Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

7sp EMTB single chainring crankset change out possible?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 06:19 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

I am looking at a 7sp electric MTB with a single 36 chainring crankset. Can this crankset be removed to use a double or triple set up? The motor is in the back wheel and battery on the downtube so is there any electronic components to watch out for? I test drove this and there is simply not enough high gears to go down a steep hill while a largest sprocket of 28 in the cassette is enough with some assistance up any hill.
Old 08-18-20, 06:38 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 621 Posts
Some inexpensive cranksets have chainrings that can't be changed because the rings are riveted on, although perhaps they can be drilled out and "conventional" bolts used. Also, make sure there is room for the larger ring and it won't interfere with the chainstay. If all else fails, probably the bike has a tapered axle and will accept another double/triple crank. Finally, why not just enjoy coasting downhill.
Old 08-18-20, 06:56 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I was hoping to use an entry level EMTB for both transportation and training. It feels strange to wear race jersey and cycling shoes to just coast down a hill. Also, on very steep hills, I feel like I can definitely use a smaller 22-24 front chain ring to power myself up a hill on pure spaghetti. A triple 22-32-42 would be seriously ideal for my type of riding. But triples are not cool anymore while bikes costing more than ever offering less utility. I donīt understand why the entry level EMTBS don't have rigid forks as the heavy Suntour XTC forks donīt even move up and down.

Originally Posted by 2old
Some inexpensive cranksets have chainrings that can't be changed because the rings are riveted on, although perhaps they can be drilled out and "conventional" bolts used. Also, make sure there is room for the larger ring and it won't interfere with the chainstay. If all else fails, probably the bike has a tapered axle and will accept another double/triple crank. Finally, why not just enjoy coasting downhill.
Old 08-18-20, 07:16 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 621 Posts
Also, make sure that a front derailleur can be mounted; the design of some down tubes prevent it. Agree about Suntour forks. Just replace with a long-enough Surly, and use the fork as a pogp stick.
Old 08-18-20, 09:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool

My Local shop has been doing mid drive conversations to MTB, for hunters, for years

motor crank assembly replaces the crankset & BB it has 1 chainring
Old 08-18-20, 04:49 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
You want to go from a single crank to a triple up front? The bike probably doesn't have a derailleur mount, so you 'll have to buy one of the clamp on mounts, and use a front derailleur suited to it. Issues will arise if your downtube isn't round, or the wrong diameter, and maybe you have to make a spacer to position the front derailleur. not to mention how to rout the cabling.

Certainly possible though. I hung a front derailleur on a fat tire bike that didn't have anything w/o knowing what was involved, and still managed to get it right. It's just a bike.