Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike shorts and hygiene

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike shorts and hygiene

Old 07-27-21, 06:18 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. Think of all the people who do the Great Divide race every year, or even just the route itself. They’re not doing wash every day. There are stretches where you go for days without towns.
The key is keeping the bacteria off the skin. Cleaning and ample use of Lantiseptic seems to work for me. The bibs are not the problem, they jersey gets really smelly. The leaders aren't carrying two or three sets of kit.
Old 07-27-21, 07:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The leaders aren't carrying two or three sets of kit.
Yeah. I have actually crossed paths with participants in the Great Divide race during two separate years in Montana along a paved portion of the route. (It used to be unpaved, but the Forest Service paved it around 2008 to attract more tourism to the area.) I was amazed at how little they were carrying.
Old 07-27-21, 08:09 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I agree. Long distance self supported racing isn't for the meek.
Yep.
Because wearing the same dirty bibs five days in a row is so heroic
Old 07-27-21, 10:51 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Yep.
Because wearing the same dirty bibs five days in a row is so heroic
I was so brave to respond to your disgusting comment.

OP wants to know if it is possible. Yes. Keep your butt clean and use a lot of thick lube.

Or, buy two pairs of crew skull shorts for $10 as I mentioned.

Not everyone can afford several pairs of bibs, I know in my youth, I only had one pair and toured for months on end and very frequently went 3 days without washing them, so there.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-27-21, 05:32 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I was so brave to respond to your disgusting comment.

OP wants to know if it is possible. Yes. Keep your butt clean and use a lot of thick lube.

Or, buy two pairs of crew skull shorts for $10 as I mentioned.

Not everyone can afford several pairs of bibs, I know in my youth, I only had one pair and toured for months on end and very frequently went 3 days without washing them, so there.
No, just No. Being financially challenged is not an excuse for poor hygiene!! I grew up in an area where some families had dirt floors inside their homes but these people always found a way to keep clean. Cleanliness is a choice not dependent on style, money, stature or anything else you use to justify not changing cloths for days.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 07-27-21, 06:00 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
No, just No. Being financially challenged is not an excuse for poor hygiene!! I grew up in an area where some families had dirt floors inside their homes but these people always found a way to keep clean. Cleanliness is a choice not dependent on style, money, stature or anything else you use to justify not changing cloths for days.
Just stop.

I have used my bibs (base layers, socks and jerseys at times) when I haven't done my laundry and need something for my ride. It isn't going to kill you if you have good technical clothing. Most of the time I'm fine, I have three pairs of my favorite bibs and multiple jerseys, socks, etc. but sometimes you need to make things happen.

Of course having multiple pairs is better and more pleasant and no one is arguing its not preferable, but its possible to get by with a little compromise if you need to ride.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 07-27-21, 06:18 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Just stop.

I have used my bibs (base layers, socks and jerseys at times) when I haven't done my laundry and need something for my ride. It isn't going to kill you if you have good technical clothing. Most of the time I'm fine, I have three pairs of my favorite bibs and multiple jerseys, socks, etc. but sometimes you need to make things happen.

Of course having multiple pairs is better and more pleasant and no one is arguing its not preferable, but its possible to get by with a little compromise if you need to ride.
Thanks, I rest my case, its a choice!
Old 07-27-21, 06:19 PM
GhostRider62

I guess you missed what I wrote. Keep your butt clean. THAT is not hard to do. Being in a remote area touring or racing the Tour Divide? Not so easy to wash and dry a diaper.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-27-21, 06:22 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Thanks, I rest my case, its a choice!
Yup. Some of us are more "delicate" than others. j/k (sort of).
Old 07-27-21, 06:23 PM
indyfabz

You need to take a deep breath, open your mind and read the entire thread, especially posts by the person you quoted. Otherwise, I’ll have to assume you’re too narrow minded to understand varying situations.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-27-21, 06:26 PM
GhostRider62

If someone has a tough skin on their derriere, the crew shorts aside from being very inexpensive, they dry quickly because there is no pad.
Old 07-27-21, 06:29 PM
indyfabz

I guess you missed what I wrote. Keep your butt clean. THAT is not hard to do. Being in a remote area touring or racing the Tour Divide? Not so easy to wash and dry a diaper.
Wonder if he even knows what the race is. Possibly lives under a bridge.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-27-21, 07:44 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I only bring one pair of bibs on tours and bikepacking trips that are a week long or less. I generally bring very little cloting of any type, and I avoid redundancy. Unnecessary clothing takes up a lot of space in your bags. If you are camping where showers are available, you can take your shorts with you into the shower with you to wash them . If there are no showers, you can usually find a way to clean your clothing (and yourself) almost daily, either by taking a dip in a body of water or rinsing them out in the evening. And if you have to wear them wet after washing, thats not a big deal either. The fastest way to dry clothes sometimes is simply to wear them. If its absolutely necessary to wear your shorts a few days in row, it won't hurt you. If they become unbearable, wear something else until you can wash them. You don't always have to wear cycling shorts to ride a bike.

Last edited by mihlbach; 07-27-21 at 07:49 PM.
Likes For mihlbach:
Old 07-27-21, 08:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
After a half dozen centuries with zero issues I think I’ll stick with my approach. YMMV
It's regrettable that CXWrench gave such a terse answer with no reasoning. Underwear gives you one more layer to trap moisture and to rub against, usually with seams that catch and scratch. This can lead to chaffing and saddle sores. If that's not happening to you, great, keeping doing what you're doing. That's not the case for most of us... and for me at least, it seems to become more of an issue as I age.
Old 07-29-21, 01:40 PM
indyfabz

I am supposed to head out on a long weekend trip tomorrow. There will be a shower at my campground, and the weather is supposed to be great for this area at this time of year. Sunny, breezy and relatively cool with relatively low humidity. Might even have a campfire Saturday night.

Maybe I will post some photos of my kit drying techniques when I have the time.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-29-21, 04:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
1. Hand wash the shorts in water with some liquid soap.
2. Rinse the shorts in clean water, squeeze (don't wring) shorts to remove some water.
3. Lay the shorts on a towel, roll up the towel, step all over the towel in bare feet.
4. Unroll the towel, remove the shorts from the towel, hang both to dry.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-31-21, 09:10 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I was not aware that wearing underwear was an issue?? I’ve never cycled without them and cannot think why it would a problem??
much cheaper than extra cycling shorts……
Stooppppppppppppppp!
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 07-31-21, 09:13 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
When not riding a grand tour event, I wear underwear. I also have a kickstand on my bikes (most)
gm
You brave iconoclast.
Likes For rebel1916: