Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Santa Cruz Heckler

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Santa Cruz Heckler

Old 06-15-21, 10:49 PM
Swampgas

Bikes: 1980 Holdsworth Professional, 1990 Trek 9XX, 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Santa Cruz Heckler

I have a 20" 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler that I built up and used for a little while then got too busy with other pursuits to ride much so it has sat unused for a long time. At the time this was about as good as it got with Marzocchi Bam Z-2 fork, Cane Creek AD-10 shock, Race Face Competition cranks, Shimano XTR rear derailleur and XT front, XT shifters, Chris King headset, Speedplay Frog TI pedals, Avid 2.0 brakes (though frame has mounts for discs which were still not quite ready back then), Thomson seat post, Synchros stem and bars, a Selle Italia seat with Ti rails and Mavic 517 rims and XT hubs. All black on black on black and in great shape. Of course since then wheel sizes have changed a few times and I guess some people are even electrifying their rides but this is still a solid bike. I'm curious if there is a market for lightly used bikes of this era or is riding on 26" wheels about as yesteryear as a bike with a banana seat?
Old 06-16-21, 08:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Swampgas
...is riding on 26" wheels about as yesteryear as a bike with a banana seat?
Yes.

Your market may be some teenage kid.
Old 06-16-21, 11:15 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
I have a 95 or so, but don't think the market is very interested in 26" bikes.
Old 06-16-21, 08:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
It is not a big market but there is a market most people want more modern stuff but I know some folks who would be interested and if the bike was more my size (it seems like it could be big but haven't actually seen or test ridden so don't know) I might be interested.
Old 06-16-21, 08:44 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I think the 26 market is small. As with most things people go for what's new and trending, even if the application would suit something other. Its a general fear of uncertainty or standing out and why so many crowd source all their upgrade choices, even paint colors.

But... there are those who still ride them. I have two (three including my fatbike).

Sounds like a nice bike.
Old 06-17-21, 08:45 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
As a bike to ride.... probably not that great by today’s standards.

However, the bike might actually have a little bit of collector value. Not a lot, but some. It was one of the best bikes out at the time, though I think that is more understood in retrospect than at the time. The frame is one of the first FS frames that did not suck, and it was a design that would prove very effective and successful for a number of years.

And the fork is one of the early Marzocchis that showed just how crappy everything else was. They were the start of forks that did not suck.

Of course, at this age who knows what shape the shack and fork are in.
Old 06-18-21, 07:29 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
I still have one of these from '02 or '03. IT was one of the last that shared the appearance of the Superlighjt before they made the Heckler a little burlier

Mine still puts in work occasionally as a backup bike. I dont know how much it is worth, but the bike is still a capable machine if the maintenance is current on it. The last time i rode it was on a pretty easy trail (but still one that rewarded a dual suspension bike) , but it still brought the smiles. .

WAs seriously contemplating stripping it and having it powder coated in a color my girlfriend would like and making her a Juliana equivalent out of it. She is not crazy interested in the sport but would love to have a bike for occasional weekend forays ---- but -- if its still a bike that is serious enough that it definitely wont hold back a beginner or novice from discoverng and enjoying the sport
Old 06-18-21, 10:04 AM
Swampgas

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When I think back to the very basic steel hardtail I started mountain biking with and winning races on it boggles the mind to think of this as a beginner bike. Then I look at the current offerings from Santa Cruz; travel over 6 inches, weights as low as road bikes used to be, no front derailleur, rear cogs the size of what I know front cranks to be, electric motors (seriously??) No wonder this seems about as cool as if it had a basket, reflectors, a dork ring and a bike flag.
Old 06-18-21, 10:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
I'm retaining the "95" as a backup to my 2005 Superlite which was expected to need replacement after 1500+ rides and 20,000+ miles, but still soldiers along on three weekly rides (except vacation weeks when it's ridden daily).
Old 06-18-21, 11:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

When I think back to the very basic steel hardtail I started mountain biking with and winning races on it boggles the mind to think of this as a beginner bike. Then I look at the current offerings from Santa Cruz; travel over 6 inches, weights as low as road bikes used to be, no front derailleur, rear cogs the size of what I know front cranks to be, electric motors (seriously??) No wonder this seems about as cool as if it had a basket, reflectors, a dork ring and a bike flag.
Got pics?
Old 06-18-21, 11:32 AM
Swampgas

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Got pics?
Of the steel hardtail, the Heckler or the dorky banana seat bike?
Old 06-18-21, 12:19 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Of the steel hardtail, the Heckler or the dorky banana seat bike?
Dude, I just wrote a whole post gushing over the Heckler, what do you think?

Banana seat bikes and 90's HTs are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-18-21, 12:23 PM
Swampgas

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I am thinking of converting it to a hardtail and putting a banana seat and sissy bar on it. I post some pics before I do that to it though.
Old 06-18-21, 01:58 PM
Swampgas

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Maybe some streamers from the bar ends to go with the banana seat, white wicker basket (with plastic flower) and a tiny license plate with my name on it would make this cool again.
Likes For Swampgas:
Old 06-18-21, 02:43 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
While you're figuring it out, at least take off the frog pedals and sell those. There's still a robust market for them, especially now that you can't get them new anymore. And if you're trying to maximize value, parting out some of the other stuff on the bike might get you more than trying to sell it whole.