Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any decent soldering irons/guns?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Any decent soldering irons/guns?

Old 07-13-21, 03:21 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Commentary on Leisesturm's comment on my earlier post.

Stop licking your work!

Yes, lead can be bad for you if you ingest/inhale it in large concentrations. Melting it as solder is a rather insignificant way.

AND STOP EATING THOSE PAINT CHIPS!!

Last edited by speedy25; 07-13-21 at 03:22 PM. Reason: no quote
Old 07-13-21, 03:32 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Not sure, whatever came on the Bafang BBSHD. Tinning the wires prior to soldering is a great help. Think I used flux as well.
Well the wires coming out of the Bafang are fairly narrow gauge. I’m trying to solder in 12AWG, which from what I’ve read is a lot more demanding in terms of heat needed to apply. Would have ordered the Hakko with its convenient temperature control but reviews noted the horrible digital interface.

Already have tinning, flux, HelpingHands etc. RadioShack gun is on its way.
Old 07-13-21, 03:45 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
Well the wires coming out of the Bafang are fairly narrow gauge. I’m trying to solder in 12AWG, which from what I’ve read is a lot more demanding in terms of heat needed to apply. Would have ordered the Hakko with its convenient temperature control but reviews noted the horrible digital interface.

Already have tinning, flux, HelpingHands etc. RadioShack gun is on its way.
you won't have any issue with 12 gauge wire. Especially if you tin them first. The solder will flow into the wire pretty easily if you dip it in flux first. I've soldered 8 and 10 gauge connections on cars before. Bigger than that and it is propane torch time.

the Hakko interface is quirky. I accidently reprogrammed the temperature calibration when I first got it, pretty common error, but with a bit of digging found the reset procedure on line. But once up and running it is easy to use. Good unit, well worth the money. I wouldn't pass on it for that reason. I got it more for PCB boards though, use the cheap 40 watt unit on car projects.

Soldering irons are like a religion with some people.
Old 07-13-21, 04:20 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Maybe not ever better, but not necessarily any worse. The point is moot in any case. Neither you nor I can tell Weller what to do. IF the Mexican (or Chinese) factory makes inferior products going forward that is because those were the design specs they were given! They build what they are told to build, to the tolerances they are told to build to and with the raw materials that they are told to use. Everybody wants American made. It's all I see online ... I'm giving this one star because I just found out it's made in China! Big shock. Ya think? NOTHING is entirely made in the US anymore that you and I buy. You can't afford American made! Not even Harley-Davidson's were going to be affordable anymore at American labor costs. What you should have a problem with is the system that ALLOWS Weller to continue being traded on American stock exchanges, keep their corporate offices in nice American cities, pay ZERO taxes to the IRS ... oops that was getting dangerously close to P&R ... but so were you.
Well, not true. 40+ years in quality assurance and decades outsourcing. You are wrong. So wrong.
Old 07-13-21, 04:33 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Soldering irons are like a religion with some people.
Amen to that, brother!