Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Throw the Nitto Stem in the Recycle Bin?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Throw the Nitto Stem in the Recycle Bin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21, 01:53 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
The 2021 Darwin Awards

DON'T MESS AROUND!

You don't want to become a candidate for the award do you? "Hey watch this"...

Unlike steel, aluminum can only be bent or deformed a small amount before it looses a critical amount of strength and reliability caused by sometimes undetectable cracks and stresses which can lead to unpredictable catastrophic failure!

With 20-40 year old used stems, you may never know what they've been through.

I've never understood why some folks who've spent hundreds to thousands of dollars on a bike and components want to save a few bucks on something so mission critical as the bars and stem???

verktyg HEY WATCH THIS!

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 01-06-21 at 06:33 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 01-06-21, 03:00 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
his stem's not that old, man. and that cinelli is lightweight stuff. moreover, someone had to go gorilla on that to make those stresses even happen

otoh, is that even a 1A stem? looks like one, but maybe it's only a similar style made of inferior aluminum or process. nitto is quality and what the OP is dealing with isn't that extreme

being conscientious of one's work is good, but let's not get too alarmist
Likes For thook:
Old 01-06-21, 07:11 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
HEY WATCH THIS!
Both of those failures look suspiciously like they started at the stress-raisers - the clamp one is obvious, the second has a smooth clamp area (good) but shows indentations at the chamfer of the bolt hole, likely from a bolt with a serrated shank.

The first would be a design failure, the second design or possibly user.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 01-06-21, 12:02 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Additionally, would be curious if either of the failures pictures above caused crashes, and how noticeable the first one was, for how long, before it completely broke.

Watch this? Certainly watch your bike for cracks!! But with some rare exceptions, parts should be innocent until proven faulty beyond a reasonable doubt. Let's be reasonable, here.

I could rant and rave about the litigious american culture breeding mass alarmism and ruining things for everybody, but I'm trying to exercise restraint.
Old 01-06-21, 04:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Both of those failures look suspiciously like they started at the stress-raisers - the clamp one is obvious, the second has a smooth clamp area (good) but shows indentations at the chamfer of the bolt hole, likely from a bolt with a serrated shank.

The first would be a design failure, the second design or possibly user.

The pictured Cinelli with the splits at the bolt hole is from the particular bolt that was specified for use with a rather thick reflector bracket!

When people removed the brackets and then tightened up the tapered-and-splined binder nut/bolt, the taper could then blow apart the metal surrounding the hole. This was from the era of new safety regulations, late-1970's and lasting into the eighties before Cinelli got rid of this troublesome bolt interface.

Aluminum does in fact degrade with age when held in tension at any part of it's cross-section. While semi-recent advancements in metallurgy/processing have allowed for the unlikely advent of aluminum spokes on the market, aluminum suffers from susceptibility to "creep yield" failure as prolonged tension eventually pulls this metal apart. Steel alloys on the other hand have no such weakness, at least not at relatively low temperatures below say 600+F or so. The classic failure of radial-laced hub flanges would be a good example of creep yield tensile failure of aluminum at roughly room temperature.

I've reamed out a 25.4mm stem clamp to 26.0mm on a Kalloy-made alloy stem, since it was of thick construction shared by their identical 26.0mm stems.

Very hard to remove aluminum with abrasive stones without quickly clogging the abrasive surfaces, so I wrapped coarse belt-sander paper around a dowel and rotated the stem back and forth as I slid it forcefully along the dowel, adjusting the gap tension as needed (I started with an Allen key wedged into the gap). This method was intended to have a forceful, automatic self-centering action to it, which preserved the alignment and roundness of the bore.

Death-stem-be-gone!
Old 01-07-21, 12:30 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts

Originally Posted by oneclick
the second has a smooth clamp area (good) but shows indentations at the chamfer of the bolt hole, likely from a bolt with a serrated shank.
I'm really curious about this one myself. I'm guessing it's a Cinelli 1E - basically a 1A where Cinelli swapped the knurled blind front bolt and rear Allen binder barrel for a front Allen bolt and rear knurled nut.

1A hardware (left / front of the stem - rear / back):

1E hardware - (left / rear of the stem - right / front):

Either way, it just seems like a really bad idea to design an aluminum stem that relies on a press-fit knurled bolt that's going to apply radial pressure around the structure of the stem. Not that there's a bunch of 1A's running around just fine, but given that the 1E's are less talked about and easily confused...makes you wonder.

-Kurt

Old 10-07-23, 12:24 PM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
You’ll notice they only show the spreading tool being used on steel stems
Gotta revive this older thread, after just using the coin trick to very gently spread a late 70's SR alloy stem. Besides the steel stem in the Rene Herse photo, doesn't Nitto show their spreader tool in many photos being applied to their alloy stems? Almost as an acknowledgment that's it's an okay practice? I know aluminum behaves differently from steel, and maybe the Nitto tool is safer by only spreading a minimal amount for a brief pry, but I don't recall seeing many steel Nitto stems, so I wonder how they'd make a tool known to spread the majority of their own alloy stems, without some type of disclaimer. I should add that I've used the coin method in gentle increments, only turning it bit by bit, just to get the bars over the sleeve, then quickly releasing the tension. I've never felt comfortable doing this but it does seem to be an accepted practice.
Old 10-07-23, 01:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
Gotta revive this older thread, after just using the coin trick to very gently spread a late 70's SR alloy stem. Besides the steel stem in the Rene Herse photo, doesn't Nitto show their spreader tool in many photos being applied to their alloy stems? Almost as an acknowledgment that's it's an okay practice? I know aluminum behaves differently from steel, and maybe the Nitto tool is safer by only spreading a minimal amount for a brief pry, but I don't recall seeing many steel Nitto stems, so I wonder how they'd make a tool known to spread the majority of their own alloy stems, without some type of disclaimer. I should add that I've used the coin method in gentle increments, only turning it bit by bit, just to get the bars over the sleeve, then quickly releasing the tension. I've never felt comfortable doing this but it does seem to be an accepted practice.
Yep, I have one of their tools and have never found it very useful for the shape and bend of it but it can help sometimes, it seems to be designed to limit the force it can deliver, likely with good reason.

I have several other persuaders of various levels of severity, patience and caution are key as with so many things in the C+V universe.
Old 10-07-23, 02:49 PM
oneclick 

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
1. I generally bin Nitto stems (in my parts-bin). I think Nitto is highly overrated. How the heck do you make stems and handlebars for an eternity and still make them so heavy.
By staying in business?

Because your parts don't break?
Old 10-07-23, 07:36 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
I've seen several cinelli quill stems overtightened from 26.4 to 26 and crack. Plus the bolts always seem to fail.
I have never seen a nitto stem crack, and the old ones have all been abused every which way.
Nitto do extensive cycles of stress testing on their parts. It's pretty cool if you look at a video of their factory.
I've also never seen the more common Sakae Ringyo ones crack. I don't think the decent stockier quills are prone to break at all.
Periodic inspection, cleaning, careful hand on the wrench, and grease, makes for a safer install of a steering system than most people have.

I'll scrap vintage handlebars with much gouging, which sometimes pains me to do, but that is a real danger.
Old 10-07-23, 07:43 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
DON'T MESS AROUND!

You don't want to become a candidate for the award do you? "Hey watch this"...
Unlike steel, aluminum can only be bent or deformed a small amount before it looses a critical amount of strength and reliability caused by sometimes undetectable cracks and stresses which can lead to unpredictable catastrophic failure!

With 20-40 year old used stems, you may never know what they've been through.

I've never understood why some folks who've spent hundreds to thousands of dollars on a bike and components want to save a few bucks on something so mission critical as the bars and stem???

verktyg HEY WATCH THIS!
If you're gonna scrap everything which is moderately sketchy then you're gonna be scrapping a lot of good rideable bikes than ordinary people enjoy.
Every wheel the brake track is past the wear indicator.
Every fork with a steerer threaded too long.
Every bike with a carbon fork more than 5 years old.
Practically every helmet in existence.
Practically every department store bike.
etc etc etc

I don't consider that reasonable.

With old nice parts (like a nitto quill stem) I like to sensibly relegate them to cheaper, more chill bikes as they get more beat up.
The bike you trust going 80 km/h down a mountain doesn't have to be the same one you pick up fish and chips with.
Likes For Soody:
Old 10-07-23, 10:26 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
What I really wanna know is...did the OP bin his Nitto, or not? Kinda on the edge of my seat!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 10-08-23, 05:29 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
I've seen several cinelli quill stems overtightened from 26.4 to 26 and crack. Plus the bolts always seem to fail.
I have never seen a nitto stem crack, and the old ones have all been abused every which way.
Nitto do extensive cycles of stress testing on their parts. It's pretty cool if you look at a video of their factory.
I've also never seen the more common Sakae Ringyo ones crack. I don't think the decent stockier quills are prone to break at all.
Periodic inspection, cleaning, careful hand on the wrench, and grease, makes for a safer install of a steering system than most people have.

I'll scrap vintage handlebars with much gouging, which sometimes pains me to do, but that is a real danger.
I've used gentle levering to remove a number of stems from bars. The nature of the lever, be it a flat screwdriver, not-too-thick 10 mm open-end, Nitto-like lever, or a coin used to press open with a bolt in the relevant treading, but limit your pressure to open the clamp only as is necessary for a slightly slippy disengagement. Over-squeezing any kind of lever, just like over-torquing a torque wrench just to see "now what can this baby do?" (I call that a Tim Taylor) can create damage which did not previously exist.

Last edited by Road Fan; 10-08-23 at 05:33 AM.