Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How much pitting is too much? Pedals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 08:24 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts

Only torn down one pedal so far and derusted. I was hoping to use these OEM pedals but it’s not looking good. These are the outer bearing surfaces (inners aren’t too bad). Is this just not worth messing with any further? Or would I maybe get decent life out of them if the inner bearing surfaces aren’t bad? Haven’t really dealt with much pitting in my bike ventures to this point - figure I should toss these in the bin for spare parts but if anyone’s got ideas I’m all ears. Of course I’d use new balls if I do rebuild them, just don’t want to waste my time and lose my bearings…

Old 07-27-21, 09:17 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
I'd be looking for some new pedals. You might get a few more miles out of these while you look but they're well on there way out. Actually, they're gone.

Last edited by Hobbiano; 07-27-21 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added some words
Old 07-28-21, 12:04 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by AJI125
Only torn down one pedal so far and derusted. I was hoping to use these OEM pedals but it’s not looking good. These are the outer bearing surfaces (inners aren’t too bad). Is this just not worth messing with any further? Or would I maybe get decent life out of them if the inner bearing surfaces aren’t bad? Haven’t really dealt with much pitting in my bike ventures to this point - figure I should toss these in the bin for spare parts but if anyone’s got ideas I’m all ears. Of course I’d use new balls if I do rebuild them, just don’t want to waste my time and lose my bearings…

Agreed with these being pretty bad, BUT new bearings are cheap, like our own labor.

I often use regular thick axle grease and set these up just a bit loose when a build or a bike doesn't warrant or I don't want to give up on a part like this.

You can get a lot of life out of these if you want, albeit with a little compromise.

Never say die!
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-28-21, 12:57 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Depends what the purpose is. How many bikes do you have? You can usually get some really good Japanese pedals for fairly cheap ($20).

I would fully overhaul these, polish the cages, and use them on a flip. I wouldn't adjust them loose, because loose pedals tend to knock, which is incredibly annoying even if it's slight.

@Mad Honk would file the cone and maybe the race as well.
Old 07-28-21, 01:10 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Depends what the purpose is. How many bikes do you have? You can usually get some really good Japanese pedals for fairly cheap ($20).

I would fully overhaul these, polish the cages, and use them on a flip. I wouldn't adjust them loose, because loose pedals tend to knock, which is incredibly annoying even if it's slight.

Like I said, a bit loose, tiny bit, no knock, minimal grind, patience grasshopper.
Old 07-28-21, 01:15 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
a bit loose, tiny bit, no knock, minimal grind, patience grasshopper.
I have no patience for loose pedals!

"Now snatch the [pedal] from my hand."
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-28-21, 04:31 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Agreed with these being pretty bad, BUT new bearings are cheap, like our own labor.

I often use regular thick axle grease and set these up just a bit loose when a build or a bike doesn't warrant or I don't want to give up on a part like this.

You can get a lot of life out of these if you want, albeit with a little compromise.

Never say die!
This. Likely last years and you won't notice anything.
What have you got to lose?
Likes For blamester:
Old 07-28-21, 05:20 AM
AJI125 

Never say die!
Sounds like I need to go get some axle grease and give this a try. Thanks!

Likes For AJI125:
Old 07-28-21, 05:28 AM
AJI125 

As I was messing with this first pedal and looking at the bearing surfaces I thought of his headset thread too. Currently enough rideable bikes and this is an early 70s mostly period correct build in mind. And enough spare pedals laying around to get me moving at least. I think this is worth a shot but not stuck on these for the build, as it seems easy enough to find MKS and KKT pedals from the 1970s or so, and these are just (neat looking and OEM) steel cage MKS Unique Road quills.
Likes For AJI125:
Old 07-28-21, 11:45 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Toast.
But, I would measure and see if you could remove the race and sub a annular contact cartridge bearing. will need a jam nut to replace the cone.
Old 07-28-21, 04:37 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
It might be an interesting experiment to see just how long it takes for the pitting to advance to a stage where there is no question about whether they are suitable for use. Make sure you keep track of the miles and check the pedal regularly.

Practically... I wouldn't use them for rides of any length, but I've got plenty of spare pedals that are in good shape.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-28-21, 07:07 PM
Mr.Toolbox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Put in new balls and new grease (new cones if you have ) and ride on. I have pedals that are worn as well but I just ride on.
Old 07-28-21, 07:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
What pedals are those? I've found that Campagnolo pedal cones can often be found, and will interchange with some other cones, e.g. Gipiemme, Ofmega, Miche. The cups in the pedal body appear to be in decent condition.
Old 07-28-21, 07:53 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
As the few around here have said I would look at the cones and races carefully and determine if they are bad enough to toss the pedals. The biggest problem is the amount of weight per ball bearing used during a ride. The pedals are normally pretty durable and I have even talked wit a fellow who switched to Ceramic balls in his pedals. He is riding cross country on his bike and goes from co-op to co-op to get around. Ceramic balls need no lubrication but cost $5+ to start. But the upside is no maintenance. With old school pedals it is not always an option to grind the soft metal of the cones down to get them smooth again. Being soft steel they may not hold the polishing well. The outer races can be easily polished but the cones are a bit problematic. Smiles, MH
Old 07-28-21, 08:26 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have no patience for loose pedals!

"Now snatch the [pedal] from my hand."
prehistoric float
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-10-21, 08:59 PM
AJI125 

Finally got some axle grease and rebuilt with new bearings (had a week vacation mixed in there too). Needed to get them done and off the workbench. The bad one shown in the pictures is going to need more adjustment (or maybe just toast). It either knocks slightly or grinds. The other pedal was surprisingly great with little pitting if any and spinning smoothly now. These are MKS Unique Road pedals from around 1972 (Campy copies apparently).

I also found some interesting 1970s MKS Unique Royal pedals on the ‘bay for relatively cheap so I’m gonna check them out and see how they compare, and maybe swap a cone if they’re built the same (or just use them).