Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Difference in chains

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Difference in chains

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 06:48 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Difference in chains

I see some members asking about the best chain for their bikes. Is there a difference in quality, life span, materials, etc?

I imagine that most people walk into the LBS and say replace the chain. Will appreciate the info to better educate.
Old 07-27-21, 07:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
First you need the correct type of chain for your drivetrain. Different sped cassettes use different chains, a 9 speed chain will nto fir a 11 speed cassette.

Then there's different levels, generally a more expensive chain will be lighter.

Then there's color, silver/black/gold and others.
Old 07-27-21, 07:05 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Like everything else there are different quality levels of chain. It's also a good item not to skimp on - after all it is the hardest working part of your entire bike, except for the rider!
Old 07-27-21, 07:07 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Buy one that's designed for your drivetrain. I use the Shimano ultegra.
Old 07-27-21, 07:09 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Buy one that's designed for your drivetrain. I use the Shimano ultegra.
Agreed, can't go wrong with Ultegra on compatible drivetrains.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-27-21, 07:17 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
But obvious brand names are not always the best guide. Shimano has more name recognition, but KMC are in most cases just as good.

Also, depending on your drive train, you can run SRAM chains on Shimano drive trains and vice versa. AFAIK, this is true for both of their 10 and 11 speed lines. Not so for 12 speed, I believe.
Old 07-27-21, 07:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Since chains are a wear item, are easily replaced, vary widely in price, and are made from steel, which can be recycled cheaply, it is not automatically true that the “highest quality” or longest lasting alternative makes the most economic sense. Obviously everyone wants a quiet drivetrain and flawless shifting, but aside from that, I want the chain that costs me the least over time, whether I have to replace it twice or five times.
Old 07-27-21, 07:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
One of the most extensive chain tests was run by Wippermann. Of course, an in-house test, their chains were on top.

Now, I tested some Wippermann chains a while ago. I need to do more testing, but I started blowing out cassettes after switching to Wippermann. I need to watch that more and try to figure out what apparently happened.

KMC also has "e-bike" chains which I'm not sure made the test.
Old 07-27-21, 11:16 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One of the most extensive chain tests was run by Wippermann. Of course, an in-house test, their chains were on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGjcD8xEu8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4cz-JgbOP4

Now, I tested some Wippermann chains a while ago. I need to do more testing, but I started blowing out cassettes after switching to Wippermann. I need to watch that more and try to figure out what apparently happened.

KMC also has "e-bike" chains which I'm not sure made the test.
Sure, tons of little variations that are often poorly explained or not known at all. How much does different chains wear on cogs and chain rings? Does chrome or "gold" plating enhance chain life or reduce friction, and if so how much?- Enough to justify the additional price? What makes a e-bike chain "e-bike". Do they all shift the same or close enough to not matter, - or do I NEED a Shimano chain? etc., etc. ...
Old 07-27-21, 11:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I need to do more testing, but I started blowing out cassettes after switching to Wippermann. I need to watch that more and try to figure out what apparently happened.
Relative hardness? Assuming that you had used the same replacement cassettes, then it seems fairly obvious the Wipperman chains are made from harder grades of stainless steel, which make the chains last longer, but increased the wear on cassettes (and probably chain rings too). While it is not possible to isolate the wear onto the chain alone, I would prefer to replace multiple chains before I have to replace a cassette.
Old 07-28-21, 12:09 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use KMC, SRAM and Shimano HG53 chains, all affordable, not high end. Can't say I notice any difference in performance or durability. I replace 'em about once a year, or every few thousand miles. I don't use a wear gauge or measure them precisely, but after about a year I'll remove the chain and hang it next to a next chain to eyeball the "stretch" from wear. If it's more than a smidge longer than new I'll replace it. I don't think I've ever ridden a chain so long that it caused problems with shifting, etc.

Somewhere around here I have a Dura Ace 10-speed chain, waiting for me to finish putting together a basic TT/tri-bike. We'll see whether it makes any difference.

It's tempting to replace chains more often, because nothing feels or sounds like a brand new chain. It literally feels and sounds like nothing -- silent and smooth. But, nah, too pricey. And I can't say that new chain feel consistently translates to improved performance. The few times a new chain seems to be "faster," I attribute that to enthusiasm over the new chain. IOW, placebo effect.
Old 07-28-21, 08:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Since chains are a wear item, are easily replaced, vary widely in price, and are made from steel, which can be recycled cheaply, it is not automatically true that the “highest quality” or longest lasting alternative makes the most economic sense. Obviously everyone wants a quiet drivetrain and flawless shifting, but aside from that, I want the chain that costs me the least over time, whether I have to replace it twice or five times.
Since we're having fun with charts:
Old 07-29-21, 05:35 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Relative hardness? Assuming that you had used the same replacement cassettes, then it seems fairly obvious the Wipperman chains are made from harder grades of stainless steel, which make the chains last longer, but increased the wear on cassettes (and probably chain rings too). While it is not possible to isolate the wear onto the chain alone, I would prefer to replace multiple chains before I have to replace a cassette.
I was pretty sure the main thing that causes cassette wear is chain wear, since it elongates the chain and concentrates the load on individual teeth.
Old 07-29-21, 06:23 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Since we're having fun with charts:
Nice chart, but what’s on the y-axis: km to 0.5% wear or cost per 10,000 km?
Old 07-29-21, 05:25 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Dura-Ace stacks up pretty well there, cheaper than HG40!
Old 07-29-21, 05:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
In theory, higher end chains are made from harder steel. All things being equal, harder steel lasts longer. But it just might be the case that conditions vary more widely than the hardness so the length your chain lasts is luck of the draw with respect to rain and road grit. I've never seen evidence that a better chain lasts longer in real life. I use KMC chains because they're cheap and they seem to work as well as all the others.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-29-21, 05:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Shimano tends to ride quieter than other most common brands available at the LBS. I go for the quiet ones.
Old 07-29-21, 06:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by noglider
In theory, higher end chains are made from harder steel. All things being equal, harder steel lasts longer. But it just might be the case that conditions vary more widely than the hardness so the length your chain lasts is luck of the draw with respect to rain and road grit. I've never seen evidence that a better chain lasts longer in real life. I use KMC chains because they're cheap and they seem to work as well as all the others.
I currently have a KMC chain on my bike, but I keep seeing these references that KMC is cheaper. Here's their 11-speed lineup. Their bottom couple models are competitively priced, but really not much different from what eg. the 105 series chains price at. As soon as you're in the $50+ range, you can buy Record or DA chains.
https://www.kmcchain.us/X11-Chains_c_60.html
Old 07-29-21, 06:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I currently have a KMC chain on my bike, but I keep seeing these references that KMC is cheaper. Here's their 11-speed lineup. Their bottom couple models are competitively priced, but really not much different from what eg. the 105 series chains price at. As soon as you're in the $50+ range, you can buy Record or DA chains.
https://www.kmcchain.us/X11-Chains_c_60.html
Right, but I haven't seen a compelling reason to spend $50 on a chain. To quote Bartleby the Scrivener, I would prefer not to.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-29-21, 06:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by noglider
Right, but I haven't seen a compelling reason to spend $50 on a chain. To quote Bartleby the Scrivener, I would prefer not to.
Ok, but you can get Shimano or Campy chains in the $30s as well. So I don't necessarily understand the KMC love as a value play.
Old 07-29-21, 06:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Ok, but you can get Shimano or Campy chains in the $30s as well. So I don't necessarily understand the KMC love as a value play.
Right. Sometimes they are not less expensive. In that case, the brand is a tossup. I really don't find differences in quality, though I'll buy a name brand. These new Chinese copies with weird names do not tempt me.

Old 07-30-21, 12:28 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Ultegra or Dura-Ace, no brainer.
Old 07-30-21, 01:58 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Assuming the assumptions made to do the calculation are true. Imo they are not. The fine raw data is polluted with unproven assumptions, leading to conclusions not supported by the data.
Old 07-30-21, 02:39 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Assuming the assumptions made to do the calculation are true. Imo they are not. The fine raw data is polluted with unproven assumptions, leading to conclusions not supported by the data.
Yeah nah, because Shimano.
Old 07-30-21, 05:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Related to this phenomenon, is the evident increase in chain longevity as each iteration in increased gearing has occurred.
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-...ciency-tested/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.