Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Multiple Bikes in Garmin Connect

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-24-21, 09:56 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts

I use the same 830 Edge on two bikes, a road bike and an hybrid. Both have profiles in the device and I select the proper profile before each ride. I have separate speed and cadence sensors on each bike, but use the same heart monitor. Both bikes are also included as separate cycling gear in Garmin Connect. But Connect lumps all rides together under the road bike. I haven't figured out how to have Connect read or record the data from the device profile according to the profile from the device.

Any tips? Thanks.

Mike
Old 06-24-21, 05:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
The concept of the Edge being able to work with multiple bikes, and the gear tracking in Connect, are completely separate. You have to manually enter the gear (bike, anything else) you used in Connect. You can set one bike as your default and it sounds like you've done this with your road bike, so you only have to edit things when you were on the hybrid.

I know it should be able to do it. But it can't and that's what you have to do if you want the mileage breakdown by bike.
Old 06-24-21, 07:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Theres a setting in Activity Profiles on the device (at least its on a 1030) to set for a different ride activity, Road, Mountain, etc..... that info. ports to Connect and is shown in a particular ride activity. On the attached photo, its showing a Road ride or a Mountain ride. You have no options to change how that is labeled, but I'm told this info. gets sent to Strava, but does not go to RWGPS.

Old 06-25-21, 12:43 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Folks, thanks for the feedback. I like that the Edge device lets me pick the profile for each bike. Seattle Forrest's insight that Connect should be able to keep track of each profile separately is consistent with my expectation. But is not what happens. I will have to work with it some more. My Connect editing skills, like many things, are lamentably deficient. When I try to edit and pick the hybrid bike it wants to make that bike the default bike. I am sure I eventually will be able to beat it into submission, but not quite yet. All the data is in Connect under road bike. My activity screen does not look like Steve B's with the break out for road and mountain bike, but that may be a difference between the 830 and 1030 devices.

I will call Garmin next week if I can't get the data to fly in a formation I want.

Mike
Old 06-25-21, 12:55 PM
Catnmandoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"My activity screen does not look like Steve B's with the break out for road and mountain bike, but that may be a difference between the 830 and 1030 devices."

Interesting. I only recently learned that the 1030 was able to send this Default Ride Type data as set in the 1030 to Connect, I learned it from a guy with an 830 on the Edge Face Book page who does it on an 830. No picture of what his screen looks like though.

Problem may be that while Connect lets you see the Default Ride Type data as recorded per ride on the device, it doesn't mean they let you do anything useful with this, like tell Connect that this ride was on a particular bike. Garmin has issues with understanding what features would be useful to people and incorporating to future OS updates. They suck at this actually.
Old 06-25-21, 04:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

IcySwan1

Aware you using Connect as a website in your browser, or an app on a phone or tablet?

Either way, you can edit what gear you used from the activity screen. How you do it depends which version you're using. It isn't very obvious, but once you find it it's easy to do.

The screenshot above is the activities list, what you want is the screen for one particular activity. The way they named the two screens like that is a little confusing.
Old 06-25-21, 07:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
The screen shot is mine from the web Connect. I don't see any other place on the web Connect app where you see that Mountain Biking vs. Road Cycling information. I see no method to isolate by those activities.
Old 06-25-21, 09:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

connect.garmin.com/modern/activities?activityType=cycling
I tried changing that to road cycling with and without a space, url encoded, it errors out.

If you go to the gear page, it can show you the last bunch of roses you've used your MTB or road bike for. But you have to tell it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-28-21, 05:13 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Yep. After the ride exit the gear to pick the bicycle. This way if you have multiple road or mountain bikes you can select the one you want. I have All Bicycles for the default and then add the specific bike after the ride.