Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Arizona Hit-and-Run Injures Seven in Arizona

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-19-21, 05:28 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ow-low-arizona
Old 06-19-21, 06:08 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
7.25 AM on a Saturday and flees the scene. Almost seems intentional.
Old 06-19-21, 09:56 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,262 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
A friend of mine was hit on a Sunday morning at about the same time, and the driver fled the scene. It wasn't intentional -- the driver was intoxicated.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-20-21, 06:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Or a liquid breakfast. I used to do the second largest MS 150 ride in the country. One year a woman hit a rider on a bridge with what has to have an 8’ shoulder. Another driver who witnessed the incident recognized the car as belonging to a local woman. Police found her at home drunk off her ass well before noon.
Old 06-20-21, 08:00 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
From the Daily Mail "Where America gets its news"

Arizona police shoot man, 35, who plowed into group of cyclists on benefit race hospitalizing 7 | Daily Mail Online

Been in that hardware store a few times. Since the cops had to shoot him to get him to stop, sounds more like it was intentional, although inebriation was likely involved as well.
Likes For TGT1:
Old 06-20-21, 09:17 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 774 Posts
Drunk, high, sober, or just road raging against cyclists, that driver (if he recovers from the gunshot wound) should face attempted murder charges.

Edit: I won't shed any tears if he doesn't recover.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-20-21, 09:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Wow, I sort of (through social media not in person) am acquainted with someone who was racing in a different part of that race (not old enough to race masters). Scary stuff.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-20-21, 09:59 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Drunk, high, sober, or just road raging against cyclists, that driver (if he recovers from the gunshot wound) should face attempted murder charges.

Edit: I won't shed any tears if he doesn't recover.
It bothers me that they shot him. At that point, was he a threat to anyone? Shoot out his tires. (If they had killed him - and both bullets appeared aimed at his head - he would have received a far kinder sentence than he deserves. As it is, he have have received a TBI and never be fully aware of what he did. And wounded drivers have been known to depress accelerator pedals and do real damage with their multi ton weapon.)

Another case of trigger happy police work. (Unless I learn that he was intending to use his truck to ram the police or others behind that hardware store.)
Old 06-20-21, 10:13 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
It bothers me that they shot him. At that point, was he a threat to anyone? Shoot out his tires. (If they had killed him - and both bullets appeared aimed at his head - he would have received a far kinder sentence than he deserves. As it is, he have have received a TBI and never be fully aware of what he did. And wounded drivers have been known to depress accelerator pedals and do real damage with their multi ton weapon.)

Another case of trigger happy police work. (Unless I learn that he was intending to use his truck to ram the police or others behind that hardware store.)
As is the seemingly standard procedure these days, your comments are not based on any facts, just emotional knee-jerk. Maybe let's wait until there are some more details released before we pronounce the officers involved "trigger-happy."
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 06-20-21, 10:24 AM
Rick

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts

The perp fled the seen after what is believed to be an intentional act of violence. What he did is a felony. The police shot a dangerous fleeing felon.
Likes For Rick:
Old 06-20-21, 12:48 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Sickening!

Old 06-20-21, 01:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The perp fled the seen after what is believed to be an intentional act of violence. What he did is a felony. The police shot a dangerous fleeing felon.
Not a felon like someone who just robbed a bank without injury.

This man was using a vehicle as a weapon. And, continued to pose a risk to everybody on the streets from police to pedestrians to other road users. This likely could be deemed an immediate risk.

If he survives, he'll be a public liability, potentially for the rest of his life.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-20-21, 01:33 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
SLPD Sgt. Brandon Clark said the black Ford Super Duty pickup was traveling eastbound in the fast lane when it veered across the street and struck the group of bicyclists who were traveling westbound.

“For whatever reason, he crossed over the lines. There was a group of riders that we are guessing were about 40 to 50 that were heading westbound in the number two, or the curb lane. They were involved in the Bike the Bluffs. He ended up striking several of the riders in that group,” Clark said Saturday morning at the scene on Deuce of Clubs.

The pickup then struck an APS power pole, breaking it and fled the scene.

https://www.wmicentral.com/motorist-...nAj0hhPhSc_ly8
Old 06-20-21, 02:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
^^^Reading the comments, I'm reminded how willing some folks are to expose their derangement to the world.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-20-21, 02:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
I will be curious when all the drug tests come back. Perhaps phone records. And, also work hours, or hours behind the wheel. Accident reconstruction.

It is possible that somehow he "accidentally" drifted across the street and found himself with a totaled pickup and 7 critically injured cyclists.

We are beginning to see very harsh sentences for drugged drivers that cause multiple deaths.

So, he made the conscious choice to leave the scene.

It may well be difficult to hide the pickup.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-20-21, 02:27 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,850 Posts
Just horrible. Following too-close on the heals of the terrible incident in Las Vegas late last year. The driver in that case got 40 years, btw.

I don't have the energy to speculate on what happened with the driver in this case. He'll be penalized one way or another, but what difference will that make to our safety?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 06-20-21, 02:39 PM
Rick

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I will be curious when all the drug tests come back. Perhaps phone records. And, also work hours, or hours behind the wheel. Accident reconstruction.
If drugs : he chose to do drugs guilty.
If cell phone: he chose to pay attention to the phone guilty.
If to tired: he made another bad choice guilty.

It is possible that somehow he "accidentally" drifted across the street and found himself with a totaled pickup and 7 critically injured cyclists.
Very unlikely: even so doesn't qualify as the all encompassing It was an accident statement.

A few years ago an elderly gentlemen had a heart attack and plowed some bicycle riders. That was an accident. When events happen out of our control we can call it an accident.

A few years ago a police officer on his way home saw the aftermath of an incident involving two bicyclists. He spoke to a man at the scene who bragged about passing them and slamming on the brakes. Even though Doctor Thomas Thompsons layer tried to call it an accident, he still got a 5 year sentence and is no longer an ER doctor.
Likes For Rick:
Old 06-20-21, 04:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
As someone who was recently hit by a car, this is assault with a deadly weapon. Whether it was with malice or negligence, this was assault that resulted in grievious bodily harm and should be prosecuted as such.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-20-21, 08:42 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

(not that when the quote below says the driver hit a telephone pole they mean he already hit the group of cyclists and had the broken front wheel of a bicycle stuck to the front of his truck.

After the truck’s driver hit a telephone pole, cyclists ran up to the truck and started pounding on the windows, screaming at the driver to get out. Instead of stopping, Quinones said the driver hit the accelerator and backed out, drove down the road, made a U-turn and then headed back toward the cyclists but did not hit them again and drove away.

Payne said the driver did not comply when officers tried to arrest him, but the circumstances of the shooting were not immediately made public.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/ap_cnn...fe2a4bb63.html
Old 06-21-21, 06:32 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
I was going to post this AP article when I found this thread. I have to ask myself what's wrong with people that do these things?
https://apnews.com/article/arizona-s...2f181764ca8618
Old 06-21-21, 07:50 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
There are some mad people in America. But in some other places it can be worse.

Old 06-21-21, 08:05 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
I don't think that mattered to the driver. Either that, or he was unaware.
Do you really think someone like that cares about others he doesn't know?
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 06-21-21, 09:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I don't see how politics really fits into this scenario at this point in time, but it doesn't matter for the purposes of this thread. We don't allow politics to be discussed outside the Politics and Religion forum. I guess you can try your political stereotyping and mind reading skills there. But my general advice is to avoid those things because people are complicated and you'll probably be wrong.
Old 06-21-21, 09:38 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Not everything fits into nice neat boxes. This event was sponsored by the local Ford dealer...This event was a benefit for what looks to be an Evangelical Protestant school... Yet, there are those who would try to use this to further their political agenda.
From: https://booksvooks.com/scrolablehtml....html?page=382

He went there. The cage was empty but it had the usual notice reading “Macaque Rhesus.” It had been hurriedly scrawled and nailed to the plywood. It said: “The little monkey that used to live here was blinded because of the senseless cruelty of one of the visitors. An evil man threw tobacco into the Macaque Rhesus’s eyes.”

Oleg was struck dumb. Up to then he had been strolling along, smiling with knowing condescension, but now he felt like yelling and roaring across the whole zoo, as though the tobacco had been thrown into his own eyes, “Why?” Thrown just like that! “Why? It’s senseless! Why?”

What went straight to his heart was the childish simplicity with which it was written. This unknown man, who had already made a safe getaway, was not described as “anti-humanist,” or “an agent of American imperialism”; all it said was that he was evil. This was what was so striking: how could this man be simply “evil”? Children, do not grow up to be evil! Children, do not destroy defenseless creatures!
Old 06-21-21, 06:14 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Police ID man who drove into a group of cyclists

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.