Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 01:59 PM
Timbeau

Bikes: Schwinn Panther Alfine 8 speed klunker MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Are there any training or certification courses for Derny Drivers in the US? I've emailed both USA Cycling and USA Derny, but haven't heard back from either one. British Cycling has a course, I was wondering if there was anything equivalent here in the US.
Old 10-11-16, 02:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I've never heard of such, but it would be a nice thing.
Old 10-12-16, 07:49 PM
rustymongrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Does anyone have experience using an older wired road SRM on the track? I have one I picked up recently in a trade with a friend. I've seen a few forum posts elsewhere with some saying it works and others saying it doesn't, including Andy Coggan saying that it can be done. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it.

I also have the ability to machine a 144bcd adapter plate for it, so chainline and chainring compatability won't be an issue.
Old 10-12-16, 09:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

I've seen it done.

I think the biggest thing is to get your adapter system right. I recall there used to be one or two people who would sell adapters to mate with Quark and other PMs for use on the track. So, you might be better off buying one and having it by the end of the week as opposed to creating one from scratch.

Or you could probably buy a set of 130bcd chainrings and be done with it, provided that you get your chainline right. That might be easiest if you are the type to only use 3 or 4 chainrings.

I guess you have options.

One thing to consider now is the battery in the head unit. They are not user-replaceable. Meaning, that you have to mail it off to SRM in Colorado to be replaced. So, if you need that replaced, do it now while you work on the bigger solution with the chainrings/adapter. It's possible to have a shop like Batteries Plus replace it, but I've never done it. So I wouldn't know what to tell you to tell them. I sent mine back to SRM (I had 2 wired SRM Track Powercontrol V long ago).
Old 10-13-16, 06:29 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rustymongrel
Does anyone have experience using an older wired road SRM on the track? I have one I picked up recently in a trade with a friend.
Which type? Pro with SRM arms or Dura ace etc? Heard the older Pro model is usually okay. As you already now have it, why not fit it using an existing chainring and look at the data before either making an adapter (adapters are 110 BCD and the Pro is 130 BCD so won't work?) or buying 130 BCD track chainrings.
Old 10-13-16, 07:37 PM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pro with srm octalink arms.

A 110-144bcd adapter plate will work with any chainring but 130-144 will work with chainrings that have defined "arms" like dura-ace or campy since the holes are offset.
Old 10-13-16, 09:12 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the correction. Interested hear how the Pro goes fixed, as I picked up an Amateur for cheap to go on the fixed gear commuter. Though if it doesn't work will just run it single speed...
Old 10-18-16, 06:36 AM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I got it going and tested it out on the track Sunday with a 130bcd track chainring. Data looked okay considering it was set to 9s recording. I've changed it to 0.5s for next time since data storage isn't really a concern. At 0.5s you can still get 3hr of riding on there.

The chainline is off though. I spaced my cog out as much as I could while still being able to fit a lockring and its okay but not great. Chainring I have is a 50t which is super useful for me so I'll just keep it as is for bit until I figure out if I want to keep going with power on my track bike.
Old 10-24-16, 03:45 PM
weavie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weavie
Good to know, thanks.
I'm going to try the topeak, hopefully it'll be good enough. Hirame/Hiro heads show up on eBay every once in a while, maybe I'll get lucky.
Following up, the topeak adapter is nice but vittoria tubulars are all smooth valves and the couple of threads at the top aren't enough to get a solid hold. I came across a Hirame adapter and it works better than the crack pipe because it frees up a hand, but its a tight fit in the hole so there's likely some discs that wouldn't work.
Old 10-25-16, 11:12 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Looking for recommendations on a chain tensioner.
Old 10-25-16, 09:11 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Looking for recommendations on a chain tensioner.
Rockwerks Chain Tension Adjuster, Black

Old 10-26-16, 01:53 AM
TDinBristol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the MKS tensioners for 10mm dropouts (assuming you're on alu or carbon) work really well - you use a 3mm allen wrench to tighten.

Old 10-26-16, 09:02 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by TDinBristol
I think the MKS tensioners for 10mm dropouts (assuming you're on alu or carbon) work really well - you use a 3mm allen wrench to tighten.

Those are very well-made...and time-consuming to use in practice.

Also, they come in two widths: narrow for old-school steel type dropouts and wide for newer dropouts that are thicker. But, even the wide model may not fit.
Old 10-26-16, 11:11 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I've seen the wider version listed as 8mm dropout width vs 5mm for the narrow. Need to measure to see if that's adequate.

I'm not looking foreword to the added PITA. This is more mental than some massive power driven need. I pulled a wheel recently doing standing starts and apparently that's frequent enough to get stuck in my weak minded head
Old 10-26-16, 06:15 PM
TDinBristol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
I've seen the wider version listed as 8mm dropout width vs 5mm for the narrow. Need to measure to see if that's adequate.

I'm not looking foreword to the added PITA. This is more mental than some massive power driven need. I pulled a wheel recently doing standing starts and apparently that's frequent enough to get stuck in my weak minded head
Voodoo - right you are - the MKS are for 10mm axles and 8mm wide dropouts. Apologies.
Old 11-03-16, 12:10 PM
tobukog

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Question here: Does anyone make track cranksets (144bcd) that are shorter than 165mm? I see some BMX / fixie type, but a quick look comes up pretty empty.
Old 11-03-16, 04:11 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridea make crank in 155 and 160mm length is the only crank I could find with <165mm option
Old 11-03-16, 06:32 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
Question here: Does anyone make track cranksets (144bcd) that are shorter than 165mm? I see some BMX / fixie type, but a quick look comes up pretty empty.
I believe Rotor will make them pretty small, down to 135mm I heard??
Old 11-03-16, 08:54 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
There is a road Gebhardt 150mm crankset for sale over here ATM and I have seen a track 177.5mm (edit:the pricelist I was looking at didn't list these, but the site itself does) crankset from them too. My point is that both those sizes are outside those listed on their website, so presumably they can and will make special order sizes

Last edited by brawlo; 11-03-16 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 02:46 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am planning to get a membership from 'barbell brigade'(check their youtube channel). I think this is the perfect gym for me because it's open 24/7(i usually sleep at 2am because of the projects....) and it's only 2.2 miles away from my apartment and school.

So I am talking about the gym because i want to find a coach their(he or she might be a weightlifter and other). If he or she ask me what I want, what should I tell he or she about track cycling?
Or should I just show few pictures of Chris Hoy, Shane Perkins, and other track sprinters?
Old 11-06-16, 03:49 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a few people who lift there, including at least one trackie from VSC. You are lucky to have such a well-equipped gym so close to you.

As for coach/programming... I would suggest really spending some time finding one that matches your goals/priorities (which assumes, of course, that you already know what those are). Is cycling your priority, or general strength/fitness? If cycling... track cycling? If track cycling... sprint or enduro? Not that there is a huge difference, but if you are going to the trouble and expense of hiring a coach, you might as well get one that best aligns with your goals.
Old 11-06-16, 04:03 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
I know a few people who lift there, including at least one trackie from VSC. You are lucky to have such a well-equipped gym so close to you.

As for coach/programming... I would suggest really spending some time finding one that matches your goals/priorities (which assumes, of course, that you already know what those are). Is cycling your priority, or general strength/fitness? If cycling... track cycling? If track cycling... sprint or enduro? Not that there is a huge difference, but if you are going to the trouble and expense of hiring a coach, you might as well get one that best aligns with your goals.
Oh sorry for not explaining what I want.
I thought most of the member knew about me.
I want to focus on sprinting. I don't care about how I look hahaha
So if you know any couch who could help me, I would love to talk to him or her.
If he or she is a great coach, I will pay what they want

Thanks
Old 11-07-16, 07:41 AM
carleton
Elitist

At the gym, just focus on a strength building program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5...basically focus on progressing your squat and others.

You are in the beginning stages of lifting. You won't need a specialized program for track sprinting. You just need to lift 3x per week and ride 2 of the other days and have 2 days off to rest, recover, and study more.
Old 11-07-16, 08:33 AM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'd have a think about explosive strength as well so not just focussing on the actual weight but also the speed of moving the weight.
Old 11-07-16, 08:45 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I made a picture about getting better at things. It applies to cycling.

As a beginner, you can make great progress without putting in much time and effort - just by:
1. Reading some basic materials
2. Following simple programming
3. Going harder than you did during your last hard workout

While a coach can help accelerate this process, a coach's real value is AFTER somebody passes through these beginner and intermediary phases, and hits a point where their improvement slows down a LOT (or stops happening). Basically, a coach is important on the blue line. When time and effort doesn't pay off in gains, and you need to be a lot smarter about how to use time and effort to improve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.