Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Please tell me that this is an electric bike!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 06:25 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Passed me like I was standing still.
Old 08-10-13, 06:29 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Passed me like I was standing still which is not that unusual.
Old 08-10-13, 07:06 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
At least it wasn't an old lady on a trike
Old 08-10-13, 09:12 PM
longbeachgary

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
At least it wasn't an old lady on a trike
It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 08-10-13, 11:27 PM
DoubleDiamonDog

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry LBG - I think that guy is just a beast...
Old 08-10-13, 11:49 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rear hub looks big enough that it might just be a very small and compact 250-watt internally geared rear hub motor. But, those motors have noticeable gear noise which I heard none of when he passed you. That was either a pedal only bike and he passed you fair and square or it's a very stealthy and very quiet small rear hub motor build and my bet is for the former rather then the latter. Realize that many people including myself for short burst can break above 20-mph on a pedal only bike on the flat and some roadies can do 30+mph for short bursts. It's entirely possible he passed you like that under pedal power alone, I just don't think he could maintain that kind of pace for more then a mile or so.
Old 08-11-13, 08:13 AM
CigTech

Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look at the frame, PEDEGO on it. So yes it's an E-Bike. Your ego is safe.
Old 08-13-13, 02:11 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I have a small Q100 that is silent. Even my noisy one (with compound gears) is quiet at speed. And it is about the size of the one on that bike.

But, that guy wasn't pedaling hard, he had a motor on the rear wheel and the bike says pedigo.

Originally Posted by turbo1889
The rear hub looks big enough that it might just be a very small and compact 250-watt internally geared rear hub motor. But, those motors have noticeable gear noise which I heard none of when he passed you. That was either a pedal only bike and he passed you fair and square or it's a very stealthy and very quiet small rear hub motor build and my bet is for the former rather then the latter. Realize that many people including myself for short burst can break above 20-mph on a pedal only bike on the flat and some roadies can do 30+mph for short bursts. It's entirely possible he passed you like that under pedal power alone, I just don't think he could maintain that kind of pace for more then a mile or so.
Old 08-19-13, 01:03 PM
iridie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha!
as mentioned the frame does say pedego but, as far as that guy beasting past you on pedals alone.......I would cry
Old 08-19-13, 01:17 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Could be on assist.. but judging by his cadence and the way he moves himself/his bike.. I'd guess he's got really really really strong legs and passed you under his own power.. even more impressive since odds are it is indeed an electric bike which means even more added weight.
Old 08-19-13, 02:44 PM
longbeachgary

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Could be on assist.. but judging by his cadence and the way he moves himself/his bike.. I'd guess he's got really really really strong legs and passed you under his own power.. even more impressive since odds are it is indeed an electric bike which means even more added weight.
You might be right. Next ride on the MUP is on my motorcycle.
Old 08-19-13, 03:18 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Originally Posted by longbeachgary
You might be right. Next ride on the MUP is on my motorcycle.
>.< I love your bike path btw... damn youz!
Old 08-19-13, 03:25 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That guy is pedaling like he's moving 10-12 mph and sitting bolt upright with all sorts of heavy stuff to lug around (including his own not so light self). I don't think he's doing that on only his own power.
Old 08-19-13, 03:33 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by aramis
That guy is pedaling like he's moving 10-12 mph and sitting bolt upright with all sorts of heavy stuff to lug around (including his own not so light self). I don't think he's doing that on only his own power.
We're seeing it different ways obviously, looks like a roadie low cadence highest gear power mash to me.
Old 08-19-13, 04:19 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We're seeing it different ways obviously, looks like a roadie low cadence highest gear power mash to me.
Looks like a really overweight guy on a mup to me.
Old 08-19-13, 04:28 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Looks like a really overweight guy on a mup to me.
He's definitely big, but I've drafted off someone with his physique and on a non electric hybrid as he dropped roadies, he also happened to use what looks to me as the same cadence..
Old 08-19-13, 06:14 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He's definitely big, but I've drafted off someone with his physique and on a non electric hybrid as he dropped roadies, he also happened to use what looks to me as the same cadence..
I've never understood "dropping" people you aren't riding with unless it's an unwelcome drafter or something. I have people pass me on main roads all the time when I'm on my way back from a ride or starting a ride or warming up or cooling down or barely able to turn the pedals or whatever. When you pass someone you have no idea if they just finished a max TT effort or if they're just putzing around and enjoying the day or if they are going full throttle.
Old 08-19-13, 06:31 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

I've never understood "dropping" people you aren't riding with unless it's an unwelcome drafter or something. I have people pass me on main roads all the time when I'm on my way back from a ride or starting a ride or warming up or cooling down or barely able to turn the pedals or whatever. When you pass someone you have no idea if they just finished a max TT effort or if they're just putzing around and enjoying the day or if they are going full throttle.
It was only dropping because the roadies tried to catch back up and fell behind again, at least I should say they were dropped IMO. Does that clarify the scenario that I experienced and was discussing with you?
Old 08-19-13, 06:53 PM
longbeachgary

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you have no idea if they just finished a max TT effort or if they're just putzing around and enjoying the day or if they are going full throttle.
I'll go with that....
Old 08-26-13, 08:36 AM
chas58

+1.

If you are going to sustain 20mph, you are going to have a much higher cadence.
If you are just going to mash it for the quick pass, you are going to be straining a bit more than that guy was.

Old 08-26-13, 12:26 PM
alienbogey

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Brompton M6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I chug around on our hybrids, often running errands with groceries in the saddle bags, and joke about running down and passing the TDF-kitted out lean guys on their unobtanium-framed road bikes who whizz by us.

Do largely to a balky knee of mine we've decided to add electric-assist to our bikes, and once they're installed I'm REALLY looking forward to actually passing one of those guys on a hill.

Electric-assist kit: $1,000

Look on racer-bike guy's face: Priceless

Old 08-26-13, 12:33 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My partner is a big guy, former pro, and can mash gears that would make my knees explode.
Old 08-28-13, 12:31 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
My partner is a big guy, former pro, and can mash gears that would make my knees explode.
Yep, I ride and train with people that can mash gears in ways that we can only dream about. 2,000+ (pedal only) watts on a power meter in a trained athlete accelerating a bike from 0 to 40mph in under 150 meters is a breathtaking thing to watch.

It however, does not look anything like that guy in the video who clearly has 500++ watts on top of the ~200 he is adding to the bike.
Old 08-28-13, 12:48 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by alienbogey
My wife and I chug around on our hybrids, often running errands with groceries in the saddle bags, and joke about running down and passing the TDF-kitted out lean guys on their unobtanium-framed road bikes who whizz by us.

Do largely to a balky knee of mine we've decided to add electric-assist to our bikes, and once they're installed I'm REALLY looking forward to actually passing one of those guys on a hill.

Electric-assist kit: $1,000

Look on racer-bike guy's face: Priceless

Hmm. I do wonder sometimes about the competition against fellow bikers. Certainly the people passionate about riding to the point they will train regularly (i.e. the lycra crowd) get a bad rap – both from people who drive cars and those who ride bikes.

I have thought about blowing past a lycra guy on a training ride, but why? Seems so silly, I have never actually done it (while riding an ebike – I have no hesitation about doing it while riding a pedal only bike)

Cars on the other hand. I often have them pull out in front of me just so they will be first. Most people are good, but there are a few who don’t think anything about cutting off a bicycle. Then they are surprised when I draft behind them and stay right with them (any car can beat me in a straight line, but on a road with lots of turns, the bike will be faster. To me, keeping up with automotive traffic is more interesting than keeping up with a guy who spends 8-10 hours a week training.

But in the last few years, people are slowly starting to become aware of bike traffic and that they are not the only people on the road. Shoot, 5 years ago no one expected to see a bike used for transportation around here. That has been a positive change.

Cost of my ebike kit: $500.
Look on automobile driver’s face: Priceless.
Old 08-30-13, 03:55 PM
longbeachgary

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I thought the electric bike was bad enough but this:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.