Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen these lugs before?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-21, 12:04 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts

Before I post pictures with a full shot of the frame, I thought I'd ask with just pictures of the lugs. I bought it yesterday as a complete with color matched pump. I took it apart last night. parts weren't worthy of the frame..bars and stem were cinelli, so thats a plus. I bought it from the original owner who had 'updated' the parts,....original paint and decals, just haven't found another like it.

Old 05-28-21, 12:13 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

rear drops
Old 05-28-21, 12:54 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Wow! Don't know... I thought Dunelt, or Carlton but I guess not because of the Columbus fork... what's the seatpost? Anyhow, it's pretty; I'm sure somebody learned knows those lugs by sight
Old 05-28-21, 01:05 PM
uncleivan 

It is british, it was actually difficult to take the pics without showing the persons name.
Old 05-28-21, 01:13 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Nervex Professional Lugs

Originally Posted by uncleivan
Before I post pictures with a full shot of the frame, I thought I'd ask with just pictures of the lugs. I bought it yesterday as a complete with color matched pump. I took it apart last night. parts weren't worthy of the frame..bars and stem were cinelli, so thats a plus. I bought it from the original owner who had 'updated' the parts,....original paint and decals, just haven't found another like it.

The lugs are Nervex Professional Model 49/152 with the optional reinforcing flange around the top and bottom in the head tube area. They have been modified in the front with the "fish tail" in the center removed and holes drilled on top at the top tube.

These lugs while very handsome, fell out of favor in the early 70's with most builders/manufacturers because by that time, they required a lot of work to clean up. Additionally they looked frumpy because long point "Italian style" lugs had become the hot ticket for better quality bikes and frames.

The BB shell looks to be a modified Nervex Model 162.

The fork crown is a modified Vagner PL style.

The thick paint or powder coat hides the features and shorelines of the lugs, BB and crown.

I'm having a frame built with Nervex Professional lugs in the style of this Della Santa. This gives a better picture of what the unmodified lugs look like.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-28-21 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-28-21, 01:37 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
As @verktyg points out, the headlugs are Nervex, but I have my doubts whether the BB or fork crown are. The scallops in the BB are in completely different locations - not to mention the additional casting details that couldn't be carved out of the blanks of a Nervex BB or Prugnat crown.

That crown also has something unnervingly modern about it - it's too clean, too uniform, and has a lot of solid area built around the crown before the cutouts - something common to many modern crowns. Also, I've heard that some framebuilders shy away from the Nervex BB because they usually require too much finish work to be acceptable (something even Schwinn did with the Paramount BITD).

I'd venture to say this might have been built within the last 15-20 years, and incorporated the new bits along with the classic Nervex lugs as a compromise. The interesting eyelet adaptation into the Campagnolo 1010B's also suggests a bit of a compromise.

-Kurt

Old 05-28-21, 01:49 PM
uncleivan 

Old 05-28-21, 02:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
No expert obviously, but looks like a bit "watered down" Hetchins or the like to me, still very cool.
Old 05-28-21, 02:04 PM
uncleivan 

Thanks so much for the information regarding the lugs. I was up pretty late trying to figure it out.

One of the full frame and fork with pump.... Frame measures 54cm st ctc, and 55cm tt ctc