Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Guidance needed for a large, novice rider on wheels and possibly a bike.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 12:45 PM
KIPKIPKIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I want to buy a bike, but my weight and my budget are significant factors to consider. I miss having a bike. Its lower impact, I could hit two birds with one stone and give my dog good exercise at the same time.

I am now about 330lbs and require a low step through due to reduced flexibility. I tried some women's bikes in a walmart just to feel it out to see if I really needed low entry, and I do. I almost toppled over catching my foot a couple times and I can't have that if my dog is attached - he will get frightened and never want to be around a bike again.

EVRYjourney Steel by sixthreezero bike
I know this is not 'top of the line' with a weight limit of 300lbs, and some people online have said they have ridden it at up to 350lbs with no issue, and I also reached out to the company who said the frame is no issue but getting reinforced wheels would be advisable and that's what I've seen online for heavy riders in general. Beyond having a bike as a kid, I'm a bit of a novice and the amount of wheels online is overwhelming. I'm also worried how much that would rise the overall cost. They have a fat tire version but the price is like over $300 more and not possible. I like their year long return time and they seem to have a decent warranty.

I also found the Pacific Coast 3 Speed Cruiser
They don't weight test but the company told me they recommend a max of 275, I like the idea of a less maintenance intensive bike with the drive belt rather than chain a LOT, but obviously that's a lower limit. They have wider wheels, which I know is a plus. I looked into it because a lot of people online seemed to toss it around as being well built and recommended for heavier riders.

So I guess, my question is... am I going to collapse the tires on day one going down the sidewalk with these? Do I have some time probably to get new wheels? And what kind? I keep seeing custom, hand made expensive wheels but everyone talks about spoke counts and there are like lowrider 26" wheels with 144 spokes on Amazon that are pretty cheap - why wouldn't those work?

I have looked at Workman, Zize, Roll, etc. everything is either out of stock until the end of the year or outside my budget / only available with financing I don't qualify for. I have been looking for used bikes in my area for weeks. I cannot find one that fits my needs at all and I think that like new bikes is largely due to the pandemic and supply.

I will be riding under a few miles a day - definitely at first, on relatively flat pavement and paved trails. My dog is on the smaller end of medium - I won't be going particularly fast or far with him. Comfort and the ability to ride at all are my priority.

I just want some guidance because I'm starting to feel like I should forget the whole damn thing. The last time I called a place regarding fitness equipment and mentioned my weight they repeated it back to me on the phone and I heard people mocking it in the store. The local bike shops near me have... concerning reviews regarding plus size customers and I'm hesitant to go in. I think a bad experience would honesty stop me from pursuing it at all.

Last edited by KIPKIPKIP; 03-30-21 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 02:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by KIPKIPKIP
Needs:
Under $600 inc. shipping
Low Entry / Step Through
350lb Limit

Wants:
3 Speed
Forward pedals

Help.
Welcome! I've condensed the tl:dr for you. Check out the half dozen similar posts on the first page for more ideas. IIRC some folks here with similar difficulties are happy with the Electra Townie. Also, don't feel badly if this doesn't work out for you. Cycling is an enjoyable pastime for many but not a great fit for everyone.
Old 03-30-21, 02:14 PM
KIPKIPKIP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Welcome! I've condensed the tl:dr for you. Check out the half dozen similar posts on the first page for more ideas. IIRC some folks here with similar difficulties are happy with the Electra Townie. Also, don't feel badly if this doesn't work out for you. Cycling is an enjoyable pastime for many but not a great fit for everyone.

That's why I added it already at the bottom. I have checked out the other threads. I've been looking for weeks. I added the relevant information to avoid the common questions. The Electra Townie is not a good fit for me, for reasons I outlined in the post. And even if it was, I still have questions about the wheels which is my main question. I very clearly shared two bikes I've narrowed it to and I said I was OPEN to bike recommendations if they worked but was looking for specific help regarding those bikes and making them safe for me.

Also, to tell someone its enjoyable but not for everyone is... literally the kind of thing I said I didn't need to hear. I already feel like I've been priced out and laughed at. But thanks so much for reminding me how despite my doctor supporting it, my being motivated and it being one of the only activities I can engage in safely at the moment that it might just be "not a great fit".
Old 03-30-21, 02:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Look in your local Craigslist.
You need something with 36 Spoke's in each Wheel..

Please Start Walking to drop some Weight.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 03-30-21, 02:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Good luck, nevertheless. Links https://www.sixthreezero.com/product...hybrid-bicycle and https://www.pacificbeachbikes.com/pr...each-cruisers/

Last edited by shelbyfv; 03-30-21 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 02:22 PM
KIPKIPKIP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Look in your local Craigslist.
You need something with 36 Spoke's in each Wheel..

Please Start Walking to drop some Weight.
I have a chronic soft tissue foot problem that does not allow me to "walk to lose weight", however I am able to ride bicycles with more ease as the impact is lessened. Again, as mentioned, I have been trolling craigslist and others for weeks on end.
Old 03-30-21, 02:44 PM
KIPKIPKIP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fine, I edited it down. Because honestly, what the hell? I came here for help. I said hey, these are the options I have found, I am overwhelmed and need to know how I can make THESE safer for me, specifically. That's it, I was open to in stock/in budget options on top of that. PLENTY of riders far heavier than me have started. Telling me not to, or telling me to engage in a separate exercise unsolicited is kind of messed up. I came here because I was told I could get knowledgeable help about my specific needs. Not discouraged.

I need 36 spokes? Yeah. I think I mentioned that I need a higher spoke count.
I need to lose weight? Yep. Covered.

Can anyone make an attempt to discuss the bikes I mentioned and the questions I asked about wheels for them and costs? Because right now, it's feeling a lot like "sucks you're poor, gonna gloss over the questions tho" and that I really should say F it to the one exercise I am excited about, cleared for and could access. Cool community.
Old 03-30-21, 02:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Here's more info from someone who builds "clyde" wheels. Big Wheel Building: The Clyde (wheel) Conundrum.
Old 03-30-21, 03:18 PM
KIPKIPKIP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Respectfully, if you won't respond to my specific questions, leave.
Old 03-30-21, 03:33 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I want to buy a bike, but my weight and my budget are significant factors to consider. I miss having a bike. Its lower impact, I could hit two birds with one stone and give my dog good exercise at the same time.

I am now about 330lbs and require a low step through due to reduced flexibility. I tried some women's bikes in a walmart just to feel it out to see if I really needed low entry, and I do. I almost toppled over catching my foot a couple times and I can't have that if my dog is attached - he will get frightened and never want to be around a bike again.

EVRYjourney Steel by sixthreezero bike
I know this is not 'top of the line' with a weight limit of 300lbs, and some people online have said they have ridden it at up to 350lbs with no issue, and I also reached out to the company who said the frame is no issue but getting reinforced wheels would be advisable and that's what I've seen online for heavy riders in general. Beyond having a bike as a kid, I'm a bit of a novice and the amount of wheels online is overwhelming. I'm also worried how much that would rise the overall cost. They have a fat tire version but the price is like over $300 more and not possible. I like their year long return time and they seem to have a decent warranty.

I also found the Pacific Coast 3 Speed Cruiser
They don't weight test but the company told me they recommend a max of 275, I like the idea of a less maintenance intensive bike with the drive belt rather than chain a LOT, but obviously that's a lower limit. They have wider wheels, which I know is a plus. I looked into it because a lot of people online seemed to toss it around as being well built and recommended for heavier riders.

So I guess, my question is... am I going to collapse the tires on day one going down the sidewalk with these? Do I have some time probably to get new wheels? And what kind? I keep seeing custom, hand made expensive wheels but everyone talks about spoke counts and there are like lowrider 26" wheels with 144 spokes on Amazon that are pretty cheap - why wouldn't those work?

I have looked at Workman, Zize, Roll, etc. everything is either out of stock until the end of the year or outside my budget / only available with financing I don't qualify for. I have been looking for used bikes in my area for weeks. I cannot find one that fits my needs at all and I think that like new bikes is largely due to the pandemic and supply.

I will be riding under a few miles a day - definitely at first, on relatively flat pavement and paved trails. My dog is on the smaller end of medium - I won't be going particularly fast or far with him. Comfort and the ability to ride at all are my priority.

I just want some guidance because I'm starting to feel like I should forget the whole damn thing. The last time I called a place regarding fitness equipment and mentioned my weight they repeated it back to me on the phone and I heard people mocking it in the store. The local bike shops near me have... concerning reviews regarding plus size customers and I'm hesitant to go in. I think a bad experience would honesty stop me from pursuing it at all.
Here is the problem as I see it. You are asking about a particular bike, or two bikes that apparently, a lot of folks here are not familiar with. Myself included. Where are you buying it from? Can the seller help you. You say you don't want to seek out the advice of your local bike shops because you are concerned they might make fun of you. But the paradox is, you really need to work with someone who knows what he or she is doing, whether it be bike shop employee, a friend who knows bikes, or maybe someone who volunteers at a bike coop. Seeking advice of internet strangers is not a bad idea, as sometimes there is a wisdom of crowds. but it is still no substitute for someone who knows you, or at least can see you face to face and help you.

Finally, I would gently push back on your push back of people who have offered advice. You mentioned something about a foot problem that would keep you from walking, but also mentioned that your body is so rigid, you cannot get your leg over a standard bike. Frankly, I am a little concerned for you as I do wonder how much exercise you can really get with the bikes you are looking at. That said, you do need to start somewhere, and if that somewhere is a beach cruiser, then I wish you the best in finding something that works for you.
Old 03-30-21, 03:34 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Respectfully, if you won't respond to my specific questions, leave.
Easy there. Folks are just doing their best to offer advice. We don't know you, and you don't know us.
Old 03-30-21, 05:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Here are answers to what I could identify as answerable questions. What about the sixthreezero bike? NO. Weight limit 300#. What about Beach Cruiser? NO. Weight limit 270#. Will my weight explode my tire? Not likely. What usually happens is the spokes begin to break. Sometimes you can ride home if only one breaks. What are good wheels? This page has a variety of "clyde" wheels for different applications.https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...&keyword=heavy Many are out of stock due to worldwide shortage of bikes and components. However, you can look at the components they use and get an idea what is needed for a strong wheel. They are not cheap but you probably are accustomed to paying extra for your clothing, etc. Just how it works.... Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-21, 06:59 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
330lb ~ 150kg. That's the weight I was back at university when I was commuting back and forth on a regular cheap 26" mountain bike. 32 spoke wheels, 2.1inch tyres, no suspension and nothing special at all on that bike. No talking to the LBS getting them to check spoke tension, just walk in and buy a bike off the floor and take it home. I turned myself around in that time from an overweight sit on my butt all day guy to a 6day/week gym junkie. Lifting heavy weights, I dropped all the way down to 145kg. My weight didn't change much, but my body sure as hell did. Bikes will take a lot more weight and punishment than we give them credit for, but you have to pay attention to certain things like spokes if you want them to keep going.

What kind of body type are you? What is your height? Are you beginning a weight loss journey or are you already on one? If you're just starting out, then you should drop weight quickly as you start to get active and pay some attention to what you're eating. If you've been at it for some time already then weight possibly won't drop as fast. What I mean from that is if you're starting out and you're fairly overweight, then I wouldn't worry too much about the weight limits of the bikes. Cruise along, avoid obstacles as much as possible and just get out there. Pretty soon you should be at or under that weight limit. Now, if you're 6'10" and that weight, it's a different story, but then you'd likely not be worrying too much about standover either.

The 6-3-0 would be my pick with a better frame geo for strength and 36 spoke wheels. Speak to the bike shop you'll get it from and ask about checking the spokes out for your peace of mind. Neither of those bikes are going to last you long if you decide that cycling is the thing for you. That is something that you need to consider, but if you like the sport/pastime then offloading the bike should be fairly easy to upgrade to something else down the track.
Old 03-30-21, 08:15 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
So I guess, my question is... am I going to collapse the tires on day one going down the sidewalk with these? Do I have some time probably to get new wheels? And what kind?
I will be riding under a few miles a day - definitely at first, on relatively flat pavement and paved trails.
No, you're not going to collapse the tires on day 1 going down the sidewalk (unless the sidewalk is hella bumpy).
If you're asking which one I'd pick right now if I were in your situation...I would go with the higher weight rating bike, in this case the EVRYjourney Steel.
Get out and get after it and worry about the broken parts later! You got this.

Last edited by a_d_a_m; 03-30-21 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-01-21, 09:39 AM
KIPKIPKIP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Couple things. The link to the Pacific Coast is wrong, that's partly my fault as my phone corrected Priority to Pacific and the link Shelby dropped was consequently wrong.
I was prepared to buy the bike, as long as I knew it wouldn't fall apart on my first couple weeks - and Shelby knows damn well what they were doing with their 'answers' and using words like 'explode'. Honestly, you have no business helping new riders with weight concerns. You didn't read my concerns, responded generally and discouragingly and then copped an attitude when I resisted. I won't engage further with you.

As for MRT2, don't tell people to accept poor treatment. It's poor form. As for this:
You mentioned something about a foot problem that would keep you from walking, but also mentioned that your body is so rigid, you cannot get your leg over a standard bike. Frankly, I am a little concerned for you as I do wonder how much exercise you can really get with the bikes you are looking at. That said, you do need to start somewhere, and if that somewhere is a beach cruiser, then I wish you the best in finding something that works for you.
Not that I need to justify my state of health to you, but as I mentioned - a doctor recommended this. And a physical therapist if it matters. I actually meantion a soft tissue issue. It's a connective tissue disorder that causes hyper flexibility actually, and that hyper flexible nature can paradoxically cause tightness in a handful of tendons. I am far from 'too rigid' and never claimed to be. I did mention having trouble getting off a bike - it was a random women's bike, not particularly low entry, and a skittish formerly abused dog I wanted to avoid scaring away from participating. I am capable of riding a bike, mounting and dismounting but I am CAREFUL due to several smaller concerns and require a bike that satisfies me will not exacerbate ANY of those issues. Even if I didn't share this, do you tell the elderly not to bike because they need a low entry bike? You know bikes are literally marketed for people with that specific issue and it isn't any reason to turn them away right? Do you also discourage the disabled from activity? Do you not see how messed up it is to gatekeep based on the assumption of my health you made in complete ignorance? You're not a doctor, and if you're curious how much excercise I can get, I'll share with you what my doctor said: "Bicycling is the best option for you, I would say biking and swimming but you don't have access to a pool and we've talked about time constraints. Biking is the best thing you can do and should give you a great cardiovascular improvement." So go to med school, or don't speak out of turn.

brawlo and a_d_a_m, i want to sincerely thank you for addressing my exact questions clearly and directly. I got really discouraged by the other two, ended up not purchasing the bike I wanted and now it's on pre order and won't arrive until October if I buy it. Honestly, I don't want that because not being active right now is definitely causing me some serious anxiety. I want to START. So, my options now are to sell some of my stuff and buy the fat tire version, which is 7 speed (I really wanted 3 speed) and is aluminum not steel or to buy the Priority Coast, being cheaper. I guess I'm worried about spending even more on the fat tire if it will also be a fall apart pos soon, but I think the fat tire is in my favor.

I still cannot post links, but the two bikes I can currently buy are the
EVRYjourney FATTIRE
PRIORITY COAST

Do you mind sharing your thoughts on these two? Right now, I'm thinking I should probably do whatever I can to buy the fat tire, even if it is 7 Speed, aluminum and not my original choice.
Old 04-01-21, 09:44 AM
KIPKIPKIP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of body type are you? What is your height? Are you beginning a weight loss journey or are you already on one? If you're just starting out, then you should drop weight quickly as you start to get active and pay some attention to what you're eating. If you've been at it for some time already then weight possibly won't drop as fast. What I mean from that is if you're starting out and you're fairly overweight, then I wouldn't worry too much about the weight limits of the bikes. Cruise along, avoid obstacles as much as possible and just get out there. Pretty soon you should be at or under that weight limit. Now, if you're 6'10" and that weight, it's a different story, but then you'd likely not be worrying too much about standover either.
5'8", I carry weight evenly all over, hourglass with some significant belly. I am going to be starting again and know I can drop weight quickly, before 2020 The Year of Hell for me, I had been able to drop 80 lbs in about 7 months with just diet changes so I expect as I am "re" starting this that I will drop quickly in the beginning as you mentioned. I expect to until my work schedule changes be cycling in laps in my apartment complex roads and sidewalks when it's deserted at about 1AM to be honest. So very even, well maintained asphalt and concrete.
Old 04-01-21, 11:02 AM
KIPKIPKIP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, the choice was made for me - even the fat tire sold out in the time it took me to get a deposit on my laptop from a friend. I found one version of the 3-Speed in a different color, still seemingly in stock but I may be one of the ones that gets an email that its been delayed so I just pulled the trigger. Its the aluminum one, hopefully I'll still like it and hopefully it ships. They had basically one left today. I'll put it together and take it to the shop to give it a once over before riding it, and hopefully it last me maybe a year or so. Thanks, adam and brawlo, I appreciate it.
Likes For KIPKIPKIP: