Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 06-03-21, 09:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 380 Posts
Two winners streaming for free on Prime Video.

Hitsville - The Making of Motown, documentary about Motown's beginnings and history in Detroit until it moved its operation to LA. Fantastic music and talent were nurtured there by Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson et al. Gordy developed the stars but he was convinced to change with the times by some of his biggest acts, particularly Marin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Diana Ross. 10/10. Great archival film of the acts at the Apollo in the early 60's, and other venues as well as TV appearances and film of the recording operation at the original home of Motown at 2648 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit.

Whitney: Can I Be Me, a documentary about the life and career of Whitney Houston. 9.5/10. I will always love Whitney. Great material on her relationship with Bobby Brown including a super duet filmed in Leipzig from the 1999 tour.

Both are Showtime documentaries for free this June only on Prime Video.
Old 06-07-21, 08:26 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 161 Posts
I watched Midway (1976 version), since the battle occurred during this past weekend. It still holds up okay. There are some historical inaccuracies and some of the file footage shows aircraft that would not have been in service yet. It would be interesting to see an updated version of this movie with some CGI as opposed to the 2019 release which looks like a video game. 7/10
Old 06-08-21, 11:52 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
harold & maude & the red violin. both rate a 9.
Never saw the Red Violin, but Harold and Maude is a classic. Bud Cort was in a few movies in that time period that I like. Brewster McCloud, and the Strawberry Statement to name a few.

I find the late 60's, and early 70's woefully underrepresented in film lore. Just as it was a great time for music, it was for film as well.

Grit...... Get Carter 1971, a classic! I bought the Blu Ray. Have seen it before. Dark, excellent.
Old 06-09-21, 10:49 AM
OlivsGirip

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speed 10 out of 10
Old 06-13-21, 07:01 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Cross City 3 (Escape)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Coming 2 America.
5/10.
No need for a sequel...
Old 06-13-21, 08:03 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornchips View Post
Coming 2 America.
5/10.
No need for a sequel...
I give it a 3/10, and I'll go on record saying that this movie is disappointing.
Old 06-15-21, 09:51 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 143 Posts
The missus and I just saw I, Tonya for the first time. I vaguely remember when it was first released, but the hoopla seemed to die down quickly...which kinda surprised me, because as someone who lived in Massachussetts (Nancy Kerrigan's home state) when this whole thing was going down, it was very prominant in the local news cycle.

Anyhow, very entertaining film, with an extremely clever way of breaking the 4th wall as a narrative device, and some wonderfully nuanced performances from Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, and (especially) Allison Janney. 8.75/10
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 06-17-21, 07:44 AM
heatnikki

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Extract, from the makers of Office Space. 6/10

I went into it thinking I hadn't seen it before but I remembered seeing certain parts.
I spent most of the movie thinking about the tall skinny black haired grunge looking guy, thinking I know his voice from somewhere,
Once I clicked onto who it was I was shocked, it was Erlik Bachman from Silicon Valley! damn he's let himself go!
Old 06-26-21, 11:23 AM
Clyde1820

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 226 Posts
A Life of Speed: The Juan Manuel Fangio Story (2020)

An exceptional documentary film about the great Argentine car racer Fangio. Active from 1940-1958, he was Formula One champion five times for four different teams -- 1951 (Alfa / 159), 1954 (Maserati / A6SSG), 1955 (Mercedes / W196), 1956 (Ferrari / D50), 1957 (Maserati / 250F).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6668212/
Old 07-07-21, 11:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 380 Posts
Summer of Soul.

10+ for video, commentary, editing and most of all for the music.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-07-21 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-10-21, 09:05 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 209 Posts
The Tomorrow War with Chris Pratt. It's a completely watchable adrenalin rush of a movie. Don't think too hard on it. Don't pay too much attention to logic or common sense, just eat your popcorn and watch. 6/10

Wonder Woman 1984. I didn't enjoy the first edition of this franchise. Even watching beautiful Gal Gadot run around, it just wasn't worth it to me. The wife liked the first one well enough and this movie is being shown for free (among others we may check tonight) on a promotion from our cable company. I figured I would give it a go and humor the wifey. It's literally SECONDS into the movie before (my) eye rolling started. This thing doesn't even come out of the box giving you some impression it's good. I mean, if you can't find something interesting for the first 15 minutes of a movie, or even come up with dialog that peaks an interest, what could the rest of the movie POSSIBLY have to offer?
I kept my mouth shut and endured about 20 mins in. I hear the wife mutter under her breath about that time. I look over and she is looking at me like "why haven't you stopped this yet?"
I am not even going to humor this with a rating. It is complete and total suck that Gal's charm and beauty can't overcome. Smash your toe with a sledge and spend time in the emergency room instead.
Old 07-12-21, 09:19 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Three movies over the last several days:

Rocketman - 4/10. Taron Egerton does a commendable job impersonating Elton John, and the filmmakers took a very imaginative approach to illustrating fantasy, but holy crap is the narrative arc completely devoid of any interest, or drama, or surprise...and none of the characters are engaging or deserving of empathy. At all.

Bird Box - 6.5/10. Interesting take on a supernatural horror film. I think the story might have been a bit plug'n'play, i.e., once that unique set-up was established the specifics of the story-line could have applied to any movie in the supernatural horror film genre. But some decent performances, and engaging use of flashbacks that didn't get too distracting. I will confess I was convinced I was watching an M. Night Shyamalan movie right up until the ending credits, and so kept waiting for that last-minute plot twist that never came.

EuroVision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - 7/10. I didn't go into this with any high expectations (other than feeling certain that Will Ferrell would offer a performance completely devoid of shame, and he did not disappoint) but I was pleasantly surprised by the comic delivery of Rachel McAdams. Very incisive tongue-in-cheek savaging of European pop music stereotypes; all the tunes are appropriately annoying.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 07-12-21 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 07-13-21, 05:17 AM
heatnikki

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Three Kings - 8/10

Somehow I've missed this movie, but damn glad I have got round to watching it. Brilliant stuff.
Likes For heatnikki:
Old 07-13-21, 05:26 AM
mrv 
BIKE RIDE

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 63 Posts
The Grizzly Maze - NETFLIX - it was terrible. Just bad. If you're with a group who like to heckle bad movies, this is a good candidate. You can heckle loudly, miss dialogue, you won't miss a thing.
Billy Bob Thorton. Thomas Jane (from the Expanse).
I thought it would be pretty OK. No. No. No. It was like a mash up of Jaws, The Edge (an ok Anthony Hopkins meet grizzly movie), and 90210. OK. You were warned.
- if you watch it, please 'splain to me how come NOBODY can shoot this bear when it's the world's most hugest bear ever of all time?!? They all miss - over and over and over. They deserved the mauling they got.
Old 07-13-21, 11:21 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Three movies over the last several days:

Rocketman - 4/10. Taron Egerton does a commendable job impersonating Elton John, and the filmmakers took a very imaginative approach to illustrating fantasy, but holy crap is the narrative arc completely devoid of any interest, or drama, or surprise...and none of the characters are engaging or deserving of empathy. At all.

Bird Box - 6.5/10. Interesting take on a supernatural horror film. I think the story might have been a bit plug'n'play, i.e., once that unique set-up was established the specifics of the story-line could have applied to any movie in the supernatural horror film genre. But some decent performances, and engaging use of flashbacks that didn't get too distracting. I will confess I was convinced I was watching an M. Night Shyamalan movie right up until the ending credits, and so kept waiting for that last-minute plot twist that never came.
I thought Rocketman was "ok". It was very superficial, but at the same time what can you really get in depth on with a personality and storied career that has spanned decades? It was not a movie I would choose to watch again any time soon, for sure.

Bird Box was an interesting take on a horror film, IMO. They did a great deal with little.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-14-21, 06:23 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16094 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 1,056 Posts
Black Widow. 3/5. Not the best Marvel movie. Not the worst.
Old 07-18-21, 09:43 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Cornchips View Post
Coming 2 America.
5/10.
No need for a sequel...
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
I give it a 3/10, and I'll go on record saying that this movie is disappointing.

I really wanted this movie to be even a dull shadow of the first. It did not deliver. So freaking awful. I got about 15 mins in before deciding it just wasn't worth my time.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-18-21, 10:01 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Been watching a lot of movies the last couple of days.

Siberia (2018) Got our boy Johnny Silverhand in it. (lol) This movie is ok. It is almost like a script that didn't know what it was doing with itself. Odd development along the movie. I mean, the plot get's laid on the table almost immediately and there is no real question as to what is going to happen, rather how it's going to get there. I won't say it was riveting, but at the same time I was enthralled enough to keep it on and find out what was next. I would rate it 6/10

The Informer (2019) There are a few faces you will recognize, for sure. It's one of those movies that you know what you are getting going in, and it delivers exactly as you expect. It's very watchable and worth the time. 7/10

Burn After Reading (2008) This is a fun romp of a movie. The first time I tried to watch it I just wasn't in the mind set for it, didn't like it. We revisited it the other night and it's actually quite good once it gets 'developed', as it were. I would give this one a 7/10 also.

The Son of No One (2011) Channing Tatum does pretty well with this one. It's sort of a mish mash of stuff you have seen before, but the delivery is good and completely worth a watch. 7/10

The Hunter (2012) Willem Dafoe This is a based in truth movie about a hunt for a thought extinct animal. It takes a few turns and is worth sitting through. 6/10

Leatherheads (2021) George Clooney (among others) This is a fun romp through some early days of foozball (it's the debil) adventures. Quite good, possibly the best of the recent viewings. 8/10

Donkey Punch (2009) I really didn't expect much out of this one. It's a bit out of our wheelhouse for even trying, but think it might have been the follow up "get something going" after watching Coming 2 America for a few seconds....the popcorn was getting cold. It's rather surprising as to it's viewability. 6/10

All of these are available on 'The 'zon' at least until the end of the month. Between these, the TdF, and a series called Formula 1 I have been watching on Netflix it's been a busy viewing week or so.
Old 07-18-21, 11:30 PM
gios 

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 177 Posts
The Package (1989), Amazon Prime - 8/10
Stars Gene Hackman, Joanna Cassidy (snake lady Blade Runner replicant), Tommy Lee Jones, John Heard

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002), hoopla library streaming - 10/10
Stars David Gulpilil (Walkabout (1971))

The Tracker (2002), Amazon Prime - 10/10
Another David Gulpilil film.
Likes For gios:
Old 07-26-21, 02:28 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

My Octopus Teacher - Ugh... I so wanted to like this movie, in part because both my Mom and my best friend recommended it highly, and also because the conclusions of the filmmaker roughly align with those of author Peter Godfrey-Smith in his non-fiction book Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness, which I enjoyed very much.

Sadly, the filmmaker is a sentimental wuss, and instead of spending time talking about how and why it is so amazing that this critter can be considered "intelligent" despite it being vastly removed in the evolutionary sense from any other critter that has earned that monicker, he spends his time talking about how he thinks he's forming a relationship with the critter. :::cue tiny violins:::

6/10
Old 07-29-21, 07:25 AM
bondjunior

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just watched korean movie Handmaiden 2016.
This is masterpiece, I was just washed away
10\10
Old 07-29-21, 12:29 PM
Clyde1820

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
My Octopus Teacher - Ugh... I so wanted to like this movie, in part because both my Mom and my best friend recommended it highly, and also because the conclusions of the filmmaker roughly align with those of author Peter Godfrey-Smith in his non-fiction book Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness, which I enjoyed very much.

Sadly, the filmmaker is a sentimental wuss, and instead of spending time talking about how and why it is so amazing that this critter can be considered "intelligent" despite it being vastly removed in the evolutionary sense from any other critter that has earned that monicker, he spends his time talking about how he thinks he's forming a relationship with the critter. :::cue tiny violins:::

6/10
Loved the film. Fairly unique. Tried hard to ignore the woe-is-me personal issues the guy seemed to wallow in. The engagement with that octopus was fascinating. I'd probably rate it higher, given the quality of the feature they were focusing on, even if the "sugary coating" (the guy's emotional problems) was a bit much.
Old 08-02-21, 08:01 AM
bianchi007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Hurt Locker - 6/10. Lots of suspense but quite a strange ending.
Old 08-07-21, 11:59 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Val- It is an interesting introspective film about Val and narrated (mostly) by his son, Jack. It's pretty good and certainly worth the watch even if just a mild interest in Kilmer himself.
As I often do with movies of this type, went and read up some information about him online afterward and find that much of the movie is highly skewed in his favor given certain life events and situations, as well as outside the actual order some of the things happen...IE most of the film work and his schooling and such were in order, but other life events get mentioned outside their proper timeline. Just the same, it touches on some of the reality in which he finds his career and life now. Don't feel like it had the "feel sorry for me" spin that one might expect.
Val has always been a bit quirky and the film reflects it a great deal. Recommended, even if I don't have a good benchmark by which to rate it. If you weren't interested in Kilmer there would be no reason...

The International- (2009) Clive Owen and Naomi Watts, along with loads of other faces. I had seen this long ago and recalled aspects of it, but there is a lot to digest as they build the story. It's a darned decent movie, especially with a bit of memory loss to help you along to feeling "new" again. I would certainly rate this a solid 8.
Old 08-16-21, 03:55 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

The missus and I watched two -- well, two-and-one-eighth -- movies over the weekend:

The Old Guard - Charlize Theron stars as an immortal leading a small crew of immortals who hire themselves out as mercenaries to quash violence all over the world and all throughout time. Semi-clichéd action/adventure trope with that one odd twist: They can't be killed, a-ha! Was better than expected, but not much better than what you probably imagine based on what I just described. Hat's off to Theron for once again choosing a role that doesn't rely on her being beautiful in every scene...even though she can hardly avoid it. 6/10

Bright - Remember Alien Nation with James Caan as a gristled urban detective and Mandy Patinkin as an alien from outer space (!) who was his partner? Now imagine that same setup, only instead of aliens from outer space you get all the non-human races from Lord Of The Rings. Yeah, I'm not kidding. I suppose I can imagine the 30 second elevator pitch for this film was amazing, but as soon as you got to the 5 minute Okay, Then What Happens? conversation I'm at a loss to explain how this flick got made. But the most annoying & disappointing thing about the movie wasn't the plot, it was the fact that Will Smith's character (he plays the gristled urban detective) is the Exact. Same. Character. he's played in ~40% of the movies he's ever been in. Actually, Joel Edgerton does a really good job portraying Smith's sidekick...who's an Orc. :::facepalm::: 3.5/10

Mr. Right - this is the one-eighth of a movie we watched. If that much. 20 minutes into it me and Mrs. Ross looked at each other and said in unison "This movie sucks!" 0/10

Last edited by Bob Ross; 08-16-21 at 03:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.