34 AM
  #13  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 980

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
They had the same problem with the Lecherous brand of bikes. Their motto was: "How does THAT grab ya?"
Mods please move^^^ to politics section.
dgodave is offline  
Old 12-03-20, 09:36 AM
  #14  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 5,021
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave View Post
Mods please move^^^ to politics section.
I deleted it for you. The connection did not even cross my mind. I'm Canadian. No offense meant

But now you have it in your quote. You can delete that by editing the post.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 12-03-20, 09:38 AM
  #15  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 980

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
I deleted it for you. The connection did not even cross my mind. I'm Canadian. No offense meant

But now you have it in your quote!
Haha. I was totally kidding. No offense taken.
dgodave is offline  
Old 12-03-20, 09:40 AM
  #16  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 5,021
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave View Post
Haha. I was totally kidding. No offense taken.
OMG... YOU were being Surly!
Happy Feet is offline  
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 12-03-20, 09:47 AM
  #17  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 980

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
OMG... YOU were being Surly!
I blame my bike.
dgodave is offline  
Likes For dgodave:
Old 12-03-20, 08:38 PM
  #18  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
Thread Starter
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane View Post
It's in "Commuting"?

Anyway, I took a look, and to be honest, the one that speaks to me the most is one from their "urban" line:

https://bombtrack.com/2021-munroe-cargo/


But (and this is big to me): None of their bikes seems to have a split backstay for a belt - not even one in their "Urban" line - which makes all of them less of an option for me.

Edit: And they're steel. Not something I want at all.
Why don't you like steel.

Thst bike looks weird. Is it for cargo?
Moisture is offline  
Old 12-03-20, 11:58 PM
  #19  
saddlesores
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangkok...and....Hainan
Posts: 3,305

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane View Post
It's in "Commuting"?

Edit: And they're steel. Not something I want at all.
the Munroe Cargo

6061-T6 aluminium frame with hydroformed downtube, through axle dropouts and cage, rack and fender mounts.
saddlesores is offline  
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 12-04-20, 10:00 AM
  #20  
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 911

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores View Post
the Munroe Cargo

6061-T6 aluminium frame with hydroformed downtube, through axle dropouts and cage, rack and fender mounts.
Oh! That is nice! Perfect! Thank you
CargoDane is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 10:11 AM
  #21  
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 911

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
Why don't you like steel.

Thst bike looks weird. Is it for cargo?
Yes, it's for cargo (Or simply just a bag for work or grocery getting or whatever). It's sort of like a miniature Omnium cargo. Or what is referred to as a "short john" (as opposed to a "long john".


As for steel, I don't like it, because I don't like it. Corrosion being one of the reasons as I don't do "good-weather bikes", I ride my bikes year round, and I don't like the weight of steel bikes either. Now, people can own steel bikes as much as they do, and I have to admit that a lot of "pretty" bikes I stumble upon are steel (no sarcasm, I do mean they're pretty).

The Omnium Cargo I own myself is made from titanium because I didn't want their "standard" frame which is steel. I haven't owned a steel bike for 25-30 years or so as it is something I actively avoid.

In the end, it is not some deep "belief" I feel the need to "convert" people to or whatever. It is just a personal preference.

That said, I have just been corrected that that particular model of theirs is actually alu, so that's good! It still doesn't have a backstay splitter for a belt, but at least the frame is not something that needs maintenance itself.
CargoDane is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 11:00 AM
  #22  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
Thread Starter
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane View Post
Yes, it's for cargo (Or simply just a bag for work or grocery getting or whatever). It's sort of like a miniature Omnium cargo. Or what is referred to as a "short john" (as opposed to a "long john".


As for steel, I don't like it, because I don't like it. Corrosion being one of the reasons as I don't do "good-weather bikes", I ride my bikes year round, and I don't like the weight of steel bikes either. Now, people can own steel bikes as much as they do, and I have to admit that a lot of "pretty" bikes I stumble upon are steel (no sarcasm, I do mean they're pretty).

The Omnium Cargo I own myself is made from titanium because I didn't want their "standard" frame which is steel. I haven't owned a steel bike for 25-30 years or so as it is something I actively avoid.

In the end, it is not some deep "belief" I feel the need to "convert" people to or whatever. It is just a personal preference.

That said, I have just been corrected that that particular model of theirs is actually alu, so that's good! It still doesn't have a backstay splitter for a belt, but at least the frame is not something that needs maintenance itself.

True, aluminum is much more resistant to corrosion.

As for me personally, I prefer Steel because of its ride quality. My old aluminum bike was simply too stiff and jarring. I don't need this type of stiffness. I understand that newer aluminum framed have come a long way with comfort and all, but a newer style aluminum frame really doesn't weigh any less than a high quality vintage Chromoly frame.

My old GT MTB weighs 20lb, which is impressive for an aluminum hardtail. My friends Norco Monterey SL is made from cromoly but its also super light. A very high quality frame.

My 25" steel framed Norco is a bit heavier, maybe around 25lb but the geometry of the bike fits me so well that the efficiency really helps to make up for it.i feel faster on climbs and in.general even with the extra weight. Bonus that it adds to the smooth ride quality.
Moisture is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 11:33 AM
  #23  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 13,128

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6069 Post(s)
Liked 3,226 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
As for me personally, I prefer Steel because of its ride quality. My old aluminum bike was simply too stiff and jarring.
Your bike with MTB tires and a suspension fork was too jarring? You prefer steel because you have very limited experience and what you have works for you. A preference without experience has limited value.
You declared a wildly ill fitting MTB was the perfect fit for you and now claim your next bike is perfect fitting. Its as if you dont know much yet.

I don't need this type of stiffness. I understand that newer aluminum framed have come a long way with comfort and all, but a newer style aluminum frame really doesn't weigh any less than a high quality vintage Chromoly frame.
A quality new aluminum frame weighs less than a quality vintage steel frame.
A size 56 CAAD12 frame weighs just under 1100g. A size 56 531 road frame from 40 years ago would have weighed 1850g +/- 100g.
That is a significant difference in frame weight.

My old GT MTB weighs 20lb, which is impressive for an aluminum hardtail. My friends Norco Monterey SL is made from cromoly but its also super light. A very high quality frame.
Your GT bike does not weigh 20#. Add 10# to that.
A Norco Monterey SL was nicer than the standard Monterey, but it was not 'a very high quality frame'. It was a good mid-range general road frame.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-04-20, 12:07 PM
  #24  
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 911

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
True, aluminum is much more resistant to corrosion.

As for me personally, I prefer Steel because of its ride quality. My old aluminum bike was simply too stiff and jarring. I don't need this type of stiffness. I understand that newer aluminum framed have come a long way with comfort and all, but a newer style aluminum frame really doesn't weigh any less than a high quality vintage Chromoly frame.

My old GT MTB weighs 20lb, which is impressive for an aluminum hardtail. My friends Norco Monterey SL is made from cromoly but its also super light. A very high quality frame.

My 25" steel framed Norco is a bit heavier, maybe around 25lb but the geometry of the bike fits me so well that the efficiency really helps to make up for it.i feel faster on climbs and in.general even with the extra weight. Bonus that it adds to the smooth ride quality.
Aluminium can be non-jarring as well. It's about geometry (and wheel base) mostly. That said, my mini-velo (Dahon Smooth Hound) can be jarring too under the right circumstances, but that is not due to the material.

I've had loads of alu bikes, and apart from the mini-velo none of them was jarring. Least of all is the Bullitt (a long john). It is by far the least "jarring" bike I own (it even feels "soft" at times). The Omnium cargo (Ti) feels much stiffer than the Bullitt, but it is not jarring despite the oversized tubes compared to the steel version (steel omnium). It just feels stiff as it should be when you carry a lot of weight.

I think you're confusing lack of flex with "jarring". I don't think flex is a good thing, regardless of the material. In fact, you have to have a minimum of stifness to the rear frame to use a Rohloff hub, if not, it will jump gears or not shift properly. I have seen some titanium bikes with the same diameter as a steel version, you don't want that as that is making the whole bike more flexy than the steel version.
Carbon can be made as stiff as you want it, or as flexible as you want it. It all depends. It's not the material choice that makes the difference, it is how you implement it.

But it doesn't matter. My preferred metal is titanium. When it does flex due to loads, you don't fatigue it like you would an alu frame, and you don't have the weight or corrosion of steel. Carbon is great for some things too.

My fork on the Omnium is steel. Luckily, it isn't a super expensive fork, so if it begins to rust, is otherwise damaged, or I suspect it is rusting inside, I can buy a new one for little money. That said, I'd prefer a fork made from (oversized) titanium for weight, ease of mind, strength, and corrosion resistance. I'd consider a BMX vert fork from CF if I could figure out how to attach a tab for the steerer rod (both my cargo bikes employ steerer rods).A custom titanium fork would not have that problem.
CargoDane is offline  
Old 12-04-20, 12:52 PM
  #25  
Moisture
Drip, Drip.
Thread Starter
 
Moisture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Your bike with MTB tires and a suspension fork was too jarring? You prefer steel because you have very limited experience and what you have works for you. A preference without experience has limited value.
You declared a wildly ill fitting MTB was the perfect fit for you and now claim your next bike is perfect fitting. Its as if you dont know much yet.


A quality new aluminum frame weighs less than a quality vintage steel frame.
A size 56 CAAD12 frame weighs just under 1100g. A size 56 531 road frame from 40 years ago would have weighed 1850g +/- 100g.
That is a significant difference in frame weight.


Your GT bike does not weigh 20#. Add 10# to that.
A Norco Monterey SL was nicer than the standard Monterey, but it was not 'a very high quality frame'. It was a good mid-range general road frame.
I weighed the GT at exactly 21lb. That was with the suspension post which weighs almost 2 pounds. Obviously if I had to use over 100mm of spacers, stem risers, a riser stem, riser handlebar... It not a good fit.

My current Norco is just about maxed out for me in terms of standover clearance. Some other 64cm frames out there actually won't fit me at all. I'd have to go with around 62cm or 61 depending on the bike.

The reach on the norco is well on the short side, and the stack at roughly 640mm is about the best ill get unless we're talking about a newer bike which has a sloped top tube. Plus, thanks to my tall quill stem and riser bars, the stack is plenty high enough.

so how much better of a fit can I possibly get? Pretty much any bike i find out there with sufficient stsndover clearance will have either a very similar or even more drawn out stack to reach ratio than what i already have. Plus, being threadless, the stem won't be very high up.

I understand that jts the reach which determines how the bike fits when pedalling out of the saddle, and the ETT which determines the fit inside the saddle - both of these measures feel super comfortable to me and the power transfer is effective.

In the future, id get something with a slightly shorter reach so that my butt hovers more directly over the saddle when pedalling standing up, and then I won't need to have such a high stack.

I think I have a good understanding by this point of what I need in terms of fit.
Moisture is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.