Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Show me your cruiser.

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Show me your cruiser.

Old 04-13-21, 12:50 AM
Timbeau

Bikes: Schwinn Panther Alfine 8 speed klunker MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Do IGH bikes work OK?
Well... they can.

There's a large number of IGH hubs on the market, and they vary greatly in price, from a couple of hundred to a few thousand dollars.

They have advantages and disadvantages. Some say they put too much weight on the rear axle. Some think they may not handle high torque situations that one would find mountain biking. Some like them because there's no derailleur to break, or chain slap, that they're less likely to be affected by mud, etc. There's a lot of opinions on who's hub is best for this or that application.

I have read some positive things about this hub (Shimano Alfine 8 speed), and in particular, people's reports about their real world experience using it mountain biking. I'm not some Double Black Diamond rider, I don't do big hits, or anything like that. I ride fire roads, flowy singletrack, and love doing long downhill trails; this hub has no problems handling all of that.

That being said, ALL internal gear hubs are persnickety: they need to be set up correctly. Just so. Any number of little things can throw them off. I know some bike mechanics are less familiar with them, so be prepared to just learn how to do things yourself. That requires special tools, taking the time to learn how to do whatever it is you need to do. Removing/replacing the rear wheel takes a few extra steps. Can be a hassle (but certainly not impossible) to change a flat in the field.

But, when they're set up correctly, they're sweet as pie. I really like hub. It seems rugged, gives me a nice range, it feels faster than I was expecting. I'm very happy with it.

What do you have in mind for a klunker? You should totally build one. Everyone should build a klunker.
Old 04-13-21, 10:57 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Timbeau
Well... they can.

There's a large number of IGH hubs on the market, and they vary greatly in price, from a couple of hundred to a few thousand dollars.

They have advantages and disadvantages. Some say they put too much weight on the rear axle. Some think they may not handle high torque situations that one would find mountain biking. Some like them because there's no derailleur to break, or chain slap, that they're less likely to be affected by mud, etc. There's a lot of opinions on who's hub is best for this or that application.

I have read some positive things about this hub (Shimano Alfine 8 speed), and in particular, people's reports about their real world experience using it mountain biking. I'm not some Double Black Diamond rider, I don't do big hits, or anything like that. I ride fire roads, flowy singletrack, and love doing long downhill trails; this hub has no problems handling all of that.

That being said, ALL internal gear hubs are persnickety: they need to be set up correctly. Just so. Any number of little things can throw them off. I know some bike mechanics are less familiar with them, so be prepared to just learn how to do things yourself. That requires special tools, taking the time to learn how to do whatever it is you need to do. Removing/replacing the rear wheel takes a few extra steps. Can be a hassle (but certainly not impossible) to change a flat in the field.

But, when they're set up correctly, they're sweet as pie. I really like hub. It seems rugged, gives me a nice range, it feels faster than I was expecting. I'm very happy with it.

What do you have in mind for a klunker? You should totally build one. Everyone should build a klunker.
Thank you. My bike riding is probably more similar to yours than double black diamonds or bike parks. Between family, work, other things, I’m not going to spend the time to become some super serious downhiller.

I don’t know what I would build. I guess one that fits me close enough (18” MTB bike), has close enough to MTB or BMX geometry, and isn’t too expensive of a frame and fork set. Prefer 1 1/8 thread less.

Within reason the klunker style looks fun. And because I know I’m not doing backflips in Utah or whatever, I guess can get away with not strictly following 2 triangles frames as not super concerned with frame strength.

What does a Panther measure out crank to stem? Rear axle width? Was it originally set up horizontal dropout or more like 3x7? Thanks.
Old 04-13-21, 11:07 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Timbeau
Well... they can.

And NO coaster brakes. I like being able to stand or move my pedal position wherever, whenever I want.
Old 04-13-21, 11:29 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I saw it now. 135mm and horizontal dropouts. Sweet combo.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-15-21, 11:04 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Back in Black !
swapped the green wheelset out for the original black wheelset after changing the rear cog to a 24 tooth for neighborhood cruising .
Put the original Electra saddle back on too . Trying to decide which is more comfortable, leather or padded.
Pulled the rear rack off my Hardrock . I think it looks better .

EDIT: Added the latest picture of my black Electra Cruiser One , which is no longer a One , I swapped the wheels again for a black custom set of aluminum rims with a two speed kick back KT hub . I swapped the cog to a chrome 22 tooth . I went with a bit smaller set of tires , Kenda 26x1.9” cruiser slicks . Brought the overall height down a little where I can touch the ground while seated with my short legs . Put the Brooks B-67 back on too . Just looks cooler

Decided to change up my Electra again today . Thought I’d go more classic look instead of all black .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 04-15-21, 12:24 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Converted this Mongoose IBOC into a cruiser last year. I've since added a basket to the front rack and a Crane brass bell; need to update my photos.

Now with front basket and bell
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 05-09-21, 06:34 PM
brownrider

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi road bike, Cannondale Quick Hybrid, Specialized RockHopper and a beat up beach bike for the sand

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's what I am looking for the summer trip to the beach!
Old 05-10-21, 11:17 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
My Cruiser-esque Fatty. I'm really liking this thing.

High Desert at 7200 Feet
Likes For JehD:
Old 06-15-21, 10:37 AM
ed h

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
1996 Gary Fisher Klunker. I've been looking for one of these for quite some time now. Finally found one in nice shape for a decent price. I have all the original parts it came with. I changed a few things like the pedals, seat and handlebars.

Old 06-15-21, 04:29 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
Fisher's Klunker is definitely one of my dream bikes. I go back and forth on building a period klunker with the motorcycle handlebars, levers and components from the 70s.
Likes For surveyor6:
Old 06-16-21, 08:57 AM
ed h

Originally Posted by surveyor6
Fisher's Klunker is definitely one of my dream bikes. I go back and forth on building a period klunker with the motorcycle handlebars, levers and components from the 70s.

Surveyor6 - The Breezer Ignaz X is another cool looking cruiser, was made from 1996 to 1998. I've been looking for one for about three years and so far never found one.

Must have been made in a lot smaller quantities than the Klunker, as in the same time frame I've seen several Klunkers for sale. Mods will be a little more difficult on the Breezer since it has an internal geared hub and doesn't have the frame bosses for rim brakes.

Last edited by ed h; 06-16-21 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add image
Old 06-18-21, 01:54 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by ed h
Surveyor6 - The Breezer Ignaz X is another cool looking cruiser, was made from 1996 to 1998. I've been looking for one for about three years and so far never found one.

Must have been made in a lot smaller quantities than the Klunker, as in the same time frame I've seen several Klunkers for sale. Mods will be a little more difficult on the Breezer since it has an internal geared hub and doesn't have the frame bosses for rim brakes.

Just run dual pivot in the back?
Old 06-18-21, 01:59 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by surveyor6
Picked up a cantilever bike a couple weeks ago.

Nothing special, but just wanted to learn on it.

Only purpose is this term I’ll have done 21 units and wanted to build a klunker to reward myself until I put the hammer down again next term.

Canti frame probably not as strong and I’m debating on the eccentric bb adapter.
Old 06-20-21, 08:20 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Just run dual pivot in the back?
Never heard of the IGNAZ X. Very good looking bicycle. It looks like it has a roller cam internal brake that Shimano equipped their Nexus hubs with back in the day. I would be careful of this brake on long hard downhills especially in mountainous terrain. I've owned a Nexus 7 speed IGH with the roller brake and the brake was not a powerful brake by any means. However you have a very mountain capable brake in the front cantilever brake so I would take this bike into the mountains. The Nexus 7 speed hub always shifted beautifully. The shifting mechanism wears out after a period of years of steady use and I've had to throw away two Nexus 7 speed hubs. I could find no repair people anywhere that wanted to tackle the shifting mechanism. By the way I used to take my hubs apart a lot after the shifters started acting up. They are really no more difficult to take apart than Sturmey Archer 3 speeds. They do have more parts but they all go back together in a logical manner. The rotary shifting mechanism on the other hand is chock full of parts and very small for all the torque loads that go through it. I never took the shifting mechanism apart and that was where the wear that caused the hubs demise occurred.
Old 06-21-21, 05:27 AM
ed h

There is a really cool looking Breezer Ignaz X on this website that has been converted to a rear deraileur. What really makes the Breezer stand out is the paint job, which is
reminiscent of the original 1930 Schwinn balloon tire bikes. The 1996 bikes came in a blue and white paint scheme.

Mountain bikes and road bikes

Last edited by ed h; 06-21-21 at 12:31 PM. Reason: correct link
Old 06-21-21, 09:56 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I like that Breezer. A friend brought by a look alike to have the twist grip changed to a trigger. I was impressed how nice it rode.
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...0/1999_63.html
Old 06-21-21, 12:22 PM
ed h

Originally Posted by curbtender
I like that Breezer. A friend brought by a look alike to have the twist grip changed to a trigger. I was impressed how nice it rode.
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...0/1999_63.html
I was thinking actually for a while of finding a Schwinn Cruiser Supreme, but they too have not been made for quite some time now. Looked on ebay and other places for a while and didn't see many of them for sale. Actually the current Heavy Duti uses the same frame style but is only available as a single speed coaster brake. The paint job on the Schwinn does look pretty nice but note the top tube and seat stays are more squared off compared to the Breezer Ignaz or Gary Fisher Klunker. Of course if money was no object, my choice would be a Retrotec Double. Get the retro look with all modern components.

https://ingliscycles.com/retrotec-double/

Last edited by ed h; 06-21-21 at 12:27 PM. Reason: updated link
Old 06-21-21, 07:44 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I was thinking actually for a while of finding a Schwinn Cruiser Supreme, but they too have not been made for quite some time now. Looked on ebay and other places for a while and didn't see many of them for sale. Actually the current Heavy Duti uses the same frame style but is only available as a single speed coaster brake. The paint job on the Schwinn does look pretty nice but note the top tube and seat stays are more squared off compared to the Breezer Ignaz or Gary Fisher Klunker. Of course if money was no object, my choice would be a Retrotec Double. Get the retro look with all modern components.

The Double | Inglis & Retrotec Cycles
I really like those.
Old 06-24-21, 02:31 PM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts

That red with white spears must have been popular in the late 90's. I have an Electra Eric Malone Signature from that era.

I've installed Velo Orange sealed headset bearings, Shimano sealed bottom bracket bearings and changed the Nexus 7 for an 8.

Likes For hevysrf:
Old 06-28-21, 11:31 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
1996 Gary Fisher Klunker. I've been looking for one of these for quite some time now. Finally found one in nice shape for a decent price. I have all the original parts it came with. I changed a few things like the pedals, seat and handlebars.

That is seriously awesome. I would love to have one of those or a Sawyer. Those frames are just so classic.
Likes For JehD:
Old 07-01-21, 11:12 AM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
That is a seriously cool bicycle. Is that a shifter on the rear seat stay? If so what type of hub and how many gears are you running? Is that a one off front fork. I just love the whole layout of this bike. The handlebars sweeping curves are just right. This bike would fit right in on our local custom /BMX cruiser bike riding scene here in Sacramento, CA.
Thanks! It’s a kick in the pants to ride! It’s running a three speed Sturmy Archer hub in a 140mm cassette, the handlebars were made by Anthony Hobbs, Flying Machine Bike Co. in Fairfield CA. He has some of his work at both Mid Town Cycles in Sac. & Sutter St. Cruisers in Folsom. The front fork is an “off the shelf” Ruff Regulator. Here in Pleasanton we’ve got a dozen or so custom cruiser guys & even more BMX & 29er wheelie bikes that all ride together! 🤘🏻
Old 07-20-21, 08:21 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Here.

Cruiser kickstand def pops out when riding more aggressively than cruising.

Pedals need rebuild. 170 cranks probably max with this BB drop.

Fork crown drilled hole for brake bolt. Flap disked crown front and back 1/8” each maybe so nut will make.

Rear caliper made cheesy brackets at work to drop caliper.

Pulled back wheel off junk MTB I bought for parts. 18tooth freewheel good for around town, 22 would be better for serious off-roading.

I learned the basics of truing a wheel, replacing spokes, and rear axle width being a function of simple spacers and/or washers on cheap bikes. Minor redish of wheel.

Need saddle and better brake pads.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-21-21, 09:15 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Rear caliper made cheesy brackets at work to drop caliper.
Do your cheesy brackets keep the rear brake calipers centered?
Old 07-21-21, 07:05 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Do your cheesy brackets keep the rear brake calipers centered?
So far.

Will confess if they don’t.
Old 07-22-21, 07:47 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
So far.

Will confess if they don’t.
Well, until they don't they aren't cheesy brackets they are brilliantly engineered brackets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.