Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

SE bike questions

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

SE bike questions

Old 02-15-21, 08:44 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
SE bike questions

Hi everyone. My son and I are building up a SE Blocks Flyer that we found neglected.

1) We need to replace the bottom bracket and I'm unsure what size or type we need. When we pulled the old one out, the one side was still on the spindle and I had to tap it to get the bearing's off.

2) Rear brakes, unsure what length lever arms.

Thanks
Old 02-16-21, 12:39 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a Euro bottom bracket. Are you looking to replace the whole crank or just the bearings? If it's just the bearings they often have a number on the side of them and you can usually pick them up cheaper at a auto store compared to a bike shop. The brake levers are all personal choice for length. I looked it up and they use cheapo Promax. I'd just find one that looks cool and matches how you are fixing up the bike.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 02-16-21, 03:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
2018-2020 Blocks Flyers had a Euro bottom bracket; 2021s have a Mid. If the bearing threads into the frame it's Euro. If the bearings press directly in, it's Mid. I believe all had/have a 19mm spindle.

Depending on year, the brakes were either Promax or Tektro V-brakes, so any V-brake lever should work. They spec them with a "2-finger" lever, if that matters.

If you figure out the year model, the SE Archives has many of the specs for each model. Look it up under the "Rad Series" of each year.

Last edited by Rolla; 02-16-21 at 03:57 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-19-21, 01:31 PM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Headset question

Thanks for the info so far.

Its 2019 based on the SN, so it would be a Euro BB.

What I ment on the length of the levers, was for the rear part where the brake pads mount. Maybe there called something different. But while shopping around I seen lengths of 85mm or 105mm. We have determined that we would need the longer one to clear the big tire (26x2.5).

My next question is about headsets. The current one is the caged ball bearing style and some of the ball bearings are missing from the bottom set. I would like to go to a sealed bearing type. I understand I would need to replace the cups and get a whole set. But I'm unsure of difference of 36 degree and 45 degree. I'm not sure what part that relates to, so that I could compare to the current set up. I have been looking at the FSA Orbit, is this do-able or what should I go with?

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-21, 03:34 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Since I assume you're going to have to press in the headset cups and replace the crown race, you'll want to do that at a bike shop, where they can help you get the right headset.

Pretty comprehensive headset info here: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/t...e-to-headsets/
Old 02-21-21, 06:33 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Here are the specs for the 2019 model; might help a bit.
Old 02-22-21, 06:46 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the Spec sheet. But it doesn't give me the specs for the Headset, just says Tange 1 1/8" threadless. pretty basic description.
Old 02-22-21, 04:36 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Originally Posted by Ryno317
Thanks for the Spec sheet. But it doesn't give me the specs for the Headset, just says Tange 1 1/8" threadless. pretty basic description.
You will have to pop out the cups of the old headset and measure the diameter of the lip that presses into the frame with a micrometer.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 02-22-21, 04:42 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...read-them.html

See if this helps if not, maybe call/write/email sebikes?
Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 02-23-21, 12:56 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryno317
so just buy another Tange threadless headset. Simple

dont over complicate it, the SE’s are cheap and simple bikes (have had 3 of them over the years and currently have a Big Fler). They dont put anything exotic on them at all.

im just saddened that you found one only a year or so old that was so dogged out it needs all this , but kids can be abusive

Last edited by DMC707; 02-23-21 at 12:59 PM.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-24-21, 06:07 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
so just buy another Tange threadless headset. Simple

dont over complicate it, the SE’s are cheap and simple bikes (have had 3 of them over the years and currently have a Big Fler). They dont put anything exotic on them at all.

im just saddened that you found one only a year or so old that was so dogged out it needs all this , but kids can be abusive
I could, but to your point about kids being abusive to them. That's why I wanted to get a sealed bearing type, so it can last and be better protected from the elements. And yes this bike has been abused, my son will be the 3rd owner in the past 1-1/2 - 2 years. It had a rattle can paint job, none of the original stickers.(not stolen, I already checked the SN) I got it from a New Jersey shore town, so there was plenty of sand in the BB and headset bearings.
Old 02-24-21, 11:35 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Were you able to measure the cups? On the Tange site the DX4 headsets state a outer diameter of 34mm but you should double check it. Tange makes a Technoglide in a similar size but it's pricey. You will have to google "Standard" 1 1/8th thread less headset. Other brands I can think of is FSA MX 1 1/8th but I'm sure there is others. Also check if your forks need a star nut and make sure that's included if you do. You might need to also order some spacers as the headset height might be different.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 03-12-24, 04:13 PM
SEbiker01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SE bike tire getting holes

What are the best places to buy tubing for my SE bike and what is the best tubing I can buy so my tires don’t get holes when I run over thorns

my bike is a SE big flyer 29”
Old 03-14-24, 07:19 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by SEbiker01
What are the best places to buy tubing for my SE bike and what is the best tubing I can buy so my tires don’t get holes when I run over thorns

I assume you mean tubes for your tires. Tubing would normally refer to the metal tubes that make up your frame.

Just get any 29" tubes for appropriate width tires. There is nothing special about the SE bike that would need anything different than 29" MTB tubes. As far as running over thorns - you can try adding Slime or other sealant into your tubes, (Slime brand sells tubes that already have slime in it), try tire liners like Mr.Tuffy - thorns are tough to protect. Best protection is probably going all the way to a tubeless setup, but that's probably more than the big flyer should really be worth.
Old 03-14-24, 09:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by SEbiker01

Keep in mind this is an older thread kind of unrelated, best thing to do for the future is ask a new question in a new thread in the right section.

In terms of your question get good quality puncture protectant tires from known quality brands (think Continental, Vittoria, Maxxis, Schwalbe... in no order) and keep your standard butyl tubes (again quality sources) properly inflated and you will get fewer flats. Avoid any goo or goop or hard liners if you are wanting a liner something soft and foamy like the Tannus Armour is good. You will use a smaller tube with those just FYI.

If you are desperate for putting goo or fluid in your tires you will need to get a tubeless set up first and then find a good tubeless sealant. This would be very different from the mess that is slime or similar and there would be no tubes and generally you would need a tubeless rim and tire.