Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub keeps getting louder and louder

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 01:22 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Got some high engagement Choosen hubs by accident when shopping for a new Raleigh Pro
Build wheelset. Since greasing the engagement ring with Lucas Red'n Tacky after every 30km was getting tiresome dicided to "evenly" weaken the springs by bending them inwards. Now it gets just as loud after 60km instead. Some said graphite can keep them reasonably loud for longer, but the only grease with graphite I have is Putoline chain wax which seems to be too sticky and draggy at low loads. Wasn't cycling all about enjoying nature in peace and quiet? Never had any problems with loud freehubs before.
These were advertised as road/cyclecross wheels so there is no need for such a high engagement compared to MTB.

Last edited by sysrq; 07-31-21 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-31-21, 05:49 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Keep pedaling?

Not all freehubs are the same.

I've generally used Shimano. Put a dollop of grease behind the freehub, and they get very quiet.

A few freehubs use a "sprag" or "roller clutch" which would be completely silent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174845642716
Old 07-31-21, 06:06 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Keep pedaling?

Not all freehubs are the same.

I've generally used Shimano. Put a dollop of grease behind the freehub, and they get very quiet.

A few freehubs use a "sprag" or "roller clutch" which would be completely silent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174845642716
Some said the hub and freehub shell should be filled with something to dampen the sound which otherwise gets amplified by these parts. They said to use grease while spray foam could be lighter on the other hand. Not sure if pulling the bearings out in order to fill it up will be worth it since the space will be really small anyway. Probably grease would be the best since the foam can start to rub on something.
Old 07-31-21, 06:23 AM
CliffordK

For an exterior pawl freehub, a little grease in the pawls should help dampen the sound a bit, but at risk of the pawls not engaging properly.

Interesting question about filling empty space in either the hub or freehub with something. It might help deaden the sound.

You don't necessarily want long axle shafts covered with grease all the time as it may increase friction. The foam should stay put, once it is put in. You could add a wax layer or something between the foam and bearings, and make sure it doesn't quite touch the axle. digging it out would be a pain if you ever had to do so.

There are a couple of different types of glue-on car sound deadening materials. Fairly thin rubbery stuff. Neoprene? Perhaps a car detail shop, car restoration shop, or sound shop would have some remnant scraps.

I'm not convinced the sound deadening would make a huge difference, but it might help just enough.
Old 07-31-21, 10:07 AM
sysrq

For an exterior pawl freehub, a little grease in the pawls should help dampen the sound a bit, but at risk of the pawls not engaging properly.

Interesting question about filling empty space in either the hub or freehub with something. It might help deaden the sound.

You don't necessarily want long axle shafts covered with grease all the time as it may increase friction. The foam should stay put, once it is put in. You could add a wax layer or something between the foam and bearings, and make sure it doesn't quite touch the axle. digging it out would be a pain if you ever had to do so.

There are a couple of different types of glue-on car sound deadening materials. Fairly thin rubbery stuff. Neoprene? Perhaps a car detail shop, car restoration shop, or sound shop would have some remnant scraps.

I'm not convinced the sound deadening would make a huge difference, but it might help just enough.
I have some 6mm thick black neoprene sheet which I could put around the hub shell on the outside. Not sure if it will be worth it otherwise everyone would be doing it.
Old 07-31-21, 01:25 PM
CliffordK

Apparently coasting noise isn't a major concern with design. (other than the Sprag/roller clutch freehubs mentioned)

I've heard that drivetrain and pedaling noise also varies among brands.
Old 07-31-21, 04:36 PM
sysrq

Tried out the 6mm neoprene sheet against some aluminium can before cutting it up and the sound became quiter and more pleasant when scraping against it with a screwdriver. The same thing didn't happen with a simple foam sponge.
Old 08-01-21, 06:16 AM
sysrq

So the noise is close to 4kHz for which the ear is the most sensitive to.
Mass loaded vinyl is said to be used the most for sound deadening. I guess neoprene foam should be good enough for such a high frequency.
Old 08-01-21, 03:03 PM
sysrq

After barrowing something which looks like a 30mm×100mm mass loaded vinyl judging by its weight from a kitchen sink, it has become apparent that it doesn't make any difference in terms of noise reduction on the hub, so probably will have to resort to using Putoline chain wax in a freehub or will have to hunt down a new budget wheel with a cartridge bearings.