Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

TSDZ2 Conversion - Quick Review

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-31-19, 02:17 PM
DAME

Bikes: '18 Trek Roscoe 8, '10 SOMA Double Cross, '12 Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm posting this because I have yet to find a dedicated review or thread of the TSDZ2 motor on bikeforums. However, endless-sphere and ****** have some good forums and discussions regarding.

I purchased a TSDZ2 motor and battery from https://recycles-ebike.com. The website isn't the best, but they were quick to reply when I had questions regarding the shipment and tracking. Overall, I received the items I ordered in a timely manner. It took about 1 week to receive the motor and about 3 weeks to receive the battery due to import HAZMAT requirements.

This is the motor I purchased: Tongsheng TSDZ2 Mid Drive Central Motor Conversion ebike Kit,Torque Sensor 48V 500W 42T Chainwheel Electric Bicycle Motor - Re-Cycles E-bikes. Total cost including shipping was $705 for both the motor and battery. There are now some kits on the website that are ~$600.

The bike I converted is a SOMA fabrications double cross, 9-speed, downtube shifters, and cantilever brakes.

I choose the TSDZ2 500W motor. Reasons:

1. The 500W motor is less expensive compared to the 750W motor, albeit nominally.

2. The 500W motor I purchased has no throttle and no special brake levers. I wanted as few inputs as possible to the motor.

3. I wanted a torque sensing motor and not a cadence sensing motor. Ultimately, this is the main reason I choose the TSDZ vice the BBS series of motors.

Good background info on the motor can be found here: https://www.electricbike.com/tsdz2-7...orque-sensing/

I've been riding the converted bike for about 1.5 months almost daily to/from work and running errands. It's been a blast! I don't have too much experience with ebikes, but my converted ebike can easily challenge any that I've test ridden before at 1/2 the price.

The install was easy and took me about 2 hours. The following YouTube video shows the basics:
. The only extra tool I needed to purchase was a bottom bracket tool for removing my old crank set . The TSDZ comes standard with the required wrench to install the motor.

The ride is effortless - you turn the crank and motor engages. The harder you push, the more power is provided. For my daily commute, my max speed is around 12-24 MPH. This range is due to the traffic I encounter on the multi-use path. I dial up assist and pedal hard when no one is around...I slow way down when there are people present.

On flat terrain, I can get the bike moving quickly with little effort. When you hit hills, you will need to pedal harder (hence the torque sensor). If you encounter big hills, you'll need to downshift. I know some people complain about this feature, but it isn't an issue for me.

Officially, the motor will cut out at 20 MPH, but you can change the motor settings to allow a larger wheel (in my case 700C) to spin faster by setting it to another wheel size (16 inch). I can hit 24-26 MPH for extended periods.

If you are looking to purchase a mid-drive kit that is effortless to install and use, I would suggest you do some research on the TSDZ2. Pics to follow (if I remember).

Old 08-31-19, 05:32 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I have one on my commuter bike and my reasons for going with the tsdz2 nearly mirror yours.

I don't think you lost anything by going with 500W instead of 750W. My observation is that, in its highest setting, it seems to add about 150% of what I put in. By that, without it, on a commute, I am generally between 10 & 15 mph. With it, I am between 15 & 20 mph.

The big difference for me is that in winds that would push me down to, or below 10 mph, with the motor I am still around 15 mph. However, it does not get even near adding 750W.

In all I am happy with it for the purpose I use it for, making my commute a bit more enjoyable; yet I still get my heart rate up and I can feel my legs, I am still pushing. As was noted by the OP, I still need to use the gears.

I wanted to add, a while ago I mentioned some error codes. Then it stopped working when my daughter was using it. The problem turned out to be a poor crimp on a power-pole. Once I fixed that I have had no error codes.
Old 09-01-19, 06:04 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Thanks for posting. Earlier this week I ordered a TSDZ2 kit to convert my wife's bike. This will be my first foray into the world of e-bikes. I'm definitely excited about it.
Old 09-01-19, 01:30 PM
DAME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moe Zhoost - You won't be sorry you purchased! Post pics when you complete the conversion.
Old 09-01-19, 01:40 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by DAME
Moe Zhoost - You won't be sorry you purchased! Post pics when you complete the conversion.
Old 09-01-19, 05:09 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
And where are the photos please? Thanks and Be Well. Bluesfrog
Old 09-02-19, 11:53 AM
Katysax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Front derailleur

Love this. I want to do it too. What did you do about the front derailleur when you went down to one chain ring?
Old 09-02-19, 02:35 PM
DAME

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katysax - I just removed the front derailleur, shifter and cable. From my online research, there is an adapter for the TSDZ2 that allows you to run two chain rings, but I wanted to keep the build simple.
Old 09-24-19, 10:08 AM
TakO

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered a TSDZ2 with a battery. I'm excited to get this project going! Now, I just need an appropriate bike.

Have any of you who've installed this run into any issues with the bottom bracket fitting? Apparently, the "TSDZ2 Mid Drive Kits are designed to fit bikes with threaded JIS/BSA bottom brackets". The standard size is 68-73mm. I read that a lot of newer bikes (after 2012) have different bottom brackets (either wider or "press fit" or with different tapering). When looking for a used bike online, sometimes it's hard to find what sort of bottom bracket a bike has.

If you've installed this on a bike without the threaded JIS/BSA bottom bracket, what sort of adapters did you need?

Any other thoughts or considerations around fitting the bottom bracket?

Thanks!
Old 09-24-19, 10:28 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by DAME
... I would suggest you do some research on the TSDZ2. Pics to follow (if I remember).
Did you forget?
Old 09-24-19, 10:54 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

I've done four, our two bikes and then our two trikes. They're great.
Old 11-01-19, 04:18 AM
sysrq

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by boilermaker1

I've done four, our two bikes and then our two trikes. They're great.
OK
They are great, but has anyone had a play in the shaft? There are reports of play.
Old 11-01-19, 06:40 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
OK
They are great, but has anyone had a play in the shaft? There are reports of play.
I haven't noticed any problems with mine, in that regard. At this point, my only grumble is the lack of power. It is very similar to the performance from my 350W geared hub motor. The only place this really matters is when riding into the wind.

To try to deal with the power issue, when riding into the wind, I have a new controller and a throttle assembly. I will try the new controller first, after all, my reason for getting this motor was to eliminate the need for a throttle.
Old 11-01-19, 07:48 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Let us know how this works out, throttle/no throttle. Thanks and Be Well, Bandito.
Old 09-11-20, 09:48 AM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts