Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tougher tires than Specialized All Condition Armadillo?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tougher tires than Specialized All Condition Armadillo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-21, 12:05 PM
vmhatup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire recommendation for lousy streets and sidewalks?

I have a BH road bike that I use for work. The roads and the sidewalks here are extremely rough and uneven, so I need tough tires (if that's how you call it).

My current tires (Specialized All Condition Armadillo) are already worn out. I have to buy a new set of tires.

My question: are there tougher tires than the Specialized All Condition Armadillo?

Which do you recommend? Weight doesn't matter. All that matters is that they hold up well to the crappy sidewalks and streets we have here.

Thanks.

Last edited by vmhatup; 06-18-21 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 01:58 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by vmhatup
I have a BH road bike that I use for work. The roads and the sidewalks here are extremely rough and uneven, so I need tough tires (if that's how you call it).

My current tires (Specialized All Condition Armadillo) are already worn out. I have to buy a new set of tires.

My question: are there tougher tires than the Specialized All Condition Armadillo?

Which do you recommend? Weight doesn't matter. All that matters is that they hold up well to the crappy sidewalks and streets we have here.

Thanks.
How long is "already" time and miles?
Where is "here"?

gm
Old 06-18-21, 02:04 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You owned one of the toughest tire out there and if you weren't happy with those, then maybe try Schwalbe Marathon Plus. If you really don't want flats but also don't want comfort go for the Tannus puncture proof tires.
Old 06-18-21, 06:45 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
How far have you ridden these tires and how far do you expect bicycle tires to go? All tires wear out, the more you ride the sooner you need new ones
Old 06-18-21, 09:59 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Am I understanding this correctly?

You’re commuting on this. The roads are crap where you are. And you’re replacing a tiny “no-sidewall” tire with another tiny tire?

I’d get more tire. This isn’t just for bikes, I think the same thing about lo-profile tires on cars.

I was wrong. Can get in 32, at first all I saw was biggest 25.

Last edited by SkinGriz; 06-18-21 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 10:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-airless-tires

Can't puncture.
Old 06-19-21, 06:55 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I'd be interested in a review on these from anyone who's used them. How do they ride?
Old 06-19-21, 07:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I'd be interested in a review on these from anyone who's used them. How do they ride?
A buddy I ride with swears by them. He has 25mm tires on his main road bike.
He promises they are as fast as his old pneumatic tires. He is either very mistaken or used the slowest road tires ever made.

But his current tires haven't flatted, so he has that going for him.
Old 06-19-21, 10:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Here is a thread from a couple of years ago. And, I included a couple of first person reviews.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...olid-tire.html (misspelled title, but it makes it easier to find).

I have a set of the narrow 23/25mm tires on one bike.

I thought the tires were a bit slower than other tires, and I got a bit more handlebar vibration than other tires. But, overall I did quite well without flatting.

At that time I had considered a traction issue, and had issues on wet pavement (which is most of the winter around here).

Most of my tires I ride are 25mm wide or less. And, the Schwalbe Marathon is a heavy tire for 25mm, but has some of the best traction in that class.

The Protek Cross Max (32mm or 35mm) is one tire that I never flatted (I had a bad hole in the Marathon on day 1 or day 2, which ultimately caused me problems for the life of the tire). And, I thought the Cross Max had some of the best traction of any tire I've ridden even in slushy snow.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-20-21, 02:09 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try Michelin Protek tires. For 5-6 years I've ridden Michelin Protek Cross Max 700x40 on my errand bike, never a single puncture flat. I've used pliers to pull out staples, brads, glass, radial tire wire, etc., from the tread, but it never reached the tube. Even when the tread was slashed down to the yellow Aramid fiber shield it didn't puncture.

And the Michelin Proteks ride better than my comparable Continental tires, including the Contact Speed 2. Conti and Schwalbe tend to use thicker rubber shields under the main tread, which to me has a harsher ride than the woven fabric Aramid (comparable to Kevlar) shields in Michelin tires.

If I'm recalling correctly the Michelin Protek tires use the following terms to denote the level of protection:
  • Regular Protek tires have a 1mm thick Aramid puncture shield.
  • Protek Max indicates a 5mm puncture shield, their thickest.
  • All Protek tires use chevron tread patterns. The "Cross" term denotes their thickest, heaviest chevron pattern tread, and is suitable for all terrain rides. Mine will handle off road pretty well but not thick muddy conditions.

The Protek Cross Max are heavy but ride better than expected for such a heavy, thick tire.

I'm not sure about the current Michelin lineup but a couple of years ago some of their tires intended for road bikes and sporty urban bikes with 700x28 or so tires included the 1mm Aramid puncture shield. Tire makers change product lineups and terminology so check the website for current info.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-20-21, 06:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Gatorskins are robust. Use the largest size that will fit your bike, whatever you choose.
Old 06-20-21, 06:56 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I have a BH road bike that I use for work. The roads and the sidewalks here are extremely rough and uneven, so I need tough tires (if that's how you call it). Thanks.
If its a high end BH road bike, then its not intended for commute under those conditions. Save a good bike for your longer and more challenging racing days.

Get another bike that can handle wider tires that require less PSI. This will make your ride more comfortable and less resistant to punctures. This might justify getting a gravel bike.

Perhaps, if that BH allows for a different wheelset with wider rims for wider tires, and wider brake calipers, then get that instead of another bike.
Old 06-20-21, 01:27 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Specialized was one of the first companies making tires with Kevlar belts. The Armadillo's have a reputation for being really tough.

have to wonder just how much more one really needs. Marathon Plus tires are extremely puncture resistant, but IMO over the top so. They noticeably impact the ride of the bike. The trick is finding the right balance between ride/weight and protection.

I love gatorskins on road bikes. I've had one flat in all the years I've ridden them and that was a pinch flat caused by me not topping off the pressure when I knew it needed some air.
Old 06-20-21, 05:13 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
could use tire liners too
Old 06-21-21, 11:20 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Don't have a suggestion. I rode 23 Armadillos for may years and they were pretty good, but was interested in better performance. Tried the Conti Grand Prix wasn't happy, and the GP4000 everyone raves about--they didn't last. I found the Michelin Pro4 Endurance a good tire, but they don't exist any more. Don't know about Gatorskins or Schwalbe which seem to be the alternatives.

I actually switched to tubs (with sealant) (Veloflex Arenberg 25s) but I don't think that's an option with really poor roads.

scott s.
Old 06-22-21, 01:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Ive used various sizes of Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons. They are durable, OK at flat resistance and roll OK. When i choose a durable and flat resistant tire I don't care if they "roll" as nice as GP 5000's. Ive seen 2000 commuting miles on these tires.
Old 06-23-21, 11:54 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My question: are there tougher tires than the Specialized All Condition Armadillo?.
In my experience, no.

Other tires known for toughness are mentioned above, all are good tires. But Armadillo tires are tough like hard plastic. You said yours wore out, but after how many miles? I had Armadillo tires and I was flat free for the longest time, until I rode over a piece of glass or a razor blade or something and got a long gash in the rear tire. The tires didn't owe me anything at that point.

Daily commuting is actually extremely taxing and high mileage, even if it doesn't feel like it. Compared to people who do weekend tours and a few 100km rides per year, daily commuters are the true hardasses of the road.
Old 07-28-21, 04:44 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts

Thanks.
I switched from Armadillos to Schwalbe Marathons this year after my Armadillos wore out. So far just as puncture resistant as the Armadillos, but faster and better riding IMO. Easier to mount, too - the Armadillos were by far the hardest to mount tire that I've ever used.
Old 07-30-21, 06:44 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Riding Gatorskins -recently 28mm -for 20 years and can count the number of flat I've had on one hand.