Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GoPro external power option

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 08:36 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts

I have two GoPro cameras on my bike - one forward facing, one rearward facing. However, I found the battery life wasn't all that great, especially in hot weather, and stopping to change batteries (and carrying extras) was becoming a PIA.
I found some aftermarket battery doors on Amazon that have openings to allow you to plug in a USB cable to power the cameras externally. Of course, they are no longer waterproof with that option, but I seldom ride in the rain, and if I get caught out, I bring Ziplock baggies.
My Garmin is on an 'out front' mount, with the optional external Garmin battery pack underneath. I run a USB from that to the front camera. For the rear camera, I picked up an Anker PowerCore 5000 and used some Garmin mounts (with bands) and cellphone case adapter mounts around the seatpost and pack to attach it under the saddle, and run a USB cable to the rear camera.
It works great! Not having to stop to change batteries is such a relief. I was always concerned that the battery would die before I got a chance to change it out, and of course, that would be when some incident occurred that I would have wanted to get on video.
Old 07-08-21, 08:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I have two GoPro cameras on my bike w/ external power
love your dedication to the features & benefits that you value! got any pics?
Old 07-08-21, 03:24 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
love your dedication to the features & benefits that you value! got any pics?
Thanks. I value the cameras ever since I was struck from behind by a vehicle that decided to just drive off. Video goes a long way.
Front setup with Garmin 1030 on top, Garmin external power pack below on out front mount. USB from the external pack powers the GoPro, which mounts on a bracket that also accepts a Bontrager Flare daytime headlamp.
Rear setup uses the Anker external supply with two Garmin 1/4 turn self-adhesive phone case mounts and two handlebar 1/4 turn mounts on pack and seat post. USB runs under the saddle to the GoPro, mounted on an extender arm under the seat bag. A Varia radar unit mounts below the arm mount on the seat post.

Old 07-08-21, 03:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Thanks. I value the cameras ever since I was struck from behind by a vehicle that decided to just drive off. Video goes a long way.
wow, glad you are OK & still riding! cameras won't protect you from that but I see their value, after the fact! impressive setup!
Old 07-15-21, 06:34 PM
PedalCell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Front setup with Garmin 1030 on top, Garmin external power pack below on out front mount. USB from the external pack powers the GoPro, which mounts on a bracket that also accepts a Bontrager Flare daytime headlamp.
Rear setup uses the Anker external supply with two Garmin 1/4 turn self-adhesive phone case mounts and two handlebar 1/4 turn mounts on pack and seat post. USB runs under the saddle to the GoPro, mounted on an extender arm under the seat bag. A Varia radar unit mounts below the arm mount on the seat post.
Love this setup. Did you by chance look at Cycliq's cameras too? The GoPros certainly would do the job but just curious about your thoughts on dashcams made for bikes.
Old 07-15-21, 07:01 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by PedalCell
Love this setup. Did you by chance look at Cycliq's cameras too? The GoPros certainly would do the job but just curious about your thoughts on dashcams made for bikes.
There have been several threads on various platforms regarding the Cycliq cameras. The "new" versions have had complaints of water intrusion, leading to camera failure. Cycliq customer service, according to those that have needed it, is not exactly exemplary.
Old 07-15-21, 07:09 PM
PedalCell

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There have been several threads on various platforms regarding the Cycliq cameras. The "new" versions have had complaints of water intrusion, leading to camera failure. Cycliq customer service, according to those that have needed it, is not exactly exemplary.
Oof didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-16-21, 05:49 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by PedalCell
Oof didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up!
Just be aware that once you change the door on the GoPro to allow the external power cable to attach, the camera is no longer waterproof, so if it starts to rain on a ride, you MUST stop and either reinstall the original door with an internal battery, or stuff the cam inside a plastic bag.
Old 07-16-21, 07:15 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My camera sits inside a waterproof case, so it would be very hard to run external power to it. However, I did buy a set of batteries for it (since the one which came with it seems to be going bad, dies after around an hour) so I can keep going for a while. However, it's a PITA that every time I install a new battery I have to reset the date/time on the camera. All the rest of the settings remain the same, but for some reason the clock doesn't appear to be backed up.
Old 07-16-21, 09:05 AM
PedalCell

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just be aware that once you change the door on the GoPro to allow the external power cable to attach, the camera is no longer waterproof, so if it starts to rain on a ride, you MUST stop and either reinstall the original door with an internal battery, or stuff the cam inside a plastic bag.
Very true, especially on USB-C equipped GoPros (and other devices). Electrolysis (rapid corrosion of pins) is quite common due to the close proximity of the USB-C pins. It can definitely cause some serious damage to the port so I'd go with a bag/cover in the wet, if possible! Could be a good idea for a new type of bag with a lens cut out of some sort 🤔