Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Muc off review

Old 07-29-21, 07:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Water, Dishsoap or Simple green and a sponge. You don't need a specialty product to wash your bike.
Old 07-29-21, 07:40 AM
NextDIYikeproj
DIY:er

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Water, Dishsoap or Simple green and a sponge. You don't need a specialty product to wash your bike.
What do you base that on (I’m not saying it’s not true, but would like to hear a broader argumentation about it)?
Old 07-29-21, 08:44 AM
prj71

Bikes collect dirt, grease, grime etc...Dawn dish soap or simple green mixed with hot water in a bucket and sponge are all you need. Plus a hose to rinse it off. There is nothing magical about muc-off other than it's inflated price.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-29-21, 11:21 AM
NextDIYikeproj

Bikes collect dirt, grease, grime etc...Dawn dish soap or simple green mixed with hot water in a bucket and sponge are all you need. Plus a hose to rinse it off. There is nothing magical about muc-off other than it's inflated price.
Well, I agree that it’s probably not an issue. But car cleaners and other type of cleaners are not tested or made for bike parts, like brakes, bearings and other parts. If you buy a, let’s say $6000 or even $10 000 bike, you might not want to take a chance and buy a cheap cleaner. And besides, the muc off is not that expensive in my opinion.

quite like you probably wouldn’t cleana Ferrari with a soap from the 25¢ store, even if it would do the job?!
Old 07-29-21, 11:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by NextDIYikeproj
Well, I agree that it’s probably not an issue. But car cleaners and other type of cleaners are not tested or made for bike parts, like brakes, bearings and other parts. If you buy a, let’s say $6000 or even $10 000 bike, you might not want to take a chance and buy a cheap cleaner. And besides, the muc off is not that expensive in my opinion.

quite like you probably wouldn’t cleana Ferrari with a soap from the 25¢ store, even if it would do the job?!
Nothing wrong with Dawn. It works to clean little sea birds when they get covered in oil spills; likely it's safe for a bike. Probably 1/2 teaspoon would suffice to put in a 32oz spray bottle. A 16oz bottle of Dawn therefore would fill about 200 32oz spray bottles, making each spray bottle's worth about $.05
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-29-21, 12:12 PM
NextDIYikeproj

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nothing wrong with Dawn. It works to clean little sea birds when they get covered in oil spills; likely it's safe for a bike. Probably 1/2 teaspoon would suffice to put in a 32oz spray bottle. A 16oz bottle of Dawn therefore would fill about 200 32oz spray bottles, making each spray bottle's worth about $.05
Again, I don’t say there is anything wrong with it. What I say is that many people prefer a bike specific cleaner on their very expensive bikes. Personally I live in Europe and Dawns i not even heard of here.
Old 07-29-21, 12:53 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Again, I don’t say there is anything wrong with it. What I say is that many people prefer a bike specific cleaner on their very expensive bikes. Personally I live in Europe and Dawns i not even heard of here.
Maybe, but the point is a good one that something like Muc Off and other "bicycle specific" cleaners are more expensive and not necessarily any better. I don't dislike Muc Off or other soaps marketed towards cyclists, just that they are not necessary and probably cost more than necessary.

For instance, the Park Tools degreaser is much more expensive than Simple Green which pretty much does the same thing for much cheaper.
Old 07-29-21, 01:20 PM
prj71

"Bike specific cleaner" is just marketing jibberish.

You seriously don't have this there?

https://dawn-dish.com/en-us
Old 07-29-21, 01:22 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by KJ43
Maybe, but the point is a good one that something like Muc Off and other "bicycle specific" cleaners are more expensive and not necessarily any better. I don't dislike Muc Off or other soaps marketed towards cyclists, just that they are not necessary and probably cost more than necessary.

For instance, the Park Tools degreaser is much more expensive than Simple Green which pretty much does the same thing for much cheaper.
^^^Exactly. I use simple green myself.

Sometimes people get caught up in the marketing of this stuff thinking they are buying a superior product because it says "bike specific"
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-29-21, 02:25 PM
NextDIYikeproj

"Bike specific cleaner" is just marketing jibberish.

You seriously don't have this there?

https://dawn-dish.com/en-us

A lot of things ar marketing jibberish, if paying a few more $ makes you feel safe about you darling (bike) then it’s probably worth it for them.

And no, Dawns soap is an American brand, but we do have dish soap, probably from the same factory in china but in a different bottle! 😉
Old 07-29-21, 02:31 PM
NextDIYikeproj

Originally Posted by KJ43

I agree. 🙂
Likes For NextDIYikeproj:
Old 07-29-21, 05:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts
Have you actually used Muc-Off bike cleaner?

I do find it overkill for cleaning a not-very-dirty road bike, like in the demo. But on a filthy mountain bike I find it is a lot more effective than a bit of dish soap and you don't have to worry about it contaminating shock seals etc. like you do with some other powerful cleaners. Not saying there aren't other cheaper products that would be just as good, but it's not expensive enough for me to be bothered looking elsewhere. A bottle of Muc-Off lasts me for literally years.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-01-21, 05:35 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Just spotted a deal on Muc Off and am going to try some:
https://tools.woot.com/offers/muc-of...rnet+Brands%29
Old 08-01-21, 11:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Just spotted a deal on Muc Off and am going to try some:
https://tools.woot.com/offers/muc-of...rnet+Brands%29
You will find that it works pretty well. It is quite a powerful cleaner while safe on seals etc.
Likes For PeteHski: