Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A stunning mystery bike on San Fran CL

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A stunning mystery bike on San Fran CL

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 02:05 PM
bicyforev

Bikes: A 1988 "3 Rensho" (San Rensho) Katana and an Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbrstar
What's the little post on the head tube for, Is it for a light? I don't think I have seen that before.
The peg is on the head tube is for a pump. The lugs look like those of a 3 Rensho (pronounced San Rensho). Certainly not a color I recognize.
Likes For bicyforev:
Old 05-17-21, 03:06 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyforev
(pronounced san rensho)
wow it took me thirteen years on this forum to learn this
Likes For belacqua:
Old 05-17-21, 05:24 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
The peg is on the head tube is for a pump. The lugs look like those of a 3 Rensho (pronounced San Rensho). Certainly not a color I recognize.
3rensho lugs are beautiful - in fact I'd put them up against all but the finest custom frame makers in many cases (IMHO). This is one of those finest of custom frame makers; these lugs are in another league.

3resnho was putting out between 900-1200 frames per year (with a 5 man shop or so..) there's simply no way they would have the amount of time required to produce lug work like this.
Old 05-17-21, 06:52 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 328 Posts
OP: Entirely separate from the frame craftsmanship (I also noticed the lug thickness thinning at the borders, stunning):
- Half step plus granny chainrings
- 36 hole 3X spoke lacing
- I believe also double socketed rims (double wall, with a steel cup tying inner and outer walls together, riveted to the inner wall, drastically improving fatigue strength of the rim); heavier but durable.
Old 05-17-21, 09:20 PM
gravelinmygears 

Bikes: 64 Cinelli, 81 Merz, Haral

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 69 Posts
The posting is gone.
Old 05-19-21, 03:09 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
The posting is gone.
Sorry to hear that, I take it you didn't get it?
Old 05-19-21, 08:09 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Sold? or the seller decided to revise the ad with a much higher asking price?
Old 05-19-21, 08:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Remains to be seen, or not.
Old 05-19-21, 10:02 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Peter Johnson et al

On first glance, Peter Johnson came to mind, especially seeing that the bike was on San Francisco CL, .

The frame is sort of nondescript in the sense that it's an extremely well finished frame but nothing stands out to point to a particular builder, especially in the SF Bay Area...

There was a lot of "cross pollination" between Peter Johnson and Tom Ritchey that went all the way back to their high school days.

The color isn't something that I would expect from Peter, but whomever built the frame, it was probably the owner's choice.

Here's a link with some photos of Peter's work.

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Peter_Johnson.htm

Scroll down to the light blue bike and compare the lugs with the SF CL bike.

Compare with Tom Ritchey's work:

Tom Ritchey, main

Peter didn't build anywhere near as many frames as Ritchey but they have more "panache"

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-19-21 at 11:24 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-19-21, 11:03 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

3 Rensho Lugs

The lugs look like those of a 3 Rensho (pronounced San Rensho).
Originally Posted by belacqua
wow it took me thirteen years on this forum to learn this
Originally Posted by tendency
3rensho lugs are beautiful - in fact I'd put them up against all but the finest custom frame makers in many cases (IMHO). This is one of those finest of custom frame makers; these lugs are in another league.

3resnho was putting out between 900-1200 frames per year (with a 5 man shop or so..) there's simply no way they would have the amount of time required to produce lug work like this.
3Rensho, main

By the late 1970's, 3 Rensho was using investment cast lugs. These required a lot less hand filling plus provided a much closer fit with the tubing.

BTW, here's a sketch that shows what they used for lugs and tubing on their "standard" frames in 1979. Tubing was Ishiwata 019 main tubes with 022 forks and stays, Tange cast lugs and Suntour dropouts:

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-19-21 at 11:51 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-19-21, 11:47 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
FWIW, I never heard back from the seller. I would have loved to have added this bike to the collection, too.
Old 05-21-21, 05:47 AM
tendency

Originally Posted by verktyg
3Rensho, main

By the late 1970's, 3 Rensho was using investment cast lugs. These required a lot less hand filling plus provided a much closer fit with the tubing.

BTW, here's a sketch that shows what they used for lugs and tubing on their "standard" frames in 1979. Tubing was Ishiwata 019 main tubes with 022 forks and stays, Tange cast lugs and Suntour dropouts:

verktyg
Little thread hijack here .. very cool drawing of the frame and lugs that were used on early stock frames. Where'd you come across this? 3rensho used a wide variety of lugs from the research I've done. Later, by the early to mid 80s or so, many of his bikes were using Yoshi's own investment cast lugs that he created. It does clearly appear though (and certainly backed up by your drawing) that a certain percentage of their frames were using 'stock' Tange lugging.

On a side note, the '83 specialized Allez that I have which was built by 3rensho looks to be built using their own lugs. They are similar to the Tange ones from their early 80s catalog but there are noticeable differences in the design and workmanship.

Last edited by tendency; 05-21-21 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-21-21, 05:17 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

3Rensho

Originally Posted by tendency
.. very cool drawing of the frame and lugs that were used on early stock frames. Where'd you come across this?

3rensho used a wide variety of lugs from the research I've done. Later, by the early to mid 80s or so, many of his bikes were using Yoshi's own investment cast lugs that he created. It does clearly appear though (and certainly backed up by your drawing) that a certain percentage of their frames were using 'stock' Tange lugging.
I met with Shin and Yoshi Konno plus another member of their company - CYCLONE Limited - at the 1979 New York International Bicycle Show.

It was their first visit to the US and they were looking for an importer. Their booth was across from ours and I got involved with them in part because I spoke Japanese and helped them with translations.

They left me with the three frames that they brought with them for the show. They were spectacular builds but they were 50cm-52cm frames plus 2 of them were track bikes so it was hard to develop much interest in an unknown small Japanese producer with the likes of Centurion, Nishiki, Fuji and others already successfully in the US market.

Additionally the prices at time were 30%+ higher than the prevailing US market and shipping plus import costs would have pushed them up another 10%-15%...

Sadly I left the bike industry later that year and my efforts died on the vine...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-21-21, 07:07 PM
tendency

I met with Shin and Yoshi Konno plus another member of their company - CYCLONE Limited - at the 1979 New York International Bicycle Show.

It was their first visit to the US and they were looking for an importer. Their booth was across from ours and I got involved with them in part because I spoke Japanese and helped them with translations.

They left me with the three frames that they brought with them for the show. They were spectacular builds but they were 50cm-52cm frames plus 2 of them were track bikes so it was hard to develop much interest in an unknown small Japanese producer with the likes of Centurion, Nishiki, Fuji and others already successfully in the US market.

Additionally the prices at time were 30%+ higher than the prevailing US market and shipping plus import costs would have pushed them up another 10%-15%...

Sadly I left the bike industry later that year and my efforts died on the vine...

verktyg
Wow great story! I've spoken a bit to Andy Muzi over at Yellow Jersey bicycles here in Wisconsin who, as you probably know, ended up being the 3rensho importer for the states. Good to always learn more thanks again!
Old 05-21-21, 07:40 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Their booth was across from ours and I got involved with them in part because I spoke Japanese and helped them with translations.

verktyg
What’s the story behind that? Spend time in Japan? Military? College? I studied it for a few years and spent some time in Nagoya.
Old 05-22-21, 08:48 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts

verktyg
"...study with your kind smile, which I still remember quite vividly."

Maybe some of the phrasing comes from a translation, but I do enjoy the more elegant communication. Very different from the "u tk $50?" I sometimes get now.
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 06-26-21, 07:10 PM
gravelinmygears 

I bought the bike

I asked Peter Johnson if he built the bike and he said no. He thinks that it’s a Tom Richey maybe from the 80s. He took one look at the seat cluster and said it had to be Tom. Others have said Otis Guy.

Likes For gravelinmygears:
Old 06-26-21, 07:33 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Pull the fork - perhaps there is some sort of identification information on the steerer tube.

DD
Old 06-26-21, 07:35 PM
gravelinmygears 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Pull the fork - perhaps there is some sort of identification information on the steerer tube.

DD
I thought of that. There’s nothing on the tube.
Old 06-26-21, 08:03 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelinmygears
I thought of that. There’s nothing on the tube.
Pix are great, but for once I'd rather hear "the rest of the story!"
Old 06-26-21, 08:07 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Since you got one of the best of the best (even though we don't know yet who built it), it will be all down hill if you want to continue looking for more classic frames . And you already have a custom built to you so there isn't going to be improvement there. This is when someone in your position starts to think maybe a new gravel or randonneuring bike?
Old 06-26-21, 08:12 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
I think if Peter Johnson says it "has to be Tom" he's one to know! Glad to see that it finally went to you gravelinmygears after all that drama and uncertainty! I'm sure yours is a happy resting place for this bike, Cheers and enjoy it!
Old 06-26-21, 08:46 PM
gravelinmygears 

Golden ticket

To make a veeeeery long story short, the seller finally replied to my email and agreed to walk it down to a shop for payment and shipping.

I’m disappointed that it’s not a Peter Johnson. I liked that idea. I’ll keep exploring to see if there are any more clues. I tried to post it on the CR list but it didn’t work. Unapproved maybe?

It is a beautiful frame and the close triple is interesting! There’s lots to explore.
Old 06-26-21, 08:48 PM
gravelinmygears 

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Since you got one of the best of the best (even though we don't know yet who built it), it will be all down hill if you want to continue looking for more classic frames . And you already have a custom built to you so there isn't going to be improvement there. This is when someone in your position starts to think maybe a new gravel or randonneuring bike?
Only bike left on my list is a California Masi.

That’s kind of foolish to say though. I’d really like a Peter Johnson. And a rainbow traut. And a nice Japanese builder bike. I do try to get rid of bikes before I get new ones tho.

Last edited by gravelinmygears; 06-26-21 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-26-21, 09:05 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
You can contact Otis Guy through the museum if you care to...
https://mmbhof.org/contact-us/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.